ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2024 Recruiting

w
Thank you! You discuss race without being racial, much less racist. I'm a data nerd who works in finance and also has a social work degree, so this is right up my alley. :)
When we remember the demographics of the American South, it is not so surprising that some of Kentucky’s best days, under Bear Bryant, coincided with an era when Southern Universities excluded a significant portion of their population based upon race.

I’m especially proud that Kentucky paved the way for integration on the gridiron, as no one could rationally argue the ultimate (and foreseeable) result was to Kentucky’s advantage.

Pretty exciting list of 2024 visitors this past weekend. About 5 or 6 four stars and a total of 24.
Most of our signees tend to come onto the fan base's radar in May-July because that is a time of year when our coaches are primarily focused on evaluation and recruiting. But there are usually 1-2 March and April commitments from hs players who visit our spring practices. Hayes Johnson is already on board. Looks to me like Aba Selm, Shaun Boykins, and Darius Wiley have been showing a lot of UK interest. As far as out of state prospects, Gavin Grover, Crews Law, and the Armstrong twins seem to have a high level of interest in UK.

It is disappointing to see that the Smith twins are getting CB picks to ND, but who knows if that will amount to anything? They visited Lexington last weekend FWIW.

Friend of my SO (her son) was dyed in the wool, went to the O$U was miserable. Transferred to Pitt still not starting as an OL

SO told me she remembers me saying that he would have been a multiple year started in the MAC or another lower conf.

Ryan D knew he was never going to be anything there even though he was a high 3 star. They had Parris J and another dude who I can’t remember that were light years ahead.

Of course all schools do it, but the lesson is go where you are going to play a lot, and not just be on the team.

Reactions: delk4three
w

When we remember the demographics of the American South, it is not so surprising that some of Kentucky’s best days, under Bear Bryant, coincided with an era when Southern Universities excluded a significant portion of their population based upon race.

I’m especially proud that Kentucky paved the way for integration on the gridiron, as no one could rationally argue the ultimate (and foreseeable) result was to Kentucky’s advantage.
Indeed. Texas Western showed us the way on the hardwood, too.

Indeed. Texas Western showed us the way on the hardwood, too.
Unfortunately for national perception, those events were damn near exactly at the same time, but only one got the attention.

I’m still pissed at the movie showing large Rebel Flags being flown at the UK, Texas Western game: Ole Miss (of the day) had the nutlock on that symbol.

Unfortunately for national perception, those events were damn near exactly at the same time, but only one got the attention.

I’m still pissed at the movie showing large Rebel Flags being flown at the UK, Texas Western game: Ole Miss (of the day) had the nutlock on that symbol.
All true. Fortunately, events from the 1960s will have no bearing on our 2024 football recruiting class. And, here, I have to just mention that our coaches do a really good job of communicating with college age athletes. When the recruits talk about their visits, you keep hearing about the family atmosphere in our football program. Stoops deserves tremendous credit for this, but also Coach Marrow, Coach Coen, Coach White, and the rest of the staff. And I love it when our former players come home to Lexington and come to UK's bench area on the sideline to attend our games.

Many fans here are already familiar with the story of Jacob and Jerod Smith, the twin defensive prospects attending the Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, CT. The twins grew up in Somerset.

In a hypothetical 3-4 defensive system, Jacob is projected as a edge LB while Jerod is projected as a 3 technique or 5 technique. Jacob is considered the slightly better prospect although both twins are thought to have NFL upsides. So a school having a shot to sign both brothers would be looking at the foundation of a strong recruiting class.

Being KY natives, the twins were assumed to be likely UK recruits. After their recruitments began, they received UK CB predictions from "insider" Josh Edwards.

However, the twins visited ND in July and reportedly had an incredible visit. This month, two ND "insiders" have made CB picks for the twins to ND. In addition to ND, the twins reportedly already hold 7 B10 and 6 SEC offers including GA and AL. So their recruitment is very competitive.

Coach White is recruiting the twins for UK. I don't believe in "must-gets" because SEC football coaching staffs give out hundreds of offers every year. But the chance to sign two defensive players of this caliber who grew up in KY is an important opportunity for Coach White and his defense. To do it, UK's staff will have to beat out ND, MI, PA St, AL, and GA among many others. Tall order.

Most of our signees tend to come onto the fan base's radar in May-July because that is a time of year when our coaches are primarily focused on evaluation and recruiting. But there are usually 1-2 March and April commitments from hs players who visit our spring practices. Hayes Johnson is already on board. Looks to me like Aba Selm, Shaun Boykins, and Darius Wiley have been showing a lot of UK interest. As far as out of state prospects, Gavin Grover, Crews Law, and the Armstrong twins seem to have a high level of interest in UK.

It is disappointing to see that the Smith twins are getting CB picks to ND, but who knows if that will amount to anything? They visited Lexington last weekend FWIW.
As we pondered (above) on Tuesday, Aba Selm has now committed to UK's 2024 recruiting class.

Selm, an OG from Independence, KY, is being recruited by Coach Marrow. He reportedly holds 2 B10 and 2 SEC offers. PA St wants him and he visited there in January.

Our 2024 class to date-

Hayes Johnson, OL, Campbellsville, KY
Aba Selm, OL, Independence, KY

North Hardin hs players Shaun Boykins and Darius Wiley are other instate prospects who could commit to UK this winter or spring if Coach Marrow pushes for their commitments.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Looked at 247 list of OTs on our roster. LmAo!

Seems they've either fired everyone that updates their rosters, or they just suck at what they do. 6 players either out of position or no longer on our roster. Some have been gone over a YEAR already.

Looked at 247 list of OTs on our roster. LmAo!

Seems they've either fired everyone that updates their rosters, or they just suck at what they do. 6 players either out of position or no longer on our roster. Some have been gone over a YEAR already.
Buford, Cox, Flax, and Wolly are basically it. Hall may play tackle also

Buford, Cox, Flax, and Wolly are basically it. Hall may play tackle also
Nik Hall is a true LT with pedigree, length, and a high ceiling. Hall had 5 B12 and 3 SEC offers including TX A&M. Eventually Hall will start. Josh Jones, who missed 2022 with an injury, is an OT from the outstanding Central hs program in Phenix City, AL. Jones had 6 SEC offers including LSU. Malachi Wood will be developed as an OT.

Stoops will almost certainly add a couple of OTs in this 2024 class, although Johnson and Selm will be OGs. It's still early, but I will be watching Luke Masterson, Zach Bandy, Ransom McDermott, and the Armstrong twins to begin with. If OH St's staff doesn't press hard for the Armstrong twins, we probably have a good shot.

Last edited:
Read elsewhere that Hall would be competing for the Right tackle position this coming year.
That is my impression too. And after Marques Cox uses up his eligibility, Hall has a direct path to the starting LT job if he takes care of business between now and 2024. I suppose everyone here already knows that former Wildcat Antonio Hall is Nik's father.

Read elsewhere that Hall would be competing for the Right tackle position this coming year.
Yep I read that today too. Hopefully he's ready. I was told last year he wasn't near ready but a year in the weight room can fix that. They also said Buford was a stud and by far the best tackle on the team b4 Cox. They said his issue is learning his assignments. They said he has all the ability to be the starting RT this year but it just hasn't clicked mentally.

Nik Hall is a true LT with pedigree, length, and a high ceiling. Hall had 5 B12 and 3 SEC offers including TX A&M. Eventually Hall will start. Josh Jones, who missed 2022 with an injury, is an OT from the outstanding Central hs program in Phenix City, AL. Jones had 6 SEC offers including LSU. Malachi Wood will be developed as an OT.

Stoops will almost certainly add a couple of OTs in this 2024 class, although Johnson and Selm will be OGs. It's still early, but I will be watching Luke Masterson, Zach Bandy, Ransom McDermott, and the Armstrong twins to begin with. If OH St's staff doesn't press hard for the Armstrong twins, we probably have a good shot.

I don't have any connections on the OL. Why do you think Selm couldn't be an OT, and have you heard if they will return to more actively cross training OL at multiple positions?

Reactions: Daniel1962
I don't have any connections on the OL. Why do you think Selm couldn't be an OT, and have you heard if they will return to more actively cross training OL at multiple positions?
JRow said he's heard both for Selm. He they will initially try him at RT and if it doesn't work out move him inside. He said he's 6'4 1/2 290 with an 18 size shoe. Huge kid

JRow said he's heard both for Selm. He they will initially try him at RT and if it doesn't work out move him inside. He said he's 6'4 1/2 290 with an 18 size shoe. Huge kid

Good to hear. Noticed his size and couldn't believe he wouldn't get a shot at OT as well. Well see over time, of course

Good questions. My recollection is that the philosophy of systematic cross training of our offensive linemen at several positions was a John Schlarman innovation. I don't think Eric Wolford did much of it. Wolford picked the five best linemen and tried to build chemistry, which is a more traditional type of approach. Zach Yenser's first season was largely about damage control, so I don't think we have learned much about his philosophy. Yenser himself may not know what his own philosophy is yet, as 2022 was his first tour in the SEC. The SEC is a unique coaching experience, especially in the trenches. Ken Horsey flipped from LG to LT out of necessity when Buford and Wohlabaugh couldn't handle it. I believe Yenser's failure to foresee Buford's and Wohlabaugh's limitations as of last September was evidence of Yenser's (let's just say) incomplete readiness for an SEC OL coaching position. After a breakout season as a RG in 2021, Eli Cox struggled with the transition to C in 2022. Some of that clearly falls on Yenser. But to his credit, Yenser put his head down and coached up Cox, Burton, Buford, and Wohlabaugh as the season progressed. Unfortunately, things didn't go nearly as well with John Young or Kiyaunta Goodwin. We will see how those guys do at their new programs. But in any case, Yenser still has something to prove. And he will get that chance with a roster of talented young linemen including Hall, Bingham, Ramsey, Keenum, and Wood.

As a junior at Simon Kenton hs, Aba Selm played LT. I have watched a lot of game film. At that level, Selm shows quick feet and a nasty streak. I like his tenacity and motor. He moves his feet and finishes his blocks. He can pull, and he can pass block a little. Our fans will love Selm. But he does not have the length of an SEC OT. If we were still running Eddie Gran's offense and running the football down opponents' throats on every snap, Selm could probably play RT. But in Liam Coen's offense, Selm is an OG all the way. For similar reasons, so is Hayes Johnson.

So we are still looking for OTs. In my football dreams, we sign the Armstrong twins and Ben Roebuck out of Lakewood, OH. That would be totally spectacular. But OH St, MI, and PA St also want them. So Coach Marrow and Coach Yenser have work to do.

Yep I read that today too. Hopefully he's ready. I was told last year he wasn't near ready but a year in the weight room can fix that. They also said Buford was a stud and by far the best tackle on the team b4 Cox. They said his issue is learning his assignments. They said he has all the ability to be the starting RT this year but it just hasn't clicked mentally.
According to Anthony White (and we all know his connection) there was a lack of communication between coach Scan and basically everyone on the offensive side of the ball . Probably why Yenser kept his job . He said people tried to talk to Scan about it but he wasn’t open to “advice “. Hopefully that’s why there were so many missed assignments and together with an upgrade in personnel, we will see a huge improvement in the oline.

Usually offensive linemen won`t receive the high ratings that skill position players do. Skill position players can jump off the page when watching film, where as linemen won`t. That`s why we see so many linemen, who wasn`t rated very high, playing in the NFL. The offensive line is ALL about development, teamwork and how much they want it.

Usually offensive linemen won`t receive the high ratings that skill position players do. Skill position players can jump off the page when watching film, where as linemen won`t. That`s why we see so many linemen, who wasn`t rated very high, playing in the NFL. The offensive line is ALL about development, teamwork and how much they want it.
IIRC, except for George Asafo Adjei, Darrian Kinnard, Drake Jackson, Landon Young, Jager Burton, and Deondre Buford, who had healthy (or better) player ratings, all of Stoops' key offensive linemen have satisfied this model of being evaluated and signed as projects and then overachieving through development. That was Schlarman's magic touch, and Stoops is still trying to find that magic again. Fortner (very lightly recruited) is starting in the NFL. Bunchy and Stenberg (both very lightly recruited) became All Americans. Bunchy was a total steamroller and his blocking helped Benny Snell become an All American. Truly amazing. Very few Power 5 teams wanted Myers, Haynes, Dotson, Horsey, Cox, Wohlabaugh, or P. Rodriguez.

I am a fan of Rowland. Rowland has a football mind, in contrast to most other local UK sports analysts who know something about basketball but almost nothing about football. I don't think Rowland posts something online unless he has researched it and believes it. And if Stoops was interested in an I-formation or veer power running game, then I don't doubt that Selm could play RT in the SEC. And Liam Coen has said his next UK offense will be different from his last UK offense, so this is a guessing game at this point. But I think Coen will spread the field. If Devin Leary or Destin Wade is your QB, you want to spread the field because of their physical skills and attributes not to mention that Jamarion Wilcox, Barion Brown, Dekel Crowder, Jordan Anthony, and Brandon White are track star quality skill players who can fly and they make defenders miss in space.

To a certain point, some development decisions get made because of roster needs. Jeremy Flax has one more year. Even if Nik Hall beats out Flax at RT (which I wouldn't bet on), Hall will still be the early favorite to change sides and become the 2024 starting LT. So there may be a need at RT in 2024, and there is nothing wrong with starting Selm out at RT. Selm has good enough feet to maybe pull it off on the right edge, and getting his commitment may have involved a promise to let him try OT first. I can believe that. But if you watch Selm's film, the best part of his game is pulling, drive blocking, and finishing blocks. Those qualities are impressive. In our offense, those skills translate best to OG. Selm also has necessary qualities to be developed as a C if needed. JMO.

Take a look at Ben Roebuck and the Armstrong twins out of Lakewood, OH. Those guys are ideal OT prototypes. Would love to sign a couple of those guys. That will be difficult because OH St and MI want them too. But they seem interested in UK (especially the twins), and Marrow is recruiting them. Stoops has already offered scholarships to at least 20 true OT types in the 2024 class. That is a statement. It tells me that Stoops knows he needs more true OTs who can be developed into high level edge players for a spread offense, and he plans to acquire them. As of now, UK is scheduled to bring back 19 scholarship players who will be seniors in 2023. Flax, E. Cox, and M. Cox are scheduled to graduate. (E. Cox may have a COVID year left. IDK.) Goodwin and J. Young just left through the portal. By the time transfers get sorted out, Stoops should be able to take a larger class in 2024 than he just signed for 2023, if he wants to. I expect him to take 4-5 offensive linemen in the 2024 class because he will need them. Based on need, QB, RB, OT, DL, and LB should become positions of emphasis in our 2024 class.

Last edited:

I half wish Duke had beaten us in that final four game, then they would have gotten stuck with the racist stigma that’s haunted us since that game. Pretty sure they were lily white at that time too. Whichever one of us played TW was getting stuck with that.

Key is arm length over height though they tend to run together.

And Liam Coen has said his next UK offense will be different from his last UK offense, so this is a guessing game at this point.
I had not heard that. I tend toward wanting us to keep the pro-style, but whatever it takes to move our offensive production into the top third of college football is OK by me.

Combine that with a Top 15 defense and solid kicking, and I’ll see you and forty-thousand of my closest friends on January 1, somewhere well South of Nashville, Tennessee.

Last edited:
I had not heard that. I tend toward wanting us to keep the pro-style, but whatever it takes to move our offensive production into the top third of college football is OK by me.

Combine that with a Top 15 defense and solid kicking, and I’ll see you and forty-thousand of my closest friends on January 1, somewhere well South of Nashville, Tennessee.
In today's game, innovations in offensive football not only happen every year but even every few weeks. These days, OCs are that creative because they have to be. Otherwise they can't stay a step ahead of innovations in coverages and blitz packages. I don't know what Liam Coen has in mind this time, but I am sure he will spread the field to take advantage of Brown, Key, TRob, Anthony, McClain, and Wilcox. That means he will need offensive linemen who can pull, play in space, play with tempo, and finish blocks at the second level without holding. Our OTs will have to be able to control the edge against smaller, quicker defenders. Our OTs will require great length and lateral quickness whereas our OGs will need to be able to work with the C to cut off blitzes in the zero gap and make a big physical push straight ahead.

He said he's 6'4 1/2 290 with an 18 size shoe. Huge kid
He might just make it at tackle. Tackles need size, and length . . . longer legs set a wider base for speed rushers to get around. They also need balance. Generally speaking, kids with big feet have good balance: think Johnny Menziel jumping
over a prone Bama d-lineman and then jumping back over him the opposite direction and not losing balance. . . . Johnny Football wore a size 16 at 6’ 2”.

Last edited:
He might just make it at tackle. Tackles need size, and length . . . longer legs set a wider base for speed rushers to get around. They also need balance. Generally speaking, kids with big feet have good balance: think Johnny Menziel jumping
over a Bama d-lineman and then jumping
back over him the opposite direction and not losing balance. . . . Johnny Football wore a size 16 at 6’ 2”.
DK didn't have typical length but was great at RT

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT