ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

There is a recent report that UK's coaches have now issued an offer to 2024 LB Chase Couch out of LCA. Couch, the son of the former #1 overall NFL draft pick and legendary UK QB, is a 6'4" 220# edge athlete. He currently plays in the same hs program as 2025 QB prospect Cutter Boley. Coach Marrow is Couch's recruiter.
Are we sure this is a scholly offer and not a PWO offer? Seems strange cause this kid has barely played.

I don't know about that. Hated him talking up TN. Anybody but them. Will be interesting how he looks next to Montgomery.
TN tries to recruit SEC worthy hs players in KY, just as UK recruits SEC worthy hs players in TN and OH. The relationship between Boley and Coen should prove to be the key. UK does not have a lock on hs players from Lexington, but UK does have a large advantage in Fayette Co. If Coen and Marrow press for a Lexington hs player, I have to like our chances. But weighing in the other direction, of course, is the fact that UK hasn't developed a hs-recruited QB in the Stoops era. Stoops would like Destin Wade (recruited out of TN!) to erase that issue, and he might get his wish. We will see. DWade hasn't learned yet to read college secondaries, but he has a tremendous arm.

A lot has changed in recent years. IMO, Coen's return is a game changer. The quality of UK's WR room has skyrocketed. Indirectly, the amount of quality depth on UK's defensive roster has eliminated the importance of going slow on offense. In fact, UK went uptempo at times when Levis was playing. The remaining uncertainty relates to fixing UK's OL. Marques Cox and Tanner Bowles represent a good start. I am also enthusiastic about Nik Hall, Grant Bingham, Austin Ramsey, Koby Keenum, and Haynes Johnson. Malachi Wood is low floor, high ceiling.

I haven't started a thread on our 2025 class yet, because I don't believe we are anywhere close to receiving a commitment from a 2025 prospect. There will be a 2025 thread, and I am sure we will have extensive discussions about Boley and many other interesting 2025 players. Something to look forward to.

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
Sorry for not knowing but can you fill me in on Monygomery and if Coen will be here for these visits ?
Ryan Montgomery is a 6'2" 200# QB from Findlay, OH, in the 2025 class. He does not hold a UK offer yet, but he is known to have an active dialog with Ryan Day. Communications between Montgomery and UK are in preliminary stages, although there is no doubt Montgomery is an interesting prospect. But Stoops will clearly want to prioroitize Boley as long as Boley upholds his end of the dialog by showing strong reciprocal interest. I am not suggesting UK's coaches can only recruit one QB at a time, but it will be important for Boley to see he is the guy they want. If UK's coaches decide to target Montgomery, there will be plenty of time for Coen and Montgomery to discuss this. But beating OH St and GA for Montgomery will be difficult unless those programs back off Montgomery.

Reactions: Uncle Adolph
As a Bryan Station hs player in Lexington, Haskins has undoubtedly been seen by UK's coaches. Reportedly, he does not hold a UK scholarship offer. Haskins does not hold any SEC offers, and his only Power 5 offer is reportedly from UL. That came before Brohm's hiring, so it probably isn't committable now. At 6'0" 150#, Haskins is a string bean who will require an extensive period of development wherever he plays.
His dad and uncle were the same. One thing I can tell you. If he has the attitude and heart of his dad and uncle, he'll get much farther than a lot of players with more physical gifts. I can remember JT and his group letting my son join them in an unheated weight room with rusty weights and torn up benches, lifting and working out crazy amounts when the Bryan Station team was used to losing and I think they had been 3-7 the year before. Their work ethic (along with several other athletes Eric Shelton being one of them) would never give away that the team they were going to play for hadn't won and really didn't have that much promise. Problem was they couldn't get enough other athletes to commit to working that hard. They typically had around 10 good players and maybe 30 others on the team including freshmen. If you could take the heart and work ethic of a JT Haskins and put it in a Goodwin, you'd have an all American.

I remember coming early to pick my son up from practice and Nochta had the whole team running 50 yard sprints continuously for punishment for something some on the team had done. That group of athletes including Haskins were running their sprints like it was an Olympic final, trying to nose each other out each time. I couldn't tell you how many sprints they ran but it was a lot. They never let up. There were a lot of kids so gassed they were nearly walking but not the team leaders. Really impressed me. I'm not too sure they hadn't done that for the entire practice because it was something that happened at a previous game. I'll have to ask my son some time. He was an O lineman and it was all I could do to get him in the car, spent the whole night cramping up so I didn't ask then.

Reactions: satcheluk
Ryan Montgomery is a 6'2" 200# QB from Findlay, OH, in the 2025 class. He does not hold a UK offer yet, but he is known to have an active dialog with Ryan Day. Communications between Montgomery and UK are in preliminary stages, although there is no doubt Montgomery is an interesting prospect. But Stoops will clearly want to prioroitize Boley as long as Boley upholds his end of the dialog by showing strong reciprocal interest. I am not suggesting UK's coaches can only recruit one QB at a time, but it will be important for Boley to see he is the guy they want. If UK's coaches decide to target Montgomery, there will be plenty of time for Coen and Montgomery to discuss this. But beating OH St and GA for Montgomery will be difficult unless those programs back off Montgomery.
A little extra on Montgomery. He has already visited UK. Ryan and his family have a great relationship with Coen. JR said Coen was recruiting him before he left. JR also said Ryan and his family would be visiting one weekend this month a while back. He says they really like Coen. Most will come down to if OSU prioritizes him and his path to getting on the field. His brother is an OL that will be a freshman this year at OSU. A lot will change in 2 years. So time will tell

Are we sure this is a scholly offer and not a PWO offer? Seems strange cause this kid has barely played.
Chase Couch has attended at least one camp at UK and our coaches have worked him out. They know him well. This is a case of a son of a former UK superstar who has impressive athletic tools. Obviously his blood lines are the best. He is 6'4" and has gone from 210# to over 240# in two years by working out, so he understands the necessary work ethic. Based on what I have read, he is athletic and smart. So it isn't like Stoops gave a scholarship away here just because of who his father is. He is a real prospect.

There’s another QB out of Nashville rated above Boley I believe he’s 6’5” and is really good someone better have a great NIL deal for Boley

The 2024 class when they enroll are looking at an SEC with Texas and Oklahoma and 9 conf game sched a yr....Mark Stoops is not going to waste a roster spot on a feel good offer to a famous alum's kid

Reactions: catben
There’s another QB out of Nashville rated above Boley I believe he’s 6’5” and is really good someone better have a great NIL deal for Boley

Mark,
I tried a search and came up with nothing. Got a name?
Thanks

Circling back to the topic of 2024 recruiting.

Reportedly, the following 2024 prospects recently received new UK scholarship offers-

Koy Beasley, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Jay'Quan Bostic, DB, Cincinnati, OH
Caleb Brewer, OL, Reading, PA
Jayden Coleman, DB, Phenix City, AL
Chase Couch, LB, Lexington, KY
Nyier Daniels, OL, Oradell, NJ
Kevon Gray, DB, Atlanta, GA
Tionne Gray, DL, St. Louis, MO
Jack Hines, OL, Avon, CT
Ryan Jostes, OL, Washington, MO
Melvin Laster, LB, Liberty, MO
Kevin Levy, WR. W. Palm Beach, FL
Jeremiah Marcelin, LB, Miami, FL
Juan Minaya, OL, Paramus, NJ
Cole Mullins, LB, Hoschton, GA
James Nesta, LB, Cornelius, NC
Luke Reynolds, TE, Westford, MA
Jameson Riggs, OL, Hiram, GA
Tommy Ricard, OL, Hudson, OH
Benedict Umeh, DL, Toronto, ON
Ashton Woods, LB, Marietta, GA

Last edited:
DJ Lagway, QB, Willis, TX. 2024 prospect.

Lagway verbally committed to FL on Dec. 7; now has a new offer from UK. Being personally recruited by Liam Coen.

Plays football, baseball, and basketball. Reportedly wants to play football and baseball at the next level, which had something to do with his FL commitment.

As a junior at Willis hs, completed 67% of his passes and rushed 50 times for 10 ypc. Known for large hands, strong throwing arm, and ability to cut back and avoid defenders. His father was a RB at Baylor. He projects as a multiple season college starter. Already holds 9 SEC offers.

Stoops has now offered 8 QBs in the 2024 class. It would be interesting to know how many of these eight are specifically Coen targets, but at least we know Lagway is and Danny O'Neil probably isn't.

Public commitment to UK from Taylor Co. hs offensive lineman Hayes Johnson appears to be imminent now, and will become the first commitment in UK's 2024 class.

Last edited:
As many of us have expected for some time, Taylor Co. hs OL Hayes Johnson has now become the first public commitment to UK's 2024 recruiting class. At 6'3" 295#, Johnson is being recruited by Coach Marrow as a future SEC OG. Johnson holds at least 2 SEC offers, 2 B12 offers, plus other offers from MI St and Cincinnati. He is generally considered the top college football prospect in our instate 2024 class.

Last edited:
As many of us have expected for some time, Taylor Co. hs OL Haynes Johnson has now become the first public commitment to UK's 2024 recruiting class. At 6'5" 295#, Johnson is being recruited by Coach Marrow as a future SEC OG. Johnson holds at least 2 SEC offers, 2 B12 offers, plus other offers from MI St and Cincinnati. He is generally considered the top college football prospect in our instate 2024 class.

-impossible...he had a ut offer after all.

Braden Graham is a good QB from Murfreesboro that we are recruiting. About 6-1 185 is a high 3 star. It is good to see how hard we are going for top QB's in this class. Wouldn't be surprised if we get one early this time with the priority the staff is putting into that position.

Reactions: Girthang
Braden Graham is a good QB from Murfreesboro that we are recruiting. About 6-1 185 is a high 3 star. It is good to see how hard we are going for top QB's in this class. Wouldn't be surprised if we get one early this time with the priority the staff is putting into that position.
RB/DB Brady Hensley from Richmond also looks interesting. Good size, outstanding straight line speed. First team all state player. I don't see him mentioned on any lists of top 2024 prospects in our state, though. Trying to figure that out.

Coach Stoops has already offered 8 QB prospects in the 2024 class. Evidently Ryan Montgomery will soon become the 9th. Coach Coen's return will have a major impact on QB recruiting.

Need to correct this mistake regarding population ..... Kentucky has a larger population than Mississippi and Arkansas. Also, Kentucky has a larger population than Oklahoma, which will join the SEC within a year.

2022 population of states (x 1 million) within SEC footprint:
29..9 - Texas
22.1 - Florida
10.9 - Georgia
7.0 - Tennessee
6.2 - Missouri
5.2 - South Carolina
5.1 - Alabama
4.7 - Louisiana
4.5 - Kentucky
4.0 - Oklahoma
3.0 - Arkansas
3.0 - Mississippi
His point was football playing population and without trying to make this racial, KY is only 8% black. Mississippi is 36% black. An in the SEC more than 70% of starters during the 2021 FBS Bowl Season were black, and in the past three recruiting classes, 84% of signees in the SEC were black according to Sportico. They don't like to say it so bluntly, but those are the facts and KY's demographics don't match up

Last edited:
Are the in-state guys just lacking early evaluations or is this just a really down year for KY talent?
Too early to know the answer. There are some instate prospects in the 2024 class who will play Power 5 football. Hayes Johnson, obviously. It has become obvious in recent years that the best football players in KY are consistently coming out of Bowling Green, the Lexington area, the greater Cincinnati area, and North Hardin hs. Those areas take hs football seriously. The improvement in hs football in the Lexington area goes back to the improvement in UK's football program, because Mark Stoops and Vince Marrow have changed the way people around Lexington think about the game of football.

While an occasional significant player comes out of Jefferson County, it is remarkable to see how few Jefferson County hs players are moving on to become significant college football players. With the falloff of production of significant players at Male hs, St X, and Trinity, you just don't see very many important college football players coming out of Louisville anymore. Perhaps emphasis on other sports has something to do with it, but this is also a statement about the state of the hs system and the community in general. We may not like to say it, but results speak for themselves. Unfortunate.

If Shaun Boykins, Darius Wiley, Demeco Kennedy, and Aba Selm pan out, maybe 2024 will be an okay instate class. But the early guess here would be that 2024 is a so so class at best.

Reactions: Crystalglass
The work ethic at some of these high schools is semi college level. But the community and players have to buy in. Talking about fundraising for scholarships, year round dedicated serious workouts and top notch coaching that is all in year around. Communities and programs that don't put that effort and work in creates a huge gap between the two. More are doing it is why Kentucky high school football has risen. Reason you see more players going to the better programs from where they are born.

Well, sometimes the very youngest are offered on measureables and meeting certain criterion early.

Young was offered as a frosh in a Lexington High School, and was already massive, and headed toward O-tackle size.

They don't like to say it so bluntly, but those are the facts and KY's demographics don't match up
True.

Fortunately, players are moving farther, or were, pre-Covid.

I compared the Top 250 from 2002, through 2005, against the Top 250 from 2016 through 2019, and few years, back.

The earlier era, about 65% of the Top 250 stayed in-state.

In the more recent period, about 65% crossed one or more state lines to play college football.

I have not studied the Rivals Top 250 since Covid, 2020, ‘21, ‘22, and ‘23. That is a handy 4 year time period, so I might spend an hour on that this Winter. I suspect more stayed close to home during the pandemic, but I do not know for sure.

Hayes Johnson is a good start for our 2024 class. My guess would be that the next player to commit to this class is probably in Lexington now to attend the UK-KS basketball game as a participant in the big football recruiting weekend. This is certainly no guarantee. But the likelihood is that the next commitment already likes UK and is relatively far along in his visit and decision process. Plus, the prospects attending today's UK-KS game are on our coaches' priority list. Most prospects fitting that general description right now are probably in Lexington today. FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: maroon79
His point was football playing population and without trying to make this racial, KY is only 8% black. Mississippi is 36% black. An in the SEC more than 70% of starters during the 2021 FBS Bowl Season were black, and in the past three recruiting classes, 84% of signees in the SEC were black according to Sportico. They don't like to say it so bluntly, but those are the facts and KY's demographics don't match up
Cudos to you for frank talk in this day and age .

RM grew up a huge OH ST fan.

Kid is what, 16? Ohio has been a top 3 ot top 4 program starting with Urban since 2012, when he was 5. What Ohio kid under 18 who knows nothing but the nuts dominating all their life not a fan?
Ohio State was a top program long before Urban Meyer

most top kids in Ohio want to play for Ohio State

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Circling back now to the topic of 2024 recruiting, the subject of this thread, let's revisit Aba Selm.

Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY

Selm attends Simon Kenton hs where he has played LT. His film shows him to be a strong, aggressive player with active feet who finishes his blocks. He unofficially visited Lexington last weekend and took in the UK-KS basketball game. With Hayes Johnson already on board, Selm along with North Hardin hs product Shaun Boykins are possible candidates to become our next 2024 commitment.

Selm received a UK scholarship offer from Coach Marrow on Sept. 14, 2022. His size is reportedly 6'4" 295#. If Selm's recent public comments are accurate, Coach Marrow has apparently been telling him that he is on UK's priority recruiting list for 2024. This is believable. Selm is one of the highest ranked hs football players in KY and has already reportedly received 3 B10 and 2 SEC offers. So far, it looks like PA St and UL are UK's primary competition. Selm projects as a college OG.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT