ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Basketball is an embarrassment

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
The fact that they are getting 7-8 teams in the tournament but crapping the bed every year has to be embarrassing to the league office. To get any respect on a national level these teams like Bama, UT, Auburn and Arkansas are going to have to start winning games and a title or the SEC will just be overrated like the Big 10.

The fact that they are getting 7-8 teams in the tournament but crapping the bed every year has to be embarrassing to the league office. To get any respect on a national level these teams like Bama, UT, Auburn and Arkansas are going to have to start winning games and a title or the SEC will just be overrated like the Big 10.
Hell, we need to get back to winning games. At least those teams won some big regular season out of conference matchups while we were getting ran off the floor.
Sadly it won’t change for us until CCC is gone.

I agree that I would rather see a mid major who had a great season but maybe slipped up in their tournament over a 13 loss team from the power conferences. Those teams are rewarded too much for being in a power conference. I get that they play a tougher schedule but as Cal says you don't have to win them all but you can't lose them all.

Seems to me like this year every so called big conference was left sitting out in the cold, parity maybe catching up.

The SEC couldn’t care less about basketball. They are happy to get the extra money because teams get in. After that it’s on to spring football.

If the SEC wanted to support basketball the first thing they would do is hire competent officials.

Instead they get any retread they can find.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about how good the SEC is or isn't year to year. I care about UK, that's it.

There is not one SEC team I pull for in the tournament, unless they are playing Louisville or Indiana. I hate Duke, but was pulling big time for them to knock out Tennessee.

I am more concerned at this point about how UK can regain respect on a national level, not how SEC performs in the tournament.

Ummm ... who is going to tell this guy it's not just Bama, UT, Auburn, or Arkansas that has been crapping the bed every year?

Outside of Bama, seems like most SEC teams played to their seed or even a little above it. 3 teams in the S16 isn’t terrible, granted none made it past it.

Bama had the hype and they crapped the bed as the top seed.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Outside of Bama, seems like most SEC teams played to their seed or even a little above it. 3 teams in the S16 isn’t terrible, granted none made it past it.

Bama had the hype and they crapped the bed as the top seed.
Except Mizzou, they should have made the sweet 16 the minute zona got beat

Yeah, I thought about them and Texas AM. But that’s the nature of the tournament. Overall, I think the SEC did okay in the NCAAT. Nothing great, but nothing terrible.
They did, like you said outside bama who should still be playing, and Kentucky just because I’m a fan and will Always think they should win

If UK isn't leading the SEC in BB do they even have BB? Cal can't leave soon enough. He can take Barney, and the Cal nuthuggers with him. (I can dream, can't I?)

• Love
Reactions: ukjenning44
SEC Final Four teams

Auburn 2019
South Carolina 2017
Kentucky 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015
Florida 2000, 2006, 2007, 2014
LSU 2006

That’s it for the last 23 years. You’d have to back to 1996 to find a different SEC team that made the final four.

The SEC couldn’t care less about basketball. They are happy to get the extra money because teams get in. After that it’s on to spring football.

If the SEC wanted to support basketball the first thing they would do is hire competent officials.

Instead they get any retread they can find.
No conference has competent officials. There’s relative degrees of awfulness in the college game.

Reactions: bevcat
What's embarrassing is us making fun of the rest of the SEC when we have won one tournament game in the last 3 years. FWIW
I don't think anyone, especially me, is acting like it is everyone but UK. We definitely as the flagship program need to do better but these other teams need to get to the final four or win some titles.

But we at least have 9 titles compared to 2 for the rest of the league so have we been reaching expectations? No but we have historically done more than anyone else in the leaue.
I couldn't possibly care less how the rest of the league is doing in the tournament when we are doing poorly ourselves. Clearly we have been the cream of the crop historically. I'd like to keep it that way, I really don't think it matters how well anyone else in the league is doing.

I don't think anyone, especially me, is acting like it is everyone but UK. We definitely as the flagship program need to do better but these other teams need to get to the final four or win some titles.
Why? Who cares?

One loss and out tourneys are the best for a reason. Anyone can be beat. SEC, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, PAC 10 all get multiple every year and most years all lose games earlier than they should. No embarrassment to each league office. It still takes a little luck (most years) to pull out 6 games in March/April. Sure you have UK or IU with years where you knew they were going to win (and they still had tough games). But fact is there are too many teams in the tourney now (for TV sake). Should be 1 auto bid (Conf Tourney Winner) and maybe 1 at large bid per conference. The play the games. 31 auto qualifiers and 31 selections (one from each conference) then play the games. Yeah it does not work out to the brackets 31 total first round games so maybe 2 other at large teams (highest ranked teams left out). Something like that. Would be a more enjoyable tourney.

I think it has been established that you don't since you have mansplained it several times. Feel free to move on to another thread that you want to complain about if this one irks you that much. 🙄
Fair, but hey that's what message boards are for. I have never been able to wrap my head around the concern for how other teams from the SEC are doing in the tournament.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about how good the SEC is or isn't year to year. I care about UK, that's it.

There is not one SEC team I pull for in the tournament, unless they are playing Louisville or Indiana. I hate Duke, but was pulling big time for them to knock out Tennessee.

I am more concerned at this point about how UK can regain respect on a national level, not how SEC performs in the tournament.
I totally agree with your first sentence, but cmon man. Under ZERO circumstances should ANYONE EVER pull for Duke lol. I was soooo glad Tennessee knocked them on their ass and curb stomped them. I get so sick and tired of Jay Bilas and other "analysts" crying about how Duke should have been a 3 seed blah blah blah, they are the hottest team in the country..blah blah blah! Sorry had to rant about that.

Fair, but hey that's what message boards are for. I have never been able to wrap my head around the concern for how other teams from the SEC are doing in the tournament.
I don't necessarily care other than the fact a guy I know is a fan of an ACC team and he is constantly ribbing me over how the ACC does compared to the SEC. To be honest the SEC teams usually root against UK in the tournament and for that they all deserve to lose every game they play but for my sanity they need to do at least better than the ACC. 😂

I totally agree with your first sentence, but cmon man. Under ZERO circumstances should ANYONE EVER pull for Duke lol. I was soooo glad Tennessee knocked them on their ass and curb stomped them. I get so sick and tired of Jay Bilas and other "analysts" crying about how Duke should have been a 3 seed blah blah blah, they are the hottest team in the country..blah blah blah! Sorry had to rant about that.
They had went on a win streak because they played 2 Quad 1 games from December 6th until the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: gharding07
They had went on a win streak because they played 2 Quad 1 games from December 6th until the NCAA tournament.
Exactly. And its a common theme that what you do in your conference tournament means absolutely nothing when the ncaa tournament starts. Ask Arizona, Purdue, Alabama how that worked out haha.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I don't necessarily care other than the fact a guy I know is a fan of an ACC team and he is constantly ribbing me over how the ACC does compared to the SEC. To be honest the SEC teams usually root against UK in the tournament and for that they all deserve to lose every game they play but for my sanity they need to do at least better than the ACC. 😂
That's my sticking point. None of these clowns around the SEC are ever rooting for UK. I live in Tennessee and I can assure you they are all rooting for UK to lose in the tournament. Same for every other fan of an SEC team. If we are handling our business they can all lose early for all I care. Give me a hard time about the SEC if you want, ACC fan. I'm a fan of Kentucky and that's it. That's what I would say to your boy :D

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Exactly. And its a common theme that what you do in your conference tournament means absolutely nothing when the ncaa tournament starts. Ask Arizona, Purdue, Alabama how that worked out haha.
When I watched the ESPN selection show and the whole panel picked Duke to win it all I just laughed. They are supposed to be experts and yet they think this team who struggled to win in a league that was hot garbage all year was going to go on a magical run because they were on a "hot streak".

Reactions: gharding07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT