ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard is the Right Answer

If we are going to get a black listed guy , just get Will Wade. Young, Tough skinned , and proven track record everywhere he’s been.

Chris Beard would be my choice, even over Hurley (because of the ridiculous amount you would have to pay, and sports personalities usually shine most before they get paid).

Career win-percentage of 69%, 15th-best among active coaches with 10 or more years of experience
2019 AP National Coach of the Year
Led three different programs to the NCAA Tournament over the previous nine years
Undefeated in the opening round at 5-0
His all-time record in the NCAA Tournament is 11-5 (.688)
Made it to 2019 National Championship game with Texas Tech.
He is a four-time conference coach of the year recipient.
High-level recruiter
Led Texas to #2 in the nation before the accusations against him
Led Ole Miss to 8 more wins than 2022-23
Won first 13 games of 2023-24

Setting his teams up for NCAAT success:

KenPom numbers tell the story for a team's likely success in the tournament. Here is how Chris Beard's teams have stacked up:

Ark. Little Rock 2015-16: AdjEM 56 / AdjO 98 / AdjD 33 - Won the first round game against Purdue (#5 seed)

Texas Tech 2016-17: AdjEM 41 / AdjO 44 / AdjD 56 - Did not make the tournament in first year at TT, but those are solid numbers, and he improved Tex. Tech. in every area from previous season.
Texas Tech 2017-18: AdjEM 11 / AdjO 50 / AdjD 4 - Put Texas Tech in position to win in the tournament, and made it to the Elite Eight
Texas Tech 2018-19: AdjEM 5 / AdjO 25 / AdjD 1 - #1 Defense, #25 offense, and made it to the Championship game
Texas Tech 2019-20: AdjEM 21 / AdjO 47 / AdjD 9 - No tournament because of COVID. This is the only season for Beard in D1 that he had a dip in winning percentage, which is to be expected after a Runner-up year.
Texas Tech 2020-21: AdjEM 17 / AdjO 32 / AdjD 18 - #6 seed, though the numbers suggest they should have been a higher seed. Big 12 was a gauntlet that year, where Tex. Tech lost 11 games, but only two were to non-top-25 teams

Texas 2021-22: AdjEM 15 / AdjO 26 / AdjD 14 - Again, Beard's team earned a #6 seed and won his first game in the tournament. He took them from a #26 on KenPom under Shaka Smart to #15.

Texas 2022-23: Beard only coached 8 games, but Texas finished with AdjEM 5 /AdjO 15 / AdjD 13 - Texas earned a #2 seed as a roster put together by Beard

Ole Miss 2023-24: AdjEM 86 / AdjO 54 / AdjD 141 - Strangely, this was is worst defensive team by a mile. He seems to be defensive-minded. He improved Ole Miss from 122 to 86 overall, and improved the offense from 148 to 54. Defensively, Ole Miss took a dip, but I would say that changes this year.

To summarize, Beard has only been outside the top-21 in three seasons as a D1 head coach, and all of them were his first year on the job at the respective program.

To compare to Cal, Kentucky has finished outside the top-21 in the following years: 2024, 2023, 2021, 2020, 2013. Four of those were in the last 5 years!

To compare with Hurley: It took Dan Hurley three years to get to the top-21 at UConn, and he never got into the top-21 at Rhode Island, which isn't surprising given the conference effect.

To compare with Scott Drew: Baylor has finished below top-21 in the following years: 2019, 2018, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2011. I'll stop there, for that covers Cal's tenure at UK.

According to metrics, he has had teams in position to win the NCAAT in three of his eight seasons coaching (four of nine if you count the year Texas ousted him), and his AdjO was only slightly off in 2020 (when there was no tournament), or it would have been half the time.

Negatively, I think a Beard hire, and possibly Dan Hurley, will mean a certain Reed Sheppard departure. Honestly, Scott Drew was probably the only coach - maybe Donovan - who could have convinced Reed for another year.
You may be right.

That's a fair argument.

Do we have proof he is an alcoholic? Do we have proof the accusations against him were true?

The charges were dropped, and he is, at this time, innocent of what was accused. Obviously, that doesn't mean he didn't do it, but it does mean that he's not guilty under the law of man.

If I were Barnhart, I would stipulate in the contract that if any form of public intoxication, or even substance use, is witnessed, it would mean immediate termination. If he can't sign his name to that, then he can go pound salt in Mississippi.
No one is ever found innocent of anything. The charges were dropped, but even if their was a trial he would not be found innocent just not guilty

Anyone who wants Beard should take a good hard look at his record since being the runner-up in 2019

5 years of mid, .500 in conference and first weekend exits

Underperformed this year at Ole Miss with a LOADED top 10 transfer class of veterans

BG 2.0
With his history he isn’t getting hired but that ole miss teaM wasn’t anywhere near loaded lol

We can hire Beard once we get to the Sutton/Gillispie line of hires. We’re on the Tubby/Hall line now. Drunks are next!

With Beard it's not about his coaching acumen. He's got an addictive personality and UK isn't the job for an "image rebuild". If he was hitting the bottle hard and beating the snot out of his wife at UT, where FB is king--what would make you think the stress/microscope of this job wouldn't beat him down and turn to his addiction which leads to chaos off the court.

Kentucky isn't in a position they can gamble a "guy figured it out". off the court. That has to be stable.
No shit. That would feel like another possible BCG and a former TT coach. That alone gives me the willies.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I'm just going to say too soon from that incident.

Nothing against redemption and maybe it was actually nothing/false report but perhaps the wiser path would be to allow some space to show this is not reasonably likely to crop up again.

If Mitch Bernhardt is the Christian he says he is. Forgiveness and giving second chances is one of the biggest parts of being a Christian. So if he doesn’t hire someone because of something they’ve done in their past. I would question how much christian values you actually have.
Oh good lord, please. Just stop.

Worst post this week.

Reactions: king of cali
We would be in the title game in 2 years. He is second only to Hurley in his coaching

Chris Beard would be my choice, even over Hurley (because of the ridiculous amount you would have to pay, and sports personalities usually shine most before they get paid).

Career win-percentage of 69%, 15th-best among active coaches with 10 or more years of experience
2019 AP National Coach of the Year
Led three different programs to the NCAA Tournament over the previous nine years
Undefeated in the opening round at 5-0
His all-time record in the NCAA Tournament is 11-5 (.688)
Made it to 2019 National Championship game with Texas Tech.
He is a four-time conference coach of the year recipient.
High-level recruiter
Led Texas to #2 in the nation before the accusations against him
Led Ole Miss to 8 more wins than 2022-23
Won first 13 games of 2023-24

Setting his teams up for NCAAT success:

KenPom numbers tell the story for a team's likely success in the tournament. Here is how Chris Beard's teams have stacked up:

Ark. Little Rock 2015-16: AdjEM 56 / AdjO 98 / AdjD 33 - Won the first round game against Purdue (#5 seed)

Texas Tech 2016-17: AdjEM 41 / AdjO 44 / AdjD 56 - Did not make the tournament in first year at TT, but those are solid numbers, and he improved Tex. Tech. in every area from previous season.
Texas Tech 2017-18: AdjEM 11 / AdjO 50 / AdjD 4 - Put Texas Tech in position to win in the tournament, and made it to the Elite Eight
Texas Tech 2018-19: AdjEM 5 / AdjO 25 / AdjD 1 - #1 Defense, #25 offense, and made it to the Championship game
Texas Tech 2019-20: AdjEM 21 / AdjO 47 / AdjD 9 - No tournament because of COVID. This is the only season for Beard in D1 that he had a dip in winning percentage, which is to be expected after a Runner-up year.
Texas Tech 2020-21: AdjEM 17 / AdjO 32 / AdjD 18 - #6 seed, though the numbers suggest they should have been a higher seed. Big 12 was a gauntlet that year, where Tex. Tech lost 11 games, but only two were to non-top-25 teams

Texas 2021-22: AdjEM 15 / AdjO 26 / AdjD 14 - Again, Beard's team earned a #6 seed and won his first game in the tournament. He took them from a #26 on KenPom under Shaka Smart to #15.

Texas 2022-23: Beard only coached 8 games, but Texas finished with AdjEM 5 /AdjO 15 / AdjD 13 - Texas earned a #2 seed as a roster put together by Beard

Ole Miss 2023-24: AdjEM 86 / AdjO 54 / AdjD 141 - Strangely, this was is worst defensive team by a mile. He seems to be defensive-minded. He improved Ole Miss from 122 to 86 overall, and improved the offense from 148 to 54. Defensively, Ole Miss took a dip, but I would say that changes this year.

To summarize, Beard has only been outside the top-21 in three seasons as a D1 head coach, and all of them were his first year on the job at the respective program.

To compare to Cal, Kentucky has finished outside the top-21 in the following years: 2024, 2023, 2021, 2020, 2013. Four of those were in the last 5 years!

To compare with Hurley: It took Dan Hurley three years to get to the top-21 at UConn, and he never got into the top-21 at Rhode Island, which isn't surprising given the conference effect.

To compare with Scott Drew: Baylor has finished below top-21 in the following years: 2019, 2018, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2011. I'll stop there, for that covers Cal's tenure at UK.

According to metrics, he has had teams in position to win the NCAAT in three of his eight seasons coaching (four of nine if you count the year Texas ousted him), and his AdjO was only slightly off in 2020 (when there was no tournament), or it would have been half the time.

Negatively, I think a Beard hire, and possibly Dan Hurley, will mean a certain Reed Sheppard departure. Honestly, Scott Drew was probably the only coach - maybe Donovan - who could have convinced Reed for another year.
Interesting you list the winning percentage as a big positive. Arkansas coach has a much higher winning percentage and doesn't bite women .

At least we know his wife won't tell him what jobs he can take. 😄

Man she broke his readers 😃 give the man a break
Best Coach available

Allegedly. It’s not like he had 2 final fours vacated Or anything.
Cheating in recruiting/running a program isn't in the same stratosphere as beating up a woman. And Beard cheated in that aspect too. So what direction must we ignore for him to be eliminated from contention?

I view recruiting violations like speeding-every program does it, just don't whine when you get caught.

After the Pope rumors the boosters need to snack barney and make him offer beard or someone way better than pope.

Cheating in recruiting/running a program isn't in the same stratosphere as beating up a woman. And Beard cheated in that aspect too. So what direction must we ignore for him to be eliminated from contention?

I view recruiting violations like speeding-every program does it, just don't whine when you get caught.
I don’t approve of beating women and looking past it but the simple fact is the prosecutor dropped the charges. So he didn’t infact do it according to the law so who are you to judge when you weren’t there is the point. If we, as society, go down that path then it is just a matter of locking people up we Don’t like, or ahum political opponents. For all we know their sex life is dom and rough and she tried to
Twist it into blackmail.

I don’t approve of beating women and looking past it but the simple fact is the prosecutor dropped the charges. So he didn’t infact do it according to the law so who are you to judge when you weren’t there is the point. If we, as society, go down that path then it is just a matter of locking people up weDon’t like, or ahum political opponents.
So why did Texas move on from him if there's nothing to it? Why wouldn't Beard fight to keep his job at Texas if he didn't do anything wrong and there's nothing to this? Seems like an odd move to prove your innocence.

Do you know how many domestic situations end with no charges? Someone makes a call (correctly) and then by the time the police arrive things get real and nobody wants to press charges because the abuser convinces the beaten "we'll lose it all and I'm going to change...." when reality is their fear of going to jail/prison is what motivates the lovey talk.

Prosecutors drop charges on a lot of cases they know someone broke the law but they can't prove if witness won't provide a testimony and doesn't want to pursue the charges--which again often happen because the abuser has promised the moon to the victim. In their particular case, sounds like both are addictive people who like to be physically violent with each other so they fit the profile of the usual couple that gets off on drama, takes it too far, and then reconciles after someone gets a little too violent.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
So why did Texas move on from him if there's nothing to it? Why wouldn't Beard fight to keep his job at Texas if he didn't do anything wrong and there's nothing to this? Seems like an odd move to prove your innocence.

Do you know how many domestic situations end with no charges? Someone makes a call (correctly) and then by the time the police arrive things get real and nobody wants to press charges because the abuser convinces the beaten "we'll lose it all and I'm going to change...." when reality is their fear of going to jail/prison is what motivates the lovey talk.

Prosecutors drop charges on a lot of cases they know someone broke the law but they can't prove if witness won't provide a testimony and doesn't want to pursue the charges--which again often happen because the abuser has promised the moon to the victim. In their particular case, sounds like both are addictive people who like to be physically violent with each other so they fit the profile of the usual couple that gets off on drama, takes it too far, and then reconciles after someone gets a little too violent.
I’m very familiar with the cases inside the court system yes thanks for asking tho. And some domestic cases the girl is the aggressor since we are posting the domestic violence book for dummies. The fact you can’t blur is you have no clue what the prosecutor knows and doesn’t know , just making presumptions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT