ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

In the 70`s, if a kid was 6-4 to 6-6, even if a kid was 240 ish, they played basketball. Now more of them are playing football as well. If kentucky continues to improve on the field, more kids will eventually get involved in the sport and our recruiting base will improve. But we have to implement some of the things mentioned above, especially spring practices and middle school involvement. Each middle school does`nt have to have a team, but have leagues for that age group. They can form a league that includes Jefferson, Bullitt, Oldham, Hardin and Spencer counties. There won`t be a lot of travel and I`m sure that wide of an area could produce several teams.
The state of KY just isn't big enough to provide the core of an SEC football roster, even if they do everything you suggest. Stoops has said UK's recruiting base in the area within a 6 hour driving radius from Lexington. It is working largely because Stoops and Marrow have built relationships with Frederick Douglass hs, North Hardin hs, Bowling Green hs, Winton Woods hs, Archbishop Moeller hs, Lakota West hs, Cass Tech hs, and a handful of other hs staffs that have provided key players to UK. These are being supplemented with a few players here and there from Nashville, Philadelphia, FL, GA, and AL. Stoops has made it work because he has been smart and tactical about working around his problem of being located in the SEC's smallest state.

Last edited:
I didn`t mention the Indianapolis area because, for now, most of those kids go to Notre Dame, Purdue or Ohio State. Plus Indiana is still a HS basketball state, but they do produce a few more football players than Kentucky. It surprises me as to how few actually go to Indiana to play football. One area that Kentucky has improved in is offensive linemen. In the 70`s, if a kid was 6-4 to 6-6, even if a kid was 240 ish, they played basketball. Now more of them are playing football as well. If kentucky continues to improve on the field, more kids will eventually get involved in the sport and our recruiting base will improve. But we have to implement some of the things mentioned above, especially spring practices and middle school involvement. Each middle school does`nt have to have a team, but have leagues for that age group. They can form a league that includes Jefferson, Bullitt, Oldham, Hardin and Spencer counties. There won`t be a lot of travel and I`m sure that wide of an area could produce several teams.

I think I disagree on the Indiana things

Seems to me, Ind became a Fball state about 2010-12 or so.

HS football stadiums are crammed, bball are empty there.

Catholic Kid= Catholic HS= All World in Catholic HS = the team in northern Indiana.

That’s just how it is

Reactions: Wildcat40229
Interesting that there are only 3 KY kids on that list and NONE from Louisville or Lexington.
Which is why the state of KY has not been, and cannot be, the main recruiting base for Stoops' program. Saying we want the best instate players is not the same thing as saying the recruiting base is instate. The best players in our 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes are mainly from TN, AL, FL, GA, MI, and OH. When the state of KY was the football program's recruiting base in the 80s and 90s, money was saved on the recruiting budget but our football team generally (almost routinely) took a beating in SEC play. Not even OOC games were safe back then.

Now Stoops treats a 6 hour driving radius around Lexington as his recruiting base. Within this roughly circular area, many widely recruited Power 5 caliber prospects seriously consider signing with UK now. Edwards, Bowden, Conrad, Asafo Adjei, Bohanna, Kinnard, Corker, Afari, Brown, Porter, the Wade brothers, and so forth. Those players play here because Stoops has the rep, record, facilities, and recruiting budget to sign them.

There are still posters on this board who criticize Barnhart for allegedly not "supporting" our football program. Then they criticize Barnhart for paying Stoops too much money which, when you think about it, is more or less the opposite of the first criticism. But Barnhart has renovated all of our football facilities and expanded the recruiting budget to the point that Stoops is "stealing" heavily recruited prospects in TN, OH, and PA from the instate FBS and Power 5 programs. TBH, with the exceptions of Moe Williams and Antonio Hall, that hasn't happened here since the 70s before Barnhart and Stoops arrived. Even then, UK as placed on NCAA probation for the means by which Fran Curci signed Warren Bryant, Art Still, and Derrick Ramsey. Stoops and Barnhart are getting it done the right way.

Which is why the state of KY has not been, and cannot be, the main recruiting base for Stoops' program. Saying we want the best instate players is not the same thing as saying the recruiting base is instate. The best players in our 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes are mainly from TN, AL, FL, GA, MI, and OH. When the state of KY was the football program's recruiting base in the 80s and 90s, money was saved on the recruiting budget but our football team generally (almost routinely) took a beating in SEC play. Not even OOC games were safe back then.

Now Stoops treats a 6 hour driving radius around Lexington as his recruiting base. Within this roughly circular area, many widely recruited Power 5 caliber prospects seriously consider signing with UK now. Edwards, Bowden, Conrad, Asafo Adjei, Bohanna, Kinnard, Corker, Afari, Brown, Porter, the Wade brothers, and so forth. Those players play here because Stoops has the rep, record, facilities, and recruiting budget to sign them.

There are still posters on this board who criticize Barnhart for allegedly not "supporting" our football program. Then they criticize Barnhart for paying Stoops too much money which, when you think about it, is more or less the opposite of the first criticism. But Barnhart has renovated all of our football facilities and expanded the recruiting budget to the point that Stoops is "stealing" heavily recruited prospects in TN, OH, and PA from the instate FBS and Power 5 programs. TBH, with the exceptions of Moe Williams and Antonio Hall, that hasn't happened here since the 70s before Barnhart and Stoops arrived. Even then, UK as placed on NCAA probation for the means by which Fran Curci signed Warren Bryant, Art Still, and Derrick Ramsey. Stoops and Barnhart are getting it done the right way.
...Even then, UK [w]as placed on NCAA probation for the means by which Fran Curci signed Warren Bryant, Art Still, and Derrick Ramsey. Stoops and Barnhart are getting it done the right way...not to mention Mumme and Memphisgate/Bassettgate

...Even then, UK [w]as placed on NCAA probation for the means by which Fran Curci signed Warren Bryant, Art Still, and Derrick Ramsey. Stoops and Barnhart are getting it done the right way...not to mention Mumme and Memphisgate/Bassettgate
Yes. I didn't mention Mummegate in the context of my earlier remarks because, despite blatantly cheating, Mumme and Bassett actually didn't sign Albert Means or any heavily recruited out of state prospects. Even Dewayne Robertson, later a 1st round NFL draft choice, was originally recruited by Bassett out of Memphis as an H-back (according to his Wikipedia page) and was only converted to DT after he repetitively dropped passes in practice as a freshman. Fortuitously, as it turned out.

Last edited:
Even Dewayne Robertson, later a 1st round NFL draft choice, was originally recruited by Bassett out of Memphis as an H-back (according to his Wikipedia page)
I think someone is having a little fun on Wikipedia.

I attended the first week of practice Robertson and Caudill’s first year . . . they were wide open, then. Both the bigguns were working at DT, on arrival.

Reactions: Girthang
I think someone is having a little fun on Wikipedia.

I attended the first week of practice Robertson and Caudill’s first year . . . they were wide open, then. Both the bigguns were working at DT, on arrival.
Did you read the explanation in the Wikipedia piece? What was written is correct, I think. My earlier point was Mumme's and Bassett's cheating did not actually bring highly recruited out of state players to UK, and that point stands.

Reactions: maroon79
The state of KY just isn't big enough to provide the core of an SEC football roster, even if they do everything you suggest. ..... Stoops has made it work because he has been smart and tactical about working around his problem of being located in the SEC's smallest state.
Need to correct this mistake regarding population ..... Kentucky has a larger population than Mississippi and Arkansas. Also, Kentucky has a larger population than Oklahoma, which will join the SEC within a year.

2022 population of states (x 1 million) within SEC footprint:
29..9 - Texas
22.1 - Florida
10.9 - Georgia
7.0 - Tennessee
6.2 - Missouri
5.2 - South Carolina
5.1 - Alabama
4.7 - Louisiana
4.5 - Kentucky
4.0 - Oklahoma
3.0 - Arkansas
3.0 - Mississippi

Need to correct this mistake regarding population ..... Kentucky has a larger population than Mississippi and Arkansas. Also, Kentucky has a larger population than Oklahoma, which will join the SEC within a year.

29..9 - Texas
22.1 - Florida
10.9 - Georgia
7.0 - Tennessee
6.2 - Missouri
5.2 - South Carolina
5.1 - Alabama
4.7 - Louisiana
4.5 - Kentucky
4.0 - Oklahoma
3.0 - Arkansas
3.0 - Mississippi
That is a peripheral detail in the context of the key points. If your numbers are correct, then I concede that particular point because numbers are what they are. But however you do the count, whether by number of instate hs football programs, or by number of Power 5 football players produced in the state, Kentucky is at or near the bottom of the SEC. Therefore, the relevant point still stands. Whether Kentucky is absolutely the smallest state, or simply among the smallest states, Mark Stoops must (and does) sign the bulk of his football players (including most of his impact players) from out of state. Stoops has made this situation work. Barnhart and the Board of Governors have appropriated the money for the budget. They are working together to build and maintain a successful SEC football program. Those who insist otherwise have forgotten how things were going for the program before Stoops got here.

29..9 - Texas
22.1 - Florida
10.9 - Georgia
7.0 - Tennessee
6.2 - Missouri
5.2 - South Carolina
5.1 - Alabama
4.7 - Louisiana
4.5 - Kentucky
4.0 - Oklahoma
3.0 - Arkansas
3.0 - Mississippi
---
Hmm, you seem to be missing one key factor when comparing Kentucky to Oklahoma, Arkansas & Mississippi.

Buford in GA is absolutely loaded for 24, they could have10 players sign with SEC schools and several more at smaller schools. Buford players seldom get much better in college, the program is run much like a college program with nutritionists, state of the art training, even a JV stadium that seats 3500. JV players are not allowed to step on the varsity field unless they are dressed for varsity game. They are either maxed out physically in HS, elite technique or just burnt out by the time they get to college. This entire process starts at around 8 .
That is my theory on why Texas doesn't see results comparable to their ranking success. I think those Texas kids are pushed so hard in HS that many are almost maxed out physically and just don't improve much in college. I remember they got 2 of the fastest players in the country coming out of HS and they couldn't keep up with OU receivers in a game and their fans were in disbelief. Those kids were sprinting champs and then played football. No breaks and no time off.

They are basically getting high floor but low ceiling guys.

Last edited:

29..9 - Texas
22.1 - Florida
10.9 - Georgia
7.0 - Tennessee
6.2 - Missouri
5.2 - South Carolina
5.1 - Alabama
4.7 - Louisiana
4.5 - Kentucky
4.0 - Oklahoma
3.0 - Arkansas
3.0 - Mississippi

Think proximity homey!

29..9 - Texas
22.1 - Florida
10.9 - Georgia
7.0 - Tennessee
6.2 - Missouri
5.2 - South Carolina
5.1 - Alabama
4.7 - Louisiana
4.5 - Kentucky
4.0 - Oklahoma
3.0 - Arkansas
3.0 - Mississippi
Population makes a difference, but the key is the percentage of African-Americans in these states. Kentucky, Missouri and Oklahoma would be at the bottom in this category. With Kentucky being at the bottom in both areas makes it much more difficult in the SEC.

Population makes a difference, but the key is the percentage of African-Americans in these states. Kentucky, Missouri and Oklahoma would be at the bottom in this category. With Kentucky being at the bottom in both areas makes it much more difficult in the SEC.
---
Bingo!

As far as I can tell, the following 2024 instate football prospects already hold UK scholarship offers-

Shaun Boykins, WR, Ratcliff
Gavin Chadwell, TE, Barbourville
Haynes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville
Demeco Kennedy, DL, Lexington
Jak Lindsey, OL, Owensboro
Jeremiah Lowe, DB, Lexington
Zuri Madison, OL, Lexington
Aba Selm, OL, Independence
Darius Wiley, DL, Ratcliff

More than half of these names play for two schools (N. Hardin, F. Douglass), and none live in Jefferson Co. This fact shows an important trend in recruitment of SEC prospects inside the state of KY. I doubt all 9 of these names are currently takes, but some of them will have productive careers at UK.

The trade craft of developing strong relationships with staffs of major hs programs has been mastered by Coach Marrow, and helped to make him one of the most respected Power 5 recruiters. The following major hs programs are among those that have become regular targets for UK's coaching staff-

N. Hardin hs, Ratcliff, KY
F. Douglass hs, Lexington, KY
Bowling Green hs, Bowling Green, KY
St. Thomas Aquinas hs, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Winton Woods hs, Cincinnati, OH
Archbishop Moeller hs, Cincinnati, OH
Lakota West hs, W. Chester, OH
Springfield hs, Springfield, OH
Cass Tech hs, Detroit, MI
Oak Park hs, Oak Park, MI

Was Coach Morrow the lead recruiter for Gavin Wimsatt? Does he have responsibility for Warren East/Central?
Rembrandt, thanks for your contributions.

Are we recruiting JT Haskins a jr from Bryan Station ?
As a Bryan Station hs player in Lexington, Haskins has undoubtedly been seen by UK's coaches. Reportedly, he does not hold a UK scholarship offer. Haskins does not hold any SEC offers, and his only Power 5 offer is reportedly from UL. That came before Brohm's hiring, so it probably isn't committable now. At 6'0" 150#, Haskins is a string bean who will require an extensive period of development wherever he plays.

Here is a New Years kind of question.

Who will be the first verbal commitment to UK's 2024 football recruiting class?

Based on what little I know now, I will guess Haynes Johnson or Darius Wiley. I will go with Haynes Johnson.
On Dec. 26 (see above), I suspected Haynes Johnson of Campbellsville might become the first verbal commitment to UK's 2024 football class. Now I am sure of it. Johnson is the instate player receiving the most attention from UK's coaches, and he is a good fit. Big, country-strong guy who can be developed into an effective drive blocker as a RG. Soon he will verbal to UK.

Shaun Boykins out of North Hardin hs (a UK pipeline school) is another instate player to keep an eye on. Fast, strong, athletic WR who unofficially visited Lexington recently.

Reactions: Uncle Adolph
On Dec. 26 (see above), I suspected Haynes Johnson of Campbellsville might become the first verbal commitment to UK's 2024 football class. Now I am sure of it. Johnson is the instate player receiving the most attention from UK's coaches, and he is a good fit. Big, country-strong guy who can be developed into an effective drive blocker as a RG. Soon he will verbal to UK.

Shaun Boykins out of North Hardin hs (a UK pipeline school) is another instate player to keep an eye on. Fast, strong, athletic WR who unofficially visited Lexington recently.
And apparently a heck of a goose hunter.

Reactions: maroon79

Saw Hayes play a couple of years ago. He looked taller than his listed 6-3? Had a large frame then. The 46th best OT would be a good start. Thought he will be OT instead of OG?

As a Bryan Station hs player in Lexington, Haskins has undoubtedly been seen by UK's coaches. Reportedly, he does not hold a UK scholarship offer. Haskins does not hold any SEC offers, and his only Power 5 offer is reportedly from UL. That came before Brohm's hiring, so it probably isn't committable now. At 6'0" 150#, Haskins is a string bean who will require an extensive period of development wherever he plays.
Thanks Rembrandt90
Really enjoy all of the recruiting info
Do you know if Liam is in town yet ?
Can't imagine he is not with JR days upon us

Last edited:
There is a recent report that UK's coaches have now issued an offer to 2024 LB Chase Couch out of LCA. Couch, the son of the former #1 overall NFL draft pick and legendary UK QB, is a 6'4" 240# edge athlete. He currently plays in the same hs program as 2025 QB prospect Cutter Boley. Coach Marrow is Couch's recruiter.

Last edited:
There is a recent report that UK's coaches have now issued an offer to 2024 LB Chase Couch out of LCA. Couch, the son of the former #1 overall NFL draft pick and legendary UK QB, is a 6'4" 220# edge athlete. He currently plays in the same hs program as 2025 QB prospect Cutter Boley. Coach Marrow is Couch's recruiter.
Concerning Boley the breakdown on him said that his arm is big time. Can not only make all the throws all over the field but also is receiver friendly in that his touch and placement is well above average of what you normally see in high school. Second thing it said his decision making is at an extremely high level. Can make the right quick decisions on pass plays.

Reactions: vikingfer
Concerning Boley the breakdown on him said that his arm is big time. Can not only make all the throws all over the field but also is receiver friendly in that his touch and placement is well above average of what you normally see in high school. Second thing it said his decision making is at an extremely high level. Can make the right quick decisions on pass plays.
Am I remembering this right, did Coen establish a relationship with Boley before he left for the Rams ?
Again, hope Liam is able to be here for JR day

ADVERTISEMENT