ADVERTISEMENT

The elephant in the room: what if Duke wins it all this year?

I don't think Duke will be in the mix by the end of the season.........K hasn't shown that he can get freshman to play for the team like Cal has.....

Generally true, but 2015 seemed to work well for him. Yes, he had veterans, but his freshmen did well also.

Generally true, but 2015 seemed to work well for him. Yes, he had veterans, but his freshmen did well also.
Yet, both teams are still different. Has K had a team where 90% of the scoring is going to come from 3 players? Not just 3 players, but 3 freshmen?

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
If Duke does win it, people that carry the perception that this is only about money and nothing matters to these kids except that, are in for a rude awakening. If they win it everyone falls behind them until we produce another title. I dont like it but it's the way it is. We need this championship.

Yet, both teams are still different. Has K had a team where 90% of the scoring is going to come from 3 players? Not just 3 players, but 3 freshmen?

I lean in this direction. I think it comes down to the development of any two players from DeLaurier, Bolden, O'Connell, Baker, or Jones.

If two of those guys play above expectations, Duke will be there competing for a title in late March/early April.

I lean in this direction. I think it comes down to the development of any two players from DeLaurier, Bolden, O'Connell, Baker, or Jones.

If two of those guys play above expectations, Duke will be there competing for a title in late March/early April.

And I won't lie. That's what bothers me. K has always been great at stashing away a no name and then the guy ends up a great college junior / senior and makes a small name for himself.

Guys like Delaurier are scary because they won't demand the ball but will come with a very disciplined approach.

This is why I dont know why K must adapt to others. He is great at adapting, as the media relentlessly claims, but it's not something that he should be proud of. He's a Cal, Pitino, Jimmy V knockoff and now he's changing when he actually had the best system to produce titles after copying all of those men. Add the selfish aspect, he was ready to win many titles. Had he stayed a traditional route he would have probably won 7 by now.

But he had to chase Cal down the NBA hole, and its probably because he never coached there. He might have 5 rings, but he knows that's because he stayed at one school for 50 years. Cal, Pitino, even Stevens, all went for the highest level of competition. It's why you can't just look at titles with coaches, their paths lead to different places.

That's why K is not and was never seen as the better coach between himself and Pitino (until the Louisville pitino ended). Because he wasn't

Hopefully K chasing Cal this time will cost him. Nothing would make me happier than to see him choke away the end, when competition has weakened, and Cal has that same weak field to himself for the next 10 years. I think this is what worries K more than anything. Cal is a huge threat to his historical position when hes done. If you allow Cal to stock the NBA with all of the stars, and then win 3 or 4 titles in 18 years directly after K's run, it diminishes what he did forever.

And these guys care about it.

Pukes path the final four; Alcorn state jv, morehouse college, old dominion(after they knock out Kansas), Hawaii, louisana Monroe(after beating Gonzaga)

Kentucky path to the final four kst(you know the committee wants that) Loyola marimount,
Notre Dame, Tennessee, North Carolina

Higgins will call our games

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
If Duke wins, which I don’t think they will, it will suck to be sure.

The only way it will hurt is if a repeat of 2015 happens (best team in the country, we choke, and Duke gets a pass) or if we lose to them in the tournament.

Basketball is not all of life but, my friends, that would sting for a few days. Bad.

It’s all speculation though and I think we are going to put a hurting on people this year. I think we will only have one head scratching loss where we go “This team?” I think we lose a few close ones. But this team looks strong and I think with a little luck we bring home love potion No. 9.

Reactions: CatfanMike47

I don't see that happening. Additionally, what happens if just one of the 3 aren't as good as expected or one gets injured?

I hope your last point is right, but we really don't know how Duke will perform because there hasn't been a long list of rosters constructed the way they will be by which to judge such a team.

Many folks never thought a team filled with three freshmen starters and two sophomores could win it all until they did just that in 2012. Others said a team without consistent perimeter shooting couldn't win it all until UNC proved that theory wrong with their 2017 team.

I personally hope the Duke hype machine is to such a level that they have massive expectations to win it all, only to cave on the biggest stage in March.
But UNC had a big advantage. Their players were well rested. They did not have to attend class or spend time studying.

Reactions: awf
What's your reaction?

They'll have the most NBA talent in college ball. They have the superstar factor with three top 5 picks and a future all-star in Barrett. They have a great coach. If Jones plays at an adequate level, they could advance far in the tournament.

All of that noted, how would you respond if they cut the nets down in April?

It would be a hard pill to swallow, but sometimes the most talented team don’t win it all. We’ve had the most talent top to buttom six out of nine years with Coach Cal and we have 1 title.

I hope your last point is right, but we really don't know how Duke will perform because there hasn't been a long list of rosters constructed the way they will be by which to judge such a team.

Many folks never thought a team filled with three freshmen starters and two sophomores could win it all until they did just that in 2012. Others said a team without consistent perimeter shooting couldn't win it all until UNC proved that theory wrong with their 2017 team.

I personally hope the Duke hype machine is to such a level that they have massive expectations to win it all, only to cave on the biggest stage in March.

Weel, wait.. Kentucky did have Senior Darius Miller. UNC also got some of the most absurd help because of their (gasp) 2016 title game upset.

It could happen. But the ACC is still legit, generally from top to bottom (Hence the Clemson, St. Johns and BC loses in recent years).

RJ, Zion and Cam can all start, for certain. They will be offensive nightmares, I'd imagine. But, two of them will have to defend out of position. Jones, a weak PG from a weak PG family, will have to defend top guards. And you still have Bolden as Center.

Not only do they have to perform well, they have to do it for 30+ mpg, often times closer to 40 minutes... as freshmen.

If Kentucky can't win with all freshman (a hot take which I think has merit on both sides), then how can Duke?

There has been many other Duke teams that were the "elephant in the room". Last year comes to mind and especially the year before. If they are as challenged as most think they will from the 3 point line, i don't think they have any chance to overcome that. It is just too much of a focal point in today's game.

What's your reaction?

They'll have the most NBA talent in college ball. They have the superstar factor with three top 5 picks and a future all-star in Barrett. They have a great coach. If Jones plays at an adequate level, they could advance far in the tournament.

giphy.gif

I would not be happy. But I just don't see it. Duke is always weak defensively, however they still had some players in that department the last few years. This coming year, nothing. No depth. No experience. No leadership.

I can't see this Duke team making it far, and quite honestly, I think they're going to wind up as a 4-6 seed.

I spoke very highly of the last few Duke teams and their potential, and those teams STILL took some thumps in the ACC. That conference won't be kind to them. They will lose quite a few conference games, and also a few in the non-conference slate.

Agree with most of what you said. However, They could go 21-10 in the regular season, then get to the ACCT finals and lose and all of the basketball analysts would be asking if they deserve a 1 seed because of how well they're playing.

I think duke has role players who will end up surprising people. Delaure or what ever the scrawny white dude and bolden maybe another one or two. I’m not gonna jump and say duke has no depth bc ratface seems to have some guys who aren’t on the radar.

I think Delaurier is a good player as well but they really have no post game and they must hope that any two of the big three don't get in foul trouble. I can see Zion pickup a ton of charges this year because you can camp the lane in college.

Few here even consider Duke winning it all as a real option. A preseason top 5 team with three top 5 picks and a hall of fame coach.

It's certainly a discussion people have avoided all summer and now into the fall. Isn't that precisely what elephant in the room means?

I think UK has more talent and a better shot at the title due to being a vastly more complete team. That said, what if Cal had K's roster? I think our fair fans would be looking at the roster for what it is: top-heavy and ultimately dependent on at least two role players stepping forward to cut down the nets. The chances of winning would come down to those guys fitting the 4-7 levels of production on the roster.

I'm merely saying it could happen. If K gets production from any two role players, they'll be in the discussion.

I think the main difference is that Cal is 1000x's better with a team like Dukes this year than K.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul and awf
Agree with most of what you said. However, They could go 21-10 in the regular season, then get to the ACCT finals and lose and all of the basketball analysts would be asking if they deserve a 1 seed because of how well they're playing.

Sadly, that's true. Still believe the ACC is the best conference (although the SEC has been making serious moves). We know how hard it is to make it through the SEC, and that's with Cal and tons of talent. He can work with young and inexperienced teams.

Duke has no depth, no experience, no leader and a coach who still hasn't figured out young talent. They are going to take a beating in that conference, especially on the road.

Pretty sure the elephant in the room is nooneputsbabyinacorner’s girlfriend.

Now if Bagley hadn’t reclassified there could be a problem with Duke, but they do look to be a little light on quality big men.

You know, anything is possible, of course. Nobody here would like it. That should come as no shock. But I'm not feeling the inevitability of Duke winning it all, if UK doesn't. It's more likely neither team will win than that one of the other must win.

As for Duke, they have a talented team for sure, but they're very young. It's the same issue UK has had several times under Calipari. We always love the talent, and they make some great plays and have some great games along the way with some big wins. But, in the end, I just think they're too young and will lack the consistency needed to win it all. They are very a-typical for a Duke team, which usually has veterans to anchor the team in addition to their talented freshmen. This season will have some ups and downs for them. They lack shooters and they lack a reliable interior game, and that's a bad combination. They will have to out-athlete people and they will win games like that, but when Williamson runs up against a team that has some strength and quickness and he can't just plow through, he will struggle. And Barrett can't carry them by himself. He will be the top scorer in the nation, most likely, but that won't be good for the team as a whole.

No lie if Duke makes the Final Four this year I will be honestly surprised. If they actually do it without the whole thing being a disgustingly blatant series of striped-shirted hose jobs then I’ll credit K with his best coaching job ever. What he has this year is a lot of name-dropping cred. It’s not a basketball team. Not a high Div-1 one anyway.

Few here even consider Duke winning it all as a real option. A preseason top 5 team with three top 5 picks and a hall of fame coach.

It's certainly a discussion people have avoided all summer and now into the fall. Isn't that precisely what elephant in the room means?

I think UK has more talent and a better shot at the title due to being a vastly more complete team. That said, what if Cal had K's roster? I think our fair fans would be looking at the roster for what it is: top-heavy and ultimately dependent on at least two role players stepping forward to cut down the nets. The chances of winning would come down to those guys fitting the 4-7 levels of production on the roster.

I'm merely saying it could happen. If K gets production from any two role players, they'll be in the discussion.
Elephant would mean we're avoiding it because we all fear it. I think most of us see them as more comparable to the projected 2 seeds (nova or whoever) than to us or Kansas.

I'd show an elephant due respect. This is more of a mangy old dog that we forget is in the room until he farts.

Tiger has a legit chance to win the Masters again. He places top 5 when he didn't even play. He should have won a couple years ago when he got so unlucky on the par 5 that bounced in the water .
Tiger is back! He will probably be the favorite to win the 2019 Masters......

Reactions: Fox2monk
Elephant in the room? You have the wrong animal.

He means 'hamster in the anus'.

After all, we are talking about Tu-Tu U. Brokeback Basketball. When Hairy Met Grayson.

You're a fair-minded poster, but I still think it's a tragic statement that you have to qualify your statement by saying how much you hate Duke. Anyone who has followed your posts would know your devotion to UK's program; and yet there are fans who would question that devotion because you even raise the possibility that Duke could win it all this year.

He's a poser...

Really could care less about duke or uncheats hate them both always have always will.I worry about our team and the SEC.

Tiger is back! He will probably be the favorite to win the 2019 Masters......

No doubt he is. He is swinging well with power and if his short game gets a little more consistent which I don’t doubt because he is the best short game player ever, at least recovery wise and clutchness that he will.

What's your reaction?

If they do , they do.

Let's not forget that Duke has no room for injury.. And especially if it's to RJ or Zion..

Based on Kentucky's performance.. We'd probably have lost to most major and even mid-major teams.. Hate to say. Duke isn't THAT good and teams will figure out a game plan. They aren't an automatic champ.. At least not yet.

Does everyone remember how bad we looked against Kansas last year? We were so out of sorts that game.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Let's not forget that Duke has no room for injury.. And especially if it's to RJ or Zion..

Based on Kentucky's performance.. We'd probably have lost to most major and even mid-major teams.. Hate to say. Duke isn't THAT good and teams will figure out a game plan. They aren't an automatic champ.. At least not yet.

Does everyone remember how bad we looked against Kansas last year? We were so out of sorts that game.
Man, I agree. Everyone is putting entirely too much stock into this one game. I mean to a ridiculous level.

Most of you pansies will cry, more than likely. Cal will have to look in the mirror. Staff changes will be made. Whether Duke wins it all or not, all of this will happen. Especially after we don’t land Wiseman or Carrey. We just aren’t the cool program anymore. It sucks, but like I said, the pansies will be out in full force.

You mean last year when we lost by FOUR to Kansas, not THIRTY-FOUR... hard to compare the two outcomes and say Duke isn't light years better than the rest of college basketball right now...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT