EARNED NOT GIVEN
Stoops' record off a bye week is 5-5. Here's the breakdown:

2022: 44-6 road loss to Tennessee
2021: 31-7 road loss to Miss State
2020: 38-35 home win to Vandy
2019: 24-20 home win to Arkansas
2018: 14-7 home win to Vandy
2017: 45-7 road loss to Miss State
2016: 40-38 home win to Miss State (saved Stoops career probably)
2015: 30-27 home loss to Auburn
2014: 17-7 home win to Vandy
2013:24-7 home loss to Florida

- Stoops last two games after a bye week resulted in ugly road losses to UT and Miss. State. The team was unprepared for both of these games and were beaten badly.
- Of Stoops 5 wins coming off a bye week three have been at home against Vanderbilt. :rolleyes:

The stigma also comes from some of those wins being bad performance wins. And I’ll never forget that auburn game we started off with a great early record thing and coming off the bye it was considered a ‘set up for a win’ type game and we had the inexplicable self inflicted stuff. That was a 7-6 auburn team with only 2 sec wins and one was on the road at uk

But on all of those games except maybe 2 we just played lack luster coming out of the bye. Heck 2020 Vandy we should have won by 50, 2019 Arkansas we should have beat them by 14 or more points. It is like we come off the bye with a collective (coaches and players hangover) like they partied for 13 days hard. I am not sure I will even watch the UT game. I will just have to wait and get a feel for it that week.

p.s. I wouldn't be surprised if Stoops eventually quit doing his radio gig after games, as the "sheen" seems to be wearing off....

Reactions: UKat1
I dread it. We have two weeks to come up with the perfect game plan. UT has to play AL next Saturday. You would think the timing of the game for us would make a difference.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
So in stoops’ tenure here we have played on the road 3 times following the bye week and lost each game by a combined score of 120-20. Super encouraging!!!!!!

Reactions: UKat1
We're coming off a bye and playing Tennessee. Not sure what way we'll find to screw this one up but I won't hold my breath

Milton is probably legitimately retarded and he will look like Peyton Manning against Stoopsy’s defense. Our guys will be dancing, jumping around, talking smack after tackling a guy 17 yards downfield while Tennessee is already lining up for the next play.
Milton hates getting hit. Watch him play and see what I mean. And when does take a hit he seems to take exception, starring down the defender. As a matter of fact, one of our game plan objectives should be to get to and put a hurt on the QB because this guy's play can be effected if he is a target.

Milton hates getting hit. Watch him play and see what I mean. And when does take a hit he seems to take exception, starring down the defender. As a matter of fact, one of our game plan objectives should be to get to and put a hurt on the QB because this guy's play can be effected if he is a target.
Early in the game on 3rd & 8, A&M jumped offsides and he had a free play. Could’ve easily used it to throw deep but instead ran short of the sticks OOB when with a tad effort could’ve easily gotten the first down. Pulled a Terry Wilson. 3rd & 3 they got stuffed, had to punt. I agree…He’s a puss.

So in stoops’ tenure here we have played on the road 3 times following the bye week and lost each game by a combined score of 120-20. Super encouraging!!!!!!
But we have won the majority at home, including two of the biggest inflection games of his career. State in ‘16 and Arkansas in ‘19, when the Lynn Bowden experiment proved it worked.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
But we have won the majority at home, including two of the biggest inflection games of his career. State in ‘16 and Arkansas in ‘19, when the Lynn Bowden experiment proved it worked.
3 of the 5 wins came against Vandy and all one score games. In fact none of our 5 wins (all at home) have been more than 7 points and those were against Vandy. Road games following a bye we have been absolutely destroyed. Our next game following this bye week is a road game which I do believe was the point of this thread.

We're coming off a bye and playing Tennessee. Not sure what way we'll find to screw this one up but I won't hold my breath

I feel the same. This season needs a jump start in the worst possible way. Any loss to Tennessee just means that Georgia beat us three times this year. Personally, I don't think Stoops has it in him.

Probably sleeps on a big ole Breaking Bad style giant stack of money in his living room every night.

5-5 is pretty good given the opponent is a SEC team & we have been a below average SEC team.

Honestly surprised it was 5-5, thought it was worse, but with 3 of the wins being Vandy, that doesn't give me much confidence. Also, that 2019 Arky team we beat with Bowden at QB was really, really bad. Like, 2-10 bad. So, 4 of 5 wins against completely hapless teams. Yay, Stupes.

Our next game following this bye week is a road game
Frankly, if you do not know that our next game is at home against UT, I have to question (1) just how much of a fan you are, and (2) whether you are a fan at all.

No, you don’t have to be a season ticket holder or even an occassional attendee to be a “fan” but to discuss these issues passionately when you know neither the next opponent nor location seems odd.

Reactions: phunterd
Frankly, if you do not know that our next game is at home against UT, I have to question (1) just how much of a fan you are, and (2) whether you are a fan at all.

No, you don’t have to be a season ticket holder or even an occassional attendee to be a “fan” but to discuss these issues passionately when you know neither the next opponent nor location seems odd.
If you read the thread I admitted my mistake when someone brought this to my attention. Contrary to popular opinion you can still be a fan without knowing the schedule by heart at every point in the season. If you must know I am chilling at my florida property for 5 weeks as I do every fall and pretty much in IDGAF mode. I will be watching the UK- TN game (hopefully) on the big screen at the Marina grill as I did the UK-GA game and just hope for better results.

Reactions: The-Hack
Georgetown College could come out in a Tennessee uniform and Stoops would figure out a way to lose.
Heck they could come out in their own uniforms and give us a game. How many times under stoops have we just stomped an inferior opponent out of the gate? Most keep it a game at least the first half and some (like EKU this year) into the 4th quarter. It’s quite maddening actually.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
After we got up 14-0 I got irritated at getting away with what we was doing and just playing sound football. Instead of sticking with what we were doing, it was like the coaches was saying 'let's have some fun.' I know the fake punt was a turnaround, but getting away with what we were doing felt like when it really began the downfall. It was like they could not stand the early success. Had to go wild and get away with what they was doing.

After we got up 14-0 I got irritated at getting away with what we was doing and just playing sound football. Instead of sticking with what we were doing, it was like the coaches was saying 'let's have some fun.' I know the fake punt was a turnaround, but getting away with what we were doing felt like when it really began the downfall. It was like they could not stand the early success. Had to go wild and get away with what they was doing.
The first down bomb when we had the ball up 14-0 seemed like it just changed what we were doing all of a sudden. Think we all
Like the aggressiveness there but not sure that was the time and place to call for it. Davis was running at will, make them stop it before veering from it. Perhaps they thought Mizzou would be loading up to stop him and just took a shot, either way weird how one play just took us out of our rhythm.

So he's 5-5 against an all SEC schedule at UK in those 10 games? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. What were we the 10 years before Stoops?

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
So he's 5-5 against an all SEC schedule at UK in those 10 games? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. What were we the 10 years before Stoops?
Anyone who has watched KY football knows the point of the post. Under stoops our first game following a bye we have played extremely poor. Even with a 5-5 record 4 of our 5 wins have been against hapless SEC teams including 3 against Vandy and even some of the losses which were mostly non competitive weren’t exactly against juggernauts. Further context illustrated below.

2013 - Lost 24-7 (Florida). Florida finished the year 4-8 and 3-5.
2014 - Won 17-7 (Vandy). Vandy finished 3-9 and 0-8
2015 - lost 30-27 (Auburn). Auburn finished 7-6 and 2-6
2016 - won 40-38 (MSST). State finished 6-7 and 3-5
2017 - lost 45-7 (MSST). State finished 9-4 and 4-4
2018 - Won 14-7 (Vandy) Vandy finished 6-7 and 3-5
2019 - Won 24-20 (Arky). Arky finished 2-10 and 0-8
2020 - won 38-35 (Vandy). Vandy finished 0-9 and 0-9
2021 - lost 31-7 (MSST). State finished 7-6 and 4-4
2022 lost 44-6 (Tenn). Tenn finished 11-2 and 6-2

So our 5 wins came against teams that combined to win a total of 6 conference games during those 5 seasons including 3 wins against winless teams in the conference. Not exactly bragging material. And only one of the losses (mostly lopsided) came against a team with a winning conference record (Tenn last year).

Anyone who has watched KY football knows the point of the post. Under stoops our first game following a bye we have played extremely poor. Even with a 5-5 record 4 of our 5 wins have been against hapless SEC teams including 3 against Vandy and even some of the losses which were mostly non competitive weren’t exactly against juggernauts. Further context illustrated below.

2013 - Lost 24-7 (Florida). Florida finished the year 4-8 and 3-5.
2014 - Won 17-7 (Vandy). Vandy finished 3-9 and 0-8
2015 - lost 30-27 (Auburn). Auburn finished 7-6 and 2-6
2016 - won 40-38 (MSST). State finished 6-7 and 3-5
2017 - lost 45-7 (MSST). State finished 9-4 and 4-4
2018 - Won 14-7 (Vandy) Vandy finished 6-7 and 3-5
2019 - Won 24-20 (Arky). Arky finished 2-10 and 0-8
2020 - won 38-35 (Vandy). Vandy finished 0-9 and 0-9
2021 - lost 31-7 (MSST). State finished 7-6 and 4-4
2022 lost 44-6 (Tenn). Tenn finished 11-2 and 6-2

So our 5 wins came against teams that combined to win a total of 6 conference games during those 5 seasons including 3 wins against winless teams in the conference. Not exactly bragging material. And only one of the losses (mostly lopsided) came against a team with a winning conference record (Tenn last year).
Pretty telling stat...

Bottom-line is that we're just not very good in the SEC.... Thank goodness for the MAC and UL to pad our win totals.

It's context for what to expect when Tennessee comes to town Oct 28th.

This team will need a Florida level performance to win this game...otherwise the typical "Stoops Slide" where one loss turns into three losses mid-season will continue.

After Tennessee, UK/Stoops goes to Mississippi State. Here's Kentucky's results in Starkville under Stoops:
2021 - Lost 31-17
2019 - Lost 28-13
2017 - Lost 45-7
2015 - Lost 42-16
2013 - Lost 28-22

Stoops is 0-5 in Starkville and typically gets crushed by an average score of 35-15.

We come back to Alabama at home. :oops:

Then we close the season with road games at South Carolina and Louisville. We are in very real trouble.

I am surprised. I really thought his record the game after bye week was much worse.
It’s because of who we played not how well we played. Every game following a bye week I have found myself during the game asking what the hell have they been working on during the last 2 weeks.

Reactions: billoliver40
It’s because of who we played not how well we played. Every game following a bye week I have found myself during the game asking what the hell have they been working on during the last 2 weeks.
I hear you cats2010.

Will be shocked if we don't get smoked. Not sure what they do with the extra time but they fk it up constantly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT