ADVERTISEMENT

The foul call

Not sure there was angle that ever confirmed a flop. The girl was knocked laterally off her line 3 feet with the official right there on the sideline side.
Other than minimal contact and the Girl whipping her head back like am NFL linebacker hit her…

Reactions: ruppcat
It was one that could go either way. What we aren’t likely considering is how the game was being played and called to that point. If the girl from UConn was doing those types of things throughout the game, it’s dangerous territory. Regardless, the call is the call. Happens all season long in tight games.

Reactions: ruppcat
Best honest basketball discussion thread I've seen here in a while. Unfortunately, I didn't watch the game, so I don't have anything to add. But kudos to all of you - some of the most knowledgeable basketball fans in the country.

Reactions: preacherfan
Other than minimal contact and the Girl whipping her head back like am NFL linebacker hit her

Haha In comparison, that girl was an NFL linebacker. I like Marshall…she’s constantly getting thrown around and knocked down with no whistle. Tough player.

The whole debate on calls being dependent upon the timing of the game is a debate that we shouldn’t even have to have in the first place if the NCAA gave two flips about the standards of consistency w officiating in todays college game.

I’m saying it was a bad call that wouldn’t have been called if Iowa had the ball with a chance for Clark to make a winning shot.

pretty simple
You're delusional then. If you don't call fouls at the end it just invites teams to play absolute bully ball with a chance to tie/win. If you "should let the players decide it" you'll just get bad screens, push offs, clear outs for offensive board etc.. letting the players decide it should mean they still have to play clean on offense or their failure to was part of the reason they lost.

Again, how would you feel if it was UK defending it and then a tarhole or dookie hit a game winner after that?

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Those who don’t like Clark wouldn’t have had any issue if it was against Iowa in that moment.

they sure didn’t rig it for Iowa last year given the officiating they received against LSU. A game called so poorly that the NCAA had to acknowledge it with a statement.
That was the final game, no more games to be played. I don’t say they rigged it, I said ESPN is very happy Iowa won.

Don't know what ESPN you are watching. The crying from every ESPN commentator has been non-stop since last night.

All they can talk about is the "bad call" and refs " not letting the players decide the outcome of the game. "
And you have obviously been following, and the ratings will be through the roof for a women’s championship game, not so much had UCONN won. So yes ESPN is very happy that Iowa won.

If you took the time to look at all tv angles of the play it’s the most blatant moving screen you can possibly make. It had to be called - if for example the UCONN player made it on the way to basket and Clark took her arm off on the shot - do you not make that call? Why we acting like it wasn’t a 100% moving screen ?

Was just going to say this. Took Clark out of the game with some awful calls.
The optics of the officiating crew in regards to the makeup of the two teams is rather interesting landing one to question whether it was incompetence or bias. That’s all I’ll say

And you have obviously been following, and the ratings will be through the roof for a women’s championship game, not so much had UCONN won. So yes ESPN is very happy that Iowa won.
So ESPN dictates things? Glad we’ve settled on this after wrongfully including Alabama in the CFP. 😂

It is wild that the winningest women’s program is apparently somehow not a draw. Shows the power of Clark.

Last edited:
So ESPN dictates things? Glad we’ve settled on this after wrongfully including Alabama in the CFP. 😂

It is wild that the winningest women’s program is apparently somehow not a draw. Shows the power of Clark.
Where did you get ESPN dictates things out of my post? I said ESPN is very happy that Iowa won. Yes, Clark is by far the biggest draw in college basketball, men included.

Last edited:
Reactions: preacherfan
It was a foul. Uconn had basically knocked an Iowa player down a few plays earlier to get the ball with no call. (I was having flashbacks to our Uconn game again) , which allowed them to close the gap on the scoreboard. So all in all I saw no problem with it. Their center should haven't been setting a screen out there anyway as they were only down 1.

I assume SC will win tomorrow but most of their schedule has been beating up on bad teams. They played UConn without Cardosa before UConn started to click post injuries. But other than that- just LSU in the title game. Should’ve lost to a bad Tennessee team, and Indiana played them within four. There was no one good on the left side of the bracket so they’ve cake walked though this outside of the Indiana game.

So can Iowa win? Yeah. Is it likely? No. Either way- best possible national title matchup.

It was a foul. Uconn had basically knocked an Iowa player down a few plays earlier to get the ball with no call. (I was having flashbacks to our Uconn game again) , which allowed them to close the gap on the scoreboard. So all in all I saw no problem with it. Their center should haven't been setting a screen out there anyway as they were only down 1.
I didn’t watch the game so I don’t know how the rest of the game was called. The one thing players want is consistency set from early in the game throughout the game. I did see the replays and that was a moving screen. The only argument would be if they weren’t calling that throughout and it’s my understanding that UCONN had 3 or 4 moving screens in the game so they should have known better.

“Not one single play wins or loses a basketball game. … We should have done a better job, I should have done a better job, leaving the game up to chance,” Paige Bueckers of U. Conn said, per Cole Stefan of The Daily Campus.

I couldn't of said it better myself except I did 3 pages back!

You cannot take out the player that is helping your sport. Pretty much it. Viewership drops if you lose Clark.

You cannot take out the player that is helping your sport. Pretty much it. Viewership drops if you lose Clark.
And yet, if Edwards doesn’t do that, what were they going to do if UConn just hit a three there without a screen?

If the refs were favoring Iowa, they wouldn’t have even been in a position to lose there considering they were up 9 just a few minutes prior.

Reactions: dezyDeco
Are you suggesting the officials made that call because ESPN wanted them to? It was the right call.
Nope. I didn't say that or infer it. I do think refs have biases and maybe that affected the call but we will never really know.

Nope. I didn't say that or infer it. I do think refs have biases and maybe that affected the call but we will never really know.
“However, in this case, I honestly think that ESPN and others wanted Iowa to advance to continue the Clark story.“

I’m not sure how else to take this comment, but you do you.

Reactions: HeismaNole
I certainly hope you are not an official and only feel this way because you lost a bet on UConn or some other reason you didn't want Iowa to win.

If you can watch that screen in slow motion and not see a clear foul that HAD to be called in that moment.....wow.
Even some big names thought it was a bad call:

I didn’t watch the game so I don’t know how the rest of the game was called. The one thing players want is consistency set from early in the game throughout the game. I did see the replays and that was a moving screen. The only argument would be if they weren’t calling that throughout and it’s my understanding that UCONN had 3 or 4 moving screens in the game so they should have known better.
it was a foul. They called UCONN for three or four during the game. The problem I have is this, they did not call any moving screens on Iowa. The refs was consistent in calling moving screens all game,,, on UCONN, but not Iowa, that is where I have a problem. Call it consistent, on BOTH teams.

“However, in this case, I honestly think that ESPN and others wanted Iowa to advance to continue the Clark story.“

I’m not sure how else to take this comment, but you do you.

LOL I replied to this comment: When Duke or the UConn women get a foul called, ESPN gets upset.

Context is everything!

Now, does my comment make sense? Of course ESPN wanted Iowa to advance and so did a lot of others. I didn't say that they had anything to do with the call but that they were happy to keep the Clark story going. It has been a boom for business.

LOL I replied to this comment: When Duke or the UConn women get a foul called, ESPN gets upset.

Now, does my comment make sense? Of course ESPN wanted Iowa to advance and so did a lot of others. I didn't say that they had anything to do with the call but that they were happy to keep the Clark story going. It has been a boom for business.

All 3 analysts were UCONN alums. Taurasi argument of it being bad timing and “she didn’t even get open from it” was an irrelevant homer take that just unnecessarily adds to the “controversy” of what was a textbook call.

I’lll admit that I don’t watch much women’s basketball, but I checked this play out after seeing headlines about the controversy. After watching it, I’m not sure why it’s even being debated. The UConn player blew up the defender by setting a screen that was still moving, with a stance in which her left foot/leg came out way past her shoulder, and with her elbow extended and making contact. That’s pretty much all the things you can’t do on a screen rolled up into one play. Clearly a foul that had to be called.

1. I’m not sure it was all of American
2. That is some weak sauce foul call…she leaned into it….maybe. But it was typical ref that reacts to rhe Iowa player falling down more then anything

And in a game where your constant grabbing and hold players defensively…to call that weak sauce foul that ended the game essentially..::it’s not the best decision
Illegal screen. A screener can be moving as long as they are moving in the same direction. A screen is either illegal or legal. On that play the screener was completely outside of her vertical plane. Her legs were spread apart and she made contact with the defender. She also initiated contact with the defender. When screening a moving opponent time and distance are a factor. You must allow the defender no more than 2 steps to avoid the screen. The screener also extended her elbow out and made contact. This was the right call and a great call. I am a 27 year basketball official.

Even some big names thought it was a bad call:

Of course they do. There’s also a certain group who does not like Clark or her fans, downplays her talent and accomplishments and are pro Reese with every take.

It’s pretty impossible to ignore if you’ve read the comment section of any Clark and Reese post the last year.

Reactions: dezyDeco
Illegal screen. A screener can be moving as long as they are moving in the same direction. A screen is either illegal or legal. On that play the screener was completely outside of her vertical plane. Her legs were spread apart and she made contact with the defender. She also initiated contact with the defender. When screening a moving opponent time and distance are a factor. You must allow the defender no more than 2 steps to avoid the screen. The screener also extended her elbow out and made contact. This was the right call and a great call. I am a 27 year basketball official.
Thank you!

Do you think it was the elbow that made it more glaringly obvious for the official to call or just the moving aspect of it?

It was an awful call that the ref wanted to make.
The Iowa player flopped, a referee can’t call a foul on a flop with 3.9 sec left with a chance to win to move on to the title game.
This is dumb. The 3.9 seconds shouldn’t make a damn bit of difference. If it is a clear foul, then the call should be made regardless of how much time is on the clock.

And this plainly WAS a clear foul. I don’t know how anyone who knows basketball could watch that replay posted earlier in this thread and still deny it. It fits the textbook definition of an illegal moving screen.

Honestly, I think this whole pseudo “controversy” is largely ESPN created. Because controversy helps with clicks/ratings, ESPN very clearly tried to stir this one up in the immediate post-game show and on their website … laughably by interviewing former UCONN players … and got a lot of gullible lemmings to jump on board with them.

If ESPN hadn’t done that, I doubt many would be debating this today. Because it really shouldn’t be controversial. A ref made a correct call at a big moment, so what?

Meh it’s America, that gives squatters rights; of course their feelings are hurt ON THE CORRECT CALL. Oh wait I get it. The last minute of the game should be a free for all no holds barred. Brass knuckles, guns, knives, punches…anything goes.

See how ridiculous that sounds. Almost as much as “That’s not a foul”. Or “How could they call that”

This is dumb. The 3.9 seconds shouldn’t make a damn bit of difference. If it is a clear foul, then the call should be made regardless of how much time is on the clock.

And this plainly WAS a clear foul. I don’t know how anyone who knows basketball could watch that replay posted earlier in this thread and still deny it. It fits the textbook definition of an illegal moving screen.

Honestly, I think this whole pseudo “controversy” is largely ESPN created. Because controversy helps with clicks/ratings, ESPN very clearly tried to stir this one up in the immediate post-game show and on their website … laughably by interviewing former UCONN players … and got a lot of gullible lemmings to jump on board with them.

If ESPN hadn’t done that, I doubt many would be debating this today. Because it really shouldn’t be controversial. A ref made a correct call at a big moment, so what?
When you want Iowa to lose and the chance has slipped away, it’s going to outrage the fan aspect of a lot of people. Clark has a ton of haters who are vicariously living through every team that plays them.

Everything is confirmation to them. All calls for them are bad, all calls against Iowa are good. The same fans who were LSU fans and who were UConn fans last night will be South Carolina fans tomorrow.

Reactions: dezyDeco and UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT