ADVERTISEMENT

Strategery for Playing Tennessee

Jan 27, 2024
With our scorers, I think that we have the tools to keep Knect under control, perhaps better than most any other team in the country. Dalton is not an exceptional defender, and we should run our offense thru whomever Dalton is assigned to guard in the man to man defense. I was surprised to watch Coach Pearl fail to seize this last night in the AU/Tenn game- Knect fouled early in the game, and had to sit in the first half when he picked up his second. In the second half he noticeably backed off of his man to avoid picking up his fourth foul- UT MUST have his scoring to win. UK playing a scorer at all 5 positions will pay dividends in the game by keeping Knect in foul trouble- or by forcing tennessee (no caps are intentional!) into a zone, which I feel no one can be effective playing against us with our 3 point shooting ability.

Get Knect into foul trouble, and limit his playing time, and we have a good chance to outscore the vols in knoxville.

UT didn’t need his scoring when they beat us in Rupp. We limited Knect as well as anyone could holding him to 16 with most of that coming late. Ziegler and James had 26 apiece on us and the other two starters were in double figures with 11 each.
The key is stopping those other orange bums from going off against us and rebounding. Absolutely do not give them 2nd chance points. Sickening they put 103 up on us in Rupp.
I remember we used to let Pete Maravich get his and David Robinson holds the scoring record in Rupp but we won the games.

UT didn’t need his scoring when they beat us in Rupp. We limited Knect as well as anyone could holding him to 16 with most of that coming late. Ziegler and James had 26 apiece on us and the other two starters were in double figures with 11 each.
The key is stopping those other orange bums from going off against us and rebounding. Absolutely do not give them 2nd chance points. Sickening they put 103 up on us in Rupp.
I remember we used to let Pete Maravich get his and David Robinson holds the scoring record in Rupp but we won the games.
Agree- defense has improved, and would like to see us do the same with offensive boards.

Reactions: ukjenning44
Rick Barnes had more to do with holding Knecht to 16 than our defense did.

Ricky Regular Season Barnes kept him on the bench for most of the second half.

Let’s just take care of these next two first. Never underestimate Cal’s ability to lay an egg against a shitty team at Rupp.
I made the post after watching the Auburn vs UT game last night, and what I thought Auburn should have done- I definitely agree on the focus on the next 2 games!

UT had their high screeners literally push the defender with both hands the entire game. Shore up inbounds plays and get the refs to call illegal screens and we might make a game of it.
You aint kiddin.....screens are basically football blockers and no call.

But if you big man has his hips out a bit and the defender "sells it"...then they react to the flopping more than the feet set and legal screen action.

I noticed in the Auburn/Tenn game there were a number of high ball screens set by Auburn where the guard passed to a big and went around them for a handoff and Tennessee trailed the guard. If the guard had kept rolling to the basket instead of flaring out he would have been wide open for a pass from the big for a layup or foul from a help defender.

Reactions: Haggin_Hall_1983
the focus is on Knecht but shutting down Ziegler and not getting beat on the boards is how you beat them. Force someone other than Ziegler to stir the drink and keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible
Ziegler went wild in Rupp but Wagner didn’t play and couldn’t help guard him. Also Mitchell was sore and had ZERO points. Z sat on the bench. We go to Knoxville healthy and I expect a win.

Let’s just take care of these next two first. Never underestimate Cal’s ability to lay an egg against a shitty team at Rupp.
Yep…no truer words spoken on here. Imagine dropping the game to Vandy?!?! Ugh…with Cal that’s a real possibility

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT