ADVERTISEMENT

UK football and the December transfer portal

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
The current transfer portal window recently opened.

This afternoon's roster count shows 51 current Wildcats expected to return in 2024. There is wiggle room in this number since some UK players have not yet made firm decisions. I think there will be more departures through the portal than we know now. But we already know Marques Cox and Eli Cox are coming back, and we have a fairly good idea Octavious Oxendine, Deone Walker, and D'Eryk Jackson will come back too. Today we added Brock Vandagriff. Our 2024 recruiting class currently stands at 22 commitments. So 51 + 22 +1 = 74, and that means 11 scholarships are currently open. That number will increase with each new portal departure, but will decrease with each new UK commitment.

I am not an insider, but I read a lot. Here is what I see at this point in early December.

Nik Hall, Ben Christman, and LaVell Wright missed this season with injuries. Hall underwent successful back surgery and is rehabbing. At this point I expect all three players back.

Out

Grant Bingham (portal)
Dekel Crowdus (portal)
Izayah Cummings (portal, predictions for UL)
Luke Fulton (portal)
Jalen Geiger (portal)
Deuce Hogan (portal)
Jutahn McClain (portal)
Andru Phillips (NFL draft ambitions)
Shamar Porter (portal)
Kaiya Sheron (portal)
Martez Thrower (portal)
Destin Wade (portal)
Keaton Wade (portal)

In

Brock Vandagriff, QB (from GA)

Still needed from the portal-

-One more QB

-One more RB

-Three or four more WRs

-Two or three more offensive linemen

-An edge LB

-A CB

-A placekicker

This list of portal needs could increase as we learn of new departures.

UK's coaches are talking, or have recently talked, with a large number of players currently in the portal. Here are some observations-

Beau Allen, QB, GASo - developing
Chase Bisontis, OL, TX A&M - developing; held UK offer coming out of hs
Trikweze Bridges, DB, OR - developing; new name
Tyreek Chappell, DB, TX A&M - developing; held UK offer coming out of hs
Pete Correll, OL, ND - won't be coming to UK
Raymond Cottrell, WR, TX A&M - receiving CB picks for UK; could commit soon
Ashton Cozart, WR, OR - developing; new name
Jalen Farmer, OL, FL - developing; held UK offer coming out of hs
Justin Harris, DB, UC - developing; held UK offer coming out of hs
Will Howard, QB. KS St - won't be coming to UK
Ja'Mori Maclin, slotR, NTX - lots of offers; UK is only scheduled visit to date
Devon Manuel, OL, AR - developing; new name
Donaven McCulley, WR, IU - many offers; unlikely for UK as of this afternoon
Jonathon Mendoza, OL, Yale - has many offers, including UK
Chris Paul, LB, AR - developing, new name
Will Rogers, QB, MS St - won't be coming to UK
Howard Sampson, OL, NTX - is he SEC material?
Raheim Sanders, RB, AR - developing; new name
Carter Smith, OL, IU - still a possibility
Lloyd Summerall, LB, SoFL - developing; held UK offer coming out of hs
Abdur-Rahmann Yaseen, WR, Purdue - developing; new name with lots of offers

Last edited:
Real question, why the need for a place kicker?

What’s the latest on Will Sheppard?

I've been watching videos of Chip Trayanum on YT and noticing where a large number of Ohio State fans were leaving comments saying he should be RB 1 on the depth chart over the starter and that he's the best RB they have on the roster. Lots of folks angry that he wasn't used more. I bet they will be especially salty now that he's in the portal.

Real question, why the need for a place kicker?

They brought in Alex Raynor for 2023. UK's 2023 roster lists Raynor as a senior, and I have not seen any public reports that he has a COVID year left or that he plans to try to come back. If Raynor is done, they can either go with an internal option or bring in another transfer for 2024. If the internal options weren't better than taking a transfer in 2023, what changed in the last year, especially with Chance Poore graduating?

What’s the latest on Will Sheppard?

In its Dec. 3 edition, The Tennessean reported that Will Sheppard, Jayden McGowan, Gamarion Carter, Ken Seals, and London Humphreys will enter the portal this month. So far, I have seen no public evidence that any of them are talking with UK's coaches although that could be happening without our knowledge in the absence of a public report. Sometimes we don't know until the player visits Lexington. Sometimes we don't know until they actually commit. Sometimes there are no public reports at all.

Marrow retweeted this
I've been watching videos of Chip Trayanum on YT and noticing where a large number of Ohio State fans were leaving comments saying he should be RB 1 on the depth chart over the starter and that he's the best RB they have on the roster. Lots of folks angry that he wasn't used more. I bet they will be especially salty now that he's in the portal.

Trayanum fits with a need since Davis and Jefferson are graduating and McClain is transferring. Personally, I think the current projected 2024 RB room of Wright, Wilcox, Mizell, and Patterson is very talented and promising. But none of the four have significant (or any) SEC playing experience, so we need a transfer RB who understands what it is like to play significant snaps in a Power 5 game. FWIW, it is being publicly reported that AR RB Raheim Sanders (now in the portal) is talking with Coen and Boulware.

Last edited:
Wow! Rocket Sanders! I'd have to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming if we were to land that guy. I'll happily take either one of Sanders or Trayanum. Both are the kind of big-bodied, tough, physical guys who we currently lack outside maybe Wright. Like you, I am pretty high on Wilcox, Mizell and Patterson for the future, but they are all smaller guys compared to the big, physical backs we've feasted with in recent years that probably aren't yet ready for playing a full season in the brutal SEC as an every down back. I really hope we can get one of Sanders or Trayanum. I think we'd be set at that point and could bring the younger guys along more slowly and not have to toss them to the wolves.

Reactions: entropy13
Trayanum fits with a need since Davis and Jefferson are graduating and McClain is transferring. Personally, I think the current projected 2024 RB room of Wright, Wilcox, Mizell, and Patterson is very alented and promising. But none of the four have significant (or any) SEC playing experience, so we need a transfer RB who understands what it is like to play significant snaps in a Power 5 game. FWIW, it is being publicly reported that AR RB Raheim Sanders (now in the portal) is talking with Coen and Boulware.
Did you forget DSK? While not an every down back, he was a nice change of pace and good out of the backfield receiver.

Did you forget DSK? While not an every down back, he was a nice change of pace and good out of the backfield receiver.

DSK has mostly been used as a receiver, but you are undoubtedly right about his potential. However, this doesn't change my mind about needing another RB with Power 5 experience. Wright and Mizell missed the 2023 season with injuries, so it would be great to snag Sanders or Trayanum (or a similar Power 5 RB) out of the portal.

Wow! Rocket Sanders! I'd have to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming if we were to land that guy. I'll happily take either one of Sanders or Trayanum. Both are the kind of big-bodied, tough, physical guys who we currently lack outside maybe Wright. Like you, I am pretty high on Wilcox, Mizell and Patterson for the future, but they are all smaller guys compared to the big, physical backs we've feasted with in recent years that probably aren't yet ready for playing a full season in the brutal SEC as an every down back. I really hope we can get one of Sanders or Trayanum. I think we'd be set at that point and could bring the younger guys along more slowly and not have to toss them to the wolves.

Mizell and Patterson are not small RBs. But they don't have college playing experience yet, so we could really use another physical RB who has proven he can gain yards after first contact and cut back to open field at the second level.

Last edited:
They brought in Alex Raynor for 2023. UK's 2023 roster lists Raynor as a senior, and I have not seen any public reports that he has a COVID year left or that he plans to try to come back. If Raynor is done, they can either go with an internal option or bring in another transfer for 2024. If the internal options weren't better than taking a transfer in 2023, what changed in the last year, especially with Chance Poore graduating?

In its Dec. 3 edition, The Tennessean reported that Will Sheppard, Jayden McGowan, Gamarion Carter, Ken Seals, and London Humphreys will enter the portal this month. So far, I have seen no public evidence that any of them are talking with UK's coaches although that could be happening without our knowledge in the absence of a public report. Sometimes we don't know until the player visits Lexington. Sometimes we don't know until they actually commit. Sometimes there are no public reports at all.
I thought Raynor himself had said he was coming back at some point if I'm not mistaken. We also have jacob Kauwe coming in the 2024 class from Montana.

BTW, what happened with Zeke Correll, the C from Notre Dame? It sounded like we were in the picture a few days ago.

I thought Raynor himself had said he was coming back at some point if I'm not mistaken. We also have jacob Kauwe coming in the 2024 class from Montana.
I think Kauwe is primarily being looked at as a punter, but I could be wrong. FWIW, I believe I read that he has not had a very good 2023 season as a placekicker but kicks the crap out of the ball as a punter. Strong leg with technical issues to clean up. There hasn't been very much material available on him so, again, I could certainly be wrong.

It will be fantastic if Raynor comes back in 2024. He is one of the best placekickers I can remember at UK. After I saw your first post on the subject, I looked up Raynor's history and did the math. I believe he may have a COVID year available if he wants it. But I haven't seen anything about him having an interest in using it. I could have missed that, and I hope you are right.

Last edited:
What hurts UK is that they run so few plays that players don't get the chances to develop so much.
You probably meant this sarcastically. I hope so. Yes, we would like to run more offensive plays in games. But development happens in the offseason and in practice.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Trayanum fits with a need since Davis and Jefferson are graduating and McClain is transferring. Personally, I think the current projected 2024 RB room of Wright, Wilcox, Mizell, and Patterson is very talented and promising. But none of the four have significant (or any) SEC playing experience, so we need a transfer RB who understands what it is like to play significant snaps in a Power 5 game. FWIW, it is being publicly reported that AR RB Raheim Sanders (now in the portal) is talking with Coen and Boulware.
Doesn’t Karnbay have at least 1 more year?

Reactions: pauled
I'm wondering if it's not LB Rayner who is returning and not PK Raynor and people became confused between the two.

BTW, what happened with Zeke Correll, the C from Notre Dame? It sounded like we were in the picture a few days ago.
I saw one early media report suggesting Correll might be a good fit for UK, but it also mentioned that Correll was interested in a list of schools. Correll and UK's coaches haven't talked, according to multiple public reports. With Eli Cox and Koby Keenum coming back, UK is far better off expending scholarships on OTs than on more Cs. Contrary to the popular narrative here, Eli has actually had a pretty good 2023 season, especially lately.
Dabo has been reluctant to take transfers.

This we be an interesting test case in that policy!!!

It's a legacy issue and a family issue for Dabo. If Trevor wants to transfer to Clemson, I assume Dabo would take him. I wouldn't mind having him at UK but Sanders would be a better fit for us if the knee is healthy.

You probably meant this sarcastically. I hope so. Yes, we would like to run more offensive plays in games. But development happens in the offseason and in practice.
Some of that plus truth. Guys want to play in games. More plays = more opportunity to show their stuff. I don't doubt UK slow O isn't used against us in recruiting.

I'm wondering if it's not LB Rayner who is returning and not PK Raynor and people became confused between the two.
Sounds likely, although the math does suggest that Alex Raynor may have a COVID season available if he wants it. Rayner (LB) is coming back next year, but I have not yet heard anything about Raynor (PK) coming back.

Some of that plus truth. Guys want to play in games. More plays = more opportunity to show their stuff. I don't doubt UK slow O isn't used against us in recruiting.
You were saying not enough plays for "development". But development occurs in practice. Has nothing to do with tempo.

The issue with plays is related to huddling. To go uptempo and run more plays, you go no-huddle because huddling takes time. Leary can play uptempo, but our young WRs don't do it well. Meaning, routes often don't get run correctly without calling the play in the huddle. Key, BB, and ABS are still learning Coen's full offense. That is just another clue why Scott Woodward was not retained, although recruiting also figured into that. If you want better WR development (Coen certainly does), hopefully we will hire a new WR coach who develops all his players better. I'm sure that is in the works.

Doesn’t seem we are pursuing any edge rushers according to that list. I wonder if thats not to ruffle feathers of the Twins and Brian Robinson?

No, it isn't.

I know what has been written, but Brian Robinson weighs close to 270# now and can't slot into the Jack LB rotation next year unless he loses 20-25# over the summer. That may happen. Not saying it will or won't, because I can't predict it. But Robinson knows his future is probably at DE in this defense. When Robinson and the Smiths visited Lexington together, all of this got talked out and the three players decided they could coexist at UK. Jacob Smith is a Jack LB all the way but he is a team player. He knows he can't walk right in as a true freshman and play every SEC snap.

A name to watch (maybe) is Lloyd Summerall. UK offered him out of Lakeland hs. He held at least nine SEC offers and signed with FL, then transfered to SoFL. He is in the portal and will be heavily pursued. I wouldn't hold my breath on Summerall, but our coaches will check in with him and several others. We need another LB or two but it has to be the right guys.

Reactions: Fox2monk

this weekend visits will have a very significant impact on our 2024 football outlook. Maybe most important weekend of the recruiting cycle.

This would be Yuge!

It is public knowledge now that our coaches have been talking with Trayanum and Raheim Sanders. Both will have lots of options, so this visit by Trayanum is good news. If his knee is healthy, Sanders would probably be the better fit for Coach Coen. But nearly every SEC team will chase Sanders, who has at least 2 more seasons of eligibility. Trayanum is listed as a senior by OH St.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Sources now publicly reporting UK's coaches are talking with Drew Azzopardi, OL (SD St), who has 3 years of eligibility remaining. Azzopardi is 6'7" 310# and can play either OT position. His family lives in San Mateo. He was not widely recruited out of hs but had an offer from AZ in addition to SD St.

You were saying not enough plays for "development". But development occurs in practice. Has nothing to do with tempo.

The issue with plays is related to huddling. To go uptempo and run more plays, you go no-huddle because huddling takes time. Leary can play uptempo, but our young WRs don't do it well. Meaning, routes often don't get run correctly without calling the play in the huddle. Key, BB, and ABS are still learning Coen's full offense. That is just another clue why Scott Woodward was not retained, although recruiting also figured into that. If you want better WR development (Coen certainly does), hopefully we will hire a new WR coach who develops all his players better. I'm sure that is in the works.
We disagree. Why weren’t we developing WRs in quick no huddle plays? Doing it in games develops that understanding imo.

Raynor is not done

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT