ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

He might just make it at tackle. Tackles need size, and length . . . longer legs set a wider base for speed rushers to get around. They also need balance. Generally speaking, kids with big feet have good balance: think Johnny Menziel jumping
over a Bama d-lineman and then jumping
back over him the opposite direction and not losing balance. . . . Johnny Football wore a size 16 at 6’ 2”.

He also may not be finished growing.

In any event, the kid looks really light on his feet for that size. Reminds me of Nic Hall’s tapes in that way.

Jay Harper, a CB prospect from Valley, AL, was here recently for the junior day weekend and is returning for a second visit. That shows a high level of interest. Harper already holds at least 4 SEC offers. Is he about to join our 2024 class? Sounds like a possibility.

Another possibility might be North Hardin hs WR Shaun Boykins, who has made several visits to campus recently. At 6'1" 190#, Boykins is big enough to play on the outside and strong enough to learn to be an effective blocker. Boykins has run a verified 4.45 second 40 yard dash and 10.86 in the 100 meter, and reportedly shows good athleticism to go with the speed. He is a product of a pipeline hs program that puts players on UK's roster almost every year, and is likely an early take.

There are reports circulating that say Stoops and Marrow are likely to sign 5-6 instate prospects in UK's 2024 class. These reports might be referring to Johnson, Selm, and Boykins, plus some combination of 2-3 more out of Wiley, Hensley, Chadwell, Madison, Kennedy, or Lowe.

Last edited:
He might just make it at tackle. Tackles need size, and length . . . longer legs set a wider base for speed rushers to get around. They also need balance. Generally speaking, kids with big feet have good balance: think Johnny Menziel jumping
over a prone Bama d-lineman and then jumping back over him the opposite direction and not losing balance. . . . Johnny Football wore a size 16 at 6’ 2”.
Saw selm on tic tic tox dunking basketballs Pretty impressive

In today's game, innovations in offensive football not only happen every year but even every few weeks. These days, OCs are that creative because they have to be. Otherwise they can't stay a step ahead of innovations in coverages and blitz packages. I don't know what Liam Coen has in mind this time, but I am sure he will spread the field to take advantage of Brown, Key, TRob, Anthony, McClain, and Wilcox. That means he will need offensive linemen who can pull, play in space, play with tempo, and finish blocks at the second level without holding. Our OTs will have to be able to control the edge against smaller, quicker defenders. Our OTs will require great length and lateral quickness whereas our OGs will need to be able to work with the C to cut off blitzes in the zero gap and make a big physical push straight ahead.
But that Oline sounds like we don’t need to push the Dline back off LOS but instead wall off LOS…create gaps for outside zone run scheme

The Broncos Oline back with Elway final years and Terrell Davis started that trend.

I guess guys like Flax aren’t ideal but a quicker tackle is ideal. I do r see why 6’4 wjtb top foot speed won’t work and that is what Selma appears to be. I don’t know his arm length but barring we sign some fewer tackle prospects alongside of him…I’d hope Selma is a tackle…we have guard prospects….but tackle is a real iffy spot

But that Oline sounds like we don’t need to push the Dline back off LOS but instead wall off LOS…create gaps for outside zone run scheme

The Broncos Oline back with Elway final years and Terrell Davis started that trend.

I guess guys like Flax aren’t ideal but a quicker tackle is ideal. I do r see why 6’4 wjtb top foot speed won’t work and that is what Selma appears to be. I don’t know his arm length but barring we sign some fewer tackle prospects alongside of him…I’d hope Selma is a tackle…we have guard prospects….but tackle is a real iffy spot
IDK. I still have high hopes for Nik Hall, and I expect David Wohlabaugh can be a better than average player given another year of development. Both have excellent frames and are strong on pedigree. Nik Hall's father is Antonio Hall. Wohlabaugh comes from a family of good football players. Pedigree is important because they grew up with football and they have role models. Deondre Buford has talent. An unknown is whether Malachi Wood can be successfully developed. That would help. There is some room on the roster for more depth that can be developed at OT.

My best guess is that Selm is an OG at the next level because it will be his best position. He could play RT if needed there. There is no red line between RG and RT. It is just a coaching decision, brought about by need. George Asafo Adjei was an OG who played RT because of need and did it pretty well.

The Armstrong twins from Lakewood, OH, are interested in UK and would be fantastic additions. The latest news suggests JacQuan McRoy from Pinson, AL, is looking hard at UK.

Last edited:
IDK. I still have high hopes for Nik Hall, and I expect David Wohlabaugh can be a better than average player given another year of development. Both have excellent frames and are strong on pedigree. Nik Hall's father is Antonio Hall. Wohlabaugh comes from a family of good football players. Pedigree is important because they grew up with football and they have role models. Deondre Buford has talent. An unknown is whether Malachi Wood can be successfully developed. That would help. There is some room on the roster for more depth that can be developed at OT.

My best guess is that Selm is an OG at the next level because it will be his best position. He could play RT if he is needed. There is no red line between RG and RT. It is just a coaching decision,.brought about by need. George Asafo Adjei was an OG who played some at RT because of need and did it pretty well.

The Armstrong twins from Lakewood, OH, are interested in UK and would be fantastic additions. The latest news suggests JacQuan McRoy from Pinson, AL, is looking hard at UK.

Rembrandt,
I know its early, but what's your take/opinion on the Smith twins originally from Somerset attending prep school in Conn? I see where ND got a crystal ball for them. I assume they are a package deal. Are they big UK fans?
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Rembrandt,
I know its early, but what's your take/opinion on the Smith twins originally from Somerset attending prep school in Conn? I see where ND got a crystal ball for them. I assume they are a package deal. Are they big UK fans?
Thanks in advance.
My honest take is that it is too early. It is public knowledge that they had a great time when they visited ND last July. That came straight from the twins themselves. Having grown up in Somerset, they are probably UK fans. But I can't guess whether that will determine their decision. It appears they will go through the entire process and then decide.

Early 2024 top ten recruiting rankings.

1) Georgia 10 commits

2) Notre Dame 8 commits

3) Florida St 9 commits

4) Alabama 4 commits

5) Oregon 5 commits

6) Florida 4 commits

7) LSU 8 commits

8) South Carolina 4 commits

9) MI St 3 commits

10) Clemson 5 commits

Might be hard to beat out Arkansas, but everybody thinks it’s worth a shot!

By definition, the best high school players are hardest to sign. Vince Marrow has been zoned in on a small group of high schools in Kentucky and Cincinnati. That has been working. I do not remember the last time we signed a player from Arkansas, but I see Anwar Stewart is recruiting this one. Bet he does not go to U of Arkansas. I will guess LSU, Oklahoma, or TAM for him, but hope we break through and get him.

Early 2024 top ten recruiting rankings.

1) Georgia 10 commits

2) Notre Dame 8 commits

3) Florida St 9 commits

4) Alabama 4 commits

5) Oregon 5 commits

6) Florida 4 commits

7) LSU 8 commits

8) South Carolina 4 commits

9) MI St 3 commits

10) Clemson 5 commits
ND at #2. LOL. Never stop simping rivals. LOL. I swear ND could go 5 years without making a bowl and have a top 10 class and be ranked preseason top 20.

Some new 2024 offers given out recently by our coaches-

Felix Doege, OL, Nacoochee, GA
Kai Greer, OL, Waxhaw, NC
Amir Jackson, ATH, Portal, GA
Nasir Johnson, OL, Dublin, GA
Elijah King, DL, Columbus, OH
Luke Reynolds, TE, Cheshire, CT
Andre Skelton, RB, Temecula, CA

Last edited:
Some new 2024 offers given out recently our coaches-

We had a little update on Amir Jackson, told UGA reporter UGA was recruiting him as a TE. He said he like how UGA used its TE and he could do everything Brock Bowers could do but better. Doesn't lack for confidence.

We had a little update on Amir Jackson, told UGA reporter UGA was recruiting him as a TE. He said he like how UGA used its TE and he could do everything Brock Bowers could do but better. Doesn't lack for confidence.
Grumpy, what are you hearing on Monken??

Grumpy, what are you hearing on Monken??

He interviewed with Tampa and Baltimore. A guy who.post on our board said Kirby expects him back. He is making 2+m a year and would be taking a big cut to go to NFL. He is the only one on staff that Kirby doesn't push to recruit, he seldom leaves Athens, just to visit the QB targets.

I think he stays, but that has some wishful thinking on my part, I think he is one of the top OC in the country and would be hard to replace.

Some new 2024 offers given out recently our coaches-

King's size and position reminds me of Allen.

Reactions: Girthang
He interviewed with Tampa and Baltimore. A guy who.post on our board said Kirby expects him back. He is making 2+m a year and would be taking a big cut to go to NFL. He is the only one on staff that Kirby doesn't push to recruit, he seldom leaves Athens, just to visit the QB targets.

I think he stays, but that has some wishful thinking on my part, I think he is one of the top OC in the country and would be hard to replace.
I'm selfish, I want good coaches to stay at the college level, makes for better football. Think Todd Monken's the best OC going, understand high interest comes with success. Love what Jeff Monken's doing at Army. Love the guy at Utah, love the guy at Fresno....these types are pure football coaches that are loyal to the college game.

I'm selfish, I want good coaches to stay at the college level, makes for better football. Think Todd Monken's the best OC going, understand high interest comes with success. Love what Jeff Monken's doing at Army. Love the guy at Utah, love the guy at Fresno....these types are pure football coaches that are loyal to the college game.

Monken isn't a kid, late 50's, says the thing he enjoys most is winning, but I understand the want to be at the highest lvl. He had a protégé who came with him and was an analysis his OC when he was head coach. I thought he would take over when Monken left but GT hired him as their OC.

Here is another list of prospects who recently received new 2024 UK scholarship offers. Some of these new offers were given when players attended recruiting events on UK's campus last month.

Cai Bates, ATH, Orlando, FL
JayQuan Bostic, WR, Cincinnati, OH
Caleb Brewer, OL, Reading, PA
Jayden Coleman, DB, Phenix City, AL
Jason Cross, DB, Pittsburgh, PA
Nyler Daniels, OL, Oradell, NJ
David Eziomume, ATH, Kennesaw, GA
Jack Hines, OL, Avon, CT
Montele Johnson, LB, W. Bloomfield, MI
Ryan Jostes, OL, Washington, MO
Kevin Levy, WR, W. Palm Beach, FL
Xavier Lucas, DB, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Jeremiah Marcelin, LB, Opa Locka, FL
Luke Masterson, OL, Nashville, TN
Lawayne McCoy, ATH, Miami, FL
Ransom McDermott, OL, Noblesville, IN
Juan Minaya, OL, Parabus, NJ
Cole Mullens, LB, Hoschton, GA
Elijah Newby, LB, Cheshire, CT
John Oliver, OL, Nashville, TN
Caleb Redd, LB, St. Louis, MO
Luke Reynolds, QB, Cheshire, CT
Jameson Riggs, OL, Hiram, GA
Jayshawn Ross, LB, KC, MO
Nathan Roy, OL, Mukwonago, WI
Rico Scott, WR, Harrisburg, PA
Chase Tyler, WR, Hiram, GA
Benedict Umeh, DL, Avon, CT

Nik Hall is a true LT with pedigree, length, and a high ceiling. Hall had 5 B12 and 3 SEC offers including TX A&M. Eventually Hall will start. Josh Jones, who missed 2022 with an injury, is an OT from the outstanding Central hs program in Phenix City, AL. Jones had 6 SEC offers including LSU. Malachi Wood will be developed as an OT.

Stoops will almost certainly add a couple of OTs in this 2024 class, although Johnson and Selm will be OGs. It's still early, but I will be watching Luke Masterson, Zach Bandy, Ransom McDermott, and the Armstrong twins to begin with. If OH St's staff doesn't press hard for the Armstrong twins, we probably have a good shot.
Selm is an OT

Reactions: Girthang
I believe the biggest reason the ncaa is expanding the playoffs is to get Notre Dame in it most years . They’ll just get embarrassed more though.
Without any doubt, the biggest reason the NCAA is expanding the playoffs is to create a larger and more lucrative playoff slate to bid out to TV networks. It's all about the money.

Selm is an OT
As a junior at Simon Kenton hs, Selm is an OT. Until he gets to campus and gets evaluated in a college football practice, we can speculate about his college position but that's all it is right now. Our coaches will develop him where they think he can help our team. Part of this depends on positional need. Part of it depends on how Selm adapts to UK's offensive system.

Reactions: Daniel1962
2024 is supposedly producing a bumper crop of prospects from Ohio. Should bode well for UK.
Maybe but Michigan is hitting Ohio hard. They have 2 commits and CBs 2 land 2 more top 15 guys. OSU is going to basically get the guys they want. Marshall already cut UK. The top uk targets have OSU offers. UK will get a few 3 star guys and prob a few visits but overall we will be lucky to land any of the top guys

Reactions: yoshukai
Maybe but Michigan is hitting Ohio hard. They have 2 commits and CBs 2 land 2 more top 15 guys. OSU is going to basically get the guys they want. Marshall already cut UK. The top uk targets have OSU offers. UK will get a few 3 star guys and prob a few visits but overall we will be lucky to land any of the top guys
You would think Wisconsin may be going after more Ohio kids now also .

I didn't say it'd be easy, just gotta keep after it.

A couple more new 2024 UK offers are being reported.

Tyree Alualu, LB, Pittsburgh, PA
Brandon Davis-Swain, LB/TE, W. Bloomfield, MI
Cam Dooley, LB/QB, Valley, AL
Justin Logan, LB, Marietta, GA
Antwan Smith, LB, Atlanta, GA

Looks like the LB position is one of the class priorities. Not really surprising.

You would think Wisconsin may be going after more Ohio kids now also .
I think every Power 5 school in the midwest recruits inside OH. ND, PA St, WI, Purdue, WV, MI, MI St, regularly pull players out of OH.

In our case, we can see Coach Marrow varying his allocation of recruiting time almost every year. Stoops talks the talk of instate recruiting because he has to. But the reality on the ground is that UK is taking most of our instate signings from Fredrick Douglass, North Hardin, Boyle Co., and Bowling Green. Not all, but most. It doesn't require a huge amount of Marrow's time to stay connected with staff at that group of pipeline schools. He still has plenty of recruiting time to expend up in OH. Looking carefully at the trends, I would say the Cincinnati area (including Ft. Thomas, Independence, and West Chester, and extending north from there up to Springfield) has become UK's most important recruiting ground. Along with that, UK's staff is recruiting the heck out of Nashville, Philadelphia, Cheshire (CT), and the states of GA and FL now. Adding Mike Stoops to our staff has greatly increased our recruiting footprint inside FL. It has also been interesting to me that losing Coach Sumrall has not slowed down UK's recruiting momentum in AL. In our 2023 class, we signed Avery Stuart and Koby Keenum out of AL, then got JQ Hardaway out of the portal.

Coach White is opening up the eastern seaboard for us. The next thing to watch might be how Coach Boulware impacts our recruiting footprint.

I think every Power 5 school in the midwest recruits inside OH. ND, PA St, WI, Purdue, WV, MI, MI St, regularly pull players out of OH.

In our case, we can see Coach Marrow varying his allocation of recruiting time almost every year. Stoops talks the talk of instate recruiting because he has to. But the reality on the ground is that UK is taking most of our instate signings from Fredrick Douglass, North Hardin, Boyle Co., and Bowling Green. Not all, but most. It doesn't require a huge amount of Marrow's time to stay connected with staff at that group of pipeline schools. He still has plenty of recruiting time to expend up in OH. Looking carefully at the trends, I would say the Cincinnati area (including Ft. Thomas, Independence, and West Chester, and extending north from there up to Springfield) has become UK's most important recruiting ground. Along with that, UK's staff is recruiting the heck out of Nashville, Philadelphia, Cheshire (CT), and the states of GA and FL now. Adding Mike Stoops to our staff has greatly increased our recruiting footprint inside FL. It has also been interesting to me that losing Coach Sumrall has not slowed down UK's recruiting momentum in AL. In our 2023 class, we signed Avery Stuart and Koby Keenum out of AL, then got JQ Hardaway out of the portal.

Coach White is opening up the eastern seaboard for us. The next thing to watch might be how Coach Boulware impacts our recruiting footprint.
i would love for UK to have a true in road in Louisiana but the competition i think would be too great (just counting SEC schools)

i would love for UK to have a true in road in Louisiana but the competition i think would be too great (just counting SEC schools)
The competition isn't necessarily too great. But AL has more hs football players than LA, and AL is closer to Lexington than LA. The competition in AL is very high, but that didn't keep us from signing Avery Stuart and Koby Keenum. The primary recruiting effort under Stoops has been within a 300 mile radius of Lexington because the distance is manageable for players' families. Cass Tech hs in Detroit is right on the outer limit of that 300 mile radius. When our coaches have been active outside that radius, it has usually been a special case or an effort to form a relationship with a big hs program like Cheshire Academy or St. Thomas Aquinas. We tried to recruit inside LA when Michael Smith was here. That effort netted us Joel Williams and Amani Gilmore, but both of them transferred out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT