ADVERTISEMENT

Quotes from Cal’s call in show last night

Which makes me wonder, How in the HELL did he score 2000 points at Davidson ? I realize he was playing against lesser competition but he HAD to be the focus of every team’s defense. How can it be that he is not ready to shoot when he gets the ball ? It’s mind boggling.
You're going to have to provide the answer for both of us, yoshuka because I agree with you completely and I have no answer. Also, Davidson plays against pretty decent competition, plus plays games against the big boys of college basketball too. So, I just can't buy the higher competition excuse. I think Grady needs the directive given to Allen: "Find the nerve to shoot the ball or someone else is going to have to play that will" - which is not too promising in my opinion, because it would have to be Mintz (who works his butt off, but isn't half the talent that Grady is in my opinion) or Sharpe (who will likely struggle with inconsistency while he's trying to develop his skills and, at the same time, get acclimated to a game of bigger, stronger, faster players constantly coming at him).

Averaging half of what he did each season there. And I’m not saying that Allen or Mintz have played or shot well, but both those guys average 9pm if they play the amount of minutes he does. And they also out-rebound (Allen) and out-assist (Mintz) him.
You make a good point about the production of Allen and Mintz. But I assume, like me, just your own eye test (forgetting for a minute what he did at Davidson) tells you Grady has the better all-around tools at this time. But, for whatever reason he isn't producing. Many will say it's Calipari's fault, and as the coach that has to be at least part of the issue; but I don't think Grady should get a pass. He's not aggressive enough and I see him pass up shot after shot that other good Division I shooters would take every time.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
You're going to have to provide the answer for both of us, yoshuka because I agree with you completely and I have no answer. Also, Davidson plays against pretty decent competition, plus plays games against the big boys of college basketball too. So, I just can't buy the higher competition excuse. I think Grady needs the directive given to Allen: "Find the nerve to shoot the ball or someone else is going to have to play that will" - which is not too promising in my opinion, because it would have to be Mintz (who works his butt off, but isn't half the talent that Grady is in my opinion) or Sharpe (who will likely struggle with inconsistency while he's trying to develop his skills and, at the same time, get acclimated to a game of bigger, stronger, faster players constantly coming at him).
Kellans also playing 7 mpg less at UK than he did at Davidson and about the talent he playing against here is not much difference than wat he played against at Davidson especially the 7 games against the Fighting Cupcakes of Cupcake University and he shooting 40% from 3 but at Davidson he was “the man” and at UK he just another good player so maybe he is not trying to force the issue just yet until he realizes how bad we need him score the ball. I think Grady will be alright once he gets settled in a little bit and becomes more comfortable. I’m not tryin to agree or disagree with anything anyone said.. this is just kind of my observation.

Reactions: G-PIP
The second thing is, this has to have happened to you before. Well, tell me what you did. How did you play? How did you go against it? Instead of me guessing, you tell me.”
How about you coach the kid on what he did wrong and he what needs to do.

If what he'd done before against it was successful, he would still be doing it. Obviously it wasn't successful, he hasn't changed it, and you're playing mind games trying to get the kid to figure out the right conclusion instead of coaching and teaching him.

Kellans also playing 7 mpg less at UK than he did at Davidson and about the talent he playing against here is not much difference than wat he played against at Davidson especially the 7 games against the Fighting Cupcakes of Cupcake University and he shooting 40% from 3 but at Davidson he was “the man” and at UK he just another good player so maybe he is not trying to force the issue just yet until he realizes how bad we need him score the ball. I think Grady will be alright once he gets settled in a little bit and becomes more comfortable. I’m not tryin to agree or disagree with anything anyone said.. this is just kind of my observation.
Good take. My opinion on UK's need for Grady on offense might go beyond what you think is necessary. But I think this team needs Grady to be "the man" also. UK has other good players that provide more options, so I don't think that Grady needs to carry the same scoring weight as he did at Davidson. But I think he has to be the primary scorer, which means he has to take more shots - and in my opinion those shots are already there and Grady is the guy I want taking them.

Good take. My opinion on UK's need for Grady on offense might go beyond what you think is necessary. But I think this team needs Grady to be "the man" also. UK has other good players that provide more options, so I don't think that Grady needs to carry the same scoring weight as he did at Davidson. But I think he has to be the primary scorer, which means he has to take more shots - and in my opinion those shots are already there and Grady is the guy I want taking them.
Yes sir! I absolutely agree with ya. I think that will end up happening too. Is all I meant was the reason he not being as aggressive is because he might not want to come off as selfish to his teammates. I have saw him pass up a few that made me scratch my head and wonder why he didn’t shoot it in certain situations. I’d gave anything if that 3 he shot against ND that rimmed out would’ve went thru. That sucker was halfway down and come back out and that would’ve been a nice one for him to see go through the net but it just didn’t, but it’s little (or big) things like that that needs to happen for him to become more comfortable but I agree he needs to carry a lot of the weight for us to be successful. I think he just deferring at times right now not even knowing how bad we need him to score. I think he will end up having a breakout game though where it clicks and he realizes he has to score big for them to be successful. Hopefully it comes sooner than later though!!

Reactions: dl51344 and G-PIP
Yes sir! I absolutely agree with ya. I think that will end up happening too. Is all I meant was the reason he not being as aggressive is because he might not want to come off as selfish to his teammates. I have saw him pass up a few that made me scratch my head and wonder why he didn’t shoot it in certain situations. I’d gave anything if that 3 he shot against ND that rimmed out would’ve went thru. That sucker was halfway down and come back out and that would’ve been a nice one for him to see go through the net but it just didn’t, but it’s little (or big) things like that that needs to happen for him to become more comfortable but I agree he needs to carry a lot of the weight for us to be successful. I think he just deferring at times right now not even knowing how bad we need him to score. I think he will end up having a breakout game though where it clicks and he realizes he has to score big for them to be successful. Hopefully it comes sooner than later though!!
Oh I misread what you said but I do think Grady needs to carry a lot of the load. I just now went back and read it again but we do have other options just like you said but without CJ playing and Dontaie doesn’t look like he gon get out of his seat much I think Grady has got to come up big for us to be successful. Oscar is fixing to start drawing more and more heat if we don’t get better from the outside.

Reactions: G-PIP
I’ve never understood the whole not calling a timeout at the end of the game. Sure, maybe you’ll have an Aaron Harrison some years to bail you out, but most players (especially young ones) are going look like a deer in headlights with under 10 seconds. You don’t get anything for saving timeouts.
I don’t think he has a play to draw up for a situation like this. Really don’t.

Reactions: dl51344
I did. I do a lot. We enjoy laughing at the haters here. But these guys played ball.

Abused any other old people today?
Lol. I don’t think your that old bASS. Been trying to figure you out. You posted your address last year and I am 80% sure it was correct. See I had a good friend that posted just like you on a Cincy board. Loved the guy/ hated the poster. He, sadly, passed away. Just trying to figure out if you are like him- or really just a jerk. Your the only poster I criticize on this board. I’ll figure you out eventually.

Lol. I don’t think your that old bASS. Been trying to figure you out. You posted your address last year and I am 80% sure it was correct. See I had a good friend that posted just like you on a Cincy board. Loved the guy/ hated the poster. He, sadly, passed away. Just trying to figure out if you are like him- or really just a jerk. Your the only poster I criticize on this board. I’ll figure you out eventually.
Wrong again. Let me save you the trouble. If you crap on my cats, I’m a jerk.

Wrong again. Let me save you the trouble. If you crap on my cats, I’m a jerk.
Criticizing the coach isn’t necessarily always criticizing the team/program.

We criticize Cal because he is hurting Kentucky. Because we love the program. To me it represents the state. And we as Kentuckians don’t get much representation outside of UK and the Derby. We’re a small, poor and conservative southern state with only one city in Louisville that would be considered top 100 population-wise. The rest of the state is rural or small towns (not a criticism btw. It is something I’ve grown to love about the state.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dl51344
After reading this thread, I think you're just a douchebag all the time.

"I support my team." What a derpy-ass comment for a message board.

AKA... you bring literally nothing to the table except being a lame scolding cheerleader.

Ignored.
Good. I hear that a lot. I'll hear from you again.

Criticizing the coach isn’t necessarily always criticizing the team/program.

We criticize Cal because he is hurting Kentucky. Because we love the program. To me it represents the state. And we as Kentuckians don’t get much representation outside of UK and the Derby. We’re a small, poor and conservative southern state with only one city in Louisville that would be considered top 100 population-wise. The rest of the state is rural or small towns (not a criticism btw. It is something I’ve grown to love about the state.)
It is when what's is said is indefensible and unknowable. So much conjecture and BS.

Why the whining about KY? I lived there 30 years. Nothing wrong with KY. You are just basing your own self worth on how that ball team does. Not everyone in KY does that. It's kinda pathetic.

Well, you know with so many slinging crap on the program, you have to pick and choose where you use your shovel. Vast majority of these hater droppings are nothing more than drivel, conjecture and total falsehoods. Hardly worth the time.
Why do you "hate" the UK Program and Tradition KyCalFan? Supporting Cal undermines the Program and enables Cal to continue his shitshow charade that you so dearly love. You enable him which makes you a hater of the Program or too stupid to know the difference. What is it CalFan? Enlighten us. You're way in over your head trying to defend the indefensible which makes you noteworthy...just not in a good way. You do know that Cal doesn't know you nor does he give a rat's arse that you bludgeon yourself herein defending him while he destroys the greatest college basketball program to ever exist. You will forever hold a special place in the hearts of every sworn enemy of UK basketball while you defend this Snake Oil Salesman while he sullies our proud history and tradition. Why do you "hate" UK so much? You...Are...The...Hater. You are exactly what you accuse every loyal UK fan of being. You are the purveyor of Deception and Lies. Like the Emperor, KyCalFan, you have no clothes. You have been exposed.

English class helps.
That's laughable. I've noticed for some time your acumen with the language without being overly impressive and now you attempt to insult. Bass sometimes it's best when you say less. But I'm sure you will disagree in fact I would be disappointed if you didn't. You are really a special kind of "sumpin". Museum quality in fact. More like the gift that keeps on givin" and for that, we thank you from the bottom our Big Blue Hearts. Just curious how did you do in "english" class?

Don't you think you should apologize to Jumpercat?

Of course I do. And why do you think I'd explain anything to the likes of you.
Now that's poor english Bass. It's never too late to apologize to your fellow BB fan...ole' Jumpercat, whom you tried to insult. You're such a silly boy.

Why do you "hate" the UK Program and Tradition KyCalFan? Supporting Cal undermines the Program and enables Cal to continue his shitshow charade that you so dearly love. You enable him which makes you a hater of the Program or too stupid to know the difference. What is it CalFan? Enlighten us. You're way in over your head trying to defend the indefensible which makes you noteworthy...just not in a good way. You do know that Cal doesn't know you nor does he give a rat's arse that you bludgeon yourself herein defending him while he destroys the greatest college basketball program to ever exist. You will forever hold a special place in the hearts of every sworn enemy of UK basketball while you defend this Snake Oil Salesman while he sullies our proud history and tradition. Why do you "hate" UK so much? You...Are...The...Hater. You are exactly what you accuse every loyal UK fan of being. You are the purveyor of Deception and Lies. Like the Emperor, KyCalFan, you have no clothes. You have been exposed.
Thanks for providing an excellent example of a typical hater post where crap is just made up. You made my point earlier exceptionally well. Every single thing you said is false. Everything. Most of it is actually unknowable to you. But that didn't stop you. Characteristic of a hater of Kentucky basketball.

Thanks for providing an excellent example of a typical hater post where crap is just made up. You made my point earlier exceptionally well. Every single thing you said is false. Everything. Most of it is actually unknowable to you. But that didn't stop you. Characteristic of a hater of Kentucky basketball.
Strike up the band Wallace!! Cal loves it.

He actually talked down to Tom Leach like he usually does the fans last night. I thought Tom wanted to smack him.

Instead Tom just let Cal ramble on with his nonsense. Cal actually challenged Tom on his knowledge of basketball since he had "only" called games and didn't really understand the game.

Cal's arrogant and condescending treatment of others makes me want to puke. I can't stand these elitist who lord their wealth and position over us commoners.

Cal has forgotten where he came from and how he got to where he is in life.

Pride comes before a great fall.

Do any of you every apply these same concepts to yourselves?

Do any of you every apply these same concepts to yourselves?
I try to every day. God does not show respect to one person over another regardless of their social or financial status, and neither should any of us.

Having money and prestige does not make you a better or smarter person than someone who does not have what you have in God's eyes and that should apply to us also.

Being arrogant and condescending toward others are characteristics of many that are more privileged in life than others, even though they may have both come from humble beginnings.

Cal epitomizes this every time he talks down to the fans, Tom Leach, and anyone else that he chooses to. Cal has many good traits, but being a jerk toward others is not a good look for someone who has his wealth and position in life.

Money and power corrupt many good people.

Despite playing with lesser talent, Davidson had a higher adjusted offensive efficiency than Kentucky in 2 out of the 4 seasons Grady played there.

Reactions: yoshukai
Exactly, Oscar should have had over 30 points IF the coach had demanded that the ball go inside every trip down the floor. BUT he wasn't smart enough that. Even the casual fan could see that ND had no one that could handle Oscar and that he was on a roll. Everybody that is except the over paid coaching staff. Even a good high school coach would ride the player with a hot hand. Looks like he learned absolutely nothing with the loss to Wi that cost UK a title & a perfect season. I've seen mules that were this hard headed
Your mules must be more hard-headed than mine...'cause Cal beats them all

I just saw Huggins on tv a couple of days ago talking about switching to a zone and the team they were playing couldn’t adjust. Don’t know who it was they played, just walked in and the tv was on and caught that part.
We don’t have that option. Ever.

Exactly. They don't play Zone in the NBA very often. Strange coincidence. Which is even more bizarre given most of our players won't be playing in the NBA. Just another example of a lack of adjustment to his system.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT