ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters NBA Legends GM Draft Round 1: Aike vs. Pizza Slice

Which team would win a best of 7 playoff series on a neutral court?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aike

All-American
Mar 18, 2002
I'm sure many of you have been following along, but our basic premise was to pick the team most likely to win a 7 game playoff series against the other teams. We could draft anyone who has ever played in the NBA. Here are the teams for the first round matchup between Aike and @Pizza Slice.

Aike
Magic Johnson G/Everything
Elgin Baylor F
Anthony Davis F/C
Pete Maravich G
Artis Gilmore C
David Thompson G/F
Chris Bosh F/C
Bobby Jones F
Drazen Petrovic G
Bruce Bowen G/F
Lenny Wilkens G
Dolph Schayes F/C

Pizza Slice
David Robinson C
Dominique Wilkins F
Allen Iverson G
Kevin McHale F
Tim Hardaway G
Alex English F
Antawn Jamison F
Mark Price G
Jermaine O'Neal C
Larry Johnson C
Steve Francis G

Poll will be open for 24 hours. I may come back later and discuss match ups. Feel free to join/add to the discussion.

Im not sure you guys would play your teams the way I would play your teams, so I'd like to hear what you have in mind.

Both squads have a lot of guys I like. I don't know how they necessarily fit together. Lay it out for us.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Im not sure you guys would play your teams the way I would play your teams, so I'd like to hear what you have in mind.

Both squads have a lot of guys I like. I don't know how they necessarily fit together. Lay it out for us.

Yeah, want to see how they'd deploy their assets.

Reactions: Aike
I'd play Allen Iverson as my PG, Alex English as my SG, Nique at SF, McHale at PF and DRob at C. Probably the best scoring lineup in NBA history including this draft. Nobody would stop me from getting into the lane and scoring. Then off the bench I have Tim Hardaway to run my group with Steve Franchise as my off guard, Larry Johnson to be my ferocious combo forward, Antawn Jamison to come in and score inside out and Jermaine O'Neal posting and hitting midrange J's. Mark Price comes in for spot minutes to shoot 3s. The only 2 people Aike has to even compete with my athleticism is Magic, and AD. David Robinson is way too agile for Artis to guard. Dominique vs Elgin?? Yeah Elgin was good going against 6'3 or 6'4 small forwards but has he ever played against a 6'8 athletic monster in Nique who dropped 40+ on Larry Bird? You really think pistol Pete could guard AI?? AI would have a field day getting into the lane. McHale, as said by multiple NBA legends, has the greatest post moves in history and was impossible to guard. He averaged a career high 26 points and 11 rebounds in his prime. Magic Johnson is the only matchup problem I have but one man isn't going to beat an entire legends roster.

I see this one as a complete mismatch. It's hard for me to vote for a team with Allen Iverson as the starting point guard. Although that would be easier than voting for a team with Russell Westbrook as a starting point guard in this format.

Magic, Baylor and Davis, is a really formidable and versatile top-3. They more than make up for the one-dimensional (but very entertaining) Maravich.

Reactions: Big_Blue79 and Aike
I see this one as a complete mismatch. It's hard for me to vote for a team with Allen Iverson as the starting point guard. Although that would be easier than voting for a team with Russell Westbrook as a starting point guard in this format.

Magic, Baylor and Davis, is a really formidable and versatile top-3. They more than make up for the one-dimensional (but very entertaining) Maravich.

I know Pistol is known for his defense, but he could actually fill it up too.

I would go with Aike's team on this.

Magic is versatile so naturally fits well. You combine that with Pete and AD makes it really balanced.

I don't get the hate for AI. He literally took a team of scrubs/over the hill players to an NBA finals.

Reactions: dvillecatfan
Idk how this is a mismatch for me. Elgin Baylor played against athletically inferior nobodies in his career. Pistol Pete was one dimensional. Artis Gilmore has stone feet. Magic and AD are the only 2 people who I'd have trouble with. But Magic isn't guarding either of my guards. (Can be the same for me if Magic decides to post.) But then it just becomes a moot point. I think my roster in this particular matchup is a nightmare. Let's not forget Alex English led the entire 80s in scoring, not Magic or Bird.

I'm sure many of you have been following along, but our basic premise was to pick the team most likely to win a 7 game playoff series against the other teams. We could draft anyone who has ever played in the NBA. Here are the teams for the first round matchup between Aike and @Pizza Slice.

Aike
Magic Johnson G/Everything
Elgin Baylor F
Anthony Davis F/C
Pete Maravich G
Artis Gilmore C
David Thompson G/F
Chris Bosh F/C
Bobby Jones F
Drazen Petrovic G
Bruce Bowen G/F
Lenny Wilkens G
Dolph Schayes F/C

Pizza Slice
David Robinson C
Dominique Wilkins F
Allen Iverson G
Kevin McHale F
Tim Hardaway G
Alex English F
Antawn Jamison F
Mark Price G
Jermaine O'Neal C
Larry Johnson C
Steve Francis G

Poll will be open for 24 hours. I may come back later and discuss match ups. Feel free to join/add to the discussion.

Aike has a versatile frontcourt and Magic Effing Johnson. Magic is top 5 all-time and can play in any era; he'll probably defend 2s and 3s, but that's just fine. Elgin Baylor and AD are a formidable frontcourt. Bosh is the modern prototype of a big man and can fit in seamlessly alongside any frontcourt player. I'm not a big Pistol Pete fan, and his skill set is not ideal for this scenario, but the dude can flat out shoot and score. He's a perfect lead guard for bench heavy units. The key will be at the 2-3 spots. I think David Thompson and Petrovic are sufficient, but they're the weak spot on this team and there's little depth. The combination of Gilmore and Schayes provides old school center play, which might be problematic if Bosh/AD weren't perfect fits alongside them. Biggest problem for the bench will be questionable athleticism (Schayes, Wilkens, Jones) or questionable ethics (Bowen).

Pizza Slice's team should be coached by the late Doug Moe (or maybe Don Nelson). Besides the Admiral, who's slowing down, let alone stopping, anyone? David Robinson is the 90s version of AD. Wilkins, AI, Hardaway, English, Price, and Francis are largely offense only. AI is similar to Pistol Pete in that he's not an ideal skill set for this exercise; his real value will be on bench heavy lineups with a need for shot creation alongside good defenders (but there are none). The guard rotation is deep (Hardaway, Price, Francis, AI) but populated with second tier (or worse) guys. English can score, as can Wilkins, but they give up a lot. O'Neal is a nice piece for the price as a solid defender with decent range, but he's 5-10 per game. I'd like McHale better in another matchup, but AD and Bosh are decent options against him. LJ and Jamison are all right, I guess, but don't move the needle.

I like Aike in this one, but he's going to have problems on the wing in later matchups if we're using 2018 rules. Also -2 points for Bruce Bowen, whose name should never have even come up in this process.

Aike has a versatile frontcourt and Magic Effing Johnson. Magic is top 5 all-time and can play in any era; he'll probably defend 2s and 3s, but that's just fine. Elgin Baylor and AD are a formidable frontcourt. Bosh is the modern prototype of a big man and can fit in seamlessly alongside any frontcourt player. I'm not a big Pistol Pete fan, and his skill set is not ideal for this scenario, but the dude can flat out shoot and score. He's a perfect lead guard for bench heavy units. The key will be at the 2-3 spots. I think David Thompson and Petrovic are sufficient, but they're the weak spot on this team and there's little depth. The combination of Gilmore and Schayes provides old school center play, which might be problematic if Bosh/AD weren't perfect fits alongside them. Biggest problem for the bench will be questionable athleticism (Schayes, Wilkens, Jones) or questionable ethics (Bowen).

Pizza Slice's team should be coached by the late Doug Moe (or maybe Don Nelson). Besides the Admiral, who's slowing down, let alone stopping, anyone? David Robinson is the 90s version of AD. Wilkins, AI, Hardaway, English, Price, and Francis are largely offense only. AI is similar to Pistol Pete in that he's not an ideal skill set for this exercise; his real value will be on bench heavy lineups with a need for shot creation alongside good defenders (but there are none). The guard rotation is deep (Hardaway, Price, Francis, AI) but populated with second tier (or worse) guys. English can score, as can Wilkins, but they give up a lot. O'Neal is a nice piece for the price as a solid defender with decent range, but he's 5-10 per game. I'd like McHale better in another matchup, but AD and Bosh are decent options against him. LJ and Jamison are all right, I guess, but don't move the needle.

I like Aike in this one, but he's going to have problems on the wing in later matchups if we're using 2018 rules. Also -2 points for Bruce Bowen, whose name should never have even come up in this process.

I didn’t like Bowen either, but he was 8 time all defense, 3 time champ, and shot 46% from three in his best year.

He’s on the team precisely to shore up defensive deficiencies on the wing when and if necessary, and to be able to spot for corner threes. He’s the kind of guy that you have to have to win in this format.

Frankly though, Elgin Baylor wouldn’t spend much time on the bench. He never did.

And you many want to re-evaluate the athleticism of Jones and Wilkens. Jones especially.

Overall, nice write-up.

Edit: I would also say that Petrovic is only a weak spot if you disregard his untimely death. He is as good a shooter as has ever played the game. And could handle lead guard roles with a flare similar to Pistol.

David Thompson’s weak spot was drug-related. I’m counting on him to keep his nose clean playing with Magic and Elgin. But I really only need him for a couple of scoring bursts each half.

Also, for the record, “2018 rules” was never a stipulation as we were constructing our teams (although I am comfortable with how my team would compete in any era).

Last edited:
So Anthony Davis, Artis Gilmore, and Magic Johnson.......

There's no reason to continue....I'm surprised extra cheese even has 7 votes.

And I really like Sausage guy and hope he votes for me but, there will be no rebounds given in that game.

I didn’t like Bowen either, but he was 8 time all defense, 3 time champ, and shot 46% from three in his best year.

He’s on the team precisely to shore up defensive deficiencies on the wing when and if necessary, and to be able to spot for corner threes. He’s the kind of guy that you have to have to win in this format.

Frankly though, Elgin Baylor wouldn’t spend much time on the bench. He never did.

And you many want to re-evaluate the athleticism of Jones and Wilkens. Jones especially.

Overall, nice write-up.

Edit: I would also say that Petrovic is only a weak spot if you disregard his untimely death. He is as good a shooter as has ever played the game. And could handle lead guard roles with a flare similar to Pistol.

David Thompson’s weak spot was drug-related. I’m counting on him to keep his nose clean playing with Magic and Elgin. But I really only need him for a couple of scoring bursts each half.

Also, for the record, “2018 rules” was never a stipulation as we were constructing our teams (although I am comfortable with how my team would compete in any era).

I get the Bowen argument, but I think his style of defense was dirty and in my ideal world he's tossed in the first quarter of the first game b/c screw him. But you're spot on about Elgin. When reading up on Bobby Jones, I ran into descriptions like "gritty" and "hustle," so I may be off on him but I blame lazy stereotypes by writers. I like Petrovic, especially as a shooter, but on an all-time team I think he's on the weaker side; someone has to be.

For 2018 rules, I mainly mean three point line and zone defenses are legal; the rest is relatively minor. Discussed in another thread, but I figured I'd put it here as well.

Good win, congrats!

I get the Bowen argument, but I think his style of defense was dirty and in my ideal world he's tossed in the first quarter of the first game b/c screw him. But you're spot on about Elgin. When reading up on Bobby Jones, I ran into descriptions like "gritty" and "hustle," so I may be off on him but I blame lazy stereotypes by writers. I like Petrovic, especially as a shooter, but on an all-time team I think he's on the weaker side; someone has to be.

For 2018 rules, I mainly mean three point line and zone defenses are legal; the rest is relatively minor. Discussed in another thread, but I figured I'd put it here as well.

Good win, congrats!

Man, do yourself a favor and watch this 2 minute Bobby Jones video.

As for Bowen, I get it. I really do. As a Laker fan I really hated the guy. But he didn’t make all defense 8 times by being dirty. Kind of like Draymond today, that borderline play is often the difference maker in a series.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT