ADVERTISEMENT

So I actually talked to someone from ESPN tonight and got him to come look at this site

I doubt seriously they care what we think, but thanks for the effort. They apparently think basketball fans don't have enough of an attention span to watch basketball without some kind of gimmick to keep their attention.

I hated the split screen shots of Buzz Williams, that never seemed to end. I hate it when they do the same with Calipari at times. I understand flashing over to him to get his reactions, but the never ending split screens are brutal.

I don't care about the guy's suit or his socks or shoes, not even a little. I hate the fact that the commentators never tell who the foul was on or how many fouls they now have. Talk to me about the game. It's called "play by play" for a reason. Talk to me about strategy. Talk to me about the play that was just made. Tell me about the statistics of the team and players, and who is performing at, above, or below their norm. Talk to me about these players. It's called color commentary. Show me you have some knowledge of the game, and don't assume I care about personal items of one of your on-screen personalities. Assume I care about my team, my coach, and my players. That's what you should talk about.

I doubt seriously they care what we think, but thanks for the effort. They apparently think basketball fans don't have enough of an attention span to watch basketball without some kind of gimmick to keep their attention.

I hated the split screen shots of Buzz Williams, that never seemed to end. I hate it when they do the same with Calipari at times. I understand flashing over to him to get his reactions, but the never ending split screens are brutal.

I don't care about the guy's suit or his socks or shoes, not even a little. I hate the fact that the commentators never tell who the foul was on or how many fouls they now have. Talk to me about the game. It's called "play by play" for a reason. Talk to me about strategy. Talk to me about the play that was just made. Tell me about the statistics of the team and players, and who is performing at, above, or below their norm. Talk to me about these players. It's called color commentary. Show me you have some knowledge of the game, and don't assume I care about personal items of one of your on-screen personalities. Assume I care about my team, my coach, and my players. That's what you should talk about.
Amen dude. Especially when you can see the coaches on the sideline on the regular half court camera!!! And how do you not call who the foul is on and how many they have?? That’s kind of a big deal...seriously, this isn’t that difficult

Tell me about it. Buzz Williams got more camera time than the ball did.

Amen dude. Especially when you can see the coaches on the sideline on the regular half court camera!!! And how do you not call who the foul is on and how many they have?? That’s kind of a big deal...seriously, this isn’t that difficult
Right. It's not that hard, especially for guys who are "professionals." I could have done a better job tonight, easily. I knew when one of A&M's guards picked up his 3rd in the 2nd half, but it was no thanks to the commentators. I said to my wife "that's his third." ESPN is more worried about entertaining the audience than calling the game.

Poor form on Jimmy Dykes to be using his platform on an ESPN broadcast to promote book sales. No two ways about it. Sugarcoat how you want but it is what it is. You start allowing this, where does it end? ESPN has about 10 talk shows a day you can watch if this bullshit is your cup of tea. Somewhere along the lines ESPN started to believe their personalities are just as much of a star as the athletes are. Some of their big time personalities make more than the athletes per year.

Last edited:
This board hasnt liked a broadcast since Conley was doing them.....

Conley? I'll go with John Ferguson and Joe Dean on the TVS Saturday Game of the Week, and back before there was such a thing as cable. If you lived out in the sticks like we did, you'd be turning the antenna on the hill behind the house while looking for mom or dad to signal you to stop because you had a decent picture. On some days, it might actually be decent, and on some days it might be mostly snow and/or have "ghosts", and you'd have to try and figure out who had the ball if the audio was too noisy. I continue to be blown away by the fact that I can sit at home and watch on a 65+ inch screen with amazing clarity and can see every single UK game instead of hoping to catch a handful of them on a Saturday afternoon.

NCAAT? You'd get the regional semifinals and finals of whatever region you lived in, and then you'd get the Final Four.

NBA? You had the NBA game of the week on ABC on Sunday. On occasion, you might get a double header.

College football? You'd get a couple of games on Saturday and the Cats were rarely on. I remember watching us get demolished by IU in the late 60's, but I was so giddy to get to see UK on TV.

NFL? Come to think about it, the NFL coverage really hasn't changed much with the exception of Thursday night and Sunday night football. MNF started around 1970 I believe. I remember being really stoked about being able to watch until halftime on a school night.

I wish they would do it like the they to the championship where they have a broadcast for each team and a national broadcast. They could easily broadcast the game and then dub local talent to call the game and if they had to they could just play that here but I'm not sure that would even be necessary.

I don't necessarily need a "Homer" doing the game, just broadcasters that demonstrated that they knew at least as much as I do about the game (and I am just a fan).

For instance, when they were saying that I.Q's "self pass" was the same as the only guy's they totally missed the fact that the ball was knocked out of his hands by an opposing player which was nothing like the TA&M previous play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT