ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s how the refs helped Oakland close out the win

UKUGA

All-American
Jan 26, 2007
Washington metro
Calipari is not a good coach. His teams are ill-prepared, he uses poor line-ups, and his teams regularly find themselves trailing from the outset (and then late), subjecting themselves to the whims of crooked/incompetent officials.

One of the reasons these upsets are still somewhat “rare” across the sport is that underdogs tend to get tight in these close/late situations, while more talented, deeper teams tend to make plays late; and sometimes, officials even bail out the favorite with a timely call (see Kansas last night), and at the end of the day, the blue-blooded favorite pulls out the victory.

For KY, this is no longer the case. We won’t go back in history and discuss the big official-driven momentum swing late in the St. Peter’s game or the horrendous officiating in the K State game last year. Instead, we will just look at a few key calls/items from the last 10 minutes of last night’s game.

Score is 57-52 as the clock drops below 9:00. Kentucky is having a good defensive possession. Watts has it in the corner for a tough turnaround with 2.5 on the shot clock. However, the ref bails out Watts with a foul on Dillingham. Announcer, “what a terrible foul!”

Replay reveals that there is no foul.

Kentucky, a poor defensive team all season has a solid defensive possession at a critical juncture and the refs bail out the underdog.

Watts makes them both. 59-52.

67-65 as the clock drops below 4:00, Conway gets the ball at the top of the key and looks scared. He arguably travels as he makes his move to the basket. The ref blows his whistle and Mitchell makes the travel signal because he knows he didn’t touch the guy.

Nah. Ref signals foul on the floor and it’s so obviously not on Mitchell that the giddy announcer screams gleefully, “foul on Wagner!”

Wagner is no longer anywhere near the play.

Mitchell shakes his head and we go to break. The foul is on him.

No replay.

After the break, Conway hits 2 free throws.

69-65.

Refs handed Oakland two points when Conway did nothing except for maybe travel.

Next possession, still 69-65, Gohlke comes off the screen with Sheppard on him. He misses the shot and it’s a foul on Sheppard with 3:33 left.

Replay (this time) shows Gohlke kick his leg out and he clearly kicks Sheppard in the shin, which is why he fell down. This is what *likely* led to the foul call.

Replay also appears to show Sheppard’s right pinkie finger making contact with Gohlke’s right pinkie. Announcer, “that’s a foul!”

If an offensive foul and defensive foul simultaneously occur, what is the correct call?

Three shots for Oakland. Gohlke makes 2. 71-65.

75-71, Dillnghamn makes a 3 and the ball goes through the net at 1:05 (75-74). He appears to get fouled on the shot and Cal is flipping out on the sidelines and is heading toward the other end, seemingly yelling at the official.

The ball bounces and the clock ticks. And the clock ticks.

At 58 seconds (7 full seconds after the ball goes through the net), an Oakland player picks up the ball and flips it to the ref (over the last year, this has become one of my number one basketball gripes, watching Travel basketball players do this and refs allowing it - and coaches NEVER saying or doing anything about it). Ref flips it to Oakland player at 56.5 and he inbounds in 3 seconds. 12 seconds from the time the ball went through the net and Oakland inbounding the ball. That’s easily one possession worth of time in what is a close game late.

(Ref can blow it dead when Oakland doesn’t secure the ball quickly, instead, he aids their effort to burn clock by accepting the pass and passing the ball to the Oakland player).

Now, KY had 3 timeouts. It would not have been irrational for Cal to call time out, but he was distracted from what was happening because he was running away from the action and screaming at the ref instead of coaching his team.

And that’s all I care to discuss. Kentucky still had a chance after this, but they were mostly hapless.

I don’t like John Calipari. I don’t even watch many UK games anymore.

But, I do know basketball. And I know how refs manipulate games. You can go back and watch a 40 year old game and see the same stuff.

Get as justifiably mad as you want about a lazy, overpaid coach and an underperforming roster.

But please, please make sure you process the steps refs happily take to help yoh blow a big game.

God forbid we ever have one bad loss where nobody tries to scapegoat the refs on this board. Every. Single. Time. I’m just surprised it took this long this time.

Would also be neat if people read the posts they responded too.

Actually processing information is actually way too much to expect, though.

Reactions: NostraDanis
I get it but we should have stomped this team by 20, no game preparation at all from The Hall of Fame Coach and no in game adjustments to stop the re-incarnated Larry Bird who single handedly beat us.

Yep.

That’s part of the point of the post.

Calipari is not a good coach. His teams are ill-prepared, he uses poor line-ups, and his teams regularly find themselves trailing from the outset (and then late), subjecting themselves to the whims of crooked/incompetent officials.

One of the reasons these upsets are still somewhat “rare” across the sport is that underdogs tend to get tight in these close/late situations, while more talented, deeper teams tend to make plays late; and sometimes, officials even bail out the favorite with a timely call (see Kansas last night), and at the end of the day, the blue-blooded favorite pulls out the victory.

For KY, this is no longer the case. We won’t go back in history and discuss the big official-driven momentum swing late in the St. Peter’s game or the horrendous officiating in the K State game last year. Instead, we will just look at a few key calls/items from the last 10 minutes of last night’s game.

Score is 57-52 as the clock drops below 9:00. Kentucky is having a good defensive possession. Watts has it in the corner for a tough turnaround with 2.5 on the shot clock. However, the ref bails out Watts with a foul on Dillingham. Announcer, “what a terrible foul!”

Replay reveals that there is no foul.

Kentucky, a poor defensive team all season has a solid defensive possession at a critical juncture and the refs bail out the underdog.

Watts makes them both. 59-52.

67-65 as the clock drops below 4:00, Conway gets the ball at the top of the key and looks scared. He arguably travels as he makes his move to the basket. The ref blows his whistle and Mitchell makes the travel signal because he knows he didn’t touch the guy.

Nah. Ref signals foul on the floor and it’s so obviously not on Mitchell that the giddy announcer screams gleefully, “foul on Wagner!”

Wagner is no longer anywhere near the play.

Mitchell shakes his head and we go to break. The foul is on him.

No replay.

After the break, Conway hits 2 free throws.

69-65.

Refs handed Oakland two points when Conway did nothing except for maybe travel.

Next possession, still 69-65, Gohlke comes off the screen with Sheppard on him. He misses the shot and it’s a foul on Sheppard with 3:33 left.

Replay (this time) shows Gohlke kick his leg out and he clearly kicks Sheppard in the shin, which is why he fell down. This is what *likely* led to the foul call.

Replay also appears to show Sheppard’s right pinkie finger making contact with Gohlke’s right pinkie. Announcer, “that’s a foul!”

If an offensive foul and defensive foul simultaneously occur, what is the correct call?

Three shots for Oakland. Gohlke makes 2. 71-65.

75-71, Dillnghamn makes a 3 and the ball goes through the net at 1:05 (75-74). He appears to get fouled on the shot and Cal is flipping out on the sidelines and is heading toward the other end, seemingly yelling at the official.

The ball bounces and the clock ticks. And the clock ticks.

At 58 seconds (7 full seconds after the ball goes through the net), an Oakland player picks up the ball and flips it to the ref (over the last year, this has become one of my number one basketball gripes, watching Travel basketball players do this and refs allowing it - and coaches NEVER saying or doing anything about it). Ref flips it to Oakland player at 56.5 and he inbounds in 3 seconds. 12 seconds from the time the ball went through the net and Oakland inbounding the ball. That’s easily one possession worth of time in what is a close game late.

(Ref can blow it dead when Oakland doesn’t secure the ball quickly, instead, he aids their effort to burn clock by accepting the pass and passing the ball to the Oakland player).

Now, KY had 3 timeouts. It would not have been irrational for Cal to call time out, but he was distracted from what was happening because he was running away from the action and screaming at the ref instead of coaching his team.

And that’s all I care to discuss. Kentucky still had a chance after this, but they were mostly hapless.

I don’t like John Calipari. I don’t even watch many UK games anymore.

But, I do know basketball. And I know how refs manipulate games. You can go back and watch a 40 year old game and see the same stuff.

Get as justifiably mad as you want about a lazy, overpaid coach and an underperforming roster.

But please, please make sure you process the steps refs happily take to help yoh blow a big game.
Cal has not endeared himself to college refs. His teams will never get the benefit of a close
call

Reactions: LordEgg and UKUGA
Would also be neat if people read the posts they responded too.

Actually processing information is actually way too much to expect, though.
Well, I'll admit that this time I didn't read the entire post before responding. I'm just too sick of reading these same ref posts after EVERY single bad loss to keep doing it when they're too long.

There's myriad reasons why we lost that game, those include the facts that:

1) Their coach used these weird things called zone defenses that our coach had no clue how to attack.

2) Two of our three best players (Sheppard and Dillingham) had the "deer in headlights" look and played uncharacteristically awful games at the same time for once.

3) Two of their players (Gohlke and Townsend) played TREMENDOUS games.

4) Way too many defensive lapses ...as USUAL with this team.

5) We made some terribly boneheaded mistakes (Mitchell passing a live ball to the official, Edwards getting blocked by the rim on an uncontested dunk, Big Z's blatant "hip check" moving screen, horrible passes that turned "should've been" buckets into bad turnovers, etc.).

In short, we lost because we were poorly prepared and played like crap, and they were well prepared and played really well. Whatever influence the refs might've had is minimal compared to that.

There is not another competent coach in the country that would not have called a timeout immediately when the ball went through the net on Dilly's miraculous 3 pointer.

Coach K said he managed the last 4 minutes of a game by the second. Cal blew 15 seconds of game time chasing an official and arguing for a call that has already passed. Dumb coaching cost us this game. Again. Period.

A TO right there would have a. Stopped the clock b. Allowed UK to set up full court pressure. C. Put more pressure on Oakland D. Allowed the UK crowd time to go nuts and put pressure on the refs to make a call. And E. Cal could have yelled at the ref with the dam clock stopped.

Last edited:
There is not another decent coach in the country that would not have called a timeout immediately when the ball went through the net on Dilly's miraculous 3 pointer.

Coach K said he managed the last 4 minutes of a game by the second. Cal blew 15 seconds of game time chasing an official and arguing for a call that has already passed. Dumb coaching cost us this game. Again. Period.
A TO right there would have a. Stopped the clock b. Allowed UK to set up full court pressure. C. Put more pressure on Oakland D. Allowed the UK crowd time to go nuts and put pressure on the refs to make a call. And E. Cal could have yelled at the ref with the clock stopped.

Yep.

Reactions: cathouse
I hate the refs as much as anyone but we lost because young player played scared and nervous, our coach didn't have a strong game plan to overwhelm a lesser team, and our defense played like it did every game of the season.

Reactions: UK90
Well, I'll admit that this time I didn't read the entire post before responding. I'm just too sick of reading these same ref posts after EVERY single bad loss to keep doing it when they're too long.

There's myriad reasons why we lost that game, those include the facts that:

1) Their coach used these weird things called zone defenses that our coach had no clue how to attack.

2) Two of our three best players (Sheppard and Dillingham) had the "deer in headlights" look and played uncharacteristically awful games at the same time for once.

3) Two of their players (Gohlke and Townsend) played TREMENDOUS games.

4) Way too many defensive lapses ...as USUAL with this team.

5) We made some terribly boneheaded mistakes (Mitchell passing a live ball to the official, Edwards getting blocked by the rim on an uncontested dunk, Big Z's blatant "hip check" moving screen, horrible passes that turned "should've been" buckets into bad turnovers, etc.).

In short, we lost because we were poorly prepared and played like crap, and they were well prepared and played really well. Whatever influence the refs might've had is minimal compared to that.

It’s pretty clear that people want to be more mad at Cal than anything else - I get that.

It also plays right into the hands of the corrupt officials.

Given what they did when they had opportunities, I have doubts that they would have executed if those other plays had gone their way.

That said, it’s much more than “minimal” impact when your defense creates three stops that the refs help turn into 6 points over the last nine minutes of what ended up being a 4 point loss.

(6 > 4).

In fact, that’s pretty significant.

Shame on KY for not winning by 15. Too much talent to play footsie with Oakland.

But letting the refs off the hook because we want our coach gone plays right into their corrupt hands, as well.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
Right.

A good team would step on the court and throttle a weaker opponent the way UConn did to Stetson.

Pitino used to do this.

The Sweet 16 used to be a given.
At the very least, it's close for about 10 minutes as they play on adrenaline and then you pull away. Like UNC did to Wagner. Like UT did to St. Peters.

But no. We have a clueless coach that makes NO adjustments and now can't teach defense.

Reactions: UKUGA
Here's how Kentucky helped Oakland pull off the upset win

Gohlke 10 for 20 from 3, Oakland 15 for 31 from 3
Wagner, Sheppard, Dillingham 3 for 19 from the floor

Are the referees supposed to defend Gohlke from 3 and make 3s for Kentucky.

Did anyone catch the Dillingham interview in the locker room where he said that they couldn't do anything about it, that every time they tried to guard someone they got called for a foul.

I was kinda shocked to hear a player come right out and say it. Can't remember hearing anyone do that before.

When all else fails blame it on the reffs its Cows fault he just can’t coach

If you read the OP, you will see it’s in there.

People are so dumb, I bet if I had written the same post, under the heading “another way Cal blew this game” it would have 15 likes by now and a bunch of responses that had nothing to do with what l wrote.

Did anyone catch the Dillingham interview in the locker room where he said that they couldn't do anything about it, that every time they tried to guard someone they got called for a foul.

I was kinda shocked to hear a player come right out and say it. Can't remember hearing anyone do that before.

He had a lot to say to the ref who called that 8:55 foul on him.

Reactions: FirewithFire
Not commenting on the officiating and its impact but I knew we were in trouble at halftime when we were trailing with a huge foul advantage.

Refs balancing out the foul calls in the second half is incredibly predictable and happened like clock work last night.

Here's how Kentucky helped Oakland pull off the upset win

Gohlke 10 for 20 from 3, Oakland 15 for 31 from 3
Wagner, Sheppard, Dillingham 3 for 19 from the floor

Are the referees supposed to defend Gohlke from 3 and make 3s for Kentucky.

Again, poor preparation. Terrible execution. Coaching. Youth. Inexperience.

All discussed ad nauseum.

Nonetheless, down the stretch, when we did make some decent defensive plays, it was not rewarded, to the tune of at least 6 points in the last nine minutes.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
Not commenting on the officiating and its impact but I knew we were in trouble at halftime when we were trailing with a huge foul advantage.

Refs balancing out the foul calls in the second half is incredibly predictable and happened like clock work last night.

Yep.

We got a lot of calls in the first half and Il did nothing to punish that team.

It was pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: FitchandMurray29
I’m not even reading this. Refs? We lost to a 14 seed. Refs shouldn’t be able to do anything about it. All on Cal and the players who were disserviced this year. Stop deflecting.

If you read the OP, you will see it’s in there.

People are so dumb, I bet if I had written the same post, under the heading “another way Cal blew this game” it would have 15 likes by now and a bunch of responses that had nothing to do with what l wrote.
Most of the UK fans I know are just fed up with the excuses for an unprepared, ill-coached Kentucky team with enough talent to beat a 14 seed with all 3 refs cheating for them.

Cal has to go. He has our program at the bottom of the barrel and does not have the coaching ability to turn things around.

Time to go, Cal. Time to go.

Most of the UK fans I know are just fed up with the excuses for an unprepared, ill-coached Kentucky team with enough talent to beat a 14 seed with all 3 refs cheating for them.

Cal has to go. He has our program at the bottom of the barrel and does not have the coaching ability to turn things around.

Time to go, Cal. Time to go.

I agree.

He needs to go.

I also think that people need to be able to process multiple aspects of a situation.

Even among those of us who would have been happy for him to leave years ago, there is a large contingent who believes we (and Cal) were ripped off in 2015, and a large portion of those people agree we were ripped off in 2017, and a small, but still decent amount of people see how the whistle dried up during the last 8-10 minutes of the regional final in 2019.

All of those losses factor into the frustration.

Cal has slipped. The program has slipped.

But the refs were stealing from us when we were at the pinnacle, and they are still sticking it to us on the way down.

One could argue that the way they stole Cal’s glory in 2015, is still factoring into what is going on today.

I’m not even reading this. Refs? We lost to a 14 seed. Refs shouldn’t be able to do anything about it. All on Cal and the players who were disserviced this year. Stop deflecting.

Wah.

If you read it you’d read the blame is on Cal.

The refs just helped put the pillow over his face.

I have noticed that the people who I have observed are among the more intelligent posters on this board have made some insightful comments in this thread.

And then there’s your post. “I ain’t readin’ this! Far cow!”

I agree.

He needs to go.

I also think that people need to be able to process multiple aspects of a situation.

Even among those of us who would have been happy for him to leave years ago, there is a large contingent who believes we (and Cal) were ripped off in 2015, and a large portion of those people agree we were ripped off in 2017, and a small, but still decent amount of people see how the whistle dried up during the last 8-10 minutes of the regional final in 2019.

All of those losses factor into the frustration.

Cal has slipped. The program has slipped.

But the refs were stealing from us when we were at the pinnacle, and they are still sticking it to us on the way down.

One could argue that the way they stole Cal’s glory in 2015, is still factoring into what is going on today.
You are absolutely correct on all accounts.

Cal will NEVER get a fair whistle from certain officials. Too much history and they screw Cal every chance they get.

Unfortunately, that screwing ends up in UK's rear end and Cal waddles to the bank to cash his next check.

You are absolutely correct on all accounts.

Cal will NEVER get a fair whistle from certain officials. Too much history and they screw Cal every chance they get.

Unfortunately, that screwing ends up in UK's rear end and Cal waddles to the bank to cash his next check.

If I was a talented player, I think I might go some place where the HC wasn’t so universally despised.

Reactions: cathouse
Wah.

If you read it you’d read the blame is on Cal.

The refs just helped put the pillow over his face.

I have noticed that the people who I have observed are among the more intelligent posters on this board have made some insightful comments in this thread.

And then there’s your post. “I ain’t readin’ this! Far cow!”
What does it matter? Cal is the problem and We all know it. Everything else is splitting hairs.

Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT