ADVERTISEMENT

Reid Travis to UK according to sources

More ready based on his past season right? Because I’m highlight workout videos everyone looks great, they only show when the players handles he ball right and only the shots that go in. He has ALOT to improve on to become a SF but he is a beast of a PF, very strong, aggressive as hell. He’s like a taller Bonzi Colson

He looks alot more ready than ANY of the three waiting on their decision. Very surprised he is not being drafted

Vanderbilt is the key to us being really special next year. PJ and Wenyen are good and would be great to have too, but you just can't duplicate what JV brings from a rebounding energy guy. He is super unique in his ability as a junkman type player that every great team has had and he's the one guy I want back bad. If healthy and in year two I think he's be special to watch and perfectly compliments the other guys no matter who else is out there. He doesn't get in the way of any other players because he's unique as junkman.

I was thinking the same, but if he hasn't had surgery yet and still has it, he may not be back by the beginning of the season and then he's rehabbing and playing catch up again. PJ's ability to score in the post could be huge for us.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Yep, was just going to post that. Goodman saying hold tight on the UK stuff and that Nova is definitely a player for Reid.

If Spellman leave Nova they have a major need for a guy like Reid and would be a top 5 team is they got him.

Hope Cal lands him though!
That's why I never got my hopes up with all the speculation this morning that this was a done deal. I expect him to come out today and say he's gonna visit 3 or 4 schools before making a decision, Duke being one of them. This thing is gonna drag out a few more weeks, i'm afraid.

Vanderbilt is the key to us being really special next year. PJ and Wenyen are good and would be great to have too, but you just can't duplicate what JV brings from a rebounding energy guy. He is super unique in his ability as a junkman type player that every great team has had and he's the one guy I want back bad. If healthy and in year two I think he's be special to watch and perfectly compliments the other guys no matter who else is out there. He doesn't get in the way of any other players because he's unique as junkman.
I tend to agree.

If UK has to lose Washington and Gabriel to end up with Travis and Vanderbilt, I don't think that's a terrible thing. Travis is very similar to Washington, and Gabriel simply has limited skills. A frontcourt 5 man rotation of Richards, Montgomery, Vanderbilt, Travis, and Keldon Johnson looks great to me.

He hasn't been surrounded by a ton of talent at Stanford and tends to float too much to the perimeter, but the kid is a pit bull competitor. When he drives to the basket he's tough to stop. Have to make him shoot outside jumpers to neutralize him somewhat, but he's a double double type of guy who doesn't take any plays off on offense or defense. KU played Stanford last year and his box score doesn't reflect his actual contribution to Stanford's game. Again, he wasn't surrounded by a lot of talent. Put him on Kentucky's squad where the kid will have to be guarded one on one and his numbers are going to go way up.

Great get for Kentucky and looking forward to our match-up in January. Udoka is coming back, so it is going to be a war.
If PJ comes back maybe he and Azubuike could have a FT shooting contest to decide the winner.

I tend to agree.

If UK has to lose Washington and Gabriel to end up with Travis and Vanderbilt, I don't think that's a terrible thing. Travis is very similar to Washington, and Gabriel simply has limited skills. A frontcourt 5 man rotation of Richards, Montgomery, Vanderbilt, Travis, and Keldon Johnson looks great to me.

Limited skills..yet were 9 points better defensively and 3 better offensively when hes on the court. Thought you was a super top notch pro basketball genius?

Apparently, Reid Travis never blocks shots. His blocks per 40 minutes is 0.1. For perspective, Nick Richards’ per-40 blocks is 2.4.

Or, put another way, Travis had only 4 blocks for the entire 2017-18 season, even though he averaged 34 minutes per game. Nick Richards had 33 blocks last year while only playing 14.7 minutes per game.

I will feel less concerned about uk’s team next year with Travis and not Washington and Vanderbilt. Travis is not a good shooter and can’t play defense, yet he wants to play on the wing.

Well I for one wouldn't sit back and allow Duke to set the table for themselves. Make sure to tell him if he does go to Duke that they have 3 ball dominant guys who are already fighting and make sure to have him read player and patent statements from last year. Don't pull a Cal and uptalk everyone while they bash the sht out of you and then take your target.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Please dont talk yourselves out of this Travis kid.....He has been coming here since tourney was over..dont let Goodman put one doubt in your mind...He is coming to UK

Apparently, Reid Travis never blocks shots. His blocks per 40 minutes is 0.1. For perspective, Nick Richards’ per-40 blocks is 2.4.

Or, put another way, Travis had only 4 blocks for the entire 2017-18 season, even though he averaged 34 minutes per game. Nick Richards had 33 blocks last year while only playing 14.7 minutes per game.

That's pretty embarrassing. The guy clearly has no defensive skills, so hope others we surround him with do. He's great on offense though evidently, which is nice.

Re:Dick Trickle. It burns a little.

On another note, but the same one, my girlfriend has a Harry Gant. Most realistic tattoo I ever saw.

That's pretty embarrassing. The guy clearly has no defensive skills, so hope others we surround him with do. He's great on offense though evidently, which is nice.

There's more to defense than blocking shots, so that isn't necessarily an indicator.

We also don't know about style of play or his role. Bam didn't rebound and block shots here like he could have because we had him switching everything on the perimeter.

Maybe Stanford asks him to seal the weak side and rebound instead of going after shots. Maybe they tell him to save his energy on defense. Maybe they tell him not to contest shots and get in foul trouble. Maybe he does suck on defense.

He does average about a steal per game. And his defensive box plus/minus and defensive win shares are positive, although not very high.

Here's how we need this to go down

Travis(yes he'll be new to the system, but the Bahamas trip will cure that. He brings more to the table than all 3 other guys)

Jarred Vanderbillt(His rebounding ability mixed with that of Travis will dominate teams next year)

PJ(Travis is a better player at this point who can do all the same things PJ does, but better)

Wenyen(he could come back and he a clutch shooter for us, but we will have no problem scoring next year with these 3 others waiting to announce)

Wenyen is my favorite between PJ, Vando, and himself, but Im a fan of our Cats first and those other 3 would be more important for our title hopes.

Reactions: drcats2013
That's why I never got my hopes up with all the speculation this morning that this was a done deal. I expect him to come out today and say he's gonna visit 3 or 4 schools before making a decision, Duke being one of them. This thing is gonna drag out a few more weeks, i'm afraid.
Don’t remember hearing it was a done deal. It was all speculation and those in the know simply stated UK probably leads. I expect him to take visits. Looks like. UK/Nova battle.

Don’t remember hearing it was a done deal. It was all speculation and those in the know simply stated UK probably leads. I expect him to take visits. Looks like. UK/Nova battle.

People will freak if Nova gets this guy over us.

There's more to defense than blocking shots, so that isn't necessarily an indicator.

We also don't know about style of play or his role. Bam didn't rebound and block shots here like he could have because we had him switching everything on the perimeter.

Maybe Stanford asks him to seal the weak side and rebound instead of going after shots. Maybe they tell him to save his energy on defense. Maybe they tell him not to contest shots and get in foul trouble. Maybe he does suck on defense.

He does average about a steal per game. And his defensive box plus/minus and defensive win shares are positive, although not very high.

I completely agree with all of that, and there’s a lot to be said for being built like a tank and moving your feet to seal the baseline. Guys don’t even attempt the shot because they can’t back you down and get close enough.

BUT, even Hami Diallo had 13 blocks last season. I just feel like if you’re 6’8” and playing in the post for 34 minutes per game, you ought to come up with more than 4 blocks for an entire season. There should be plenty of opportunities in put-back scrums, or any other time when the structure in both the offense and defense breaks down. I mean, really? FOUR? Players routinely get that many in a single game.

Reactions: BassProCat
Could use him to offset this guy in Rupp next year. They lost a lot, but KU will be good once again.

I completely agree with all of that, and there’s a lot to be said for being built like a tank and moving your feet to seal the baseline. Guys don’t even attempt the shot because they can’t back you down and get close enough.

BUT, even Hami Diallo had 13 blocks last season. I just feel like if you’re 6’8” and playing in the post for 34 minutes per game, you ought to come up with more than 4 blocks for an entire season. There should be plenty of opportunities in put-back scrums, or any other time when the structure in both the offense and defense breaks down. I mean, really? FOUR? Players routinely get that many in a single game.

It does feel odd. But no one on the team averaged even one block per game. That almost has to be coached as a philosophy.

They only had six guys play more than 20 minutes, and only two averaged 3 fouls or more.

Again, that suggests a coach telling them that they don't have much depth and to get in position, go straight up, but not to be aggressive and pick up fouls.

We are going to get all three of our guys back and people will lament that we didn’t get Travis. There is just no satisfying some people.

Looks like my dream best case scenario prediction for a long time now of Vando and Travis is coming true. Washington is good, but he won't be as good as Travis would be next season. Either way it's a win win tho can't go wrong with either one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT