ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Story: Oats coming to Kentucky for a rehearsal?

People who think Oats is some offensive genius should probably look a little deeper into the numbers. That outdated Cal offense everyone complained about last year scored more points possession than Bama did. And it scored more points per possession than Bama in 2022. And in 2020.
I could not care less if he is an offensive genius or not. All I know is that he wins at a high clip and that's literally all that matters.

I just don’t see it. Don’t think he’s the guy. There is a list of 3-4 guys that get a call before him. All have been named here.

It’s a good time to be Nate Oats. When the Alabama men’s basketball coach brings the No. 13 Crimson Tide (19-7, 11-2 SEC) to Lexington to face No. 17 Kentucky (18-8, 8-5 SEC) Saturday at 4 p.m. at Rupp Arena, Bama will carry a one-game lead over No. 5 Tennessee (20-5, 10-3 SEC) in the Southeastern Conference standings. The Crimson Tide are pursuing their third SEC men’s hoops regular-season title in the past 4 seasons. Since Alabama made the hire of Oats, 49, before the 2019-20 season, the former Buffalo Bulls head man has done something no one could have foreseen: He has made Bama — Nick Saban’s Alabama! — the SEC’s most-successful men’s hoops program. Since Oats moved to Tuscaloosa, overall wins by SEC programs are: 1. Alabama 111; 2. Arkansas 108; 3. Auburn 107; 3. Tennessee 107; 5. Kentucky 100.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/article285784231.html#storylink=cpy
Wow Cal’s got us at 5th in the SEC with the most wins since Oats has been at Bama….UK at 5th just in our own conference man Cal is burning this b$&tch down….

It's not like Cal had a saintly reputation before coming to UK. BCG made Mitch change his criteria. If Cal keep taking UK into a dumpster then maybe he won't have an issue with Oats or Pearl. Cal also didn't have a title pre-UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: TM2013 and cathouse
That young dude at LSU did a masterful job of making in game adjustments last night......

Don't know if he can recruit, but he can certainly coach.
The scary thing is that Cal makes a bunch of average coaches look like Red Auerbach. We're fawning over guys that only look good when they play UK--they don't have to gameplan much to outcoach our bloated has-been

Ralph you make some excellent points….but if we can get Scott Drew (and I think we can) I’d rather have the guy who won the championship with the best team. Rather than the guy who couldn’t even make the Final Four with the best team. There is room to respectfully disagree here and I suspect you might. But Drew has enough post-season success for me and Oates doesn’t yet. And I rate Baylor at the same level of resources and program as I do Bama.
I don't dislike Drew idea at all. I just wonder how hungry he's been after winning the championship? Oats is still climbing and he has shown he can win in the SEC and consistently. Pretty open to anything that doesn't include hearing how "crazy" people are because they want to see the team win and contend with the resources UK offers the HC.

Rick Pitino went to the FF with Providence before ever coaching at UK..what the heck has Oats accomplished that comes close to that (besides proving to everyone what crappy character he has)??? Poor example.

I would never want him representing UK...
Not an Oats fan either. His teams seem thuggish overall

Maybe Oats can do something in March for a change...Bama was loaded last yr, and crapped their pants against SDSU.

Traditionally, Oats lives by the 3, and dies by the 3. Generally speaking, that is not a sustainable brand of winning basketball.

Well, Oats had 1 loaded team compared to how many loaded teams Calipari had - and what has Calipari done lately with all of that talent? Anything can happen in NCAA tournament, but if you give Oats the brand of UK - he will get those players still and have more loaded classes and more of an opportunity to showcase in tournament.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Rick Pitino went to the FF with Providence before ever coaching at UK..what the heck has Oats accomplished that comes close to that (besides proving to everyone what crappy character he has)??? Poor example.

I would never want him representing UK...
And Bill Self had been to ZERO final fours and one elite eight before Kansas hired him . The character thing is a matter of opinion.

To me, everything is on the table, including firing Mitch B. Dewayne Peevy can step right back in and I have confidence he will hire the right guy. In my 45 years here on earth I’ve never been as down on UK Basketball as I am right now. This program doesn’t take a backseat to anybody and we don’t settle. No man, no matter how pompous is more important than the program. His job, and the job for every coach who has ever been here is to be a good steward of the program. That means the program comes first and that is not open to any debate or interpretation. It really makes me wonder why Mitch passed on him after Tubby left for Minnesota. BCG was “the” coach at the time. Little did we know he was just not ready for the job. This clown we have now has never been about the program. He readily admits it. There are lots of names out there and many qualified coaches who would love this job. I want the first question at their press conference to be “Why did you take this job?” That’s the most important question and the only question I need an answer to.
Dewayne Peevey is doing a horrible job as AD at DePaul and he doesn’t even have to worry about a football program there . Which brings up the point that , I don’t want Dewayne Peevey to have anything to do with our football program. He and Cal were joined at the hip when he was here .

The next AD has to be capable of developing strong corporate relationships.

If you think the 80's was bad with booster influence, the 2020's of NIL says hold my beer

Don't be surprised one day when they are introducing players and you hear (just making up a players name)

starting at Small Forward - Eric Wall sponsored by Comargo Cadillac

and he will be wearing a uniform that looks like it was designed by NASCAR or a Soccer Kit

I'd seriously consider a sports agent with a reputation for integrity as an AD

• Angry
Reactions: NociHTTP
McMahon, the LSU coach was the coach at Murray State when they were so successful. With the Ja Morant team and the team a couple years ago, that if I'm not mistaken, was either top 10 or just outside toward the end of the regular season. He is a great X and Os coach. He took over a decimated LSU program with 1 player from the Wade regime and now in his second year is knocking off SEC leaders and knocking on the door of the NCAA. I am a Murray St. alum and have thought for years how much better of a coach he is than the clown we have now. If you gave him our talent this year. I would bet everything I own we would be a #1 seed. I know he wont be considered, but he is a bright young coach who will be very successful.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
The next AD has to be capable of developing strong corporate relationships.

If you think the 80's was bad with booster influence, the 2020's of NIL says hold my beer

Don't be surprised one day when they are introducing players and you hear (just making up a players name)

starting at Small Forward - Eric Wall sponsored by Comargo Cadillac

and he will be wearing a uniform that looks like it was designed by NASCAR or a Soccer Kit

I'd seriously consider a sports agent with a reputation for integrity as an AD
If that moment arrives, and they're wearing corporate-sponsored uniforms or being announced on behalf of a corporation, then I'm out as a fan. That's a hard line for me.

Reactions: WildcatforLife1965
The main problem is that there is no Mike Pratt to intervene. Who will take that role now? Former players that built this program need to be involved.
As long as it's not former Cal players, for the most part. I don't want some dude coaching our kids to avoid body contact or be lazy in order to conserve energy and this get more minutes.

And Bill Self had been to ZERO final fours and one elite eight before Kansas hired him . The character thing is a matter of opinion.
Bill Self took both Tulsa and Illinois to the Elite 8...not sure where you are getting your information from.

When has Oats accomplished anything like that?

Reactions: Rockford
Well, Oats had 1 loaded team compared to how many loaded teams Calipari had - and what has Calipari done lately with all of that talent? Anything can happen in NCAA tournament, but if you give Oats the brand of UK - he will get those players still and have more loaded classes and more of an opportunity to showcase in tournament.
I am not comparing Cal to Oats...the thread is about hiring Oats as a replacement. I don't want him.

His style of play is not conducive to success in March. And he seems to have some major character flaws.

First, Mitch is NOT getting fired. He is considered one of the best AD's in the country. Works closely with the NCAA, and serves on their boards and committee's.

Who Mitch will or will not try get for UK coach, probably only Mitch knows. Everyone thinks Scott Drew is his #1, and maybe he is. I am not sure Drew leaves Baylor for the fishbowl that is UK. He's a god there.. and has already won 1 championship there.

And Calipari is not getting fired from UK this year or anytime in the next several years regardless of our on court record. (unless he does something illegal, very unethical)... Yea its not up to our standards, but he will still win 20+ games a year.

We are like every other fanbase out there. Whoever the top 5 hottest coaches at the moment are, are the ones on our list. So yeah Oats will be on our list at the moment.

UK is not just recruiting, development, coaching, etc. as we know, its a big job with boosters and fans... and now NIL... I suspect our next coach will be more of an up and coming person (like Dusty May).

I don't know...I could be wrong, but why do I feel like N.O. is basically Calipari 2.0? He'll come in, have a few good-to-great seasons, maybe even win a championship, seemingly revamping UK's program to a national power house, but then his offense gets exposed. Throw in a few misses on the recruiting trail, and we have the same tired discussions of "what might have been"... What I do know is Cal's opportunity has passed him by. We're a joke to other Blue Blood schools, and need a change.

I am not comparing Cal to Oats...the thread is about hiring Oats as a replacement. I don't want him.

His style of play is not conducive to success in March. And he seems to have some major character flaws.
Ummm...this fanbase is 100% crazy. That is what makes UK fans the most passionate, yet one of the most unbearable in all of sports.

Only on this forum can we have a 10 pg thread dissecting why player A didn't high five player B on the way to the bench, or why player C isn't smiling, or why player D has a certain body language.

Why do all you fans that dislike Cal spend so much time hanging onto his every word? So stupid. If I dislike someone, I couldn't care less what they say, as I will just ignore them altogether. If Cal drives some of you guys to utter contempt of him, stop listening to him. Unbelievable.
After reading your criticisms of our fanbase on this post you made recently, you dont sound like a UK fan to me.

Cool so basketball media aren't a bunch of pansies like the football media I guess 😭😂😂 football media would never have the balls for that. N

After reading your criticisms of our fanbase on this post you made recently, you dont sound like a UK fan to me.
Wait a sec...so because I know (not think) that our fanbase is crazy, and because I don't want Oats as UKs next coach, that somehow indicates I am not a UK fan?

Good grief...since you are digging up old posts of mine, maybe you should look through all my posts to see all the complimentary posts I have made about our team and program.

Woof, what an awful take.

First, Mitch is NOT getting fired. He is considered one of the best AD's in the country. Works closely with the NCAA, and serves on their boards and committee's.

Who Mitch will or will not try get for UK coach, probably only Mitch knows. Everyone thinks Scott Drew is his #1, and maybe he is. I am not sure Drew leaves Baylor for the fishbowl that is UK. He's a god there.. and has already won 1 championship there.

And Calipari is not getting fired from UK this year or anytime in the next several years regardless of our on court record. (unless he does something illegal, very unethical)... Yea its not up to our standards, but he will still win 20+ games a year.

We are like every other fanbase out there. Whoever the top 5 hottest coaches at the moment are, are the ones on our list. So yeah Oats will be on our list at the moment.

UK is not just recruiting, development, coaching, etc. as we know, its a big job with boosters and fans... and now NIL... I suspect our next coach will be more of an up and coming person (like Dusty May).
Well hell let’s just sit back and accept mediocrity then. You have a defeatist attitude. Accept what’s coming because there’s no way to change it? Step aside.

Wait a sec...so because I know (not think) that our fanbase is crazy, and because I don't want Oats as UKs next coach, that somehow indicates I am not a UK fan?

Good grief...since you are digging up old posts of mine, maybe you should look through all my posts to see all the complimentary posts I have made about our team and program.

Woof, what an awful take.
I’m not sold on oats myself, so no that’s not at all what I’m saying. I actually didn’t say that to you. You say all of our fans are unbearable. Is that a common thing for a UK fan to say? No I don’t think so. Then you cried about fans complaining about Calipari on a UK message board. Lmao

Woof, you made an awful post. A really dumb one.

I’m not sold on oats myself, so no that’s not at all what I’m saying. I actually didn’t say that to you. You say all of our fans are unbearable. Is that a common thing for a UK fan to say? No I don’t think so. Then you cried about fans complaining about Calipari on a UK message board. Lmao

Woof, you made an awful post. A really dumb one.
Dude, get a grip. Never once did I say all our fans are unbearable. You need to slow down and actually read before replying to one's post...

And I 100% stand by what I said. We have one of the most passionate and unbearable fanbases in all of sports. There is nothing inaccurate about that. It's the exact same as the Yankees, or Celtics, or Knicks, or Lakers, or Patriots, or Cowboys, or Bama football...the list goes on.

Really not a hard concept to understand...

Oates allowed that one guy who basically supplied a killer with a gun to stay on the team. This year he pushed a Missouri player also. He is a bit of a headcase, he runs a good style of offense. I don't want any SEC coach to replace cal. Don't like Pearl or Muscleman. I'd take Baylor or Connecticut's coach. Even though UConns' probably won't ever leave.

Oates Pushes player

Oates allowed that one guy who basically supplied a killer with a gun to stay on the team. This year he pushed a Missouri player also. He is a bit of a headcase, he runs a good style of offense. I don't want any SEC coach to replace cal. Don't like Pearl or Muscleman. I'd take Baylor or Connecticut's coach. Even though UConns' probably won't ever leave.

Oates Pushes player
Kinda like Cal still kept recruiting Tyreek Evans. Even after he drove his cousin to kill somebody?

Reactions: TM2013
I didn't even want Cal when we got him really. I was good after winning but Oates hasn't done jack in the tournament. It's not as bad as hiring Billy G after one good NCAA tournament but they need someone who can actually win a championship.

Dude, get a grip. Never once did I say all our fans are unbearable. You need to slow down and actually read before replying to one's post...

And I 100% stand by what I said. We have one of the most passionate and unbearable fanbases in all of sports. There is nothing inaccurate about that. It's the exact same as the Yankees, or Celtics, or Knicks, or Lakers, or Patriots, or Cowboys, or Bama football...the list goes on.

Really not a hard concept to understand...
It’s not hard to understand your post sucked… have a great weekend. I’ve made shitty posts too. lol

The main problem is that there is no Mike Pratt to intervene. Who will take that role now? Former players that built this program need to be involved.
I seem to recall perhaps the most respected of all former Kentucky players telling the halftime crowd at Rupp earlier this year that if Cal couldn't win with these players, it was his fault.

I wouldn't worry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT