ADVERTISEMENT

The propaganda has started. Bet he’s coming back

You are right that I get upset with comments on this board from time to time. You are no better Jake. You seem to be upset because you can't change what other people think. Give it up man.
I don’t get mad on here. Aggravated but never mad. I make mistakes on here all the time. I apologize to people for it too. I apologized to someone today. I would have apologized to JonathanW because my post that made him mad I was joking about. But when he melted down and called me gay and stuff like that I didn’t feel the need to apologize anymore.

I got a serious question for you though since you like Alabama football. How do you think Alabama football fans would react if they had a coach that said they weren’t there to win games and their goal was to send kids to the NFL. Then turned around and had the worst season in school history and had some historically bad losses? How do you think they would react if a coach did all that and took shots at fans during that time? If you’re honest you know how that would go.

Define “available “. Does that mean currently without a job? That’s possible. But that is NOT our search limitation, I think very few are “not available “. I’m sure every one of us could name 5+ better, often not the same 5
The post you got so mad about was meant to be a joke.

Reactions: Fox2monk
There’s a difference between who’s available and who’s $$$available$$$.

Right now we don’t know what we have to offer anyone so of course no one’s “available.”
I get that but I’m getting the vibe that they aren’t going to do anything. Matt jones is connected. He knows what’s going on more then any of us on this board I would think

I don’t get mad on here. Aggravated but never mad. I make mistakes on here all the time. I apologize to people for it too. I apologized to someone today. I would have apologized to JonathanW because my post that made him mad I was joking about. But when he melted down and called me gay and stuff like that I didn’t feel the need to apologize anymore.

I got a serious question for you though since you like Alabama football. How do you think Alabama football fans would react if they had a coach that said they weren’t there to win games and their goal was to send kids to the NFL. Then turned around and had the worst season in school history and had some historically bad losses? How do you think they would react if a coach did all that and took shots at fans during that time? If you’re honest you know how that would go.
Nick Saban was , for the most part, very cerebral in his statements. He would not have made a statement like that.
To be honest though , he could say anything he chose to say because he was the GOAT. Cal has a bad habit of talking just to be talking. Kinda like Michael Scott in The Office. He says stuff that he doesn't think through. It's just his way and it is a weak part of his makeup.

Nick Saban was , for the most part, very cerebral in his statements. He would not have made a statement like that.
To be honest though , he could say anything he chose to say because he was the GOAT. Cal has a bad habit of talking just to be talking. Kinda like Michael Scott in The Office. He says stuff that he doesn't think through. It's just his way and it is a weak part of his makeup.
Nick Saban is the goat.

If any major programs coach said the things that Cal has including under those circumstances our program has been in, their fans would go crazy just like they have on this board. Imagine if you were a fan that traveled with the team and went to the champions classic, sec tournament or ncaa tournament and you read or hear coach say they don’t care about winning its all about the NBA. You're just asking for trouble

I get that but I’m getting the vibe that they aren’t going to do anything. Matt jones is connected. He knows what’s going on more then any of us on this board I would think
Anything’s possible. And from a certain point of view it certainly would make sense to suffer through another year under Cal if you don’t think the timing is right to get any of your favorite replacements in the door.

But three factors mitigate that line of reasoning.

First, as I said, a lot more people will become “available” if that seat officially opens up and real money is being offered, especially if it’s higher money (probably topping off at six or seven mil/year because we’ll be under that Cal-buyout mortgage unless the Craft family or some other person or collective really comes up with a lump sum).

Second, among the specific people we’d want who are not available now, what is the actual likelihood any of them would be any more available a year from today? Another year of Cal doesn’t really buy us much of anything in terms of who’s available. But it could hurt the program a LOT. And that toxicity could possibly make fewer people want to be available. (Although honestly I don’t think that would be a real big factor, because it’s getting to the point where any idiot should be able to see Cal holds most of the cards because of his buyout and most of the toxicity is coming from him.)

And third, keeping Cal another year isn’t really so attractive in terms of its bottom line, once you turn away from the replacement coach question and focus in on it. Keeping Cal another year comes with the prospect of lost ticket sales, soured relationships with boosters and season ticket-holders that won’t be easy to rebuild, and ultimately the prospect of losing leverage with ESPN. On one hand, ESPN is certainly not going to drop us cold turkey if we start having game after game with empty arenas, on top of a continually mediocre record. In fact, for a while empty Rupp would be a curiosity and would probably boost viewership. But that side show would only last so long, and then it would contribute to the likelihood of a sea change. We’ve always been in the driver’s seat when negotiating contracts with ESPN because we’re such a draw. That’s not guaranteed if we don’t remain the same draw, and another year under Cal would definitely move that needle, and not in the right direction.

This is all one reason I wish options like short-term contracts with Pitino or Pearl were on the table. I realize they are not, realistically. But there are real numerical reasons why something like that would be a better bottom-line decision than stick our head in the sand another year and hope the Cal problem goes away.

Anything’s possible. And from a certain point of view it certainly would make sense to suffer through another year under Cal if you don’t think the timing is right to get any of your favorite replacements in the door.

But three factors mitigate that line of reasoning.

First, as I said, a lot more people will become “available” if that seat officially opens up and real money is being offered, especially if it’s higher money (probably topping off at six or seven mil/year because we’ll be under that Cal-buyout mortgage unless the Craft family or some other person or collective really comes up with a lump sum).

Second, among the specific people we’d want who are not available now, what is the actual likelihood any of them would be any more available a year from today? Another year of Cal doesn’t really buy us much of anything in terms of who’s available. But it could hurt the program a LOT. And that toxicity could possibly make fewer people want to be available. (Although honestly I don’t think that would be a real big factor, because it’s getting to the point where any idiot should be able to see Cal holds most of the cards because of his buyout and most of the toxicity is coming from him.)

And third, keeping Cal another year isn’t really so attractive in terms of its bottom line, once you turn away from the replacement coach question and focus in on it. Keeping Cal another year comes with the prospect of lost ticket sales, soured relationships with boosters and season ticket-holders that won’t be easy to rebuild, and ultimately the prospect of losing leverage with ESPN. On one hand, ESPN is certainly not going to drop us cold turkey if we start having game after game with empty arenas, on top of a continually mediocre record. In fact, for a while empty Rupp would be a curiosity and would probably boost viewership. But that side show would only last so long, and then it would contribute to the likelihood of a sea change. We’ve always been in the driver’s seat when negotiating contracts with ESPN because we’re such a draw. That’s not guaranteed if we don’t remain the same draw, and another year under Cal would definitely move that needle, and not in the right direction.

This is all one reason I wish options like short-term contracts with Pitino or Pearl were on the table. I realize they are not, realistically. But there are real numerical reasons why something like that would be a better bottom-line decision than stick our head in the sand another year and hope the Cal problem goes away.
I wish the younger generation could have witnessed how fun it was here when Rick was the coach. They got to just see him as a rival. Being a UK fan in the 90s was a special time.

You're right! Why have fans at all?
Even when they have a crowd on fire they still lose in the first round. The program might want to worry about teaching the players how to get in a guarding stance more so than who is sitting or standing or yelling in the audience. Fans can't help them understand the fundamentals. Fans can cheer until they lose their voice but if the players can't guard a fencepost, fans are meaningless.

Last edited:
Matt used to be connected. Peevey was that connection and he's gone. I'm sure Matt still hears stuff but he's not plugged in like he was a decade ago

Matt Jones sucks. He qualified his statements and left himself some breathing room with that sweet. Using words like "somewhat" and "probably". That creates a rhetorical escape route for him.
My thoughts exactly, just a hedge, he gave his opinion but this is just to have stuff to talk about I think.

Reactions: BlueSince92
I wouldn’t be surprised.

I will still pull for the team to do well. I will not make UK basketball a high priority in my life or plan my evenings and weekends arounds games. I won’t be going back to Rupp (usually try to get to 2-3 games a year) or buying UK gear for the remainder of Cal’s tenure.
That’s how I was this season. I listened to probably 2/3s of the games on radio while doing something else and I bet I listened/watched less than half the games in their entirety. Probably only missed two or three games altogether, but one of them was the first round of the SEC tourney, lol.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Calipari is not going to change and some of you might as well except that. Git rid of the butt head.
No one expects Cal to change and how this got spun into saying he would is beyond me. You don't give Calipari the option if you are Mitch. Grow a set like he did with Tubby, tell him what is going to happen and if he doesn't like it (he won't) fire his ass. Tubby refused, so he resigned and tucked tail all the way to Minnesota. You all are trying to find a way, well here is one. This is definitely within Mitch's control. Something has to give and only he can do it.

There may not be a glaringly ‘better’ option , as that’s been discussed on this board a lot . People are saying Donovan , Few, Stephens….stuff that isn’t happening. It’s gonna be someone most will feel is pretty dull and won’t excite , but that’s part of it , really . It definitely won’t be someone that gets top 3 classes , etc
Well, we’ve seen where top 3 classes get us

Reactions: dl51344
I want Calipari gone as much as the next person and not advocating for him to stay. I'm simply saying, if you can't get rid of his ass which may unfortunately happen, force his hand to make changes. You don't give Calipari options here and make the remaining years here hell. Don't give into him. Yes, this is 100% something Mitch can control if he just grows a set and tell him what he told Tubby in 2007 about shaking up his staff. Comply or disobey an order from your boss and fire his ass for noncompliance.
Ahhh the operative phrase here is if Mitch just grows a set
I’m sorry darlin I don’t see that either

Yeah I mean, we're saying two different things here. I get that he needs to go, but I don't think it's happening this year.

Honestly, I don't know why we dont do a buyout, and then just hire a cheap young coach for 2 years.. an upstart guy, kind of a longshot, for $2mil.. If it doesn't work, then we don't really lose much, and we rehire in 2 years. But, this could be a great coaching mind on the come up, who we just snagged before someone else did. It makes sense financially, too.

Or, if I was Mitch and the school.. you kind of have one final play. Incentivize the Final 4. Give Cal another Million in bonus if he can get a Final4. $2 Mil if he can win a title...
I think the contracts should be heavily incentive based in general. Base salary of $500k (enough so they don’t starve you know, lol). $2mil for winning the SEC, $2mil for SEC tournament champs, $5mil for an NCAA championship. Lesser rewards for accomplishments short of those benchmarks.

And I agree on going for a cheaper young coach (assuming none of the top tier bite—Donovan, Stevens, Wright). My vote is for Otzelberger at Iowa St. Give him 3 years to prove himself and if it isn’t working out, part ways and bring in an established coach.

Would Kentucky fire John Calipari without already having their chosen replacement in hand? Given the financials and the magnitude of the situation....what's your take as Kentucky fans?

On Twitter you got Matt jones saying their is no better coach then Cal available, which is crazy after what’s happened recently. Then even on here you got random people that I rarely have seen on here trying to get people to buy into Cal hiring different assistants. They don’t wanna pay the buy out and got their puppets on board with trying to persuade people on social media into wanting to keep Cal around. SMH
Great news!

My thoughts exactly, just a hedge, he gave his opinion but this is just to have stuff to talk about I think.
With the season ending and everyone at odds, it is just smart business for MJ. Drives up ratings for KSR. As long as Jones tells people what they want to hear, like saying he did not think Cal would be the coach come Friday, Kentucky fans will listen.

I think it is time for Cal to go. But I am already pissed off about all of the morons who will immediately bitch and moan at whoever replaces him.

This will happen. The ones who scream loudest about firing Cal will scream loudest if we don’t get the best hire in the history of college basketball.

I hate Cal as everyone knows and couldn’t bring myself to pay him 33 million.
I would buy every house around him and put convicts, drug attics, and prostitutes in all of them.
If he moved I would do it over and over.

Then I’d buy all the tickets to Rupp and let it sit empty.
Why do hate people especially Cal. The players are young you moron.

Even when they have a crowd on fire they still lose in the first round. The program might want to worry about teaching the players how to get in a guarding stance more so than who is sitting or standing or yelling in the audience. Fans can't help them understand the fundamentals. Fans can cheer until they lose their voice but if the players can't guard a fencepost, fans are meaningless.
I agree! We should play in a bubble like the NBA did in COVID! Why waste labor on vendors? We can just play in an empty gym! Great insight!

Nothing probably happens to Cal but it needs to for the better of both parties involved. I do think it is interesting that they have even had internal discussions compared to years past where Barnhart was supportive immediately after the losses. Barnhart declining comment after the loss shows where he stands but in the end, he is responsible for not calling Cal's bluff to UCLA and handing him this contract.

I agree! We should play in a bubble like the NBA did in COVID! Why waste labor on vendors? We can just play in an empty gym! Great insight!
We are losing either way and that is the problem. You can't win this argument. The proof is the scoreboard.

I respect you as a poster
But there’s no maybe if he to it
He’s done and …maybe he has early dementia or something..but he doesn’t seem to get it

He needs to go now
Agree…starting to hear this yearly…this was a year that cal needed to get out of the first weekend and at a minimum end up loosing to a higher seed…this was his worst case scenario to flame out with no fight in the SEC and NCAA. How many times are we going to say wait until next year. I love Cal, he gave us some great seasons…but since 2020 of anyone else coaching UK history put up these results and was out of touch with the fans and media they’d be gone. I wish he made a run and made it to the final four or won it all and then went out on his own terms…but like Matt Jones said, how can we have any excitement or faith in this system or he as a coach going forward? How can Cal change when he doesn’t even acknowledge that there IS a problem?

With the season ending and everyone at odds, it is just smart business for MJ. Drives up ratings for KSR. As long as Jones tells people what they want to hear, like saying he did not think Cal would be the coach come Friday, Kentucky fans will listen.
Yup, I don’t agree with Matty Bangs a lot but I did enjoy KSR when it was coming up and the show is okay most times. I may not agree with him but he’s obviously intelligent. He did graduate from a great law school and has created a nice business for himself. Can’t argue that he’s not done a good job for himself.

Would Kentucky fire John Calipari without already having their chosen replacement in hand? Given the financials and the magnitude of the situation....what's your take as Kentucky fans?
I think Mitch has a short list that would most definitely include someone like Scott Drew without a scandal and their personalities would mesh well together. If they can mutually agree for Cal to part, they may wait for him to take another job so that they know the dollar amount they have to work with that will offset according to the contract he would sign at another school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT