ADVERTISEMENT

Jimbo Fisher being bought out for 76 million

You think Memphis and Louisville are comparable programs? Are you insane? You think Pitino at UK while Cal at UMass is comparable to Pitino at UL and Cal at UK? Both those statements are so laughable. UK and UL are top ten programs of all time. If Pitino is the coaching god some of you on here believe he is, Cal wouldn’t have beaten his ass I believe 8 out of 10 times in the UL UK matchups. And I believe if you look at the first seven years at UK for both, Cal did just as well. Cal has just been a total shit sandwich since 2019. And this coming from some who hopes Cal leaves as soon as possible.
The only NCAA title Pitino had at UK was when he had a roster full of NBA players. Sounds familiar doesn’t it?
You keep getting away from the point of the argument because you likely know Pitino at UK was better than Cal at UK.

If you want to make an argument about who has had a better overall career, have at it. But that's not what was being argued when you jumped in both feet first and decided to change the argument away from the original point.

Good lord. These universities are such corrupt cesspools, 5 years ago these same schools were saying they couldn’t afford to pay the athletes. 😂 They still won’t even pony up their own money and now expect the common fan to pony up NIL dollars while charging students 20k each for a sociology degree. It’s insane.
I challenge you to find any reference to A&M ever claiming poverty. Most schools don’t have a lot of money, Out of the 332 or whatever the D1 count is these days, 90% run their athletic programs in the red.
Then there’s the fact that there isn’t 1 taxpayer dollar going towards the buyout. Almost always those buyouts are funded by boosters. And whereas UK has Joe Kraft, A&M has 20+ Joe Craft level boosters. Between 2005 and 2022 A&M received $849 million in donations to its athletics program. (UK received $302 million good for 12th among SEC schools. Only Miss St is behind UK).

You think Memphis and Louisville are comparable programs? Are you insane? You think Pitino at UK while Cal at UMass is comparable to Pitino at UL and Cal at UK? Both those statements are so laughable. UK and UL are top ten programs of all time. If Pitino is the coaching god some of you on here believe he is, Cal wouldn’t have beaten his ass I believe 8 out of 10 times in the UL UK matchups. And I believe if you look at the first seven years at UK for both, Cal did just as well. Cal has just been a total shit sandwich since 2019. And this coming from some who hopes Cal leaves as soon as possible.
The only NCAA title Pitino had at UK was when he had a roster full of NBA players. Sounds familiar doesn’t it?
Those UMass teams were all ranked in the Top 25. 17th, 11th, 5th, and #1. Acting like they were schleps under Calipari is completely disingenuous.

You keep getting away from the point of the argument because you likely know Pitino at UK was better than Cal at UK.

If you want to make an argument about who has had a better overall career, have at it. But that's not what was being argued when you jumped in both feet first and decided to change the argument away from the original point.
I did answer you. Pitino was there 7 years. The first seven years of Cal, the results were comparable. You can’t compare after that because Pitino wasn’t there longer. Although if you look Pitino’s years at UL, he was a complete failure.

Cal sucks as a coach - Great recruiter but horrible coach
Pitino is too old now but he could coach circles around Cal

No this is not about Jimbo Fisher it is about a universities willingness to pony up to preserve the program from a mistake.

I actually think Pitino is one of the best coaches in the game. I love him. I could also care less what he did in his personal life.

But it is funny how the double standard works when it comes to talent. It's also funny how Cal detractors try and wiggle their way into somehow giving Tubby the 98 title and also giving it to Pitino. Which is it?

Reactions: ukcatz12
Cal sucks as a coach - Great recruiter but horrible coach
Pitino is too old now but he could coach circles around Cal

No this is not about Jimbo Fisher it is about a universities willingness to pony up to preserve the program from a mistake.

He couldn't coach circles around him while at UofL........
Look, Cal sucks right now, but when Pitino was a UofL, Cal was kicking but and taking names.

Kicking Butt? He won ONE tittle with more talent than anyone has ever seen in college basketball.
His 1st five teams were filled with NBA Allstars
WWW was feeding Cal and he still struggled to win it all
If he could coach basic Fundamentals (Free Throws) and X and Os (getting open shots), He would have won so many more titles. He had a gimmick (One and Dones and a Dribble Drive) that were both figured out and he never moved on from it because that is all he had. Now he is living off his success of putting players in the NBA which is how he measures his success now because he can't win title's.

But it is too early in the season for this conversation which usually comes near the end of season after the hope starts to fade. I will shut and remain positive until we get into the later steps of the Cal life cycle.

Kicking Butt? He won ONE tittle with more talent than anyone has ever seen in college basketball.
His 1st five teams were filled with NBA Allstars
WWW was feeding Cal and he still struggled to win it all
If he could coach basic Fundamentals (Free Throws) and X and Os (getting open shots), He would have won so many more titles. He had a gimmick (One and Dones and a Dribble Drive) that were both figured out and he never moved on from it because that is all he had. Now he is living off his success of putting players in the NBA which is how he measures his success now because he can't win title's.

But it is too early in the season for this conversation which usually comes near the end of season after the hope starts to fade. I will shut and remain positive until we get into the later steps of the Cal life cycle.
Yes, he was. He was the winningest coach in basketball for a few years. And as I said, he's not doing that right now which is why people are not happy.

But lemme guess, KP won those games.....right? There's no doubt Cal is not the same and either needs to turn it around or go. But to act like he didn't absolutely pwn Pitino H2H is denying facts.

Pitino does own a higher winning percentage at UK, but he can Cal share the same amount of titles. As far as developing talent, Cal gets a slight edge, but not much.

Reactions: Lazlo7
This board hypes Pitino up too much. He could’ve been one of the greats had he stayed at UK, but he didn’t and has taken constant swipes at the program and fans. He’s like the gf who got away for many on here.

Fisher out of a job means this guy's out of another job. :)

PETRINO_jumbo.0.jpg

Pitino is not better and did not do more for UK than Cal.

Pitino’s whole career is based on hypotheticals. His resume lacks proof he’s better than Cal.
If you know what you're looking at when you watch a basketball game, it's easy to see Pitino is heads and shoulders above Cal when it comes to Xs and Os. Hell Pitino might be the best pure basketball coach of our generation.

• Haha
Reactions: GoCats-GoHerd88
Maybe one of the best statements I've seen in a while. Never thought of it this way and it's a damn good point. Pitino with elite talent? WHat a great coach! Cal with elite talent? Well it was all those NBA players.
I do think it's funny when people use that argument. Like yeah, no shit coaches win more when they have elite talent. I'm sure Phil Jackson would tell you having Jordan and Kobe certainly made it easier to win titles. Belichick looked a lot better with the best player to ever play football. Joe Torre was a genius when his lineup was staked with HOFers. Bill Walsh had Montana. Popovich had a steady stream of HOFers.

What do great coaches who win titles all have in common? They all coached elite talent. You know what being a great coach without elite talent gets you? Close but no cigar. Just ask Brad Stevens and his Celtics teams.

You can’t fire cal yet, Kentucky just can’t do that. For the people who want him fired name the clear cut replacement that is attainable because the two names that are always said are not attainable right now. I’m not CALs biggest fan either and think some of his beliefs with basketball will never change but uk cannot fire him for multiple reasons
Much of this is true. However, as an analysis it’s lacking the nuance that Cal clearly simply never will step down for any reason other than just getting too old to limp into work and collect $9 mil/a year with zero accountability. He’s no spring chicken but he’s decades away from actually being that old.

With those dynamics, it’s harder to argue against finding someone else much, much cheaper, with no significant buyout, who has some advantages without being perfect. It’s really, really, really not hard to reproduce everything Cal’s done since 2015. And the very worst we could do realistically would be maybe a bit worse than those years’ results all tallied, but do that badly for considerably less money and then do the Next Man Up thing.

It’s HIGHLY unlikely that if we kept doing the Next Man Up thing, say, every two years if our luck-of-the-draw results were bad enough to warrant it that often, that we wouldn’t find someone who could appreciably exceed Cal’s post-2015 results within just a few tries. That bar is set very low and there are many, many guys out there now who have done more with less.

Sure Stevens, Donovan, and other superprime targets are not on the table now (*probably*). But right now and for a long time we’ve been bleeding money, tradition, and brand. At some point that really does need to be recognized as bad policy.

FWIW I’m not for firing Cal now. The man’s clearly been trying to change, most evident in the new OC and the way he’s been using Reed. It will come down to two questions:

1 - CAN he still change enough or has modern CBB really finally passed him by at the highest levels

2 - WILL he really master his ego when push comes to shove or will it just amount to changes we’ve often hoped for and expected from him that somehow never materialize….in essence just the Nth generation of Tubby saying we are going to run this year.

I think it takes two years to evaluate both those questions and we’d be stupid to think we’re replacing him midyear (at least not with the result of going anywhere in the tourney this year if we replaced him midyear) so we’re giving him one of those years—might as well give him both.

I just don’t think there’s any good reason to view this last-chance evaluation like we’re doing it because we don’t have any alternatives. We have plenty of alternatives.

Last edited:
Remotely close? I guarantee you weren’t around then

Pitino grew the fan base…it’s decreases during Cow’s time

Pitinos Uk winning % - 815
Cow - 775

Stay off the crack

Same guy tried to shrink the fanbase by going to UofL and flipped off the crowd at Rupp Arena. I imagine that some hate Calipari so badly that they use Pitino to fuel the fire as I can't imagine any UK fan with a backbone carrying that chump's water.

Regardless, he couldn't beat a bunch of UK Freshman coached by the guy some are saying he's better than so their argument is frail and hollow.........and easily disproven.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCats-GoHerd88
Same guy tried to shrink the fanbase by going to UofL and flipped off the crowd at Rupp Arena. I imagine that some hate Calipari so badly that they use Pitino to fuel the fire as I can't imagine any UK fan with a backbone carrying that chump's water.

Regardless, he couldn't beat a bunch of UK Freshman coached by the guy some are saying he's better than so their argument is frail and hollow.........and easily disproven.

There’s a bunch of ifs and buts when the Pitino fanboys try to prove him to be even our 3rd best coach.

I’d take Tubby over him as well as Rupp and Cal, personally.

If you know what you're looking at when you watch a basketball game, it's easy to see Pitino is heads and shoulders above Cal when it comes to Xs and Os. Hell Pitino might be the best pure basketball coach of our generation.

You clearly DO NOT know what you’re looking at!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don’t like Cow…I don’t like Pitino…I don’t anyone involved in sports. I’m completely unbiased, but this isn’t about Pitino at uofl. It’s him at Kentucky. Louisville has nothing to do with his time at kentucky

I don’t like Cow…I don’t like Pitino…I don’t anyone involved in sports. I’m completely unbiased, but this isn’t about Pitino at uofl. It’s him at Kentucky. Louisville has nothing to do with his time at kentucky

You're not biased.... as you call him "Cow"? Now that's funny. I was right. Many prance Pitino out because they hate Calipari with every bone in their body. Oh well, they have the right to do whatever they want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT