ADVERTISEMENT

B. Roberts: Is UK doubling down on Freshmen a major mistake ?

Who said they had to be UK players? That's not what the criteria was, but nice try.

Nobody is winning shit under Calipari in this era either way.
You didn’t list any criteria or guidelines. You asked a simple question and I answered it. If you wanted specific answers, you should have asked a more specific question.

You didn’t list any criteria or guidelines. You asked a simple question and I answered it. If you wanted specific answers, you should have asked a more specific question.
You set the criteria in post 70:

"I’m very against Cal, but I agree with getting more high school kids. Transfers just haven’t done it and likely won’t."

The players aren't the problem, that’s my point. Right now, Cal is a huge mess, he’s the old guy that thinks his stuff still works and he never stops trying to prove it.

The fact that Reid Travis and Oscar didn’t win anything significant, is not their fault, they didn't come here and shit the bed. The coach has shit the bed more times than not when the heat was at it's hottest.

One could say PJ Washington (free throws) shit the bed in 18 and 19 and Hagans (massive turnovers) put the final nail in the 2019 coffin, but those guys weren't transfers, they were 1 and 2 years out of HS.

High school kids aren't going to win anything in today’s game, they had a shot in the early to mid 2010's, but it ain't happening now.

You set the criteria in post 70:

"I’m very against Cal, but I agree with getting more high school kids. Transfers just haven’t done it and likely won’t."

The players aren't the problem, that’s my point. Right now, Cal is a huge mess, he’s the old guy that thinks his stuff still works and he never stops trying to prove it.

The fact that Reid Travis and Oscar didn’t win anything significant, is not their fault, they didn't come here and shit the bed. The coach has shit the bed more times than not when the heat was at it's hottest.

One could say PJ Washington (free throws) shit the bed in 18 and 19 and Hagans (massive turnovers) put the final nail in the 2019 coffin, but those guys weren't transfers, they were 1 and 2 years out of HS.

High school kids aren't going to win anything in today’s game, they had a shot in the early to mid 2010's, but it ain't happening now.

I talked about UK players. You went and listed a bunch of guys from other teams. So you didn’t follow my set criteria. Bottom line is we do have a history of high school players leading us deep in march, although not recent. That drop off in recent years coincides with the increase in upper class transfers.

Zero success with those guys…

Barney and Cal both need to be fired. The Burk kid sounds horrible when it comes to commitment, three schools as a junior and three schools as a senior?
But he will stick around and develop under the King of Transfers, who does a poor job of developing the few guys who stick around more than one year.

I talked about UK players. You went and listed a bunch of guys from other teams. So you didn’t follow my set criteria. Bottom line is we do have a history of high school players leading us deep in march, although not recent. That drop off in recent years coincides with the increase in upper class transfers.

Zero success with those guys…
You’re blaming the transfers for coming up short, but you're giving the freshmen all the credit for what happened in 2011, 12 and 14. You aren't blaming the freshmen for what happened in '10, '13, '16, '18, '21, '22 and '23.

There is a common denominator and it isn't the players.

I gave examples of transfers that helped their teams win titles. It’s a UK/Cal issue, not a player issue.

For a program in dire need of experienced college basketball players, Kentucky appears to be taking a curious approach in filling out its 2023-24 roster.

The Wildcats’ only scholarship players so far for next season — pending a final decision from Antonio Reeves — are five incoming high school recruits and two sophomores who played sparingly as UK freshmen.

Common sense — as well as the current state of college basketball — says that John Calipari needs to hit the transfer portal, and hard, over the next few weeks to bring in some seasoned veterans to complement his five-star recruiting haul.

But in the latest twist to this underwhelming Kentucky basketball offseason, Calipari will instead host two under-the-radar high school prospectsthis week, and the Cats are expected to add at least one of those players to next season’s roster soon.

A pair of three-star recruits — small forward Jordan Burks and shooting guard Joey Hart — have emerged as legitimate UK targets over the past few days. Burks arrived in Lexington for an official visit earlier this week and is scheduled to announce a commitment Wednesday, with Kentucky assumed to be the choice. Hart has recruiting visits scheduled for both Indiana and UK this week, and a college decision is expected to come soon after those trips.

If Calipari lands both players, his projected 2023-24 roster would feature seven freshmen and two sophomores. How about some veterans capable of playing real minutes at Kentucky?

There aren’t too many left, according to national recruiting analyst Travis Branham, whose duties include overseeing transfer portal happenings for 247Sports.

“The portal’s drying up,” Branham told the Herald-Leader. “You’ve got limited options out there. Very limited options out there.”

A look at the 247Sports transfer rankingstell that story.

As of Tuesday morning, North Dakota State’s Grant Nelson (No. 3), Creighton’s Arthur Kaluma (No. 19) and Dayton’s Mike Sharavjamts (No. 34) were the only three players in the top 50 of those rankings that hadn’t found new schools.

Branham said he expected Nelson to make a commitment soon, and UK is not a serious player. Sharavjamts has already narrowed his list, and Kentucky isn’t on it. The Cats have been linked to Kaluma, a 6-7 forward who seemingly fills some of UK’s current needs, but other schools appear to be higher on his list.

Outside of those three, there are only three other uncommitted transfers in the top 100 of the 247Sports rankings, and none of those players appear to be UK possibilities either.

“When I say the portal is drying up, it is really drying up,” Branham said.

And the freshmen now being linked to Kentucky appear to be far from game-changers. Neither is ranked nationally by 247Sports, which lists 150 players in its class of 2023 ratings.

Burks — a 6-7 player from Decatur, Ala. — is the No. 37 small forward in the class and No. 172 in the 247Sports composite rankings. He was previously committed to Mississippi, reaffirming his pledge to the Rebels following the hire of new head coach Chris Beard in March and then backing off that commitment a couple of weeks later.

He did lead the Overtime Elite League in scoring this past season, averaging 27.1 points per game. He shot 26.7 percent from three-point range, 67.0 percent on free throws and averaged 19.9 field-goal attempts per game.

Burks also attended two different prep schools as a senior, before arriving at Overtime Elite, and he spent time with three different high school programs in Florida during his junior year.

Branham classified him as a potential contributor off the bench as a freshman at Kentucky, if he’s able to buy in enough on the defensive end to earn Calipari’s trust.

Hart — a 6-4 player from Linton, Ind. — is ranked as the No. 29 shooting guard in the class, and he’s listed at No. 197 nationally in the 247Sports composite rankings. He was previously committed to UCF and has since reopened his recruitment following a senior season in which he averaged 23.7 points per game, shot 39.9 percent from three-point range and led his team to the Indiana class 2A state finals. He was the leading three-point shooter and one of the top scorers on the Under Armour circuit last summer.

Branham called him a “really good shooter” who might be able to come in and help space the floor if the 2023-24 Wildcats struggle from long range. The national analyst classified him as a good player for UK’s practices next season, but it sounds like any immediate impact in actual games is projected to be minimal, at best.

Branham also mentioned the possibility of a third incoming freshman addition for the Wildcats, who could be hosting this mystery recruit for an official visit sometime in the next week or two. That obviously wouldn’t solve the Cats’ lack of experience.

The transfer portal closed May 11, but that deadline did not apply to players who have already graduated from college. Grad transfers can jump into the portal at any time this offseason.

“There’s always a chance,” Branham said of that possibility. “And there are rumors that a couple could jump in — not saying they’re even Kentucky targets — but there’s a couple that could be jumping in.”

Even then, Branham said he hadn’t heard anything to indicate that UK would be in the driver’s seat for such a player, should one or two (or more) even become available in the next few weeks.

KENTUCKY’S ‘DANGEROUS’ GAME​

This year’s NCAA Tournament was dominated by veterans — as was much of the college basketball season — and while the more-experienced makeup of the 2023 Final Four teams might look like an outlier, the 2023-24 season will be played in the same landscape.

The sport will still feature players in their fifth year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 waiver, and it stands to reason that the programs that hit on the right mix of experienced transfers and returnees — possibly with a little bit of top-rate recruiting talent sprinkled in — will be flourishing by the end of the season.

That made landing such players — or getting some back — an imperative for Kentucky.

Instead, the Cats lost four players from their 2023-24 roster — point guard Sahvir Wheeler, shooting guard CJ Fredrick and forwards Daimion Collins and Lance Ware — to other schools. Reeves would be a fifth transfer departure, if he leaves. The Cats also lost one future NBA Draft pick (Cason Wallace) and three more starters with remaining eligibility who were not projected to be 2023 picks at the time they decided to stay in the draft: Oscar Tshiebwe, Jacob Toppin and Chris Livingston.

The result is a roster in disarray.

There’s talent there, to be sure. Point guard DJ Wagner and small forward Justin Edwards are projected lottery picks in the 2024 draft. Post player Aaron Bradshaw has the upside to be a first-rounder, and combo guard Rob Dillingham might, too. Combo guard Reed Sheppard was Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball and a McDonald’s All-American selection. And the Cats will return wing Adou Thiero and center Ugonna Onyenso, two young players with tantalizing potential.

But will that be enough to compete in this version of college basketball, especially at the level expected of Kentucky teams?
I still say Cal isnt doubling down on freshmen, he's scrambling for anything he can get. They missed on the portal guys they wanted and the ones left that they MIGHT be able to get arent any more capable than the freshmen in their opinion so you go for what is easier to obtain and that's freshmen.

Its like getting turned down by the first 8 pretty girls you ask to the senior prom so instead of lowering your standards to the next level, you drop down to the freshman class and ask some lookers there.

I still say Cal isnt doubling down on freshmen, he's scrambling for anything he can get. They missed on the portal guys they wanted and the ones left that they MIGHT be able to get arent any more capable than the freshmen in their opinion so you go for what is easier to obtain and that's freshmen.

Its like getting turned down by the first 8 pretty girls you ask to the senior prom so instead of lowering your standards to the next level, you drop down to the freshman class and ask some lookers there.
and then the headline is "TankedCat double downs on the fat girls"

You’re blaming the transfers for coming up short, but you're giving the freshmen all the credit for what happened in 2011, 12 and 14. You aren't blaming the freshmen for what happened in '10, '13, '16, '18, '21, '22 and '23.

There is a common denominator and it isn't the players.

I gave examples of transfers that helped their teams win titles. It’s a UK/Cal issue, not a player issue.
I dislike Cal just like the next guy. Bottom line is he has won with freshmen previously. He’s never won with transfers. So I’m not saying we’ll wil with freshmen, but Cals record shows his chances increase.

I dislike Cal just like the next guy. Bottom line is he has won with freshmen previously. He’s never won with transfers. So I’m not saying we’ll wil with freshmen, but Cals record shows his chances increase.
has he ever won with a freshmen team and returning sophs that got next to no minutes the year before?

I guess you could argue 2014 , but that team had WCS and Pothress, and even then that is *once* in 12 years

He won what with freshmen? Are you saying we had normal freshmen on that 2012 team and Miller, Jones and Lamb had nothing to do with it?

So, AD and MKG won a title and Oscar lost to St Peters? Am I doing it right?

So, in that loss to St Peters, it was Oscar that failed? Not Tyty, it was all Oscar???

In 20/21, it wasn't Boston and Devin Askew that failed, nope, it was Mintz, Sarr and Toppin, is that right?

The bottom line is, you aren't winning shit with "freshmen", but if you're talking about generational and/or transcendent freshmen… .well, that’s a different discussion. Problem is, how often does Cal get a generational or Transcendent high school kid? Haven't seen one at UK since Fox.

When it comes to college basketball, experience is what wins at this point in time. We’re a long way from 2012.

The fact that we literally went ofer in the portal is truly concerning. We have got one transfer since all this started and he might leave. Whatever the pitch is it sucks and it needs to be fixed

has he ever won with a freshmen team and returning sophs that got next to no minutes the year before?

I guess you could argue 2014 , but that team had WCS and Pothress, and even then that is *once* in 12 years
I agree the success rate for all scenarios are awful. However the only one that has produced ZERO success are transfers.

Reactions: TankedCat
I agree the success rate for all scenarios are awful. However the only one that has produced ZERO success are transfers.
Right now, nothing is a success under Calipari.

But I gave you a huge list of transfers that were big contrubutors to the titles their teams won and I only went back to 2018.

It proves that the players are not the issue, but I'll ask this, where is your list of freshmen that have won a title… at any program?

Right now, nothing is a success under Calipari.

But I gave you a huge list of transfers that were big contrubutors to the titles their teams won and I only went back to 2018.

It proves that the players are not the issue, but I'll ask this, where is your list of freshmen that have won a title… at any program?

The list of freshmen making at run at UK is fairly long. I never specified title.

The list of freshmen making at run at UK is fairly long. I never specified title.
No, no, no, when I listed Oscar and Reid Travis, you asked "what did they win", as if this is an individually played sport. What did the freshmen win? I can.list a whole lot more transfers that simply "went on a run", I only.listed title winners over a 4 season span.

Carmello Anthony, AD and MKG, who else ya got?

Reactions: delk4three
No, no, no, when I listed Oscar and Reid Travis, you asked "what did they win", as if this is an individually played sport. What did the freshmen win? I can.list a whole lot more transfers that simply "went on a run", I only.listed title winners over a 4 season span.

Carmello Anthony, AD and MKG, who else ya got?
I know I'm not part of the discussion you're having, but I thought I would throw in my thoughts on why I really believe that relying on freshmen is the wrong way to go. First, having really good returning players has always been the surest way to win in CBB. But the superiority of using the best transfers rather than freshmen to push a college team over the hump has been evident for the last 4 or 5 years. I think that’s because the transfer rules first got more lax with the waivers (allowing players to play right away) and then the graduate transfer rule was implemented. The flood gates were thrown wide open once the one-time transfer rule was adopted in April 2021. Combine the one-time transfer rule with NIL (which incentivized players to both transfer and remain in college longer) and I think it has become clear that the transfer portal, not high school kids, is the place to get the added pieces to make a title contender.

National champions Villanova in 2018 and Virginia in 2019 each started a transfer. The 2021 Final Four had eight transfers starting between the four teams (Baylor, Gonzaga, Houston and UCLA); and two of them — Houston and UCLA — were led in scoring by a transfer. And Baylor won it all in 2021 with a starting five consisting exclusively of juniors and seniors. Kansas won the national championship in 2022 with five starters who were each in at least their third season with the program. This season all the Final Four teams had transfers that were starters (Miami had three; San Diego State and Florida Atlantic had two; and UConn had one - guard Tristen Newton, who played his first three seasons at East Carolina), and not a single starter was a true freshman. Moreover, none of Final Four starters were ranked among the top-50 prospects nationally in their classes by 247 Sports. The highest ranked player was UConn guard Jordan Hawkins, who was ranked No. 51st in the Class of 2021. In fact, 14 of the 20 Final Four starters were not ranked among the top-100 players in their high school classes.

Kelvin Sampson recently said something to the effect that if you’re not utilizing the transfer portal you’re going to struggle to keep up. Jay Bilas has said the same thing. And right before he retired, Roy Williams said that he thought the one-time transfer rule was going to be the most significant change that's ever happened in college basketball. San Diego State coach Brian Dutcher, who recruited the “Fab Five” to Michigan, said during the tournament that the transfer portal has changed things so that building a team with returning players and transfers allows a team to really benefit from maturity and experience. He explained that "it's hard to win with [freshmen] because it takes a while for them to make the adjustment to the college game. To be a freshman and play (not start, just play) at our place, you have to be very good."

Plain and simple, I think as long as the current transfer rule & NIL remain, the failure to get the best players from the transfer portal will severely handicap a team’s chances to win a title. And trying to compete with OAD freshmen is like betting on a specific number to hit on the roulette wheel.

Just my opinion, but we haven’t been winning with mediocre veterans, so we might as well go back to elite Freshmen talent.

Besides, the slim hope of a title walked out the door when Tshiebwe announced he was staying in the draft. Reeves and a couple of transfers weren’t going to change that.

Let’s see what the young kids can do.

It’s not like we have any say in the matter.

Might as well try to stay as positive as possible. Gloom and doom isn’t going to help the situation.

I know I'm not part of the discussion you're having, but I thought I would throw in my thoughts on why I really believe that relying on freshmen is the wrong way to go. First, having really good returning players has always been the surest way to win in CBB. But the superiority of using the best transfers rather than freshmen to push a college team over the hump has been evident for the last 4 or 5 years. I think that’s because the transfer rules first got more lax with the waivers (allowing players to play right away) and then the graduate transfer rule was implemented. The flood gates were thrown wide open once the one-time transfer rule was adopted in April 2021. Combine the one-time transfer rule with NIL (which incentivized players to both transfer and remain in college longer) and I think it has become clear that the transfer portal, not high school kids, is the place to get the added pieces to make a title contender.

National champions Villanova in 2018 and Virginia in 2019 each started a transfer. The 2021 Final Four had eight transfers starting between the four teams (Baylor, Gonzaga, Houston and UCLA); and two of them — Houston and UCLA — were led in scoring by a transfer. And Baylor won it all in 2021 with a starting five consisting exclusively of juniors and seniors. Kansas won the national championship in 2022 with five starters who were each in at least their third season with the program. This season all the Final Four teams had transfers that were starters (Miami had three; San Diego State and Florida Atlantic had two; and UConn had one - guard Tristen Newton, who played his first three seasons at East Carolina), and not a single starter was a true freshman. Moreover, none of Final Four starters were ranked among the top-50 prospects nationally in their classes by 247 Sports. The highest ranked player was UConn guard Jordan Hawkins, who was ranked No. 51st in the Class of 2021. In fact, 14 of the 20 Final Four starters were not ranked among the top-100 players in their high school classes.

Kelvin Sampson recently said something to the effect that if you’re not utilizing the transfer portal you’re going to struggle to keep up. Jay Bilas has said the same thing. And right before he retired, Roy Williams said that he thought the one-time transfer rule was going to be the most significant change that's ever happened in college basketball. San Diego State coach Brian Dutcher, who recruited the “Fab Five” to Michigan, said during the tournament that the transfer portal has changed things so that building a team with returning players and transfers allows a team to really benefit from maturity and experience. He explained that "it's hard to win with [freshmen] because it takes a while for them to make the adjustment to the college game. To be a freshman and play (not start, just play) at our place, you have to be very good."

Plain and simple, I think as long as the current transfer rule & NIL remain, the failure to get the best players from the transfer portal will severely handicap a team’s chances to win a title. And trying to compete with OAD freshmen is like betting on a specific number to hit on the roulette wheel.
Yeah, exactly and my post a page or two back, listed all the transfers that helped win titles in 2018, 19, 21, 22 and 23. I only went back to 2018, because that's all I needed to prove my point. You can't find very many freshmen on those teams, because you have to be mentally tough to win tournament games.

We have seen bigtime freshman after bigtime freshman shit the bed when the kitchen got hot, but when you look at the teams that are winning titles, you see a bunch of juniors and seniors that were battle tested.

He won what with freshmen? Are you saying we had normal freshmen on that 2012 team and Miller, Jones and Lamb had nothing to do with it?

So, in that loss to St Peters, it was Oscar that failed? Not Tyty, it was all Oscar???

In 20/21, it wasn't Boston and Devin Askew that failed, nope, it was Mintz, Sarr and Toppin, is that right?

The bottom line is, you aren't winning shit with "freshmen", but if you're talking about generational and/or transcendent freshmen… .well, that’s a different discussion. Problem is, how often does Cal get a generational or Transcendent high school kid? Haven't seen one at UK since Fox.

When it comes to college basketball, experience is what wins at this point in time. We’re a long way from 2012.

Since SGA. Agree with your point but once inserted into the starting lineup, which was most of the season, SGA put up better numbers than Fox, Wall and even sophomore Tyler Ulis. That team probably struggles to make the field if not for SGA.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Since SGA. Agree with your point but once inserted into the starting lineup, which was most of the season, SGA put up better numbers than Fox, Wall and even sophomore Tyler Ulis. That team probably struggles to make the field if not for SGA.
And he's tearing it up in the NBA, but there's more than just one dynamic when it comes to any certain players stats. Fox had a deadly shooter and a great big man that he could get the ball to, SGA had to do a lot more on his own.
But still, look what happens in the tournament. How many freshmen led teams make it to the FF? If you're going to roll with freshmen, they better be legit top shelf talents.

Just my opinion, but we haven’t been winning with mediocre veterans, so we might as well go back to elite Freshmen talent.

Besides, the slim hope of a title walked out the door when Tshiebwe announced he was staying in the draft. Reeves and a couple of transfers weren’t going to change that.

Let’s see what the young kids can do.

It’s not like we have any say in the matter.

Might as well try to stay as positive as possible. Gloom and doom isn’t going to help the situation.
Well, how about let’s try winning with good veterans then. Building your team on “mediocre veterans” and graduate transfers probably isn’t the best approach. But unless you’re playing in an all-freshmen league, I see no proof that trying to do so with freshmen is any better (and maybe worse). And it’s not an either/or situation. There is another way – namely cultivating/getting/keeping the best college basketball players, i.e., upperclassmen.

My belief is that “elite” freshmen were never good enough to serve as the core of the team. So, why go back to it? It was a false premise to begin with – although it stood a somewhat better chance of succeeding when there was less emphasis on and accuracy from teams' perimeter shooting

Calipari/UK either hasn’t tried or is not able to get the best players from the transfer portal. It is another false premise to claim that Calipari has done this and it just didn’t work. Everybody else, however, seems to have figured out this is the way to go today. Even a blue blood like Kansas has got with the program and is on top currently by intentionally building rosters relying on upperclassmen (including top transfers).

And theoretically addressing missing elements (e.g., consistent perimeter shooting, good defense and rebounding, reliable scoring against college players) with one dimensional or mediocre players sitting on the bench is not really addressing anything. There are no designated players in basketball. When you need a rebound or a 3pt. shot a guy can’t suddenly jump on the floor.

And I'm sorry if I'm one of those that seem to be promoting gloom and doom. That's not my intent. Because I do agree that we absolutely should enjoy college basketball or stop watching it. It is just entertainment, after all. And I understand/assume that most of us have the most fun in anticipation when we believe that UK has a good chance of being the best team in CBB during an upcoming season. Others get a lot of enjoyment from UK being declared to have the #1 recruiting class. That’s all great. Some (although they probably wouldn’t admit it even to themselves) even get a lot of enjoyment out of complaining about the coach or referees – and that’s fine too, in fact it’s a universal thing in all sports (maybe most especially MLB). So, I’m not trying to take anyone’s joy away by expressing my opinions, etc. It’s just part of my enjoying UK basketball year-round by analyzing what I think works and what does not, following recruiting approaches (high school and transfer portal), watching games, hearing the opinions of others about CBB, etc.

Well, how about let’s try winning with good veterans then. Building your team on “mediocre veterans” and graduate transfers probably isn’t the best approach. But unless you’re playing in an all-freshmen league, I see no proof that trying to do so with freshmen is any better (and maybe worse). And it’s not an either/or situation. There is another way – namely cultivating/getting/keeping the best college basketball players, i.e., upperclassmen.

My belief is that “elite” freshmen were never good enough to serve as the core of the team. So, why go back to it? It was a false premise to begin with – although it stood a somewhat better chance of succeeding when there was less emphasis on and accuracy from teams' perimeter shooting

Calipari/UK either hasn’t tried or is not able to get the best players from the transfer portal. It is another false premise to claim that Calipari has done this and it just didn’t work. Everybody else, however, seems to have figured out this is the way to go today. Even a blue blood like Kansas has got with the program and is on top currently by intentionally building rosters relying on upperclassmen (including top transfers).

And theoretically addressing missing elements (e.g., consistent perimeter shooting, good defense and rebounding, reliable scoring against college players) with one dimensional or mediocre players sitting on the bench is not really addressing anything. There are no designated players in basketball. When you need a rebound or a 3pt. shot a guy can’t suddenly jump on the floor.

And I'm sorry if I'm one of those that seem to be promoting gloom and doom. That's not my intent. Because I do agree that we absolutely should enjoy college basketball or stop watching it. It is just entertainment, after all. And I understand/assume that most of us have the most fun in anticipation when we believe that UK has a good chance of being the best team in CBB during an upcoming season. Others get a lot of enjoyment from UK being declared to have the #1 recruiting class. That’s all great. Some (although they probably wouldn’t admit it even to themselves) even get a lot of enjoyment out of complaining about the coach or referees – and that’s fine too, in fact it’s a universal thing in all sports (maybe most especially MLB). So, I’m not trying to take anyone’s joy away by expressing my opinions, etc. It’s just part of my enjoying UK basketball year-round by analyzing what I think works and what does not, following recruiting approaches (high school and transfer portal), watching games, hearing the opinions of others about CBB, etc.
I have been preaching balance for years.

You need to retain some talent in order to win.

But for next season, that ship has sailed.

So I am just trying to make the best of a bad situation. A situation I have no control over.

Let’s hope these Freshmen surprise us and do well.

To me that beats giving up on them before the season starts.

Reactions: G-PIP

Dating freshmen as a senior is pretty weird if we are talking about HS. When I went to HS anyone doing that got grilled.

I have been preaching balance for years.

You need to retain some talent in order to win.

But for next season, that ship has sailed.

So I am just trying to make the best of a bad situation. A situation I have no control over.

Let’s hope these Freshmen surprise us and do well.

To me that beats giving up on them before the season starts.
You've got a good attitude and way of looking at things.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Who is “we”.

I’m very excited about the upcoming season. Cal will fill the roster with practice players.

The naysayers have to speak up now. You won’t be able to find them once we’re rolling.

The Arkansas and St John’s fans here will have to see if their schools have a message board.

The experts that never played or coached will go mute for a minute while they flip their script and then say they knew it all along.
I see you're still spouting your bullshit while ignoring my challenge.
I offer this again - my account against your account on your claim that UK will win the SEC. They win (regular season OR tournament) and I will delete my account.
They don't and you go away.
Quit your shilling/trolling and put some skin in the game

Let’s hope that by having 8 Freshmen and 2 Sophomores this season, it increases our chances of some retention.

We all know Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, and Dillingham are gone after one season, whether they do anything in college or not.

Mark those four off the board.

But if we can get the other six back, maybe we can start to develop some experienced depth. Two Juniors and four Sophomores with experience actually playing will give us some quality depth. Then we can add 2-3 5-star Freshmen superstars to the mix and maybe a portal player or two.

I know, I know, everyone who doesn’t go to the draft is going to the portal, but I have to have some hope.

Reactions: Kybluedude

Nobody has ever won a championship with all Freshmen and that includes the Fab Five

We are fine .. just on a serious diet !! LOL .. Cal has given up
Since that loss to Wisconsin in 2015 it was a slow decline and then we hit 2019 and that decline went super fast downhill to where we are today. It’s sad that we all see this as fans but the administration is too dumb or stupid to see it? Or maybe they just don’t want too see it because of the stupid mistake they made!

So your saying none of this years freshmen are capable of the talent level of D. Fox?

Look at the projected 2024 draft. We have #s 1,6,18 and 20.

I haven’t seen them play a full game but guessing neither have you if you’re writing them off but the pro scouts have.

And I’m not arguing your point about having experience. I agree it helps.

Also I like having Reed, Adou, Hart,Ugo and Burks. That’s how you build experience for the future in-house rather than portal mercenaries. Hope to add Travis Perry and Jasper Johnson to continue that route.

It’s really hard to believe that we’re in this position. Even by Calipari standards (roster overhauls). This offseason has been one of complete & utter negligence, to this point. As bad as I’ve ever seen. It’s total madness, or incompetence, to go into a season with, essentially, zero experience & even less chemistry. Our two returning players saw very little time last season & as Roberts said in another recent article, incoming FR Justin Edwards will be our oldest player, as it stands.

Calipari, once again, allowed himself to be held hostage by his players & is left with no choice but to bring in FR projects just to fill out the roster. He did nothing while impact transfers went everywhere but here. Now, there’s nothing left & he can only hope that a serviceable grad transfer becomes available at the 11th hour. Totally unacceptable. But, I suppose this was all part of his master plan, being prepared for every possibility & all.

The A Team 80S GIF

I think our only hope at this point is if Caliprairie switches from watching LHOP reruns to the A-Team. Maybe if he watches George Peppard long enough, he will be able to formulate a plan!

• Haha
Reactions: JHannibalSmith
So your saying none of this years freshmen are capable of the talent level of D. Fox?

Look at the projected 2024 draft. We have #s 1,6,18 and 20.

I haven’t seen them play a full game but guessing neither have you if you’re writing them off but the pro scouts have.

And I’m not arguing your point about having experience. I agree it helps.

Also I like having Reed, Adou, Hart,Ugo and Burks. That’s how you build experience for the future in-house rather than portal mercenaries. Hope to add Travis Perry and Jasper Johnson to continue that route.
We have to stop using draft projections as an indicator to how good these kids are NOW.

The NBA drafts on potential, not what you are now.

BJB was a projected lottery pick in the summer of 2020, that didn’t pan out.

But even if Edwards has a shit year, it doesn't matter, he's still getting picked based on his future potential.

That's why this culture Cal built, is not what’s best for UK, it's what's best for future NBA millionaire's and for Cal's personal goals. He's doing it at UK's expense and so many of you guys refuse to see it.

We have to stop using draft projections as an indicator to how good these kids are NOW.

The NBA drafts on potential, not what you are now.

BJB was a projected lottery pick in the summer of 2020, that didn’t pan out.

But even if Edwards has a shit year, it doesn't matter, he's still getting picked based on his future potential.

That's why this culture Cal built, is not what’s best for UK, it's what's best for future NBA millionaire's and for Cal's personal goals. He's doing it at UK's expense and so many of you guys refuse to see it.
Cal is rolling the dice this season more than he has any other year. He has gone all in with this class. Maybe he hits and beats the house but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if it goes south. His ego, legacy and maybe coaching future are on the line.

He could feel that he has nothing to lose since he is planning to walk away sooner as opposed to later.

Reactions: G-PIP and kyjeff1
Cal is rolling the dice this season more than he has any other year. He has gone all in with this class. Maybe he hits and beats the house but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if it goes south. His ego, legacy and maybe coaching future are on the line.

He could feel that he has nothing to lose since he is planning to walk away sooner as opposed to later.
It's very telling that he would throw caution to the wind like this. It tells me he thinks he's king and he's untouchable. He really doen't care about UK's accomplishments, or goals, it's all about these kids that were getting drafted no matter where they went to school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT