ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Story: Oats coming to Kentucky for a rehearsal?

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
It’s a good time to be Nate Oats. When the Alabama men’s basketball coach brings the No. 13 Crimson Tide (19-7, 11-2 SEC) to Lexington to face No. 17 Kentucky (18-8, 8-5 SEC) Saturday at 4 p.m. at Rupp Arena, Bama will carry a one-game lead over No. 5 Tennessee (20-5, 10-3 SEC) in the Southeastern Conference standings. The Crimson Tide are pursuing their third SEC men’s hoops regular-season title in the past 4 seasons. Since Alabama made the hire of Oats, 49, before the 2019-20 season, the former Buffalo Bulls head man has done something no one could have foreseen: He has made Bama — Nick Saban’s Alabama! — the SEC’s most-successful men’s hoops program. Since Oats moved to Tuscaloosa, overall wins by SEC programs are: 1. Alabama 111; 2. Arkansas 108; 3. Auburn 107; 3. Tennessee 107; 5. Kentucky 100.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/article285784231.html#storylink=cpy

Oats would be fantastic at UK. He's bold and brash and doesn't take prisoners. Basically, he's swaggy Cal before he turned into Saggy Cal.
From this thread here are my thoughts. I really DO hope that Cal pooped his pants after hearing about this article in the local newspaper. You know he's heard about it. My other thought is does Oats put up with primadonnas, push the NBA agenda, allow guys to continue going out there time after time after time not playing defense and grabbing rebounds?

One of the things I like about Oats is that he's from Wisconsin, and played in that state for a no-name D2 school. That means there would be no alma mater tempting him to come home. Who would want to move back to Wisconsin anyway?

Hurley's still my first choice but the idea of Oats is growing on me. Personality wise he's a better fit for UK than Scott Drew. Only 49 years old, only been a head coach since 2016, has a winning record against every SEC team except one. Tournament success is lacking so far but that shouldn't be a firm prerequisite

Same. And then Tommy Loyd imo.

But Mitch likely won’t make the Oats call bc of personality preferences and the Brandon Miller issue even tho that went far above Oats and to state and university authorities.
If Oats were at Kentucky and the Miller thing had happened here, higher powers would have made sure he didn't play. That's the difference between Alabama and Kentucky.

Oats has to understand we are not comparing him to Cal and we want refreshing. He's taking a blue blood job that will make his resume for the rest of his career. It wouldn't bother me if he meet Cal at mid court and tells him he's coming for his job. That's the type attitude we need around Lexington. It's over Calipari get the hell out the way.

You know Cal pooped his pants after seeing this in his own local newspaper
I hope he does read it and it lights a fire under him and we actually start playing our best lineups. Sadly it will just make him double down so he can say he did it his way

Reactions: catzcan
It’s a good time to be Nate Oats. When the Alabama men’s basketball coach brings the No. 13 Crimson Tide (19-7, 11-2 SEC) to Lexington to face No. 17 Kentucky (18-8, 8-5 SEC) Saturday at 4 p.m. at Rupp Arena, Bama will carry a one-game lead over No. 5 Tennessee (20-5, 10-3 SEC) in the Southeastern Conference standings. The Crimson Tide are pursuing their third SEC men’s hoops regular-season title in the past 4 seasons. Since Alabama made the hire of Oats, 49, before the 2019-20 season, the former Buffalo Bulls head man has done something no one could have foreseen: He has made Bama — Nick Saban’s Alabama! — the SEC’s most-successful men’s hoops program. Since Oats moved to Tuscaloosa, overall wins by SEC programs are: 1. Alabama 111; 2. Arkansas 108; 3. Auburn 107; 3. Tennessee 107; 5. Kentucky 100.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/article285784231.html#storylink=cpy
Do you suppose we could trade our HOF coach for Nates and a player to be named later, maybe throw in 3 first round draft picks.

Maybe Oats can do something in March for a change...Bama was loaded last yr, and crapped their pants against SDSU.

Traditionally, Oats lives by the 3, and dies by the 3. Generally speaking, that is not a sustainable brand of winning basketball.

a) They used to say the same thing about Rick Pitino. Every coach couldn’t break through until they broke through.

b) You’re putting Kentucky expectations on Alabama - that should tell you something.

c) Kentucky elevates coaches.

a) They used to say the same thing about Rick Pitino. Every coach couldn’t break through until they broke through.

b) You’re putting Kentucky expectations on Alabama - that should tell you something.

c) Kentucky elevates coaches.
Rick Pitino went to the FF with Providence before ever coaching at UK..what the heck has Oats accomplished that comes close to that (besides proving to everyone what crappy character he has)??? Poor example.

I would never want him representing UK...

• Haha
Reactions: Midway Cat
Hurley's still my first choice but the idea of Oats is growing on me. Personality wise he's a better fit for UK than Scott Drew. Only 49 years old, only been a head coach since 2016, has a winning record against every SEC team except one. Tournament success is lacking so far but that shouldn't be a firm prerequisite
I'll take Shooter Flatch over CCC at this point....

Last edited:
Oh you can bet Cal seen the article and it was a major insult to him . It’s scary to me Mitch could hire someone much worse than Cal

If Oats were at Kentucky and the Miller thing had happened here, higher powers would have made sure he didn't play. That's the difference between Alabama and Kentucky.
And anyone who thinks that Oats orchestrated this cover up is insane.

That decision came from the top of UA athletics, maybe even Birmingham. Black eye for the SEC if they didn't sweep it under the rug and let it disappear.

At the very least, the local DA had to be involved.

Oh you can bet Cal seen the article and it was a major insult to him . It’s scary to me Mitch could hire someone much worse than Cal
Would not be surprised to see Bama kick ours this Saturday. Cal can't guard the 3 point line.

Rick Pitino went to the FF with Providence before ever coaching at UK..what the heck has Oats accomplished that comes close to that (besides proving to everyone what crappy character he has)??? Poor example.

I would never want him representing UK...
Not sure about his character but He’s proven he can win the sec regular season and tournaments and get top 5 rankings at a football school.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT