ADVERTISEMENT

Ten of Fourteen SEC schools With Major Coaching/Scheme Changes for 2020?!?

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
A CBS article on Jimbo Fisher needing to produce big in ‘20 to match his contract value made an interesting observation: A & M is one of only 4 SEC schools not trying to implement a new offense or defense, or major coordinator this off season.

I think we are also one of those 4.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-m-coach-in-the-2020-college-football-season/

”Coaching stability matters. Texas A&M is one of four SEC teams not to have a coordinator or scheme change during the unorthodox offseason. In theory, when fall camp cranks up, its depth chart will just need tweaking while schools with coaching and scheme changes will be scrambling just to get up to speed.”

I hope we get a season!

Last edited:
I’ll take every advantage we can get. All the turnover reminds me of 2018 a little when at least FL, TN, MS St we’re breaking in new head coaches and others like UofL and Vandy we’re changing coordinators. Worked out well for us for the most part that year, hope it does again!

UGA hired what they hope is their version of Joe Brady for offense, so I’d think they aren’t one of the four.
True, and interestingly enough, TA&M hired Coley for OC after he was let go in Athens (although sounds like Jimbo is going to be calling the plays).
The pressure is mounting in College Station for Jimbo to put a date on that National Championship trophy.

Doesn't Jimbo's contract make him near unfireable? I get if they go 8-4 there's going to be a lot of consternation, but they'll have to pony up the $ if they are firing him at that or 7-5.

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/08/jimbo_fishers_75_million_contr.html

If fired he's owed the full $75 million over 10 years balance remaining. He's only two years in. I guess the recent NCAA violation could be "cause" to void the contract, but that's for the lawyers to argue about.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
The continuity in our coaching staff will pay huge dividends this year. We have a roster full of returning players that already know the system. This should put us ahead of the curve when the season starts. I know the offense was changed in the middle of last season. But, they spent the whole off-season before practicing the system we will be running this year. Could be a fun year. Assuming there is a season.

I mean, without Bowden running the show, our receivers will be learning a new system...;).

I freaking hope so.

This is another example of a program where fan expectations exceed reality which makes it extremely difficult for a head coach to succeed. When coaches get pushed into a corner they start making wholesale changes that often don't work out. So far it looks like Jimbo has been able to survive without doing that but for how much longer?

In reality it could take 4 or 5 years for a&m to make a run at the West. Heck they could have the number 3 or number 2 team in the country and still not make it to Atlanta, but the fans there with their "win or else" attitude won't stand for it.

I think one thing that is really going to help this season, our receivers have learned to block for runners and each other.

UGA hired what they hope is their version of Joe Brady for offense, so I’d think they aren’t one of the four.

The plan is to open up the offense, Newman looked good at Wake until he lost his top WR, the transfer from SoCal I dont know much about or if he is eligible, we have the kid returning from brain surgery that is 6'6" 220 and ran 10.6 100 m that I hope considers a position change if he is 1 or 2 on depth chart and THE MAILMAN who was Fromm's backup. So we have more than QB on scholarship. The OC put up big numbers in college and Tampa Bay, but Cleveland's offense was pretty bad, but he wasn't the play caller and why he left. But the real question is will L Kirby let him open things up, our defense will be better and deeper in 20, or will he play ball control and field position? Hopefully he saw what making the other team cover the entire field produces.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Continuity in staff & schemes can make for a much more productive season as everyone is familiar with each other and the playbook. Which schools have the same head coach, offensive & defensive coordinators, and starting QB as last year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT