ADVERTISEMENT

Seems Calipari is in a tough spot.

Mar 21, 2023
If you’re Calipari who do you go with? Obviously Kentucky cannot wait on Oscar to decide, so if Dickinson is ready to commit this weekend what do you tell Oscar?

Reactions: chevyman 50
If you’re Calipari who do you go with? Obviously Kentucky cannot wait on Oscar to decide, so if Dickinson is ready to commit this weekend what do you tell Oscar?
I don’t think Dickinson is ready to commit to UK and I doubt he will after his visit. People lamenting over the time oscar is taking have to realize that everyone is slow playing it right now. There are so many moving parts and I wouldn’t be surprised if alot of guys wait until after may 11th to see what the transfer market looks like after nba declared players put into the portal. Would Dickerson commit for instance if he thinks there’s even a chance oscar returns? Oscar isn’t in the portal. Dickinson commits thinking oscar may transfer. Oscar decides to come back because some wealthy guys want him around then what?

The crazy thing is Cal use to make stuff like this work for the team. He’d bring in lots of talent, some in the same positions, and still put it together. Just seems after the negative recruiting with the 15 platoon he has played it too careful at times and it has cost him.

It will never be made public, but I have NEVER thought Cal actually wanted Oscar to return. His demeanor when saying right after the KSU loss that he didn’t think ANY of the SR’s would return spoke VOLUMES. However, if he did come back and was used as a complimentary piece to the team, he could be great with our young kids.

Dickenson would be a much better defender and shooter, but how many attempts will he get with Wagner, Dillingham, Reeves and Edwards getting the bulk of the attempts?

Is Dickenson just using UK to Jack up his NIL potential with other teams?

I’d go hard at Dickinson. You can’t risk losing both. Dickinson would be a great addition if that happens. I do love Oscar. But it’s too risky to wait and be left with neither
This is Cal you're talking about. Even his dogs are stumped.

Dog Yes GIF by HIF Australia

The crazy thing is Cal use to make stuff like this work for the team. He’d bring in lots of talent, some in the same positions, and still put it together. Just seems after the negative recruiting with the 15 platoon he has played it too careful at times and it has cost him.
This is a different monster: Same position, both high usage, both All-Americans, both can be distractions to the team, and both demand high NIL money.

It's not a Karl Towns, Dakari Johnson, and Willie Cauley-Stein situation.

I don't think it's that tough. You're not holding the spot open. You take whoever is the first to commit to being here.

Reactions: track42
Cal's been in a tough spot for several years. He often brings them on himself. And he's not done a very good job of getting himself out of these "tough spots." And I don't anticipate anything changing.
833 wins and 6 FF's tell a different story. Everywhere Cal coaches he takes to the FF.

Seems he can handle the pressure. Regardless of your anticipations.

And you have how many wins now?

• Haha
Reactions: Jont0805
I met another UK fan down here in Florida yesterday. First thing out of his mouth after I said “GBB” was, “How are we gonna get rid of that horrible coach?”

I’m telling you. NO REAL FAN wants Cal to stay. This board is infested with trolls and Cal staffers/family members. I guarantee it. ANYONE still pumping the fat man is a fraud.

It’s easy, you take the first one to commit. We cannot hold spots for players who potentially will come back. That’s a great way to get burned!
This is just a bb Benny’s concern. Cal is not concerned one way or the other. Cal is gonna Cal.

The deadline is in like 3 weeks to return to school right? Dickenson visits at the end of April. Tell him to be patient until the deadline. If Oscar leaves it’s his spot, if he comes back well we will still take you but there’s competition.

At this point, promise everyone PT. Pay everyone as much as you can. Add as many players.

Rather be in that position than staring at a 6-man rotation with 2 injuries and needing players to play 30-35 minutes per game.

The last two seasons, the team simply got worn out due to lack of depth. NOT the lack of depth in March (a rotation of 7-8 is fine), but the depth needed to get wins during the season at less than 100%.

Reactions: dl51344
The deadline is in like 3 weeks to return to school right? Dickenson visits at the end of April. Tell him to be patient until the deadline. If Oscar leaves it’s his spot, if he comes back well we will still take you but there’s competition.
Nope. The deadline is 5/31 to return. Too long to wait. Have to take Dickinson if he is ready to commit.

I agree a bit with this. The platoon system, which obviously worked to create a great team, has been used against Cal in recruiting because kids want minutes. So, he has lost out on recruits that were worried that they may not get the minutes or shots they want. If you can get all of the best players to buy in to a team concept where minutes and points are not as important as wins, it can be replicated, but I think it is a difficult sell in the NIL era.

Honestly, I want Dickinson…pretty badly. Even tho I think Oscar is one of the greatest to ever for play for UK, on and off the court, I think Hunter is a better fit for next years team. We need attitude. We need some rude guys. Dickinson also has the ability to come out and knock down a 3. I just feel he would do really well with us next year.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I just question if Dickinson is serious with us. I think he likes the attention. And I expect some boosters to throw some big $$$ at him. But I don't think he wants to be 1 of 4/5 stars, he wants to be the man and then a lottery pick.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't want to see us played. But I can't see the kid coming here, under THIS spotlight and getting everything he wants.

Reactions: Girthang
I agree a bit with this. The platoon system, which obviously worked to create a great team, has been used against Cal in recruiting because kids want minutes. So, he has lost out on recruits that were worried that they may not get the minutes or shots they want. If you can get all of the best players to buy in to a team concept where minutes and points are not as important as wins, it can be replicated, but I think it is a difficult sell in the NIL era.
I don't think it was just the platoon itself that's been used negatively against Cal, but the fact that he underachieved with it. Opposing coaches are going to say "why go there to win a title when UK couldn't do it with a loaded roster, and you STILL lose out on starting minutes?"

• Love
Reactions: Girthang
I don't understand why the platoon system would have worked against Cal in future recruits

that was one of the best college basketball teams ever, guys who didn't start got drafted and are making serious jack in the league. If there was ever a time to leverage the Kentucky is an NBA farm team, its this years playoffs

I recognize the NIL makes that a different animal, but a kid demanding 32 minutes a game for Kentucky better be John Wall part II.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Mehico
NIL has to find its own level. I think the system is a little drunk with money right now. Few programs (we might be one) can sustain the kind of money being thrown around. But I suppose EVERY team could afford 1 or 2 stars. I dunno, it has to sort itself out.

I don't think it was just the platoon itself that's been used negatively against Cal, but the fact that he underachieved with it. Opposing coaches are going to say "why go there to win a title when UK couldn't do it with a loaded roster, and you STILL lose out on starting minutes?"
He didn't underachieve. He was 38-0 and got beat in a close game, by a good team, after Poythress got hurt. The best team rarely wins. To say that team underachieved is being unfair, naïve, or just ignorant.

Reactions: 3Eye and CatTough
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT