ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Tech, Foul Rate, and how Gonzaga got Higginsed

Aike

All-American
Mar 18, 2002
On the season, Texas Tech was 195th in the country in foul rate, fouling on over 25% of their possessions.

Tonight, playing against the country’s best offense and with John Higgins on the whistle, that number was 19.44%.

How does that compare to the rest of the country? Notre Dame led the nation this season with a foul rate of 20.3%.

So the aggressive Texas Tech defense, playing against the best offense in the country, was called for so few fouls that they would have ranked first in the country by a mile had they gotten that whistle all season.

And it’s actually even worse than that. Higgins and company called TT for 4 fouls before the first tv timeout. Only got called for 10 more all night.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get Higginsed. Something we know all too well.

On the season, Texas Tech was 195th in the country in foul rate, fouling on over 25% of their possessions.

Tonight, playing against the country’s best offense and with John Higgins on the whistle, that number was 19.44%.

How does that compare to the rest of the country? Notre Dame led the nation this season with a foul rate of 20.3%.

So the aggressive Texas Tech defense, playing against the best offense in the country, was called for so few fouls that they would have ranked first in the country by a mile had they gotten that whistle all season.

And it’s actually even worse than that. Higgins and company called TT for 4 fouls before the first tv timeout. Only got called for 10 more all night.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you get Higginsed. Something we know all too well.

POY

That is a helluva post!

I only saw the last few seconds of the game. Was Texas Tech actually fouling the whole game and not getting called for it or are we just complaining based on what the numbers tell us it should have been?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
How does Higgins get to call this game when he primarily calls Big 12 games? They should have had an ACC, Big10 or SEC crew call that one.

I am AMAZED that he gets to call ANY tournament games considering how incompetent he has been PROVEN to be.:weary:

HE SUCKS!!!

I only saw the last few seconds of the game. Was Texas Tech actually fouling the whole game and not getting called for it or are we just complaining based on what the numbers tell us it should have been?

They fouled similarly to Houston last night. Impeding movement and lots of hacking and grabbing in the halfcourt.

That's what blows my mind..........I was under the understanding that refs get graded on games and based on those grades is how they give games in the later rounds?

But that can't possibly be. This guy continues to get big time games. It's mindblowing.

Reactions: catben
Ain’t that the truth. Go Spartans. But I honestly believe that Higgins and Ayers were sent in to clear Gonzaga out of the way. It’s a shame that I even have reason to think like that.
Well you certainly made a case for it, and I fear you are right. Zion will eat that skinny dude up, the fleecing of America.

That's what blows my mind..........I was under the understanding that refs get graded on games and based on those grades is how they give games in the later rounds?

But that can't possibly be. This guy continues to get big time games. It's mindblowing.

It’s mind blowing if you actually believe that the NCAA is fair and doesn’t pick favorites.

Go Sparty Go.

Roses are red

Michigan has black socks

Hey, is that Higgins over there?

Giving Zion Williamson flops?

The dude is like, 300 lbs

And damn he’s allowed to crash the lane?

Like Superman smashing bowling pins

Or a roaring 747 ....on a two lane

We all know how this story ends

And it makes me sad to say

The fix is in folks

Courtesy of the N. C. A. A.

It’s mind blowing if you actually believe that the NCAA is fair and doesn’t pick favorites.

If u really believe that then why bother watching?

If the outcome is already determined, what exactly is the point in all of this?

So clearly you don't believe they are the end all be all either.

Well, okay. Are you ready to accept the “reality” of sports, how it really is? Money oozing from ever corner.

Have you ever considered that part of the “entertainment” is actually watching the corruption unfold?

I think that observing something happen, and being able to eloquently explain it, is a lot more impressive than being a sheep who types “LOL” all the time.

I’m basically an addict. I was born into it. And I know that occasionally we can overcome every odd stacked against us, which makes it that much sweeter.

Have you ever considered that part of the “entertainment” is actually watching the corruption unfold?

I think that observing something happen, and being able to eloquently explain it, is a lot more impressive than being a sheep who types “LOL” all the time.

No thanks. I'd rather watch a sport where I feel my team has a fair shot at winning.

Why watch a train wreck.

So you mean to tell me you invest all this time following a team knowing in the back of your head that you are just gonna get screwed in the end by some ref?

Seems like a miserable way to watch bball but to each his own I suppose.

I’m basically an addict. I was born into it. And I know that occasionally we can overcome every odd stacked against us, which makes it that much sweeter.

If they really want us out......as much as everyone feels from time to time......they gonna knock us out.

But honestly people feel this way and that's their own opinion and I totally respect that.

I just would rather watch thinking my team has a great shot even knowing that at times SOME officials are awful and at times SOME refs do have bias.

But like I could never go into a game waiting on us to get screwed.

I'm a diehard and that would absolutely just crush me if I went into each game thinking that ya know

thst is what I have always claimed. It doesn’t have to be the BIG blown calls... but many non calls and blown calls that ruin momentum or keep teams close. Subtle.

It’s like Bilas selectively announcing a UK game. It’s subtle...

Ain’t that the truth. Go Spartans. But I honestly believe that Higgins and Ayers were sent in to clear Gonzaga out of the way. It’s a shame that I even have reason to think like that.

I don’t know. I think it made more sense for them to want Gonzaga to win. The duke/Gonzaga rematch slurp fest would have been impossible to resist.

And here’s the rub as far as duke and matchups. The dirty secret if you will. NO one matches up well with them because Zion is the most unguardable player to come through college since Durant. Hell hes probably a harder guard than Durant because he’s so much stronger and he’s allowed to just bulldoze his way to the rim with little to no fear of the officials calling him for an offensive foul.(that said I’ll admit he also gets fouled way more than what they call).

I will say, officials are usually regional and it’s pretty odd to see Ayers calling a game in California.

Reactions: Aike
They wanted to get Gonzaga out of Duke's way so they can have an easy route to the title just like they did in 2017 with North Carolina. Thank You Higgins you always seem to be at the root of all this!

Reactions: Aike
No thanks. I'd rather watch a sport where I feel my team has a fair shot at winning.

Why watch a train wreck.

So you mean to tell me you invent all this time following a team knowing in the back of your head that you are just gonna get screwed in the end by some ref?

I feel that you are incredibly naive. The outcome isn’t predetermined, but there are definitely influences in one direction or another.

The great equalizer is make enough shots, and there’s nothing they can do to cheat you. If you never figured that out on your own, just listen to the words of the “rogue” NBA ref who was busted for fixing games.

If it always worked out like pro wrestling then no, I wouldn’t watch at all. But I know there’s a chance that we can overcome even in a rigged game, so I still tune in.

Why watch a train wreck.

So you mean to tell me you invest all this time following a team knowing in the back of your head that you are just gonna get screwed in the end by some ref?

I really don’t invest much time watching it.

I do enjoy discussing it, even the corruption.

A person with an average IQ could read the OP and have a productive conversation on the topic without even having seen the game at hand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT