ADVERTISEMENT

Sarr waiver news realistically could come this week

Kanter was on campus, too. How'd that go?
That is true, but it's a different and unique time now. I don't think the NCAA wants to deal with the impending firestorm that would come their way if they deny a waiver.

While the NCAA is no model for consistency, I would hope they would be logical enough to grant Sarr a waiver if Juzang was given one (I've said before I believe he has a stronger case).

Last edited:
Kanter was on campus, too. How'd that go?

I clearly stated not once, but twice "there may not nothing to it", "but trying to think positive". I guess you missed that part ? You go ahead and be a glass half empty guy and take the the sky is falling negative approach to everything UK related, but it will not rain on my parade. But yes, the Kanter taking money from a pro team is exactly the same as Sarr losing his coach after he was talked into staying, and then the new coach tried to shit on him by saying "why go to a school like Kentucky." Taking money playing for a pro team and a kid having trust issues with his current school and new coach are similar and both should be looked at the exact same. Save the Duke, UNC blah blah blah noise, I have heard it.

I wonder if Cal is able to convince him to play in 21-22 if he doesn’t get a waiver? I know he said he would go overseas, but if he is on campus and enjoys the experience he might change his mind.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
That is true, but it's a different and unique time now. I don't think the NCAA wants to deal with the impending firestorm that would come their way if they deny a waiver.

While the NCAA is model for consistency, I would hope they would be logical enough to grant Sarr a waiver if Juzang was given one (I've said before I believe he has a stronger case).
I really have no idea what will happen. Or when. I would, however, caution against reading too much into anything. Hope for the best, expect the worst, as they say.

I clearly stated not once, but twice "there may not nothing to it", "but trying to think positive". I guess you missed that part ? You go ahead and be a glass half empty guy and take the the sky is falling negative approach to everything UK related, but it will not rain on my parade. But yes, the Kanter taking money from a pro team is exactly the same as Sarr losing his coach after he was talked into staying, and then the new coach tried to shit on him by saying "why go to a school like Kentucky." Taking money playing for a pro team and a kid having trust issues with his current school and new coach are similar and both should be looked at the exact same. Save the Duke, UNC blah blah blah noise, I have heard it.
You're really sensitive. Very defensive. But back to my question, how'd that work out?

I think you know. But how would it have worked out if he had not been playing PRO ball and getting PAID. If you think they are the same circumstances, no need discussing further. I was not defensive nor am I sensitive, I just can not believe someone would the Sarr and Kanter situation are even remotely the same.

I think you know. But how would it have worked out if he had not been playing PRO ball and getting PAID. If you think they are the same circumstances, no need discussing further. I was not defensive nor am I sensitive, I just can not believe someone would the Sarr and Kanter situation are even remotely the same.
But, but, but. Your reasoning was flawed, I pointed it out. No need to get all upset.

But, but, but. Your reasoning was flawed, I pointed it out. No need to get all upset.

Flawed as in their cases where / are totally different ? I mean Sarr's situation gets approved a lot, where as Kanter's pretty much never. Yes I am the one looking at the two situations and using flawed facts. OK, enough with you, you just can not use common sense and look at their two situations different. No need debating with someone who can't use reasoning and the facts laid out to obviously see. When someone uses their opinion to debate and not facts, not chance in having a intelligent discussion. We are done.

Timing of when they announce their commitment is irrelevant. You can’t submit the request until the new school is able to certify eligibility.

And the reason many waivers aren’t received until late is because of the schools, not the NCAA. In the past, two-thirds of basketball waiver requests weren’t submitted to the NCAA until after fall practices had already started.
We all wait with baited breath to get your input.

You're really sensitive. Very defensive. But back to my question, how'd that work out?

I thought he gave you a very good answer by showing how those two situations are completely different, no relationship to the cases of Kanter and Sarrs. Do you not agree with that? Didn't see the other poster as sensitive. Just him trying to take the positive road rather than be negative.

I thought he gave you a very good answer by showing how those two situations are completely different, no relationship to the cases of Kanter and Sarrs. Do you not agree with that? Didn't see the other poster as sensitive. Just him trying to take the positive road rather than be negative.
That wasn't the point. I agree they are different, but his reasoning that Sarr being on campus is his hope of being eligible isn't sound reasoning. That's the point, and I really shouldn't need to explain it.

Flawed as in their cases where / are totally different ? I mean Sarr's situation gets approved a lot, where as Kanter's pretty much never. Yes I am the one looking at the two situations and using flawed facts. OK, enough with you, you just can not use common sense and look at their two situations different. No need debating with someone who can't use reasoning and the facts laid out to obviously see. When someone uses their opinion to debate and not facts, not chance in having a intelligent discussion. We are done.
You said his being on campus shows Cal knows he will be eligible. No, Kanter shows that's why you can't assume that. The details of each case aren't of importance for that discussion. Goodness.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Here is a list of a lot of the immediate eligible transfers that I have gathered. Did any of them commit to their new school before Sarr? Has the NCAA denied immediate eligibility for anyone yet?

Allen Griffin
Trey Murphy III
David DeJulius
DeAndre Williams
Landers Nolley
Tyrese Martin
Galin Smith
Jairus Hamilton
Jimmy Sotos
Chaundee Brown
Nojel Eastern
Elijah Harkless
Umoja Gibson
Bryce Williams
Jamarius Burton
Mac McClung
Tyler Harris
Blake Hinson
LJ Figueroa
Aaron Estrada
Erik Stevenson
Joshua Morgan
Grant Sherfield
Andrew Nembhard
PJ Horne
Colin Castleton
Robert Allen

Here is a list of a lot of the immediate eligible transfers that I have gathered. Did any of them commit to their new school before Sarr? Has the NCAA denied immediate eligibility for anyone yet?

Allen Griffin
Trey Murphy III
David DeJulius
DeAndre Williams
Landers Nolley
Tyrese Martin
Galin Smith
Jairus Hamilton
Jimmy Sotos
Chaundee Brown
Nojel Eastern
Elijah Harkless
Umoja Gibson
Bryce Williams
Jamarius Burton
Mac McClung
Tyler Harris
Blake Hinson
LJ Figueroa
Aaron Estrada
Erik Stevenson
Joshua Morgan
Grant Sherfield
Andrew Nembhard
PJ Horne
Colin Castleton
Robert Allen

Keep in mind that many of those that you listed have not yet submitted a waiver request to the NCAA. And some schools, like Michigan for Chaundee Brown, may ultimately decide not to pursue one.

When Michigan officially announced Brown as part of the team in late June, they indicated that they were still assessing the possibility of obtaining a waiver. In other words, Michigan is trying to figure out if they can somehow spin a story that meets the waiver guidelines.

The DI Council also issued tighter submission requirements for transfer waiver requests during the June meeting that would further delay submissions for anyone who hadn’t already submitted their request to the NCAA.

Has the NCAA denied immediate eligibility for anyone yet?

This is what I'm curious about. Who has been denied so far of immediate eligibility? Doesn't seem like many if at all.

I think even the NCAA will have a hard time basically letting everyone (that applies) to be eligible immediately.. and then turn around and say "nope" to Sarr. I have nothing to base this on.. but gut-feeling says that because of the bigger issues surrounding the sport/COVID, they are just going hand out eligibility and not try and fight it. With all the lost revenue, is this really what the NCAA wants to spend it's time on? Telling schools and players "Sorry, you'll have to wait a year"?

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
The momentum is certainly there to grant most waivers.

On the flipside, some people at the NCAA will rationalize that they don't want things to start looking like the NBA.... with Stars gathering for title runs. It's called unintended consequences and once the new transfer rules come in there will be nothing to stop that from happening. It's not a reason to stop Sarr's eligibility but the NCAA is all political.

This is what I'm curious about. Who has been denied so far of immediate eligibility? Doesn't seem like many if at all.

I think even the NCAA will have a hard time basically letting everyone (that applies) to be eligible immediately.. and then turn around and say "nope" to Sarr. I have nothing to base this on.. but gut-feeling says that because of the bigger issues surrounding the sport/COVID, they are just going hand out eligibility and not try and fight it. With all the lost revenue, is this really what the NCAA wants to spend it's time on? Telling schools and players "Sorry, you'll have to wait a year"?

How many waiver denials for basketball players were you expecting to see by early July?

You said his being on campus shows Cal knows he will be eligible. No, Kanter shows that's why you can't assume that. The details of each case aren't of importance for that discussion. Goodness.

Oh boy, I said I was done with you, I am now dumber by reading your post. I said not ONCE but TWICE, there may be nothing to it, that I was taking a positive approach. NEVER did I say it meant Cal knew 100% FOR SURE. Now, I am 100% done responding to your twisting words ignorance. Take that how you wish.

How many waiver denials for basketball players were you expecting to see by early July?

Well if that many got approved, that we even know of, I would think there'd be a few that got denied. And yes, I get that some of those approved were open and shut, while the ones that get denied will take more time.

A quick search doesn't get me much other than some Euro player for Tennesee and Hauser for Michigan.. You guys seem to have a pretty close hand on this, why not list the ones that have been denied eligibility for 2020?

Well if that many got approved, that we even know of, I would think there'd be a few that got denied. And yes, I get that some of those approved were open and shut, while the ones that get denied will take more time.

A quick search doesn't get me much other than some Euro player for Tennesee and Hauser for Michigan.. You guys seem to have a pretty close hand on this, why not list the ones that have been denied eligibility for 2020?

When you mention “that many got approved”, if you’re referring to the list in Padsfs07’s post then that’s one issue. That’s not a list of players who’ve received approved waivers. It appears to simply be a list of players who’ve indicated they may pursue a waiver. There’ve only been a couple of approved waivers at this point.

That aside, if you look at past years, it would be unusual to have heard of a denied waiver for a basketball player that transferred after the spring semester at this point. There are two reasons for this:
  1. Historically, most basketball waivers are not submitted to the NCAA until after fall practices have started
  2. The waivers that get submitted early tend to be the trickier ones where the schools end up filing reconsideration requests and / or appeals, so they take a long time
In terms of this year specifically, it was looking like schools might try to submit waivers earlier than in the past and the NCAA has already put a stop to that. The transfer policies were just updated to require that a student have established standing (i.e., matriculates) at the new school before the waiver request will be considered.

How long does it normally take for them to get a waiver?
Ncaa website reads its a 21 day expectation. If there is a denial UK can resubmit new information, and if so, another 21 expectation is the turn around.

Translation: we commit to nothing. We’ll be with you, when we’re with you.

Reactions: kl40504
I feel more and more like we won’t have any sports until 21-22. Flu season hits in January and if the pandemic is still raging then everything will shut down or stay shut down for schools.

K-12 schools already shut down for a few days to a week when the flu hits hard. This year it will probably be much worse.

Since I am bored, I have been thinking about what our team would likely look like in 21-22 if there is no season. Like with Spring sports this year, everyone would keep their eligibility.

Mintz, Askew, Allen, Fletcher, Toppin, Ware, and Jackson would likely return.

Sarr, Brooks, Clarke, and Boston would have decisions to make on going pro.

I think Clarke and Boston would definitely go pro. They would be lottery picks.

We probably add Hardy and Huntley-Hatfield, so not a bad trade off.

Brooks probably returns.

The big question mark would be if Sarr comes back.

If he does:

G Askew/Mintz
G Hardy/Allen
F Brooks/Fletcher
F Huntley-Hatfield/Toppin
F Sarr/Jackson/Ware

I feel more and more like we won’t have any sports until 21-22. Flu season hits in January and if the pandemic is still raging then everything will shut down or stay shut down for schools.

K-12 schools already shut down for a few days to a week when the flu hits hard. This year it will probably be much worse.

Since I am bored, I have been thinking about what our team would likely look like in 21-22 if there is no season. Like with Spring sports this year, everyone would keep their eligibility.

Mintz, Askew, Allen, Fletcher, Toppin, Ware, and Jackson would likely return.

Sarr, Brooks, Clarke, and Boston would have decisions to make on going pro.

I think Clarke and Boston would definitely go pro. They would be lottery picks.

We probably add Hardy and Huntley-Hatfield, so not a bad trade off.

Brooks probably returns.

The big question mark would be if Sarr comes back.

If he does:

G Askew/Mintz
G Hardy/Allen
F Brooks/Fletcher
F Huntley-Hatfield/Toppin
F Sarr/Jackson/Ware

I just don't wanna even think about that scenario. I NEED to see Boston and Clarke play for the blue and white.

You're going to need to see deaths and hospitalizations increase dramatically.. what we're seeing now is a lot of cases, sure.. but the death rate continues to decline.

I don't think we can put the economy on hold/keep our youth at home just because a weakened COVID is lingering.

You also still have the daily "we did this thing to help combat COVID". 3 more months of these daily discoveries and advances should greatly help.

Good ole negative Bill. You will be so disappointed when Sarr gets his waiver.

Reactions: Lead Belly
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT