ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP - Sign of the times

Give it 5-10 yrs and there will be an outcry from former athletes talking about the difficulties of adjusting to life after athletics.

Many were making north of 6 figures while attending college and now they have been forced to file bankruptcy while looking for employment.

The 30 for 30 Broke will apply to more than just a small segment of professional athletes.

jmw ... as a 77-year-old poster and die-hard Kentucky Wildcats fan (which really has nothing to do with the point I'm going to make) ... In my experience, all of life is a series of over-corrections. We live; we learn; we recognize our mistakes; we sincerely try to correct (and sometimes "atone for") our mistakes; and ... voila' ... out of nothing other than a sincere desire to correct our mistakes - we constantly over-correct. For me, my entire life has included a process or learning how to "correct my mistakes", without "overcorrecting". I'm still learning. And all of that may be worth exactly what you paid for it. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !

It’s amazing how quickly this escalated. We went from star players not being able to afford food to them making more in a year than most people in a lifetime. Feels like they over corrected.
The "correct correction" is to get academic institutions out of the entertainment business. Walla. The hypocrisy is gone. The disproportional allocation of resources is gone.

I don't have any psychological investment in names on a jersey or in the bureaucracy which oversees the games.

I guess the point of this was to impress recruits? Like “you can afford a Lamborghini if you come to Texas”?

Seems kind of dumb. I would’ve just put pallets of cash out on the sidewalk with each recruits name on a pile.

Reactions: chroix
Seems to be a regular "reward" for outstanding performance--

"they suggest that players get to drive a Lamborghini as long as they are in Texas, with about 4-5 players from the team receiving a lease for a Lamborghini each year, usually given to veteran leaders with about a year of college ball left.

There’s also a viewpoint that this might be the first time a transfer player has received a Lamborghini deal. It’s believed that if a player underperforms, they could lose this privilege. The Lamborghini is seen as a privilege rather than a right to join the Texas team."

rr

• Haha
Reactions: chroix and Fox2monk
Yeah, I don't think these recruits get to take them home. Not sure why this is a sign of the apocalypse. Some of these will get a lease worth $20,000. But context doesn't feed the outrage centers of the brain.

Reactions: Dncmaxwell
Yeah, I don't think these recruits get to take them home. Not sure why this is a sign of the apocalypse. Some of these will get a lease worth $20,000. But context doesn't feed the outrage centers of the brain.
Because it’s tacky. We have teachers, firemen, police, EMS that work their ass of and are treated like dirt. Yet catch a ball and get a Lambo for awhile.

I understand that’s what the market is deciding. Just expressing I think the market sucks.

What context, friend, are you referring to? Is it the 6-7 figure salary they’re making from NIL? Or is it the full-ride scholarship, valued around 50-80k/year (more or less depending on the school)? Or is it the free room and board? Wait, are we also not considering that their meals and books are also paid for? Or is it that posters are forgetting they also get free tutoring sessions and they also stay in higher quality dorms that are secluded from the rest of the campus?

It is absolutely ridiculous that people, who have never contributed anything significant to society, or their community, get to go to school for free, get fed for free, get free room and board, free books, free tutors, separate and higher level living accommodations (free), AND get a free lambo and a 6-7 figure salary to boot.

But yeah, we lack context.

Last edited:
I'd hate to be the guy that puts up better numbers at Podunk U than the Lambo kids

Those lambo kids are going to get introduced to a cutthroat world at a very early age.

while I recognize that world was going away well before NIL, there was a time where being a college athlete, regardless of whether you turned into a stat stuffer or not, mean you were part of the team and you'd continue to work and try to get better , and then you'd graduate and be honored for your commitment to the program.

An Alex Poythress wouldn't stay 4 years at a Calipari run program now, or many others programs for that matter. He wouldn't be welcome to do so. There is too much at stake.

and that's a shame

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Because it’s tacky. We have teachers, firemen, police, EMS that work their ass of and are treated like dirt. Yet catch a ball and get a Lambo for awhile.

I understand that’s what the market is deciding. Just expressing I think the market sucks.
Yeah. I'm a capitalist through and through and am all about the free market. But it shows that people's priorities really do suck.

Reactions: bbncal02
We're going to see more of the Rashee Rice-type stuff that we saw a couple months ago with players be reckless with their new toys. Unfortunately, there's probably going to be some situations that end up a lot worse than that was though.

We're going to see more of the Rashee Rice-type stuff that we saw a couple months ago with players be reckless with their new toys. Unfortunately, there's probably going to be some situations that end up a lot worse than that was though.
Henry Ruggs, doesn’t get much worse than drinking and driving and killing an innocent woman in Vegas in his Vette.

It’s amazing how quickly this escalated. We went from star players not being able to afford food to them making more in a year than most people in a lifetime. Feels like they over corrected.
I won't bother watching. I'm not going to contribute to this shit show. Not on my conscience.

Over correction? They went from non market based compensation (scholly's and food) to market based compensation. In a capitalist environment, you're worth what the market will pay you. Nobody bats and eye when a coach signs a huge contract, but let some minority kids get paid and watch everyone cry about how bad things have gotten.

Should family members of former college athletes be awarded reparation payments since their ancestors weren’t paid like todays athletes?

You might joke but the NCAA is facing a lawsuit on this very issue which is triggering the ability of universities to pay players. Players who were not able to get NIL have sued the NCAA for deprivation of earnings potential and there will be a multi-billion dollar settlement going toward them (which will be multi-million when the lawyers get their cut).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT