ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone surprised at how sexy of a pick we seem to be this year?

Mar 19, 2024
It seems it's mostly based on Sheppard and Dillingham. Two top 5 picks in the backcourt....yadda yadda ya. I feel like most people outside of our fanbase only see how good they've been offensively. BBN knows the liability they (and basically the whole team) have been on the defensive end. Not to mention how foul prone/at times crazy with the ball, that Dillingham is. The funny thing is, when we zero in on defense, we have had some really good defensive games this year. So it has to be about effort and intensity. I've hoped that Cal will finally work on the zone some this week. He wants to put a couple seven footers in to protect the rim when guards beat us.........he actally said, what else can we do? ZONE. Clog the lane to ward off drives to the basket when it's needed. He act's like it isnt even an option. I think we all agree that some form of improvements on defense must happen if we want to go as far as we want to. But several people picking UK to advance deep does make me a little nervous. But hey, I'm for anything that will put more pressure on Calipari to produce.

I think we all agree that some form of improvements on defense must happen if we want to go as far as we want to.
We've run out of time to make any sort of large scale defensive adjustments. This team is capable of playing good defense if they're completely locked in. They did it against Auburn in a tough road environment. The defense is what it is at this point in the season. If they can play defense with high effort and energy there's a chance to go far, but if they come out lazy like usual we'll go home early.

It's probably all about effort at this point.

We've run out of time to make any sort of large scale defensive adjustments. This team is capable of playing good defense if they're completely locked in. They did it against Auburn in a tough road environment. The defense is what it is at this point in the season. If they can play defense with high effort and energy there's a chance to go far, but if they come out lazy like usual we'll go home early.

I could see them playing some decent defensive games. No chance they play 6 straight games of decent defense though.

It seems it's mostly based on Sheppard and Dillingham. Two top 5 picks in the backcourt....yadda yadda ya. I feel like most people outside of our fanbase only see how good they've been offensively. BBN knows the liability they (and basically the whole team) have been on the defensive end. Not to mention how foul prone/at times crazy with the ball, that Dillingham is. The funny thing is, when we zero in on defense, we have had some really good defensive games this year. So it has to be about effort and intensity. I've hoped that Cal will finally work on the zone some this week. He wants to put a couple seven footers in to protect the rim when guards beat us.........he actally said, what else can we do? ZONE. Clog the lane to ward off drives to the basket when it's needed. He act's like it isnt even an option. I think we all agree that some form of improvements on defense must happen if we want to go as far as we want to. But several people picking UK to advance deep does make me a little nervous. But hey, I'm for anything that will put more pressure on Calipari to produce.
Defense, rebounding & coaching has been our downfall all season....wishful thinking anything meaningful will change for the NCAAT. The players are more focused on the draft board than the game and Cal is busy counting his $$$$$.

Yeah, the d is what it is at this point. They’ve shown they can do it, but I wouldn’t expect it for 6 games. If they can somehow, someway find a way to limit the other team getting offensive rebounds and second chance points, I’ll be happy. It’s been a killer against us.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Yeah our defense sucks but some of the analysts were saying UK will score 85-90+ points a game ...which team in their path can score 90+? They weren't sure who could. But I'm not holding my breath

Maybe Cal has been sandbagging us all season and our defense is actually top-notch. He just didn't want to show his cards until the NCAAT. I mean, how can it really be this bad unless your team was trying to be this bad on defense.

Coach Cal playing Chess while we are all playing checkers. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Damn it. I almost got to the end.

I think our team is a sexy pick because we don't recruit ugly guys like UNCheat does. I'm not going to name names but you know who I'm talking about.
The Muppets GIF by BuzzFeed

pepe GIF

pepe GIF

The more I really think about this team’s deficiencies and limitations the more I see
T them struggling to win a couple of games.

It’s the most explosive yet poorly constructed roster during Cal’s tenure. They really have no power forwards or center. None.

We've got arguably the most talent on one roster in the country.

As such, we have underperformed all year. It's not a stretch for the media to think we might pull it together for a run of games.

That being said, any coach who doesn't doze off in the film room knows exactly how to beat us.

It's definitely intriguing. I could see where we might win it all for sure. I could definitely also see us losing in the first weekend.

I love the team, but their preference to simply outscore people isn't a normal path to victory. Like the bar owner in Blues Brothers said I like "both kinds" of basketball.

Not really surprised. People want offense. Be it Football, baseball or basketball. We have some fun guys on the team. Young guys with a couple of older and the story of how we have changed (defense for offense) and the whole Cal thing with the fans. Keeps us in the spotlight. So people are picking.
Some media pick in hopes of the story of the great fall. Others pick because they really thing we are right there.
I have trouble ever picking against us. Good year, blah year does not matter.

Yeah, I'd rather they be saying we have little chance of getting very far at all. I think this team would do better if everyone thought they're a sure-fire loser in the first weekend. Honestly, I'm most worried about the first couple games than potentially facing Marquette and Houston. As others have said, when they're locked in and focused, thinking they must play at their maximum to really have a chance, they play their best. They've done it all season. So, being a sexy pick to make a Final Four worries me. I've picked them all the way because I can't stand not picking them, But I wouldn't be shocked to see them lose this weekend.

On the other hand, if they are locked in, they can beat anyone. They have the talent to win it all. I don't think I could say that in any recent seasons, at least since the year of Fox, Monk, and Adebayo. I actually haven't thought we had the talent to get even to the Elite 8, much less win it all. But this season I know we could do it, IF they're locked in. So, the positive vibes concern me because these players aren't as engaged when they think they should win.

I could see them playing some decent defensive games. No chance they play 6 straight games of decent defense though.
Maybe we don't need 6 straight. And if Cal and/or the team could just turn it on when they need it, the offense should carry us most of the way.

We have too many weapons for all of them to go cold. But we can't have 2/3 of them even slightly off if we decide to go lazy on defense. Could you imagine this team if we played tough defense and ran good, clean sets to get different players open each time down the court? We have such a good offense that Cal could have feasibly worked on defense #1 and then let Welsh do the offensive sets - change them up each time down the floor, don't run "floppy" 10 times in a row, don't post up 10 times in a row, and don't do 1:1 drive/penetration 10 times in a row. Mix those up, heavy defense, presses (not just token), and a zone now and then if the opponent thinks they can start getting into the lane.

I'm not even a coach, but it's clear to anyone with a brain that each play should be catered to what the opponent is giving you each time down the court.

Reactions: littlecreek

And Cal putting good lineup combinations together. That’s actually going to be a huge part of it as well.

Reactions: TheDude73
Defense, rebounding & coaching has been our downfall all season....wishful thinking anything meaningful will change for the NCAAT. The players are more focused on the draft board than the game and Cal is busy counting his $$$$$.
Actually I think you're wrong about the players' focus with this group. They want to win, they are pretty fierce for how young they are, and despite Cal. This is one of our best teams with regards to what appears to be a strong will to win. They are just regularly hamstrung by Cal's wacked ass substitution/lineup patterns.

If you want to state something more likely to be factual, it's Cal that's busy focusing on the draft board and how he is going to use these last games to cram in one more "showcase" to get them back on those first round mocks.

Yeah our defense sucks but some of the analysts were saying UK will score 85-90+ points a game ...which team in their path can score 90+? They weren't sure who could. But I'm not holding my breath
Oakland has, but against teams much smaller than they are.

I will repeat that their tallest starter and contributor is only 6'6", and he's a forward. We have guards that big. The rest of their floor is 6'3" or less, except a couple of minor players around 6'5".

Marquette, if their one guard gets healthy and they can beat UF, can run with us and score as well. We already know UF can should they advance.

Not sure how much offense TTech or NC State could muster - I'd wager more than usual due to our defense.

Not really. For starters we have the most talent of any team this year, and any team that has that, is going to get some looks.

I also think our pitfalls get overblown on this forum, drawbacks and negatives that might not be as big of a deal to outsiders and more casual fans of the game. For example, just today, we heard how Cal had an awful gameplan for Shabazz and that he had no clue what he was doing. But to the outsider, they would say "well every team had a problem containing Shabazz, and you made it to the title game, so you must have done something right"

Edit: I have two drafts tonight and tomorrow. I suspect Kentucky to be taken somewhere between 5th and 8th. I know if I'm drafting towards the end, I'm taking them with that 7th or 8th pick. I have a feeling others in my league will do the same, and none of them are UK fans (or particularly like UK). That tells you people still believe UK to be a pretty sizeable threat.

Those analysts aren't doing a lot of homework, then. Texas A&M scored over 90 twice all season - both times against us.

I think the important thing to remember is that we are a 3 seed and we did that WITH our defense not being ranked in the top 100.

We've beaten some very good teams along the way as well.

So it's not out of the realm of possibility this team makes a run here.

I would not put this team as a title contender. They are not one of the best 6-8 teams in this thing. But I'd definitely put them in that next tier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT