ADVERTISEMENT

Which conference champ is strongest?

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I'm looking at these conference champs with only 3 losses and wondering if they've benefited from weaker competition or if they're really that good?

Houston 28-3 Big 12
UConn 28-3 Big East
Purdue 28-3 Big 10

How do the top 5 SEC teams compare to the top of those leagues? Take Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, and Kentucky and put them in those 3 conferences, how do they do?

My opinion is that the SEC is the strongest conference overall this season with the strongest teams top to bottom. We don't have any teams with 5 or less losses because of the competition in the league. I will say, having the top league doesn't mean you have the best overall team, but I'm just wondering what you all think. How legit are these 3 teams with only 3 losses each?

All 3 pass the eye test.

I say purdue is best matchup for UK but would be a tough game.

I wonder which of those 3 would fear UK matchup the most. I'm sure none of them get the warm and fuzziness if UK is their opponent either.

I think the sec is the strongest conference and will do better than big 12 in tourney for sure.
I agree, but it’s always remarkable how our conference mates seem to bow out before they should.

I think all three are damn good teams and would all be threats to win the SEC this year. Not saying that would happen, but I’m no hater and give credit where it’s due. I don’t relish playing any of them.

I agree, but it’s always remarkable how our conference mates seem to bow out before they should.
I think SEC officiating kills us in the tournament. Some are taught to foul at Will, hands all over on drives. Alabama and Ky try to play NBA defense. SEC teams run into officiating unlike what they see in the regular season

All 3 pass the eye test.

I say purdue is best matchup for UK but would be a tough game.

I wonder which of those 3 would fear UK matchup the most. I'm sure none of them get the warm and fuzziness if UK is their opponent either.

I think the sec is the strongest conference and will do better than big 12 in tourney for sure.
Houston because they have a great defense , particularly on the perimeter. We still aren’t a good defensive team and anyone that could slow us down would be a problem

Houston because they have a great defense , particularly on the perimeter. We still aren’t a good defensive team and anyone that could slow us down would be a problem
May not be a great defensive team but our biggest weakness was our softness. We didn’t play soft at all against a physical UT team. That bodes well for the NCAAs imo.

Maybe Houston wins it since the Big East wasn't near the gauntlet the Big 12 was this year after adding 4 teams. UConn might repeat but history is against them. Purdue had 22 Quad 1 & 2 games if we put much stock into that computer poll.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I think SEC officiating kills us in the tournament. Some are taught to foul at Will, hands all over on drives. Alabama and Ky try to play NBA defense. SEC teams run into officiating unlike what they see in the regular season
Yeah, I'm guessing you're right on this. We have several teams who play a very physical style, namely South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Miss St to give a few who might make the NCAA-T. As soon as those teams are dealing with officials who won't allow their physicality, they'll be in trouble, and their fans will be very angry their top players are fouling out. Those Tennessee fans were complaining, from all reports, about the foul situation on Saturday. But they're gonna really have a hard time as soon as Tennessee faces a name team from another conference and they get called for ALL of their fouls. And South Carolina may lose their entire starting 5 in game one.

And this is why our conference allowing those teams to play that way does more harm than good in the long run.

Reactions: bfawns
This has nothing to do with conferences. But I think Houston is the most vulnerable of the 3. Houston goes on long scoring droughts. I know elite defense and all but they won't be able to completely shut down elite offences either.
Purdue I think will make a run after a couple early exits last couple years. Remember Virginia? Bounced by a 16 seed one year to chanps the next.
I don't however think Purdue is a title threat. I think elite 8 is their ceiling.
UConn is the best of the 3 IMO. But I don't think they repeat. They were the best team last year and they won it.
I think they are the best team this year. But the best team rarely wins this one and done tournament. My guess is someone knocks them out either in the sweet 16 or elite 8 game.

I think Houston is the best team. The Big 12 is probably the best conference. At least at the top end.

Houston is a 1 seed. 1 of Baylor and Iowa State will be a 2. The other a 3. Kansas is likely a 4 seed, though may still be gifted a 3 seed. Texas is another solid team.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I think Purdue and UCONN would win the SEC.
Purdue actually beat TN on a neutral court.
Houston I’m not so sure about.

I think KY is the only SEC team with a real chance to survive the first weekend of the NCAAT.

This has nothing to do with conferences. But I think Houston is the most vulnerable of the 3. Houston goes on long scoring droughts. I know elite defense and all but they won't be able to completely shut down elite offences either.
Purdue I think will make a run after a couple early exits last couple years. Remember Virginia? Bounced by a 16 seed one year to chanps the next.
I don't however think Purdue is a title threat. I think elite 8 is their ceiling.
UConn is the best of the 3 IMO. But I don't think they repeat. They were the best team last year and they won it.
I think they are the best team this year. But the best team rarely wins this one and done tournament. My guess is someone knocks them out either in the sweet 16 or elite 8 game.
Uconn was not thought of as the best team or anything close to it going into the tournament last year. They were a 4 seed and the 12th highest pick to win in brackets. The presumed favorite was Houston followed by Kansas and Bama all 1 seeds.

Uconn was not thought of as the best team or anything close to it going into the tournament last year. They were a 4 seed and the 12th highest pick to win in brackets. The presumed favorite was Houston followed by Kansas and Bama all 1 seeds.
Uconn was absolutely thought of as one of the favorites last year going into the tournament They had a healthy team by March last year and were destroying teams heading into the tournament

Uconn was absolutely thought of as one of the favorites last year going into the tournament They had a healthy team by March last year and were destroying teams heading into the tournament
They were the 8th highest favorite in Vegas behind Houston, Kansas, Alabama, Purdue, UCLA, Arizona, Gonzaga, and tied with Texas. I would say the top 5/6 could be favorites… 8/9 is pushing it. The entire Elite 8 can be “favorites”?

They were the 8th highest favorite in Vegas behind Houston, Kansas, Alabama, Purdue, UCLA, Arizona, Gonzaga, and tied with Texas. I would say the top 5/6 could be favorites… 8/9 is pushing it. The entire Elite 8 can be “favorites”?
They were playing better than any team in the nation heading into the tournament. Many people were predicting them to win it all.

The consensus is that the Big 12 is pretty good this season..........so definitely not Houston.

All those teams are good tho and deserving of the seeding they are going to get.

FWIW Efficiency Margin
1. Houston 32.89
2. Uconn 31.29
3. Purdue 29.73

So in theory Houston would be favored over either.

I think Houston is the strongest. They've got grown men everywhere on the court. Will be interesting to see if their offense, not defense fails them when they run into a team that can score at will.

They were playing better than any team in the nation heading into the tournament. Many people were predicting them to win it all.
about 2% of people if you look at brackets or 5.88% if you use Vegas as their odds entering the tournament were +1600 to win it. I don't know if that counts as many...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT