ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard is the reason UK won this game

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I'm not here to complain about his lack of playing time here or moan and groan, but this is what I will say. He made one bone headed play when he tried to make a miraculous pass and turned it over. Other than that, he made play after play, for others and on defense, and at crunch time in OT, he won the game. I know the team needs DJ and Edwards to increase their confidence and play well, but when the game is on the line, he's got to be in.

I'm glad to see DJ make some plays and Edwards make some shots, but I want Sheppard on the floor most of the game. He sat too much at the end of regulation for me. That's my 2 cents. Love them all! Go Big Blue! 😀

I'm not here to complain about his lack of playing time here or moan and groan, but this is what I will say. He made one bone headed play when he tried to make a miraculous pass and turned it over. Other than that, he made play after play, for others and on defense, and at crunch time in OT, he won the game. I know the team needs DJ and Edwards to increase their confidence and play well, but when the game is on the line, he's got to be in.

I'm glad to see DJ make some plays and Edwards make some shots, but I want Sheppard on the floor most of the game. He sat too much at the end of regulation for me. That's my 2 cents. Love them all! Go Big Blue! 😀
He is a heady player who we can count on to not have mental lapses during the course of the game.

Gonna disagree. He was part of a team effort. Mitchell doesn't hit those shots, and I"m not sure we win.

So, Tre, Reed and DJ were all integral parts of this win. It was a team win. And that's how our boys view it. And should be the way we do as well.
Mitchell was essential. He provides so much and offers a steady presence in the half court.

I'll be interested to see what this team looks like when he shares the floor with another big. Should give us another dimension which would allow us to matchup better defensively but it could hurt the offense. Guess we'll have to see the trade offs.

Having a big man who can alter/block shots is worth points. Add to that defensive rebounding and lobs at the rim and those are missing attributes of an elite team.

Mitchel won the game IMO, clutch all night
Not all night. Prior to OT, he was 2/8 from deep. And only one of those attempts was not wide open.

The two in OT were huge and brought up his percentage, but I’m not sure we want him taking this many threes. Especially when it limits the shot attempts for Reeves, Dilly, and Shepherd.

Last edited:
Cal gave him 26 minutes out of a possible 45. Only Burks played less. Dilly and Shep both played the same amount.

Wagner played a team high 36 minutes. Cal making sure his man can’t be outshined again.
I get what you're saying as I think Shep should have played more down the stretch. However, with the game Wagner had (especially in crunch time), we might be seeing a reason why DJ is "Cal's man". DJ will be a huge reason this team goes far if it does. Thankfully, he and Shep are on the same team.

I think he was a big part, but DJ was MVP tonight. He closed the game out and stopped their top scorer for the most part.

Reed stopped in the paint to ball watch and gave up a wide open three after getting beat the trip before. Was not a bad benching by Cal. It cleared Reed's head and he absolutely performed in OT

Reactions: GoBigBlue30

They call him ILL...................... GP!

As far as Reed, I like him in at crunch time too. But he and others are gambling and helping too much on defense for me. And it’s leading to wide open looks from three for the opponents. Tonight it almost cost us.
I think they have to try and create steals because of the lack of rebounding. Most of the time they are not even in the correct position to box anyone out to get the rebound. I would also have liked to see a change int eh defense just a couple of times. St. Joe ran that high pick and roll all game and every time the defense went under the screen, they got an open shot

Mitchell was essential. He provides so much and offers a steady presence in the half court.

I'll be interested to see what this team looks like when he shares the floor with another big. Should give us another dimension which would allow us to matchup better defensively but it could hurt the offense. Guess we'll have to see the trade offs.

Having a big man who can alter/block shots is worth points. Add to that defensive rebounding and lobs at the rim and those are missing attributes of an elite team.
UK better send Huggy Christmas presents all year long

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
The balance on this team (top 7) is amazing. We all have our favorites and well, not so much favorites. Most of us watch the game looking for good plays from our favorites and bad plays from others. It is very easy to see what you're looking for....even when it's not there. Every player had good and bad points last night and every player was important getting the W even if it was harder than we hoped.

I sure don't want to face that team and that big 7' freshman again.

Not all night. Prior to OT, he was 2/8 from deep. And only one of those attempts was not wide open.

The two in OT were huge and brought up his percentage, but I’m not sure we want him taking this many threes. Especially when it limits the shot attempts for Reeves, Dilly, and Shepherd.
Definitely don't need him to start hunting 3s, but I really can't remember him taking a single shot last night where he wasn't open and operating w/in the offensive flow. Thought they were all good shots.

Reactions: SmyrnaCatFan

You think exactly like I do. Cal gambled taking him off the floor and got lucky to pull this out. Could have very easily cost us yet another game because of his bias. In his post game Cal was talking about Sheppard having his mothers hands and his dads feet. Then he said he told Sheppard that when takes him out 'just come out, I am the coach.' What did he mean by that????

Anyway, Cal still messing with winning/losing our games to get Wagner and Edwards confidence up. No thought about our seeding in the tournament or treating Sheppard right. The kid should be starting and playing most of the time because he plays winning and team basketball. What kind of a lousy person would mess over a kid and sacrifice for what is best for the team?

Shep definitely has to be in at crunch time, but he got torched several times on D. That will improve. But yes, made several heady plays and we need him in at the end of games.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
You think exactly like I do. Cal gambled taking him off the floor and got lucky to pull this out. Could have very easily cost us yet another game because of his bias. In his post game Cal was talking about Sheppard having his mothers hands and his dads feet. Then he said he told Sheppard that when takes him out 'just come out, I am the coach.' What did he mean by that????

Anyway, Cal still messing with winning/losing our games to get Wagner and Edwards confidence up. No thought about our seeding in the tournament or treating Sheppard right. The kid should be starting and playing most of the time because he plays winning and team basketball. What kind of a lousy person would mess over a kid and sacrifice for what is best for the team?
I don't think Cal is lousy and I'm sure he had a reason for pulling him out, but in this case I think he was just wrong. I do agree, as others have said, that the team needs those other guys to maximize their potential, which includes more confidence in their play. But you said it- Reed plays winning basketball. No, he wasn't scoring but he was doing the little things. In overtime, when he was on the floor more, he helped the team push to a larger lead and is the reason we won, in my opinion.

Reactions: westerncat and BBUK
The balance on this team (top 7) is amazing. We all have our favorites and well, not so much favorites. Most of us watch the game looking for good plays from our favorites and bad plays from others. It is very easy to see what you're looking for....even when it's not there. Every player had good and bad points last night and every player was important getting the W even if it was harder than we hoped.

I sure don't want to face that team and that big 7' freshman again.

But,

Please play it again Sam! Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Cal gave him 26 minutes out of a possible 45. Only Burks played less. Dilly and Shep both played the same amount.

Wagner played a team high 36 minutes. Cal making sure his man can’t be outshined again.
You certainly can make a argument for that no doubt, Cal could be letting him grind in a tough game to bolster his confidence is another argument(I despise Cals coaching too) as Shepperd is a known quantity and we will need everyone at tourney time. Another point in favor of letting Wagner play was he was the only one that could slow reynolds down a little, no one else could stay with him.

I don't think Cal is lousy and I'm sure he had a reason for pulling him out, but in this case I think he was just wrong. I do agree, as others have said, that the team needs those other guys to maximize their potential, which includes more confidence in their play. But you said it- Reed plays winning basketball. No, he wasn't scoring but he was doing the little things. In overtime, when he was on the floor more, he helped the team push to a larger lead and is the reason we won, in my opinion.
The only reason I say lousy is because of not treating players the same. Why should Sheppard have to sit when he has earned being out there? Not right to me. Same with Thiero. A total team player that plays harder than anyone. Does a lot of little things that helps the team win.

Wrong is lousy when you are in a position where you cannot make mistakes.

I quit watching most pro sports, (Just realized why.) The play is watered down due to adding or expanding to where more "lesser players" could "join-in".

Major League baseball is an example. You have your stars and those playing on the same field who are lost in comparison. It was not always that way on the baseball field of the Major Leagues.

Ascribe to excellence by competing at your best.

jmusao

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT