ADVERTISEMENT

Could Texas A&M come for Stoops?

if smart they would go get Josh Huepel from UT. Or Dabo
Josh Huepel couldn't score more than 3 points against Missouri.

The shine is wearing off him really quickly.

The Vol fans are already wanting him gone. If Georgia routs them in Knoxville, look out.

It could get really nasty in K-town.

Just going by stoops history. I think this is his last job. Growing up as a public school coach's son he has more money than he ever thought possible, his dad died on a side line, his older brother retired before 60, I think CMS does the same. That isn't meant to be negative in any way, but his family history is what it is. Time to enjoy his time. I personally think he is one of the better coaches in SEC,
If MY TEAM was 11-0 against old CMS, I would love him too.

And worse than being 11-0, we are no longer competitive with Georgia......or any other top level team in the conference.

And worse than being 11-0, we are no longer competitive with Georgia......or any other top level team in the conference.
To be fair we probably can’t get anyone who would compete with them or Bama ever. Sucks but that’s the way football is especially with NIL.

I just wonder if there is a big knife sticking in Jimbo's back with the initials BP on the handle???

I'm guessing old Petrino will take over head coaching the rest of the season which might give him a shot at being named HC if TA&M is looking for an experienced offensive minded coach who will work for cheap.....or crack....cheap crack.

Those rankings are not transferring to the on field product. We have some 4 star players not even getting playing time. Rankings from high school do not mean victories in college. His in game management is the worst in the business. Wasted timeouts, stupid penalties, undisciplined play have killed this team. In my opinion and I do not know this to be fact but all indications are that he is a control freak, unwilling to surrender that control when it comes to managing this team. Yes we get some good players but getting 4-5 when other schools are getting 15-20 then not developing them because you refuse to trust your coaches. Kids want to play an exciting brand of football. Running the fewest offensive plays in D1 means they may only get 2-3 opportunities to be involved in a game. It’s boring, they lose focus then they start losing interest. It’s a losing mentality that he’s refused to change over the years. Yes it’s led to some great seasons but each season is different based on personnel. We have had one running back really shine this year, we have wasted our 3 best wide receivers. I would not be a bit surprised if Brown, Key hit the portal. Dane Key looked like he was saying goodbye yesterday.
are those inclinations from reading this board? Because this is the only place I've heard anyone say that he is a control freak. His coordinators say the opposite.

I live in Dallas and know better. Texans are all loud mouths that talk big, but aren't shyt. Especially that cult in College Station. Didn't break the bank for Mike Sherman. Not for Kevin Sumlin. Buzz Williams. Bill Kennedy. They paid too much for Jimbo, but if money was truly no object, they'd fired him two years ago. All hat, no cattle. Some small timer going to get a nice promotion, but not Stoops money.
My dad used to say that. He also used to say "he was born on third base and acts like he hit a triple."

That is true but I don’t know if a top notch coach who would come here honestly. If we happened to get a sleeper that could win 11 games he would probably get poached.
$9M a year will buy a lot of great coaches.

Do you know how few coaches make that kind of money???

It will take an AD with a desire to move the FB program forward and the knowledge to know the best available coach to get us to the next level and to make the right hire.

MB is not that person.

Stoops not name dropped in this…but Jon Sumrall is

For obvious reasons, not a single list I've read all day, and I've read about 10, listed Stoops as a possibility. If it somehow happened, that Stoops was hired, College Station, Texas would be the site of one of the largest riots in modern American history.

For obvious reasons, not a single list I've read all day, and I've read about 10, listed Stoops as a possibility. If it somehow happened, that Stoops was hired, College Station, Texas would be the site of one of the largest riots in modern American history.
They would have to buy him a pony, for sure......

It’s not anyone’s job on this forum to find a replacement, give it a break. Anyone who is paying attention knows that stoops has hit his ceiling here and it’s mostly due to his own doing. He recruits well enough to compete but he will never get past his conservative nature. He coaches like a scared little girl. With stoops, moving forward we are going to get 7-5 or 6-6 seasons at best and continue to lose by an average of over 26 points to the elite competition in the SEC. No thank you as far as I’m concerned. Bring someone in who has a vision of getting UK to the next step, stoops has shown time and time again he isn’t capable. Settling for stoops is settling for mediocrity.
Well put.

It’s not anyone’s job on this forum to find a replacement, give it a break. Anyone who is paying attention knows that stoops has hit his ceiling here and it’s mostly due to his own doing. He recruits well enough to compete but he will never get past his conservative nature. He coaches like a scared little girl. With stoops, moving forward we are going to get 7-5 or 6-6 seasons at best and continue to lose by an average of over 26 points to the elite competition in the SEC. No thank you as far as I’m concerned. Bring someone in who has a vision of getting UK to the next step, stoops has shown time and time again he isn’t capable. Settling for stoops is settling for mediocrity.
I couldn’t agree more. Good post.

$9M a year will buy a lot of great coaches.

Do you know how few coaches make that kind of money???

It will take an AD with a desire to move the FB program forward and the knowledge to know the best available coach to get us to the next level and to make the right hire.

MB is not that person.
I agree but still they would have to come here. Any coach that could realistically make UK competitive is probably at a school that would or already pays them around 9 million. It’s not always about money, it’s about can they compete and in the SEC that’s hard and getting harder. We would have to take a chance on someone from a top 25 job and realistically who would do better than Stoops has? Historically nobody really.

All of the criticism of Stoops' coaching style ignores his recruiting prowess. Everyone wants a new coach with "a vision to compete nationally." Who can recruit here? Bill Curry couldn't recruit here. You have to get the players, and I'm afraid we never will. Most schools never will. Only a hand full of schools compete like that.

I agree but still they would have to come here. Any coach that could realistically make UK competitive is probably at a school that would or already pays them around 9 million. It’s not always about money, it’s about can they compete and in the SEC that’s hard and getting harder. We would have to take a chance on someone from a top 25 job and realistically who would do better than Stoops has? Historically nobody really.
Wow.
How do you know that?

We haven't tried anyone else. I guarantee you any coach out there making 5-6 M at ANY school would JUMP at the chance to coach in the SEC for $9M a year with the facilities and perks UK has to offer.

This is a totally false narrative that no good coach would want to come to UK.

Would you change jobs for double your salary?????

Wow.
How do you know that?

We haven't tried anyone else. I guarantee you any coach out there making 5-6 M at ANY school would JUMP at the chance to coach in the SEC for $9M a year with the facilities and perks UK has to offer.

Ok so name someone we could go get. I have 70 years of history. What makes you think UK will magically contend, and why haven’t we gotten this coach yet? I’d love to see it but I don’t see anyway Stoops gets fired or even leaves at this point. Maybe if he stops winning 7-8 games a year.

Wow.
How do you know that?

First, UK probably won’t pay the next coach $9 million to start with. He will have to stay here long enough to make that kind of money. Second, who are the coaches making $5 million who have proven they are an upgrade over Stoops?

Wow.
How do you know that?

we pay that much because people don't want to coach here. We've had one coach since Bear leave without being fired. I guess two because Brooks retired.

Ok so name someone we could go get. I have 70 years of history. What makes you think UK will magically contend, and why haven’t we gotten this coach yet?
Where did I say UK would "magically contend"?

And for the "why we haven’t gotten this coach yet?". If you have followed this program for 70 years you should know why.

Bernie Shively, Cliff hagan, Larry Ivey, CM Newton and MB all have one thing in common. Basketball first. All the UK AD's over the past 70 years have spent all their time, effort and money in keeping the Basketball program on top and the Basketball coach happy at the expense of the football program, which has been an afterthought until the SEC tv contract made football the cash cow for all the other athletic programs.

Then, and only then did MB finally give attention and funding to improve football facilities and hire coaches that can improve the program.

First, UK probably won’t pay the next coach $9 million to start with. He will have to stay here long enough to make that kind of money. Second, who are the coaches making $5 million who have proven they are an upgrade over Stoops?
UK will pay that or more, if they want a top level coach. That is the market rate, like it or not.

For starters there are 132 D1 coaches out there than can figure out how to run more than 50 offensive plays a game.

That might be a good place to start, don't you think???

we pay that much because people don't want to coach here. We've had one coach since Bear leave without being fired. I guess two because Brooks retired.
Did Guy Morris get fired??
Did Jerry Claiborne get fired??
Did Coach Brooks get fired??

Stop making the job sound worse than it really is.

The HC job at UK is a Top 10 paying job in the nation with the LOWEST EXPECTATIONS of ANY major college program paying that much money.

UK will pay that or more, if they want a top level coach. That is the market rate, like it or not.

For starters there are 132 D1 coaches out there than can figure out how to run more than 50 offensive plays a game.

That might be a good place to start, don't you think???
I don’t know what you do for a living, but it sounds like you would be fine with your boss walking in tomorrow morning and telling you that you have been a good employee but there has to be someone out there that can do better than you so he is firing you to search for that person. If you are on board with that kind of thinking, then I understand where you’re coming from. For me, that’s poor management.

The HC job at UK is a Top 10 paying job in the nation with the LOWEST EXPECTATIONS of ANY major college program paying that much money.
I acknowledged Morriss and Brooks, Claiborne absolutely got fired. He might have called in retiring, but he got fired.

I don’t know what you do for a living, but it sounds like you would be fine with your boss walking in tomorrow morning and telling you that you have been a good employee but there has to be someone out there that can do better than you so he is firing you to search for that person. If you are on board with that kind of thinking, then I understand where you’re coming from. For me, that’s poor management.
Point is understood. In the vast majority of jobs that most people have, if you show up on time, avoid conflict, and work reasonably competently, you can retire at that job and live happily ever after. But it doesn't work like this in college-football. You can work 100 hours a week, get along with everyone, be one of the best in the world at your job, and get tossed in a heartbeat for losing maybe one or two games in a given year that the fanbase thought you should've won. It sucks, but the job pays well, so there's that.

As for Stoops, he's not even on a hot seat, so for at least during a time period of couple of more years, he'll be leaving when and if he chooses.

Point is understood. In the vast majority of jobs that most people have, if you show up on time, avoid conflict, and work reasonably competently, you can retire at that job and live happily ever after. But it doesn't work like this in college-football. You can work 100 hours a week, get along with everyone, be one of the best in the world at your job, and get tossed in a heartbeat for losing maybe one or two games in a given year that the fanbase thought you should've won. It sucks, but the job pays well, so there's that.

As for Stoops, he's not even on a hot seat, so for at least during a time period of couple of more years, he'll be leaving when and if he chooses.
I agree he isn’t on the hot seat and shouldn’t be. That day may come as the SEC gets more difficult,but right now he is safe and should be safe.

Reactions: The-Hack
Claiborne absolutely got fired. He might have called in retiring, but he got fired.
BBB, I am a 35 year booster of UK Football.

I knew Jerry Claiborne, and hosted him for speaking engagements raising funds for the Nutter indoor facility.

I have NEVER heard a whisper of Coach Claiborne having been fired.

Coach was tired in 89/90 . . . and while not widely recognized in that era, clearly beginning to show signs of the dementia/decline that ended his life.

His decision to retire came shortly post-season, 1989, following a lengthy recruiting trip that exhausted him.

Last edited:

with really no chance of ever competing nationally. I'm old enough to just admit it. We can't compete with the big programs.
I have never read, or heard, anywhere that Claiborne was fired. Name your source.
my source is the fact that he couldn't win here and was asked to leave when Bill Curry indicated that he was willing to come here.

I love ya Grumpy but you all have beaten us like a rented mule since he has been here so forgive me if I don’t agree with you. Lol

And every year other than this one it's been a slugfest and close games when recruiting rankings say games shouldn't be close. This year wast the norm for the game between us. But I understand your feelings about him. I just think he is a good coach who took over a program that had mid major and D2 talent and brought it to life. I know most aren't happy with his offense, and i wouldn't be either, but his biggest issue about not taking the next step is his recruiting. I know many have said UK can't sign the super elite kids, the only way to be sure of that is not recruit them. UK got the best RB out of the portal, have pulled multiple starters from the portal that could have gone anywhere.

I have never gave an opinion on keeping or firing CMS, That's a UK administration decision. But if he is forced out, the all time winningest coach in program history, his replacement better be a homerun hire.

Stoops getting fired is made up hype too
Unfortunately It is for now. However, the three home games we’ve lost has resulted in the stadium being empty to start the 4th quarter. That’s how it starts.

I say he has the first half of next year to clean it up. Then your theory won’t be correct any longer. Fans have given up on him.

This program has nothing promising going on in the near future

Reactions: bigbluedon

All that isn't true, UK has been very competitive against UGA most years in spite a big talent difference. This year was an exception. Bama or UGA probably wouldn't swap, but about 10 of the others would.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT