ADVERTISEMENT

B. Roberts: Is UK doubling down on Freshmen a major mistake ?

Well, reading a lot of that was a depressing way to start the day. Sounds like we are in serious trouble with this year's roster no matter what Cal does now. But, of course, we kind of already knew that. Not very excited about the upcoming season at all.
Cal owns this debacle of an off-season. The game has passed him by and the job has passed him by. There are no excuses left for him at this point.

The net effect for the program is a downward trajectory overall that will require a full rebuild by any coach that succeeds Cal. It's not Kentucky anymore when the product on the court is just another middling SEC bubble team.

The only way fans at this point have a say is to refuse going to games or donating for season tickets until changes are made. Nothing will make a statement like empty seats in Rupp.

Last edited:
I"m not sure Cal had a choice given how he handled the portal.

If he doesn't land a veteran guy, of course he'll come out of the gate talking about how this was intentional and this team will gel and turn into a force by March.

Nothing we haven't heard before. The difference is we know its all BS.

You have to admit it's pretty impressive.About a million guys went into the portal and Cal couldn't even manage one.He was too busy running to NBA games bragging about having so many former players in the NBA.We have future NBA guys on this team and that's all that matters to Cal.So what if the actual team sucks.

I mean sure we’d like them to be older. But right now not having enough experience pales in comparison to not having nearly enough players. Don’t you think?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
He was too busy running to NBA games bragging about having so many former players in the NBA.We have future NBA guys on this team and that's all that matters to Cal.So what if the actual team sucks.
I do think that was some of it. And I think the other half is, inasmuch as Cal did actually put any effort into going after portal guys, what he basically did was get star struck by all the talent out there. And told a whole lot of guys: “it’s not for everyone, but we may have a spot for you at Kentucky where you can compete to earn your minutes if so and so doesn’t come back.”

As opposed to telling one guy “You’re my guy and I will move Heaven and Earth to see you in Kentucky blue.”

It seems to me Cal has had this general problem since before he ever even set foot on our campus the first time.

There’s an ancient European proverb:

Chase two hares; catch none.

We’re headed for a nightmare season. It won't be 9-16 bad, but when it gets combined with the faiures of the last 3 years, it's going to feel just as bad.

If Cal doesn't get Reeves and at least 3 other legit veterans that will play, we are looking at a team that will struggle to win 20 games. I see more than 12 losses coming and a lot of frustration towards Cal, because he will still act like we should be happy with the results.

Those of you still hanging on to your pro-Cal fandom, you better strap in, because you're about to see what the rest of us saw several years ago.

I'll see you guys once you make it over the fence. I promise I'll go easy on the I-told-you-so's.

Maybe
Totally in agreement with you on this. I had us another 6 seed if we got back 2 of our 3 we waited on. Getting only 1 or possibly none back I think we miss the tourney entirely. Freshmen will not be dominant, at least 2 of them will underwhelm, have at least one mysterious injury which practically ends their season and 2 of them by virtue of process of elimination will be our team leaders all the while cruising to a 18-13 type season (at best). Honestly would not surprise me to end up .500.

Who is “we”.

I’m very excited about the upcoming season. Cal will fill the roster with practice players.

The naysayers have to speak up now. You won’t be able to find them once we’re rolling.

The Arkansas and St John’s fans here will have to see if their schools have a message board.

The experts that never played or coached will go mute for a minute while they flip their script and then say they knew it all along.
I'm tired of people like you who always question "we". But, I'll entertain you. We is our great public state run university. We is the school and teams I love and support both as a fan and financially. We is the university I attended and received two degrees from and love very much. I think that more than qualifies to say "we". I suppose you feel all the Athletic teams are totally independent of we fans and we have no right to say they are our team?? Don't understand you anti "we" people at all.

This is maddening to me. Predicting the end result:
We have six frosh and four sub-par others.
Reeves sees the writing on the wall and runs for the hills.
We lose 10-15 games.
Cal leaves at season's end, with ego bruised and battered.
The ENTIRE teams goes pro or hits the portal.
A new coach comes in and pulls in 10 players from the portal.
Next season we lose half our games.

Tell me I'm wrong.
to be honest, I think most people expected that kind of fall out whenever Cal left, regardless of which year

The only qualm with the premise is it assumes it's a decision or strategy. In truth it was just a 2nd tier fall back position when we struck out on everyone else.

So it's a result of a bad roster management approach. Not a decision or strategy. Yes it will almost surely fail and we're probably one injury away from catastrophic failure
This.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Word no longer needs to get around

Just watching Cals teams and a potential transfer would know they aren’t going to get starter spots or a majority of the minutes ahead of Cal’s 5 stars

We better hope the freshmen are Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd Gilchrist good

If not, Cal is going to face backlash like never before.

All Kentucky fans will have had enough. We may have been tricked by his marketing but we aren’t idiots.

just fir conversation....why do you guys think Travis Branham knows more than most people on this board???....dont just blindly follow people....him calling us a fringe tourney team is like me diagnosing someone with cancer....he is just guessing
Yo do udersStad this is a Rritten furim? I not a mend ReDer.

I'm tired of people like you who always question "we". But, I'll entertain you. We is our great public state run university. We is the school and teams I love and support both as a fan and financially. We is the university I attended and received two degrees from and love very much. I think that more than qualifies to say "we". I suppose you feel all the Athletic teams are totally independent of we fans and we have no right to say they are our team?? Don't understand you anti "we" people at all.
He brags about going to all the games wherever they may be, how great all the fans are and they all love cal. Personally think he’s a troll, probably an IU fan who doesn’t attend games, knows little about the game, if anything, and pleasures himself while reading responses on this board he writes pretending to be all things UK. Must be a sad life 😂

Cal really destroyed hopes for next season.Now he will pretend Burks and Hart were the plan all along.
And there’s nothing we can do about it, but sit back and watch.

It is what it is.

I’m just hoping for the best. Hoping maybe the Freshmen are good enough to lead us at least out of the first weekend.

At least that would be an improvement over the last three seasons.

It is what it is.

I’m just hoping for the best. Hoping maybe the Freshmen are good enough to lead us at least out of the first weekend.

At least that would be an improvement over the last three seasons

It is what it is.

At least that would be an improvement over the last three seasons.
Sure is a low standard for the program these days

Wait…. I thought we wanted to give Cal another year because of the amazing class we have coming in.

Which has been the usual refrain every off season for the last 5+ years.
I didn’t mean to reply to your post directly. Lol

For a program in dire need of experienced college basketball players, Kentucky appears to be taking a curious approach in filling out its 2023-24 roster.

The Wildcats’ only scholarship players so far for next season — pending a final decision from Antonio Reeves — are five incoming high school recruits and two sophomores who played sparingly as UK freshmen.

Common sense — as well as the current state of college basketball — says that John Calipari needs to hit the transfer portal, and hard, over the next few weeks to bring in some seasoned veterans to complement his five-star recruiting haul.

But in the latest twist to this underwhelming Kentucky basketball offseason, Calipari will instead host two under-the-radar high school prospectsthis week, and the Cats are expected to add at least one of those players to next season’s roster soon.

A pair of three-star recruits — small forward Jordan Burks and shooting guard Joey Hart — have emerged as legitimate UK targets over the past few days. Burks arrived in Lexington for an official visit earlier this week and is scheduled to announce a commitment Wednesday, with Kentucky assumed to be the choice. Hart has recruiting visits scheduled for both Indiana and UK this week, and a college decision is expected to come soon after those trips.

If Calipari lands both players, his projected 2023-24 roster would feature seven freshmen and two sophomores. How about some veterans capable of playing real minutes at Kentucky?

There aren’t too many left, according to national recruiting analyst Travis Branham, whose duties include overseeing transfer portal happenings for 247Sports.

“The portal’s drying up,” Branham told the Herald-Leader. “You’ve got limited options out there. Very limited options out there.”

A look at the 247Sports transfer rankingstell that story.

As of Tuesday morning, North Dakota State’s Grant Nelson (No. 3), Creighton’s Arthur Kaluma (No. 19) and Dayton’s Mike Sharavjamts (No. 34) were the only three players in the top 50 of those rankings that hadn’t found new schools.

Branham said he expected Nelson to make a commitment soon, and UK is not a serious player. Sharavjamts has already narrowed his list, and Kentucky isn’t on it. The Cats have been linked to Kaluma, a 6-7 forward who seemingly fills some of UK’s current needs, but other schools appear to be higher on his list.

Outside of those three, there are only three other uncommitted transfers in the top 100 of the 247Sports rankings, and none of those players appear to be UK possibilities either.

“When I say the portal is drying up, it is really drying up,” Branham said.

And the freshmen now being linked to Kentucky appear to be far from game-changers. Neither is ranked nationally by 247Sports, which lists 150 players in its class of 2023 ratings.

Burks — a 6-7 player from Decatur, Ala. — is the No. 37 small forward in the class and No. 172 in the 247Sports composite rankings. He was previously committed to Mississippi, reaffirming his pledge to the Rebels following the hire of new head coach Chris Beard in March and then backing off that commitment a couple of weeks later.

He did lead the Overtime Elite League in scoring this past season, averaging 27.1 points per game. He shot 26.7 percent from three-point range, 67.0 percent on free throws and averaged 19.9 field-goal attempts per game.

Burks also attended two different prep schools as a senior, before arriving at Overtime Elite, and he spent time with three different high school programs in Florida during his junior year.

Branham classified him as a potential contributor off the bench as a freshman at Kentucky, if he’s able to buy in enough on the defensive end to earn Calipari’s trust.

Hart — a 6-4 player from Linton, Ind. — is ranked as the No. 29 shooting guard in the class, and he’s listed at No. 197 nationally in the 247Sports composite rankings. He was previously committed to UCF and has since reopened his recruitment following a senior season in which he averaged 23.7 points per game, shot 39.9 percent from three-point range and led his team to the Indiana class 2A state finals. He was the leading three-point shooter and one of the top scorers on the Under Armour circuit last summer.

Branham called him a “really good shooter” who might be able to come in and help space the floor if the 2023-24 Wildcats struggle from long range. The national analyst classified him as a good player for UK’s practices next season, but it sounds like any immediate impact in actual games is projected to be minimal, at best.

Branham also mentioned the possibility of a third incoming freshman addition for the Wildcats, who could be hosting this mystery recruit for an official visit sometime in the next week or two. That obviously wouldn’t solve the Cats’ lack of experience.

The transfer portal closed May 11, but that deadline did not apply to players who have already graduated from college. Grad transfers can jump into the portal at any time this offseason.

“There’s always a chance,” Branham said of that possibility. “And there are rumors that a couple could jump in — not saying they’re even Kentucky targets — but there’s a couple that could be jumping in.”

Even then, Branham said he hadn’t heard anything to indicate that UK would be in the driver’s seat for such a player, should one or two (or more) even become available in the next few weeks.

KENTUCKY’S ‘DANGEROUS’ GAME​

This year’s NCAA Tournament was dominated by veterans — as was much of the college basketball season — and while the more-experienced makeup of the 2023 Final Four teams might look like an outlier, the 2023-24 season will be played in the same landscape.

The sport will still feature players in their fifth year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 waiver, and it stands to reason that the programs that hit on the right mix of experienced transfers and returnees — possibly with a little bit of top-rate recruiting talent sprinkled in — will be flourishing by the end of the season.

That made landing such players — or getting some back — an imperative for Kentucky.

Instead, the Cats lost four players from their 2023-24 roster — point guard Sahvir Wheeler, shooting guard CJ Fredrick and forwards Daimion Collins and Lance Ware — to other schools. Reeves would be a fifth transfer departure, if he leaves. The Cats also lost one future NBA Draft pick (Cason Wallace) and three more starters with remaining eligibility who were not projected to be 2023 picks at the time they decided to stay in the draft: Oscar Tshiebwe, Jacob Toppin and Chris Livingston.

The result is a roster in disarray.

There’s talent there, to be sure. Point guard DJ Wagner and small forward Justin Edwards are projected lottery picks in the 2024 draft. Post player Aaron Bradshaw has the upside to be a first-rounder, and combo guard Rob Dillingham might, too. Combo guard Reed Sheppard was Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball and a McDonald’s All-American selection. And the Cats will return wing Adou Thiero and center Ugonna Onyenso, two young players with tantalizing potential.

But will that be enough to compete in this version of college basketball, especially at the level expected of Kentucky teams?
He has no choice. High school kids are the only ones who still believe his lies.

It would not shock me to see UK stupidity let Cal finish out his contract here, and then try to redeem themselves by firing both Cal and Mitch. The only thing that might change that is further decline in ticket sales.
That would make as much sense as attempting to perform maintenance on the Titanic while it sits on the ocean floor.

I’m very against Cal, but I agree with getting more high school kids. Transfers just haven’t done it and likely won’t.
Let me guess, you have been attending Cal's coaching clinics for losers. Lol

Cal has been able to keep some level of fan support because while losing on the court he was able to score enough victories off the court to keep some fans believing in tomorrow. Now that he is also losing off the court, fan support is really going tank, imho.

I’m very against Cal, but I agree with getting more high school kids. Transfers just haven’t done it and likely won’t.
So, Oscar sucked? Reid Travis sucked? Reeves sucked?

There have been far more freshmen that failed than veteran transfers. We just have the luxury of getting a bunch of 5* kids every year, that’s not the norm.

Cal has been able to keep some level of fan support because while losing on the court he was able to score enough victories off the court to keep some fans believing in tomorrow. Now that he is also losing off the court, fan support is really going tank, imho.
Plus, our fanbase has no shortage of gullible idiots that are just casual fans and really don't care that much about it.

Bass, KL90201 and UKBBFAN are simply playing with less than a full deck.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
So, Oscar sucked? Reid Travis sucked? Reeves sucked?

There have been far more freshmen that failed than veteran transfers. We just have the luxury of getting a bunch of 5* kids every year, that’s not the norm.

Those guys win anything?

I’ll be waiting…

Those guys win anything?

I’ll be waiting…
Still waiting? How 'bout this numbnuts.

What two things do all these players have in common?

Tristen Newton (UConn)
Joey Calcaterra (UConn)
Nahiem Alleyne (UConn)
Remy Martin (KU)
Jalen Coleman-Lands (KU)
Joseph Yesufu (KU)
Macio Teaque (Baylor)
Davion Mitchel (Baylor)
Adam Flagler (Baylor)
Mathew Mayer (Illinois)
Jonathan Tchatchua (Baylor)
Braxton Key (UVA)
Eric Paschall (Villanova)

Now, go ahead and list all these freshmen that won something in the modern era.

There's a big difference between post 2015 and pre 2015, but let me know if you want to go back to pre 2015.

Oh and FYI, My list only goes back to 2018.

Still waiting? How 'bout this numbnuts.

What two things do all these players have in common?

Tristen Newton (UConn)
Joey Calcaterra (UConn)
Nahiem Alleyne (UConn)
Remy Martin (KU)
Jalen Coleman-Lands (KU)
Joseph Yesufu (KU)
Macio Teaque (Baylor)
Davion Mitchel (Baylor)
Adam Flagler (Baylor)
Mathew Mayer (Illinois)
Jonathan Tchatchua (Baylor)
Braxton Key (UVA)
Eric Paschall (Villanova)

Now, go ahead and list all these freshmen that won something in the modern era.

There's a big difference between post 2015 and pre 2015, but let me know if you want to go back to pre 2015.

Oh and FYI, My list only goes back to 2018.
1. They didn’t play for Calipari
2. They didn’t play for UK

What do I win? 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT