ADVERTISEMENT

This is what it will take for Cal to change the starters.

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
Let’s beat on this dead horse some more. But here is what will have to happen for cal to make the change…….the players will have to request it. Someone will need to fall on the sword. Cal won’t disrupt the synergy this late in the season. But if he’s given an out then he may make the change.

Regardless, it’s time to get behind this team. Start waving the flag. We can sort it all out later.

Won’t happen. When will he quit telling guys who can’t make shots “if you’re open and don’t take the shot I’m taking you out?” He’s a moron.
It’s all about him proving he knows more than everyone else. Just like those 2-3 games he was right about Edwards and Wagner.

Edwards is very capable.

Wagner is a better defender than Reed and Dill.

I believe it is more about game planning to start better with the guys on the floor.

This isn't a big issue. The right guys will be on the floor for the vast majority of the game and certainly at the end.

Edwards is very capable.

Wagner is a better defender than Reed and Dill.

I believe it is more about game planning to start better with the guys on the floor.

This isn't a big issue. The right guys will be on the floor for the vast majority of the game and certainly at the end.
Have you watched any games? We’re in a hole at the first Tv Timeout every single game we play.

Same posts week after week. Why? If it hasn't happened by now why do people keep talking about it? History for each year is the same b.s. Cal's not going to change.

Let’s beat on this dead horse some more. But here is what will have to happen for cal to make the change…….the players will have to request it. Someone will need to fall on the sword. Cal won’t disrupt the synergy this late in the season. But if he’s given an out then he may make the change.

Regardless, it’s time to get behind this team. Start waving the flag. We can sort it all out later.
You are right but it won't happen and there is no synergy to disrupt.

Have you watched any games? We’re in a hole at the first Tv Timeout every single game we play.
I know this is a common talking point, but it is statistically not true. I think since SEC play started we had one instance where we were tied when the subs first came in and an equal number of times we were leading or trailing.

I love the mental gymnastics the cal defenders do with him. This isn’t rocket science people, you start your best players. If Cal was winning conference and national championships with his methods you might have a point. But he’s not. He’s 10-Loss-Cal and he’s hitting or matching historic lows for UK every season while going against industry standards.

Reed and Rob deserve those spots. They’ve earned them. DJ and Edwards were given them. That’s the difference. So much for “earned not given.”

Two top 10 picks BOTH sitting the bench for 1/4 of the game should be enough to prove it to anybody with a brain.
Sheppard has played 927 minutes, second most on the team to Reeves with 1000. Dillingham has played 717 but he missed one whole game with an illness and he has been in foul trouble (way too much). Otherwise, Rob would be up there with Reeves and Sheppard in minutes.

Reactions: wildcat_nation28
Anyone who is still defending the lineups is just, well, you must really be in love with the guy. But you might want to stand to your feet at some point, because he’s literally losing as bad as any coach we’ve fired or ran off to this point, if not worse. Kentucky is LOSING constantly and we’re about to begin looking at an Indiana situation. So whenever you’re ready to sac up, please start a “pumper awakening” thread so the other 5 can see it too. Y’all are nauseatingly awful.

There are 3 guards who have earned a starting spot. They also just happen to be the 3 that are statistically, factually, the best 3 together according to the math. They also all have R’s that begin their first or last name. It just so happens that no coach in the history of college basketball has had guys to this caliber sitting the bench while we dig a hole non stop to begin games ( or stay flat, rarely open it up).

There is no doubt he’s given special treatment to Wagner and Edwards. They are backup level players at best, and at times they aren’t even worth that. There’s isn’t a reason in the world to continue to start them and play them 15+ minutes yet here we are. And the funny thing is, both of their draft positions have been nuked by the way Calipari is handling them.

So please give it a damn rest. OP is on the money with this. It’s insane that anyone would even question that Calipari has made promises he thinks he must keep. And he will destroy this season to keep the Wagners happy, that much is a given too.

You are beating a dead horse.
But I’ll play.
Actually I think it would take specifically Edwards or Wagner saying it to Cal.
Yep, probably so, and that's highly unlikely. The starters killed us against A&M, though. There is no denying it. They had plenty of help not defending or making shots, but they got us playing from behind in both halves.

Sheppard has played 927 minutes, second most on the team to Reeves with 1000. Dillingham has played 717 but he missed one whole game with an illness and he has been in foul trouble (way too much). Otherwise, Rob would be up there with Reeves and Sheppard in minutes.
So what?! Reeves 31.4 mpg, Sheppard 29.0 mpg. Dillingham 23.1 mpg….All 3 at this point should be playing 35 mpg a game.

Reactions: ukfan1622
I have no issue with any of these players getting minutes. I’ve said over and over that we will need them all and I believe that. The strange thing is we don’t play the staring lineup together at all outside of the first 2 mins. That’s odd. But I also have seen us play our best ball running with the starters we have. Clearly I’m not at practice or in the locker room. So all I can do is wonder why cal does what he does.

I don’t think there are any back alley promises or secret handshakes between cal and the kids. I just think he wants to do things his way. Honestly he reminds me of my dad. The worst thing we all could have done is complain about it. The minute that everyone questioned it was the minute the goose got cooked.

Outside of the players requesting it I can’t think of anything that will get him to change course.

Go cats

Reactions: ukfan1622
It's not as much about how many minutes they get (some players probably need reduced minutes). It's about when the minutes happen. Starting in a hole most every game is not the way to do it. Puts more pressure on the players to score and they likely have to expend more energy trying to get back in it. Wagner and Edwards have been way to inconsistent this year to start every game. Let them be the energy guys off the bench.

I know I have set it plenty. But my biggest fear is that Cal will play Ugo 30 plus minutes against a nobody, Oakland he will do well enough and then he will do the same in the second game and we will flop. Ugo will score 2 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks. Bye bye 2nd weekend.

God I hope I'm wrong and am happy to eat crow burgers if Ugo goes off ir Cal finally gives into letting Z play early and often.

Just please 6.8 lb baby Jesus don't let Cal start the same lineup each half and give up -8. It's all I'm asking. Change if we start the 1st half like that, please.

Reactions: KyCatFan
In light of their performance all season and despite the superior play of the non-starters at those same positions... it would be much harder for you to prove Cal didn't
So what happened with Bradshaw? He didn't get a promise? Doesn't look like Dilly got much if a promise.

I think the proof is in the pudding , if you can't see it by this point you never will. Cal isn't changing the line up even if EVERYONE says he should to do so would be an admission that he was wrong. THAT ain't happening
I'm not having the starter argument with you. Enough people have explained the mathematical realities to you inbreds. You can't be taught.

Easy. Next year when half the roster is gone. Then he’ll change the lineup.
This. It wont change until the roster turns over. He knows Rob and Reed are getting drafted regardless. Has to try and let the others play their way to being draft able. Season be damned. Otherwise this 2 going undrafted is another knock against him and his goals for players/recruiting strategy.

We need a local media talking head to ask Cal the tough questions and demand answers -

Why do you insist on starting a lineup that has regularly proven to fall behind?

You have two NBA lotto picks on the bench and analytics show that your team performs at its best with three specific players logging time together - what is your rationale for continuing this kind of roster management?

That doesn’t change the fact that NEITHER are on the court the first four minutes of each half. Absolutely f’ing criminal. One must be on the court the ENTIRE GAME. Stagger their minutes. Oh, but our coach is a snake oil salesman who doesn’t have a f’ing clue how to win ball games.

Cal is stubborn and isn't going to do what the majority of the fan base is demanding on a message board.

If you guys wanted change, you should demand he stop playing Reed and Rob all together.

Anything contrary to your stupid point is.
Happy to hear your objection. What did I say that was wrong moron?

You think it’s a good idea to have neither of your two best players on the floor for 1/4 of the game??? Please explain…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT