ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard is the reason UK won this game

So, in Cal's way of thinking, since Sheppard didn't score last night, does he give him alot more playing time next game to get him going? Na, I'm just being facetious, that only applies to his favorites, aka high draft picks.
Well

To hear some people tell it, Cal should re-evaluate the minutes after every single game. I'm a big believer that you don't lose minutes early in the year. Guys should get time to figure it out.

Reed wasn't bad tonight. But he passed on some shots he needs to take.

Gonna disagree. He was part of a team effort. Mitchell doesn't hit those shots, and I"m not sure we win.

So, Tre, Reed and DJ were all integral parts of this win. It was a team win. And that's how our boys view it. And should be the way we do as well.

This.

Not so sure why this is so hard to compute for our fans.

It's like our fans can't stand that some other players played well.

Reed was good in all other areas but scoring. I also fully believe if edwards or dj had the same stat line but didn't score they would NOT be treated the same.

Reactions: bbncal02
I don't really feel like one person won the game.

It was a close game and several guys made key plays.

I mean are we just going to forget the back to back 3s by Tre? lol

I don't really feel like one person won the game.

It was a close game and several guys made key plays.

I mean are we just going to forget the back to back 3s by Tre? lol
My thoughts are individuals players dominated segments of the game. Wagner and Mitchell were the offense in overtime and made great plays, Reed was good defensively and made hustle plays all night, I would like him to be taking more than one shot though next game, dilly & reeves hit shots when needed, adou made some plays early, burks hustled, Edwards hit shots but didn’t take a lot. Overall it’s kinda of a cop out answer but each player had moments where they showed promise and moments where your like okay they need to work on this.
My two big takeaways
- work on FTs and catching the dang ball for the whole team, a lot of butter fingers tonight
- communicate better defensively through ball screens and switches on the perimeter, especially with Kentucky situation right now where they have little to no size

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Did you even look at the presser? Cal complimented the hell out of Reed.
I did. He complemented Sheppard being a plus 16 like he couldn't believe it. Talked about his good hands he got from his mom and his feet he got from his dad. Then said he told Sheppard that 'when I take you out of the game just go sit down, I am the coach.' What did he mean by that?

• Wow
Reactions: LmdCat
I’m curious as to why Reeves was out at the end? Just wondering what the thought process was for Cal there?
I believe Cal wanted to give Wagner every opportunity to play hero ball. He didn’t want Reeves or Shep taking away from that. But Mitchell stole the thunder 😊

Our worst shooter got to take 17 shots last night. Makes no sense.

You heard it here first. We’re going to be in a tight NCAAT game and Dilly and Shep will be watching the ending from the bench as Wagner throws up out of control shot after shot.

Reactions: KFuqua
I did. He complemented Sheppard being a plus 16 like he couldn't believe it. Talked about his good hands he got from his mom and his feet he got from his dad. Then said he told Sheppard that 'when I take you out of the game just go sit down, I am the coach.' What did he mean by that?
Simply that he's the coach? There's enough to gripe about and about Cal without making crap up.

I think WAAAAAY too many fans are trying to stir ish about Cal and Reed and it really needs to stop. This picture says all I need to know about their relationship:

I read most of all the post here. There were eight players who played and won this game. Wagner, Mitchell, Reeves and Dilly carried the offense, Reed stood out on defense but in the end we won the game and Wagner was the MVP and I am glad to see him and Edwards have a positive game. I don't care who is the star, I care that they play together and get the W. Great group that play off each other, when we get a big in the line up it can only get better.

Shep even when he does not score he does so many other things right, but in the overtime last night it was Mitchell who really played great he scored a big part of the points from the 3 hitting his FTs. This Ky team overall needs to work on their FTs.

I feel like the Shepard drum is beating for no reason. Kid is playing and having a great time. I too was concerned but Cal gets it. THis is a team and we kinda need to start supporting everyone. He is not the only reason we won. Wagner played very well last night. Shepard gave up several 3's last night but he still palyed very well too.

Shep even when he does not score he does so many other things right, but in the overtime last night it was Mitchell who really played great he scored a big part of the points from the 3 hitting his FTs. This Ky team overall needs to work on their FTs.
FT % for the season is over 72%; last night was 67%. I agree, some improvement needed. But not horrible.

Without doing a thorough review I’ll venture to say everybody got beat for threes and/or layups. They were quick and they made shots but we out shot them from the floor and from three so we did some things right too. They aren’t a great team but they played very good last night and it took a team effort to win.

Reactions: bbncal02
Reed spaces the floor without even shooting due to the threat of shooting the three ball.

Without doing a thorough review I’ll venture to say everybody got beat for threes and/or layups. They were quick and they made shots but we out shot them from the floor and from three so we did some things right too. They aren’t a great team but they played very good last night and it took a team effort to win.
Agree. And their 7 footer hurt us inside. When we get our bigs back, hopefully that won't be as big a factor. They also drove a lot and we failed to give weak side help; a good big would make a difference.

Reactions: crestcat
Simply that he's the coach? There's enough to gripe about and about Cal without making crap up.

I think WAAAAAY too many fans are trying to stir ish about Cal and Reed and it really needs to stop. This picture says all I need to know about their relationship:
Exactly.

Told you exactly what he said. I don't make stuff up and I don't try and stir things up. Just like human beings being treated equal and also I think every game should be about team and not just individuals.

Reactions: UKortho
Told you exactly what he said. I don't make stuff up and I don't try and stir things up. Just like human beings being treated equal and also I think every game should be about team and not just individuals.
Again, I'll let the picture speak for itself. That was after he pulled Reed. Reed seemingly doesn't have an issue here. The fans really shouldn't either.

Many times Reed's gambling turns into steals as they did tonight but it also lead to open shots that let them back in it. He needs to understand better when to gamble and when not to which he will with more experience.

Reactions: Saven and bbncal02
Again, I'll let the picture speak for itself. That was after he pulled Reed. Reed seemingly doesn't have an issue here. The fans really shouldn't either.
Yeah, that hug happened very soon after Sheppard made a steal, maybe two? with his quick hands that helped seal the game. Sheppard is of high character and is not going to cause dissension on his team.

You can argue Wagner was the reason UK won the game. His 2nd half and OT stats were very good. Best on the team in fact.

They both actually helped seal the game. Wagner went 5-6 from the FT in the OT and Reed had some clutch steals.
Wagner also played really good D on the kid who was torching us until late. I think that was the game DJ needed to get going

So, in Cal's way of thinking, since Sheppard didn't score last night, does he give him alot more playing time next game to get him going? Na, I'm just being facetious, that only applies to his favorites, aka high draft picks.
He had to make a lot of promises to the Wagner family. We will be dealing with this crap for the entire season. Wagner will never play poorly enough to not be on the court during crunch time.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomrain and UKortho
These kids are just 5 games into their freshman year. They will all have ups and downs. They will fail miserably and succeed greatly game to game. Reed possesses a calming ability and doesn’t seem to get rattled but gambles too much on defense and disappears at times. He also needs more time for his body to mature. He just can’t body up yet on defense. DJ and Edwards just need the game to slow down more. They both need as much experience as they can get so when Feb and March roll around they have that confidence. They are both physical enough to endure the physical nature of the game and will eventually let the game come to them and there won’t be as many crazy/unfortunate plays. Dilly is somewhere in the middle. He can take over a game and then look like he forgot he was playing an actual game and not a video game. He relies on his quickness which can get him in bad defensive positions . We just need to endure these growing pains because this team has potential and when the bigs come back they will need time to get through their growing pains too. So just enjoy the ride. It’s gonna be a fun one this year.

Total team effort. Mitchell made big shots. Wagner hit big free throws. Shep made the steal to seal the deal. Dillingham was solid. Edwards was better. Reeves and Thiero played well. Even Burks contributed in his short time out there.

They look like a team, more so than any Cal team in the last few years.

This is the way Cal treats players who are playing with house money.

Gonna disagree. He was part of a team effort. Mitchell doesn't hit those shots, and I"m not sure we win.

So, Tre, Reed and DJ were all integral parts of this win. It was a team win. And that's how our boys view it. And should be the way we do as well.
Dillingham made some big plays aswell

He complimented Sheppard being a +16 without scoring one point like he couldn't believe it because that's ridiculous.

You're just making up controversy where there is none.
Funny. I did not mean for it to be a negative comment, you just took it that way. Not here to make controversy and fuss. I didn't know someone would twist what I wrote or I would have been more elementary with the wording. In my mind what Cal said was how impressed he was with what Sheppard did. Did not even think of someone taking the comment wrong like you did. Shows me I better be more precise on wording so someone like you doesn't interpret it wrong.

Funny. I did not mean for it to be a negative comment, you just took it that way. Not here to make controversy and fuss. I didn't know someone would twist what I wrote or I would have been more elementary with the wording. In my mind what Cal said was how impressed he was with what Sheppard did. Did not even think of someone taking the comment wrong like you did. Shows me I better be more precise on wording so someone like you doesn't interpret it wrong.

Yeah that's my fault, apologies. I had a few beers yesterday and combined yours with another, more sarcastic post and posted that response.

He has been very good so far. I haven't felt this confident in a single UK player in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT