ADVERTISEMENT

Quotes from Cal’s call in show last night

gwjenning

Junior
Mar 6, 2017
Someone used to summarize during the show, must’ve got tired of listening.

Guard play
“I don’t want to take away from Notre Dame — we didn’t play good,” Calipari said. “Our guard play was not good at all. The movement of the ball, the spacing of our team.”

Wheeler
“The first thing is, if they play that way, you have to play a little different,” Calipari said of his conversation with Wheeler. “Maybe not do some of the things you were doing, just run our team. Just do that. The second thing is, this has to have happened to you before. Well, tell me what you did. How did you play? How did you go against it? Instead of me guessing, you tell me.”

“It wasn’t just him,” he said of Wheeler. “I thought TyTy started really solid, and maybe we didn’t go to him enough. That was an issue, we needed to. But he didn’t finish, and it was also defensively for both of them.”

We normally win these LOW scoring games
“We’re up two with a minute (and) 30 (seconds) to go,” Calipari said. “Should have won the game. We held them to 60, 62 before the last play. Do we lose games when we give up only 60 points? Normally we don’t. … As bad as it was, we still were in position to win. In my mind, we should have won — up two with a minute (and) 30 (seconds) to go. Do we have work to do? Yeah. Am I happy? Come on, you know me.”

“At the end of the day, our teams win these kinds of games,” he said. “I thought we were going to win, but we didn’t.”

Prepare for OSU
“Now we get after it for our next game with three days of football practice. Why? Because I’ve got to prepare them to play great. I told them today, I don’t know if that means win or loss, but I know how you’re going to have to play and what we have to do. We’ve got three days to get after it.”

“I said, ‘If you don’t want this, it’s too much, get the flu, whatever you want, hamstring, bad back, whatever. Step aside so we can do what we have to do.’ … It’s going to be physical.”

OSU
“They’re very physical. Their big guys are not 6-11, but they’re 6-7, long and strong,” Calipari said. “If you wait for them to get in your body, you’ve got no chance. They go high-low, set unbelievable screens, many of them on one possession. It’ll be a hard game for us.”

Talks about Tuesdays telethon for Western KY. Just including bb quotes in this post.

Oscar
“I’m really proud of him,” he said. “We’ve got to protect him, though. We’ve got to have great spacing. You have to because — are you going to let him get 50? You’re going to trap. We’ve got to do better, and that’s my mission right now.”

Not calling TO at the end
“Ten seconds, nine seconds to go. Let’s talk about it and understand why I normally don’t call timeout. I normally don’t,” Calipari said. “If you call a timeout, OK, you’ve got a 30-second timeout. You bring your team over, you draw up a play. ‘Listen, listen! We’re going to do this! Alright, now to get it in, we’ve got to go on a zipper cut and in. Now, when we get it in, you only got 10 seconds, so we’re gonna do this.’ And then the horn goes. ‘Ah!’ And then somebody says to me, ‘What if they go zone?’ ‘Ah, go give it to Jimmy. Jimmy, just go.’ I mean, it’s not as easy as you think. The best thing you can do is let a guy go.”

“… I’m still learning about my team. Seeing that, I probably would have called a timeout. Probably would have done something, if they were man or zone, ‘Here’s what we’re doing.'”

Thanks fans for showing out in South Bend

Dontaie Allen
“Dontaie is going to get his opportunity if guys don’t start making them,” Calipari said. “I’ve been on him about, when we do shooting drills, you cannot shoot the ball like you’re in a HORSE game. You have to be shot-ready. As you’re catching it, it’s leaving your hand to go off.”

Still thinks team has a chance
“We’ve got great kids, we do,” Calipari said. “I think we’ve got a team that before it’s all said and done, we’ll be fine. I hate losing. … Right now, we have to get back to who we are.”

Last edited:
“Maybe not do some of the things you were doing, just run our team. Just do that. The second thing is, this has to have happened to you before. Well, tell me what you did. How did you play? How did you go against it? Instead of me guessing, you tell me.”
What kind of ****ing coaching and advice is this?

Maybe not do some of things you were doing? Seriously? That's it? Couldn't be more specific? How about ****ing telling the kid exactly what he should stop doing.

Cal channeling his inner Michael Scott and starting a sentence that he has no idea where it's going and just hoping he finds it along the way.

“I don’t want to take away from Notre Dame — we didn’t play good,” Calipari said. “Our guard play was not good at all. The movement of the ball, the spacing of our team.”

“The first thing is, if they play that way, you have to play a little different,” Calipari said of his conversation with Wheeler. “Maybe not do some of the things you were doing, just run our team. Just do that. The second thing is, this has to have happened to you before. Well, tell me what you did. How did you play? How did you go against it? Instead of me guessing, you tell me.”

“It wasn’t just him,” he said of Wheeler. “I thought TyTy started really solid, and maybe we didn’t go to him enough. That was an issue, we needed to. But he didn’t finish, and it was also defensively for both of them.”

“We’re up two with a minute (and) 30 (seconds) to go,” Calipari said. “Should have won the game. We held them to 60, 62 before the last play. Do we lose games when we give up only 60 points? Normally we don’t. … As bad as it was, we still were in position to win. In my mind, we should have won — up two with a minute (and) 30 (seconds) to go. Do we have work to do? Yeah. Am I happy? Come on, you know me.”

“At the end of the day, our teams win these kinds of games,” he said. “I thought we were going to win, but we didn’t.”

“Now we get after it for our next game with three days of football practice. Why? Because I’ve got to prepare them to play great. I told them today, I don’t know if that means win or loss, but I know how you’re going to have to play and what we have to do. We’ve got three days to get after it.”

“I said, ‘If you don’t want this, it’s too much, get the flu, whatever you want, hamstring, bad back, whatever. Step aside so we can do what we have to do.’ … It’s going to be physical.”

OSU
“They’re very physical. Their big guys are not 6-11, but they’re 6-7, long and strong,” Calipari said. “If you wait for them to get in your body, you’ve got no chance. They go high-low, set unbelievable screens, many of them on one possession. It’ll be a hard game for us.”

Talks about Tuesdays telethon for Western KY. Just including bb quotes in this post.

Oscar
“I’m really proud of him,” he said. “We’ve got to protect him, though. We’ve got to have great spacing. You have to because — are you going to let him get 50? You’re going to trap. We’ve got to do better, and that’s my mission right now.”

“Ten seconds, nine seconds to go. Let’s talk about it and understand why I normally don’t call timeout. I normally don’t,” Calipari said. “If you call a timeout, OK, you’ve got a 30-second timeout. You bring your team over, you draw up a play. ‘Listen, listen! We’re going to do this! Alright, now to get it in, we’ve got to go on a zipper cut and in. Now, when we get it in, you only got 10 seconds, so we’re gonna do this.’ And then the horn goes. ‘Ah!’ And then somebody says to me, ‘What if they go zone?’ ‘Ah, go give it to Jimmy. Jimmy, just go.’ I mean, it’s not as easy as you think. The best thing you can do is let a guy go.”

“… I’m still learning about my team. Seeing that, I probably would have called a timeout. Probably would have done something, if they were man or zone, ‘Here’s what we’re doing.'”

Dontaie Allen
“Dontaie is going to get his opportunity if guys don’t start making them,” Calipari said. “I’ve been on him about, when we do shooting drills, you cannot shoot the ball like you’re in a HORSE game. You have to be shot-ready. As you’re catching it, it’s leaving your hand to go off.”

“We’ve got great kids, we do,” Calipari said. “I think we’ve got a team that before it’s all said and done, we’ll be fine. I hate losing. … Right now, we have to get back to who we are.”

5Bo1rBd.gif

Guard play

Wheeler

Prepare for OSU

OSU

Oscar

Dontaie Allen

After I read that now I understand why these players are lost sometimes.

Maybe not do some of things you were doing? Seriously? That's it? Couldn't be more specific? How about ****ing telling the kid exactly what he should stop doing.

Cal channeling his inner Michael Scott and starting a sentence that he has no idea where it's going and just hoping he finds it along the way.
what a blow bag piece of crap
he has no clue how to coach

The Chicken Littles need to chill.

No, not anymore man. Cal needs to step it up and the team does too. We need to have a great game plan going into Vegas. This stuff can't fly anymore. This isn't a young team and we cannot keep doing the same thing an expecting different results.

The hope would be that this team figures it out like '19 did...we had early season losses to Evansville, Utah, OSU and then went on a run of sorts.

There just isn't an excuse to lose to a team like ND this year. We need to rebound quick.

Guard play

Wheeler

Prepare for OSU

OSU

Oscar

Dontaie Allen

And folks that is how you spin a loss against a 3-4 team into a win.....it is worth $10 million a year and you know it.

So basically we should have won the rock right as we usually do. I mean that 3 from Grady goes in 9/10 times on a normal team in a normal reality so I guess that is fair. Vegas had the line 1-2 for a reason so they usually know what they are doing.

I think the thing with Wheeler is he wasn't going against cupcakes anymore and struggled going against a Power 5 defense for the first time in over a month.

As far as the 3 point shooting goes...it is not rocket science. You need to tell the guys who have the green light to shoot (Mintz, TyTy, Allen (if he plays) and Grady), and the other guys only ever shoot one if it is 1-2 seconds on the shot clock. We shot 2/19 but how many did the guys who shouldn't have taken them take? I know Brooks took 1, Toppin (LOL), Hopkins took 2...Wheeler took at least 1-2 I think...that is essentially 6 turnovers. There could have been more shots there.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
So basically we should have won the rock right as we usually do. I mean that 3 from Grady goes in 9/10 times on a normal team in a normal reality so I guess that is fair. Vegas had the line 1-2 for a reason so they usually know what they are doing.

I think the thing with Wheeler is he wasn't going against cupcakes anymore and struggled going against a Power 5 defense for the first time in over a month.

As far as the 3 point shooting goes...it is not rocket science. You need to tell the guys who have the green light to shoot (Mintz, TyTy, Allen (if he plays) and Grady), and the other guys only ever shoot one if it is 1-2 seconds on the shot clock. We shot 2/19 but how many did the guys who shouldn't have taken them take? I know Brooks took 1, Toppin (LOL), Hopkins took 2...Wheeler took at least 1-2 I think...that is essentially 6 turnovers. There could have been more shots there.

Yep, 0-6 outside of guards who were 2-13.

I'm ok with Brooks taking an occasional open 3 for sure. We need one of those guys who can stretch the floor but it shouldn't be a ton.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
Thanks OP for posting.

I begrudgingly read the summary, then about 1/4 thru remembered why I should’ve passed. Typical Cal BS salesmanship excuses and narratives for everything. Got sick of that crap long ago.

Anyone who takes anything away from his shows or postgame pc’s is silly. That goes for both sides of the Cal debate. He talks in circles constantly it’s nauseating.

If Oscar scores 25 + and ND can’t stop it, why shot any threes. Make a team stop what your doing. Second, UK should have pressed to speed up the game and play their style instead of NDs. That’s why UK only scored 60 points.
Cal is not gonna press. That is not who he is. It's not gonna happen. I agree with you that this team should do that.

If Oscar scores 25 + and ND can’t stop it, why shot any threes. Make a team stop what your doing. Second, UK should have pressed to speed up the game and play their style instead of NDs. That’s why UK only scored 60 points.
Just like in 2010 we had the best big man in the country. We shot like 3-30ish from 3 against WVU. Cal didn’t know how to effectively attack that 1-3-1 zone and he had ****ing John Wall and Bledsoe! Then he bad Patterson and Cousins at the 4/5.

We ALWAYS play the tempo that the opposition wants to play. Cal doesn’t adjust to do anything to speed the game up. It’s one of the most frustrating things about him. That, his unwillingness to play a zone and his absolutely shitty offense.

No, not anymore man. Cal needs to step it up and the team does too. We need to have a great game plan going into Vegas. This stuff can't fly anymore. This isn't a young team and we cannot keep doing the same thing an expecting different results.

The hope would be that this team figures it out like '19 did...we had early season losses to Evansville, Utah, OSU and then went on a run of sorts.

There just isn't an excuse to lose to a team like ND this year. We need to rebound quick.
You realize he's not a Kentucky fan.

guys, you can't put anything into what Cal says.

I doubt that conversation with Wheeler really happened, or at least as described.

He says things for the fans, he says things to recruits, he says things to players - we think of Cal as the old farmer eating an apple with a pocket knife like he is about to illuminate us with some home spun knowledge, but nothing he says should ever be taken at face value. There is *always* an ulterior motive.

guys, you can't put anything into what Cal says.

I doubt that conversation with Wheeler really happened, or at least as described.

He says things for the fans, he says things to recruits, he says things to players - we think of Cal as the old farmer eating an apple with a pocket knife like he is about to illuminate us with some home spun knowledge, but nothing he says should ever be taken at face value. There is *always* an ulterior motive.
There is actually a whole lot of truth to this. Hell, even the Cal Fan Club will tell you the same thing. Can't count on two hands how many people that are the biggest Calipari fans on the planet have said "he doesn't mean that, he's just saying it for recruiting" or something like that. Basically even they know he's full of **** most of the time.

There is actually a whole lot of truth to this. Hell, even the Cal Fan Club will tell you the same thing. Can't count on two hands how many people that are the biggest Calipari fans on the planet have said "he doesn't mean that, he's just saying it for recruiting" or something like that. Basically even they know he's full of **** most of the time.
He’s as inauthentic as they come. A most repulsive trait.

Well then, may be he does just roll the ball out....

Here's to hoping another Anthony Davis walks through the door and soon!

Does Cal have a 'World's Best Coach' mug sitting on his desk?

That’s exactly why I quit listening to the postgame show years ago. That, and how he talks to the Rupp crowd like they’re children attending their first game.
He actually talked down to Tom Leach like he usually does the fans last night. I thought Tom wanted to smack him.

Instead Tom just let Cal ramble on with his nonsense. Cal actually challenged Tom on his knowledge of basketball since he had "only" called games and didn't really understand the game.

Cal's arrogant and condescending treatment of others makes me want to puke. I can't stand these elitist who lord their wealth and position over us commoners.

Cal has forgotten where he came from and how he got to where he is in life.

Pride comes before a great fall.

Just like in 2010 we had the best big man in the country. We shot like 3-30ish from 3 against WVU. Cal didn’t know how to effectively attack that 1-3-1 zone and he had ****ing John Wall and Bledsoe! Then he bad Patterson and Cousins at the 4/5.

We ALWAYS play the tempo that the opposition wants to play. Cal doesn’t adjust to do anything to speed the game up. It’s one of the most frustrating things about him. That, his unwillingness to play a zone and his absolutely shitty offense.

The ND game reminded me of that WVU game. UK was clearly the better team in both games and in the first half the only reason it was close was because of WVU/ND hitting 3s and UKs inability to not hit them. ND was not good enough to get out to a double digit lead in the 2nd half like WVU but all the 3 point ineptitude, even from our good shooters, was just a flashback to that game.

You just knew when Grady's 3 came out we were done for.

He actually talked down to Tom Leach like he usually does the fans last night. I thought Tom wanted to smack him.

Instead Tom just let Cal ramble on with his nonsense. Cal actually challenged Tom on his knowledge of basketball since he had "only" called games and didn't really understand the game.

Cal's arrogant and condescending treatment of others makes me want to puke. I can't stand these elitist who lord their wealth and position over us commoners.

Cal has forgotten where he came from and how he got to where he is in life.

Pride comes before a great fall.
I also see the guy equating financial prosperity and ending generational poverty as “success” and a path to a life of joy and happiness. And that’s just not necessarily true. I know people in SE Asia that have absolutely nothing, and yet are more joyful and content than any of the wealthy people I know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT