ADVERTISEMENT

The elephant in the room: what if Duke wins it all this year?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
What's your reaction?

They'll have the most NBA talent in college ball. They have the superstar factor with three top 5 picks and a future all-star in Barrett. They have a great coach. If Jones plays at an adequate level, they could advance far in the tournament.

All of that noted, how would you respond if they cut the nets down in April?

Just like I did in 2010 when Duke won the title after we got sent home by West Virginia. I watched the game as a huge Butler fan and when that last second shot didn't go down, I just took a deep breath and refused to watch ESPN for a week. I moved on with my life.
I hate when CBB ends, it's a long offseason, but it sucks even worse when Duke or UNC*** wins it all. Ugh.

I would not be happy. But I just don't see it. Duke is always weak defensively, however they still had some players in that department the last few years. This coming year, nothing. No depth. No experience. No leadership.

I can't see this Duke team making it far, and quite honestly, I think they're going to wind up as a 4-6 seed.

I spoke very highly of the last few Duke teams and their potential, and those teams STILL took some thumps in the ACC. That conference won't be kind to them. They will lose quite a few conference games, and also a few in the non-conference slate.

How is that the elephant in the room? I haven’t once considered it a real possibility, let alone something to dwell on apprehensively.

Letting them live rent-free in your head, man.

Two answers:

1. I think there's a good chance K is done after this year. If Duke doesn't make a huge splash recruiting, I'm not sure he would want to spend his last few years trying to coach up the likes of Joey Baker. That would play a major factor in their seeding and perhaps even the level of impact the refs would play for Duke.

2. They have 3 of the top 5 picks. That's significant. Our fans are downplaying Duke's chances, but the reality is that their season comes down to the development of Jones, Bolden, O'Connell, and Baker. If two of those guys take a step forward, Duke is right there with UK and Kansas in March.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
They won’t win. They have ZERO depth. I’m not too worried about Duke this year.

Dooks achilles heel= White boys and black magic.
Down goes the Angry Beaver/Rat Faced/Cheating pos Krybabysh!tski.

cqbW5MX.gif
:popcorn:

I personally see this season as massive for K and Cal.

If Cal wins it all, he is signed, sealed and delivered as the godfather of OAD.

If K somehow gets his freshmen to come together and win it all, it gives him three titles in the OAD era, two with freshmen teams.

Those downplaying the stakes are playing this a bit shortsightedly. After 2015's debacle, I won't assume anything. The implications are huge if either of these programs cut down the nets.

Elephant in the room? Hardly.

Few here even consider Duke winning it all as a real option. A preseason top 5 team with three top 5 picks and a hall of fame coach.

It's certainly a discussion people have avoided all summer and now into the fall. Isn't that precisely what elephant in the room means?

I think UK has more talent and a better shot at the title due to being a vastly more complete team. That said, what if Cal had K's roster? I think our fair fans would be looking at the roster for what it is: top-heavy and ultimately dependent on at least two role players stepping forward to cut down the nets. The chances of winning would come down to those guys fitting the 4-7 levels of production on the roster.

I'm merely saying it could happen. If K gets production from any two role players, they'll be in the discussion.

What's your reaction?

They'll have the most NBA talent in college ball. They have the superstar factor with three top 5 picks and a future all-star in Barrett. They have a great coach. If Jones plays at an adequate level, they could advance far in the tournament.

tenor.gif

Cal does have some of that Rocky mojo...

Get up and go to work the next day. Whatever. If UK doesn't win, I don't care really. I don't want them to, but it won't affect my mood or anything. Although one of my better friends went to Duke med school and roots for them outside of UK, so I might have to punch him in the face if he smiles at me. Just once though.

Two answers:

1. I think there's a good chance K is done after this year. If Duke doesn't make a huge splash recruiting, I'm not sure he would want to spend his last few years trying to coach up the likes of Joey Baker. That would play a major factor in their seeding and perhaps even the level of impact the refs would play for Duke.

2. They have 3 of the top 5 picks. That's significant. Our fans are downplaying Duke's chances, but the reality is that their season comes down to the development of Jones, Bolden, O'Connell, and Baker. If two of those guys take a step forward, Duke is right there with UK and Kansas in March.

That team is not constructed well. Is there talent? Sure. But there are holes. Shooting, to name one.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
My line of thinking, is if Duke couldn't do it with Giles/Tatum/Kennard or with Allen/Bagley/Carter.. not sure they have a realistic shot this year. Now, yes, about 15 teams "have a shot" and Duke will be one of them. But highly highly likely they fall short of expectations all year. Coach K isn't good with young and inexperienced teams.

What's your reaction?

If they couldn't win it last year with that talent, they ain't gonna do it this year, though I'm sure thy'll get a good path to the FF.

Some Duke teams in the past has worried me. This one does not. They have no depth. Plus they don't have a player on their team over 6'7" that could play in the OVC. Some things worry me, this Duke team isn't one of them.

They absolutely could win it all. They will get every advantage humanly possible. That's the whole thing in a nutshell. It's bullshit.

Edit: still don't believe they do, though. No post presence and no deadly shooters. No depth to speak of either.

I have a list of 6 months worth of stuff to worry about between now and then, don't rush me, I'll get to it.

When UCLA beat us in Woodens last game I think they only played five players Don’t always have to have depth

OP eats, drinks, poops, smells, eat, thinks, hears and sees puke all the time. Never seen anyone posting here that is Infatuated with another teams players and ratface coach, and not be their number 1 fan. Come on Man. Are you Zipp?

Two answers:

I will do a friendly bet of $20 that they do not have 3 of the top 5 picks next year.

Reactions: UK CAT in FL
What's your reaction?

I would go on with life like I have all the other years UK didn’t win.

Reactions: awf
I'll be mad if they win it all.

But in the end, it's just a game.

I'll probably be over it by the next day and on to the next season.

I think duke has role players who will end up surprising people. Delaure or what ever the scrawny white dude and bolden maybe another one or two. I’m not gonna jump and say duke has no depth bc ratface seems to have some guys who aren’t on the radar.

Reactions: Neue Regel
I will do a friendly bet of $20 that they do not have 3 of the top 5 picks next year.

The draft is pretty weak overall next year. Though three in the top five would be extremely difficult since they will cancel each other out in a way playing on the same team. I’d be confident in saying definitely two in the top five and the other top eight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT