ADVERTISEMENT

Reid Travis to UK according to sources

Wants to be an NBA 3. Cue Cal haters saying cannot wait to watch Cal sacrifice wins by forcing him to play on perimeter rather than down in the paint.

Reactions: ganner918
I wish people would stop saying if the kids leave it's a bad decision and they are making mistakes. You don't know their options or situations that are leading to the decisions. Just because they might want to do something different than play at UK doesn't mean they are making a bad decision. Most of you only care because you want UK to be better and not about what the kid wants.

agree to an extent, but it would be foolish for PJ to leave and go undrafted/ possibly play for an obscure G league team with an awkward sounding mascot as opposed to coming back to the Top college program, build more hype, make more connections, work on game and EASILY go mid first round (already on draft boards for next year...unlike this year) next year which = a guaranteed $ 5-$8 million dollars as opposed to possibly 36k in the g league

Just read where he was expected to be preseason Pac 12 player of the year! Unreal if we get this guy!

This would be amazing. Id like PJ and Wenyen back. We would have a legit two scorers while the freshman develop. A senior that can lead and an all around roster for the first time since 2015. This season will be a ton of fun and another run to the final four if we get 2 of the three back.

If we get him and just get PJ back we are set. Wenyen and Vanderbilt would be luxuries.

He hasn't been surrounded by a ton of talent at Stanford and tends to float too much to the perimeter, but the kid is a pit bull competitor. When he drives to the basket he's tough to stop. Have to make him shoot outside jumpers to neutralize him somewhat, but he's a double double type of guy who doesn't take any plays off on offense or defense. KU played Stanford last year and his box score doesn't reflect his actual contribution to Stanford's game. Again, he wasn't surrounded by a lot of talent. Put him on Kentucky's squad where the kid will have to be guarded one on one and his numbers are going to go way up.

Great get for Kentucky and looking forward to our match-up in January. Udoka is coming back, so it is going to be a war.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Hope like hell this is true! I honestly think we get Wenyan and Vanderbilt back. Any combo of two of them would be awesome; give us one and we're still in good shape.

Now being reported that it is actually between Kentucky and Villanova for Travis.

Yep, was just going to post that. Goodman saying hold tight on the UK stuff and that Nova is definitely a player for Reid.

If Spellman leave Nova they have a major need for a guy like Reid and would be a top 5 team is they got him.

Hope Cal lands him though!

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
This has been my hope since we first heard that Travis might be a possibility.Do you think all three are gone?If only one returns who would be the best fit along with Travis?

I think Travis has some range to the 3 point line. PJ might be the best fit/most productive unless we could get a whole year out of Vanderbilt(which doesn't seem likely) A player who has put up 19.5 per game is a welcome addition.
No I don’t think all three are gone. If I was a betting man, PJ returns. After hearing Matt Jones periscope last night, Vanderbilt would be the one who leaves. Gabriel, as I have said many times, is the one I really don’t think anyone has a feel for at this point. I will guess he returns but I never have been confident on his decision.

Yep, was just going to post that. Goodman saying hold tight on the UK stuff and that Nova is definitely a player for Reid.

If Spellman leave Nova they have a major need for a guy like Reid and would be a top 5 team is they got him.

Goodman....it may be true but this is what he would say to dampen the mood.

Reactions: JFCats22
Curious, why would Travis coming to UK mean someone has to be staying in the draft? Am I Missing someone?

Washington
Vanderbilt
Baker
Gabriel
Green
Richards
Montgomery
Johnson
Quickley
Herro
Hagans

I got 11... .why does one have to leave or stay in the draft to make room for Travis?

Curious, why would Travis coming to UK mean someone has to be staying in the draft? Am I Missing someone?

Washington
Vanderbilt
Baker
Gabriel
Green
Richards
Montgomery
Johnson
Quickley
Herro
Hagans

I got 11... .why does one have to leave or stay in the draft to make room for Travis?

Because there can only be 5 on the court at a time and there's only one basketball...

People keep saying things like this about Villanova, but how? They lose just about ALL of their perimeter scoring. Which, of course, is a lot of what made them so good in the first place.

All they're returning is Paschall, Booth, and a couple of guys who might turn out OK, but certainly didn't do much last year, in Gillespie and Roundtree. Jermaine Samuels was a 4 star recruit who barely saw action last year. The rest will all be recruits and transfers.

If they added Travis, yeah, they'd look pretty good, but top 5? I just do not see it. I think there's some mythology developing around Jay Wright that's distorting the importance of the actual talent that he's coached.

Most of which (especially if Spellman stays in the draft) will be gone.

Travis is making a purely basketball decision on this, so you have to think that favors UK.

Next man up. Excited to see what happens but there will be nationwide butt hurt should it come to fruition. Re-cue the "Cal/Kentucky are ruining college basketball" narrative when/if this happens and we become the heavy favorite to win #9.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
People keep saying things like this about Villanova, but how? They lose just about ALL of their perimeter scoring. Which, of course, is a lot of what made them so good in the first place.

All they're returning is Paschall, Booth, and a couple of guys who might turn out OK, but certainly didn't do much last year, in Gillespie and Roundtree. Jermaine Samuels was a 4 star recruit who barely saw action last year. The rest will all be recruits and transfers.

If they added Travis, yeah, they'd look pretty good, but top 5? I just do not see it. I think there's some mythology developing around Jay Wright that's distorting the importance of the actual talent that he's coached.

Most of which (especially if Spellman stays in the draft) will be gone.

Travis is making a purely basketball decision on this, so you have to think that favors UK.

Style of play may be playing a part for Villanova. They play a style where all 5 of their players on the court are free to shoot threes. If he wants to showcase his ability to hit outside shots to the NBA, he could do that at Villanova freely.

Would Calipari allow him to do the same? My guess is yes, but you all are the experts here on how he coaches.

If I had a choice and I don't, I would rather have the grad from Stanford than any of the three who may or may not go. Although I do wonder why he is not NBA material at this point in his career. Maybe if he comes to Kentucky Cal will help with that
Exactly no one gets to see him play in PAC 12. Coming to UK will improve his visability and tremendously boost his draft stock. Win win for both parties.

I'd been really hoping to get 2 of our 3 guys back. Bring in Travis plus 1 and I'm pretty damn happy. Travis plus 2 and i'm ecstatic.
Vanderbilt is the key to us being really special next year. PJ and Wenyen are good and would be great to have too, but you just can't duplicate what JV brings from a rebounding energy guy. He is super unique in his ability as a junkman type player that every great team has had and he's the one guy I want back bad. If healthy and in year two I think he's be special to watch and perfectly compliments the other guys no matter who else is out there. He doesn't get in the way of any other players because he's unique as junkman.

Style of play may be playing a part for Villanova. They play a style where all 5 of their players on the court are free to shoot threes. If he wants to showcase his ability to hit outside shots to the NBA, he could do that at Villanova freely.

Would Calipari allow him to do the same? My guess is yes, but you all are the experts here on how he coaches.
We all know you're just hoping, but I'll play along.

Some truth to the idea that Villanova plays a more NBA-centric style. However, UK can counter that with the fact that UK is the single most scouted college program in the country, and Travis can come in and compete with fellow potential NBAers on a daily basis.

Have a feeling we'll find out within days of the draft deadline. That was obviously what Travis was waiting for.

He would play the 4 here, and we've had plenty of people in that position who shoot from outside (Patrick Patterson, Terrence Jones, Kyle Wiltjer, Derrick Willis, Wenyen Gabriel).

ADVERTISEMENT