ADVERTISEMENT

SEC results this weekend

backinky2018

Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
UK had a great weekend. Results elsewhere were mixed, In the context of A). UK's positioning in the SEC east race and B ) UK's place in the pecking order for hosting a regional (and potentially a super).

Arky is the clear top dog in the league. They swept LSU. I think this is good for UK b/c LSU is now 2-7 in the league with Vandy and UT coming up the next two weekends. This will be a tough hole for the Tigers to escape.

Florida is damned lucky. They scored three in the bottom of the ninth to win on Friday and scored two in the bottom of the ninth to win today. UK is up on them by two games, but it should be 3-5 based on their luck from the first three weeks.

UT is jeckyl and hide. They got killed by Georgia on Friday and then came back to win the next two. UK is up by 3 games on them.

South Carolina looks to be great at home and dicey on the road. UK is 3 up on them.

Vandy Swept aubie and Mizzou at home. Swept at USC. Having them at home might make a big difference. Big series at LSU this weekend.

At this point, I'd say UK is right there with Arky and A&M for the top seeds out of the SEC. Vandy, Florida, UT right behind us. South Carolina and Alabama also in contention for hosting at this juncture. The next two weekends will go a long way in separating the wheat from the chaff.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I think we will have issues with UF, UT, and Ark. the remainder of the series are winnable if we execute like we did this weekend. But, every series in the SEC is a crap shoot…you have no idea how it will end.

Just want to point out that divisions don't really matter in baseball. You either win the whole conference or you don't.

If we want to host we need to get to about 16 league wins. Halfway there with 7 weekends to play. Pretty much don't get swept and we're in the conversation.

Just want to point out that divisions don't really matter in baseball. You either win the whole conference or you don't.

If we want to host we need to get to about 16 league wins. Halfway there with 7 weekends to play. Pretty much don't get swept and we're in the conversation.
Once Texas and Oklahoma join the conference, are they getting rid of divisions in all sports, or is that just football?

You're right, they don't matter in terms of "representation" in Hoover or anything like that, but the conference does still track division play in baseball. So, in that sense, I think winning the east would be a great accomplishment for UK baseball.

I think we will have issues with UF, UT, and Ark. the remainder of the series are winnable if we execute like we did this weekend. But, every series in the SEC is a crap shoot…you have no idea how it will end.
I agree with you, every series from here on out will be tough (including Auburn, who is 1-8 in SEC play - they beat Arky once and have played A&M and Vandy tough). But, the good news is that I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be competitive in every series remaining. Homefiled advantage is big in this conference, so I think we should expect to win the series against Bama, UT, and Vandy. Arky will be very tough too, but we can win it. Florida in Gainesville will be really tough, but they're scuffling a bit so far and our pitching is better than the pitching that collapsed for MSU this weekend (MSU could have easily swept them in Gainesville if their bullpen had not fallen apart).

Reactions: dtjr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT