ADVERTISEMENT

B. Roberts: Is UK doubling down on Freshmen a major mistake ?

We have to stop using draft projections as an indicator to how good these kids are NOW.

The NBA drafts on potential, not what you are now.

BJB was a projected lottery pick in the summer of 2020, that didn’t pan out.

But even if Edwards has a shit year, it doesn't matter, he's still getting picked based on his future potential.

That's why this culture Cal built, is not what’s best for UK, it's what's best for future NBA millionaire's and for Cal's personal goals. He's doing it at UK's expense and so many of you guys refuse to see it.
We agree on many points. The big difference between us is I have and always have had a short memory. Probably from being a baseball and softball player in the past. So many games - no time to dwell in the past.

But you haven’t seen Edwards or any of these freshmen play NOW. They could be a real special group. Who knows?

I, unlike most in here, am happy to get several multi year kids to build a core group going forward. Add T Perry and J Johnson to that group and I’m excited for the future. However Cal has to let them play and not the last 25 seconds of a blowout. Development of all players is a requirement of a coach.

I understand your frustration. I do. Share it but I am an optimist and always think people - including Cal- eventually learn from mistakes. I believe his recruiting and asst coach hires show progression. Welch is top notch. It appears Cal is building a talented multi year core group in house rather than depending on the portal. I prefer that.

You’re already saying Edwards is probably not be the talent that Fox was while ignoring that Wagner or Dillingham or Bradshaw might be as well. Give them a chance and not just the first 5 games.

I think Reed S will eventually be terrific. Love the potential of Burks and Hart. Maybe Ugo. Time will tell.

We added 2 veterans who will definitely be in the lineup. 2 returning sophs also will be on the floor as well. That’s 4 guys with various levels of experience at all on floor positions. Cal might add one or two more.

Try to relax right now and look ahead to THIS season and maybe put the disappointments of the past few years in the rear view. I get it- it’s difficult. You’re a super fan! Love your passion for the Cats and the especially the UK tradition. Don’t let your Cal takes bleed on this new team.

I’m with you on many of your takes but this whole new group doesn’t deserve getting beat up prior to the season. There’s some real talent.

Got to say I’m very excited to watching the whole season’s journey. I kinda like the drama of UK basketball. It’s certainly never dull.

Reactions: AzubuikeandFitch
We agree on many points. The big difference between us is I have and always have had a short memory. Probably from being a baseball and softball player in the past. So many games - no time to dwell in the past.

But you haven’t seen Edwards or any of these freshmen play NOW. They could be a real special group. Who knows?

I, unlike most in here, am happy to get several multi year kids to build a core group going forward. Add T Perry and J Johnson to that group and I’m excited for the future. However Cal has to let them play and not the last 25 seconds of a blowout. Development of all players is a requirement of a coach.

I understand your frustration. I do. Share it but I am an optimist and always think people - including Cal- eventually learn from mistakes. I believe his recruiting and asst coach hires show progression. Welch is top notch. It appears Cal is building a talented multi year core group in house rather than depending on the portal. I prefer that.

You’re already saying Edwards is probably not be the talent that Fox was while ignoring that Wagner or Dillingham or Bradshaw might be as well. Give them a chance and not just the first 5 games.

I think Reed S will eventually be terrific. Love the potential of Burks and Hart. Maybe Ugo. Time will tell.

We added 2 veterans who will definitely be in the lineup. 2 returning sophs also will be on the floor as well. That’s 4 guys with various levels of experience at all on floor positions. Cal might add one or two more.

Try to relax right now and look ahead to THIS season and maybe put the disappointments of the past few years in the rear view. I get it- it’s difficult. You’re a super fan! Love your passion for the Cats and the especially the UK tradition. Don’t let your Cal takes bleed on this new team.

I’m with you on many of your takes but this whole new group doesn’t deserve getting beat up prior to the season. There’s some real talent.

Got to say I’m very excited to watching the whole season’s journey. I kinda like the drama of UK basketball. It’s certainly never dull.
I never said Edwards wasn't a Fox level talent, I think you have me confused with someone else.

In fact, I believe Edwards and Wagner are the only 2 freshmen that are going to be good enough to overcome the lack of college experience. They're that good.

The problem is, Cal still runs an offense that is archaic and does nothing but clog the paint. It makes scoring the ball very difficult.

Also, college basketball is as old as it has ever been. When I watch the best teams every year, I'm seeing true teams that simply aren't going to get beat by a bunch of freshmen and a coach that is too stubborn to run modern stuff.

This is the wrong time to be young and what are we going to lean on next when Cal fails with this approach? This is the exact style of team that every Cal supporter points to and says, "that's what Cal needs to win". What happens if he goes 20-12, middle of the pack in the SEC and gets ousted in the 2nd round again? Then what?

Honestly, I just don't see Cal getting out of his own way and making this team a winner. He is still going to run this awful offense, he is still going to play favorites, he is still going to lose games because he thinks a certain player has to play through it and he is still going to coach for individual goals and accomplishments.

Sorry for the long post.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I never said Edwards wasn't a Fox level talent, I think you have me confused with someone else.

In fact, I believe Edwards and Wagner are the only 2 freshmen that are going to be good enough to overcome the lack of college experience. They're that good.

The problem is, Cal still runs an offense that is archaic and does nothing but clog the paint. It makes scoring the ball very difficult.

Also, college basketball is as old as it has ever been. When I watch the best teams every year, I'm seeing true teams that simply aren't going to get beat by a bunch of freshmen and a coach that is too stubborn to run modern stuff.

This is the wrong time to be young and what are we going to lean on next when Cal fails with this approach? This is the exact style of team that every Cal supporter points to and says, "that's what Cal needs to win". What happens if he goes 20-12, middle of the pack in the SEC and gets ousted in the 2nd round again? Then what?

Honestly, I just don't see Cal getting out of his own way and making this team a winner. He is still going to run this awful offense, he is still going to play favorites, he is still going to lose games because he thinks a certain player has to play through it and he is still going to coach for individual goals and accomplishments.

Sorry for the long post.
I’m taking the comments below on Welch from Cal to mean he’s brought in a top flight NBA guru to reset his offense. Also no way is he going to use a singular low post oriented offense with Ugo and undersized Bradshaw and Mitchell.
I think he’s got too much respect for Welch not to adopt his suggestions.And don’t tell me the dribble drive is antiquated. Every NBA team uses it to isolate the defense.

Calipari said he’s known Welch for 25 years, going back to when he first started using the dribble-drive offense (side note: Chuck Martin is also a dribble-drive disciple).

“He was one of the guys that came in and we spent time and I went out and spent time to really learn [the dribble-drive]. So I know — like I told him, I need all these breakdowns to peel into what we’re doing in the dribble drive with this group. He’s been great.”

I’m taking the comments below on Welch from Cal to mean he’s brought in a top flight NBA guru to reset his offense. Also no way is he going to use a singular low post oriented offense with Ugo and undersized Bradshaw and Mitchell.
I think he’s got too much respect for Welch not to adopt his suggestions.And don’t tell me the dribble drive is antiquated. Every NBA team uses it to isolate the defense.

Calipari said he’s known Welch for 25 years, going back to when he first started using the dribble-drive offense (side note: Chuck Martin is also a dribble-drive disciple).

“He was one of the guys that came in and we spent time and I went out and spent time to really learn [the dribble-drive]. So I know — like I told him, I need all these breakdowns to peel into what we’re doing in the dribble drive with this group. He’s been great.”
You think Cal is going to allow anyone to dictate anything? It's Cal's way or no way.

In 2016, Cal had Skal at the 5, he still ran his post offense through him, made him play with his back to the basket. There is no way in hell Cal is going to scrap his #1 go to offense.

The dribble drive is used by every team at every level, but Cal has you guys believing he invented it.

He used to call it "dribble drive motion offense", he had to drop the "motion", because he knew he could only fool fans for so long on that, there is no motion in Cal's offense. It's 4 guys standing around watching one guy fend off 2 defenders, then another guy throwing him the ball.

The DD doesn't work if the paint is clogged. That has always been the issue with it under Cal. He doesn't trust the 3 point shot, but if he would just think about it, he would realize a few made three pointers would open the paint for drives. 18 footers do no good for opening the paint, but he encourages that stupid shot.

Welch isn't going to change what Cal wants to do.

People make sweeping statements based on tiny data sets.

Don't do it in your job, guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT