ADVERTISEMENT

Quotes from Cal’s call in show last night

I’ve never understood the whole not calling a timeout at the end of the game. Sure, maybe you’ll have an Aaron Harrison some years to bail you out, but most players (especially young ones) are going look like a deer in headlights with under 10 seconds. You don’t get anything for saving timeouts.

"It’ll be a hard game for us.” = OSU is going to push UK's shit in.

OSU isn't great but they play smash mouth basketball and they have played a serious schedule. The game is going to get ugly quick if Oscar goes down with fouls.
Don't think it matters. I don't see us keeping it all that close with OSU regardless of Oscar unless we figure out how to get TyTy, Mintz, Kellan scoring like they are capable of. TyTy taking only 7 shots and Kellan passing up open shots won't cut it from here on out - schedule becomes way too tough.

Oscar is amazing, but against strong, physical teams like OSU - we can't force him the ball. Even though he's putting up points, his looks haven't been clean. That didn't matter against Popcorn State and even a physically outmatched Notre Dame team, against OSU that's not going to cut it.

Don't think it matters. I don't see us keeping it all that close with OSU regardless of Oscar unless we figure out how to get TyTy, Mintz, Kellan scoring like they are capable of. TyTy taking only 7 shots and Kellan passing up open shots won't cut it from here on out - schedule becomes way too tough.

Oscar is amazing, but against strong, physical teams like OSU - we can't force him the ball. Even though he's putting up points, his looks haven't been clean. That didn't matter against Popcorn State and even a physically outmatched Notre Dame team, against OSU that's not going to cut it.
We don't need him to score. We need him to rebound and be the muscle. The rest of this team is going to fold like a cheap chair. I wouldn't be surprised to see Grady curled up in the fetal position by the time it's all over.

If Oscar scores 25 + and ND can’t stop it, why shot any threes. Make a team stop what your doing. Second, UK should have pressed to speed up the game and play their style instead of NDs. That’s why UK only scored 60 points.
Exactly, Oscar should have had over 30 points IF the coach had demanded that the ball go inside every trip down the floor. BUT he wasn't smart enough that. Even the casual fan could see that ND had no one that could handle Oscar and that he was on a roll. Everybody that is except the over paid coaching staff. Even a good high school coach would ride the player with a hot hand. Looks like he learned absolutely nothing with the loss to Wi that cost UK a title & a perfect season. I've seen mules that were this hard headed

Just like in 2010 we had the best big man in the country. We shot like 3-30ish from 3 against WVU. Cal didn’t know how to effectively attack that 1-3-1 zone and he had ****ing John Wall and Bledsoe! Then he bad Patterson and Cousins at the 4/5.

We ALWAYS play the tempo that the opposition wants to play. Cal doesn’t adjust to do anything to speed the game up. It’s one of the most frustrating things about him. That, his unwillingness to play a zone and his absolutely shitty offense.
Let’s not forget that year how bad WV was in handling the ball and throw in the fact their PG had a broken hand. If there was ever a game that screamed pressure defense it was that one. How did we approach, of course we let them walk the ball up the court and get into their half court sets all night long. I do recall picking up the pressure down 16 or so with about 6 minutes to go but of course by then it was too late. Just another super team the HOF coach couldn’t cross the finish line with. His coaching debacles were present even then, most just didn’t notice.

Just like in 2010 we had the best big man in the country. We shot like 3-30ish from 3 against WVU. Cal didn’t know how to effectively attack that 1-3-1 zone and he had ****ing John Wall and Bledsoe! Then he bad Patterson and Cousins at the 4/5.

We ALWAYS play the tempo that the opposition wants to play. Cal doesn’t adjust to do anything to speed the game up. It’s one of the most frustrating things about him. That, his unwillingness to play a zone and his absolutely shitty offense.
been saying this exact thing for 10 years
He learned nothing from that WVU game & even less in the Wi loss

He didn’t even seem to care or think it was a big deal in his responses. Just another day. We need a coach that when he loses, absolutely infuriates him. Cal has totally checked out.
like Coach Rupp and Coach Hall
coaches that UK meant something too

I thought his comment about Allen’s shooting was maybe an indication of why Dontae is struggling lately. Telling Dontae he’s got to shoot as soon as the ball touches his fingertips, that’s it’s not a game of HORSE. I think Allen is shooting it before he’s set just to get it off. Cal’s offense doesn’t get very many wide open threes like our opponents seem to get.

that's what Huggins did in the NCAA Cal's 1st year & he still hasn't figured out how to run an offense against it in 10 years
I just saw Huggins on tv a couple of days ago talking about switching to a zone and the team they were playing couldn’t adjust. Don’t know who it was they played, just walked in and the tv was on and caught that part.
We don’t have that option. Ever.

Reactions: WildcatNC
I’ve never understood the whole not calling a timeout at the end of the game. Sure, maybe you’ll have an Aaron Harrison some years to bail you out, but most players (especially young ones) are going look like a deer in headlights with under 10 seconds. You don’t get anything for saving timeouts.
I really don't have fond memories of the Harrison twins
I thought they were over rated & never lived up to their hype
Yes, I now one of them hit a couple of big shots, but they also cost UK the Wi game being ball hogs

Basically Cal said "I like the style we played. That is how we usually win and I gave myself confirmation bias that this is how we should play"...."Oh yeah, I have no idea how to coach against a zone. What did you guys do in the past when a guy played a sagging zone on you? Bc it has beat me since 2010 and I still think its not worth my time...The responsibility is yours bc this has to be team lead for us to be our best"

The ND game reminded me of that WVU game. UK was clearly the better team in both games and in the first half the only reason it was close was because of WVU/ND hitting 3s and UKs inability to not hit them. ND was not good enough to get out to a double digit lead in the 2nd half like WVU but all the 3 point ineptitude, even from our good shooters, was just a flashback to that game.

You just knew when Grady's 3 came out we were done for.

Notre Dame took better shots than us. They took more 3's and more shots at the rim. It's what allowed them to win despite losing in every other category.

We don't need him to score. We need him to rebound and be the muscle. The rest of this team is going to fold like a cheap chair. I wouldn't be surprised to see Grady curled up in the fetal position by the time it's all over.
Don’t need him to score?? Who, Oscar? Bullshit!! We need him to score baddd. We need everything he can bring to the table. We need Oscar to be on until someone else steps up and helps him.

I honestly think we'll show up for the OSU game.

I'm not saying I think we'll win but I would be surprised if we don't compete with a chance to win. The reason why is simple - the world will be on fire if UK loses and Cal knows it.

I bet you'll see a shorter leash on players who have until now had the ability to continually make bad decisions and still stay in the game. I don't need to mention their names, you know who they are. I would expect to see a Dontae Allen sighting as well.

I thought his comment about Allen’s shooting was maybe an indication of why Dontae is struggling lately. Telling Dontae he’s got to shoot as soon as the ball touches his fingertips, that’s it’s not a game of HORSE. I think Allen is shooting it before he’s set just to get it off. Cal’s offense doesn’t get very many wide open threes like our opponents seem to get.
It doesn’t even matter what Cal says about D. Allen the reason he is not playing is because he is Dontaie Allen. If he wanted to find him an opportunity,he would! There’s 200 mins to go around per game and if wanted him to get Allen in for 5-6 mins and maybe let him play through his mistakes like he said last year about not wanting to take ppls hearts then Cals the Head Coach of this sumbitch so if he wanted to find him an opportunity then he would’ve. When it comes to Allen all Cal is gonna do is talk about it, but not really be about it. Hell it’s poor defense, or then it’s bc he won’t shoot, or then it’s bc he shoots like it’s a game of horse! I don’t think Allen deserves 38 mpg, but damn I mean I think it’s totally ridiculous that he can’t get him in 7-8 mpg if he struggles then sit him til next time but he has shown that he is a little bit more than capable last year. The point is to score the ball more than your opponent 😂 it’s simple as that, but Cal wants ya to believe that Allen gives up way more than he score. Sorry about the ranting.

I really don't have fond memories of the Harrison twins
I thought they were over rated & never lived up to their hype
Yes, I now one of them hit a couple of big shots, but they also cost UK the Wi game being ball hogs
I never saw it that way, I always felt they were forced to slow it down and they didn't know what to do.

I was at that game though, and I have refused to watch it on TV since, so my memory may not be locked in.

Going inside against ND produced a lot of points. It also took away his offensive rebounding.

I honestly think we'll show up for the OSU game.

I'm not saying I think we'll win but I would be surprised if we don't compete with a chance to win. The reason why is simple - the world will be on fire if UK loses and Cal knows it.

I bet you'll see a shorter leash on players who have until now had the ability to continually make bad decisions and still stay in the game. I don't need to mention their names, you know who they are. I would expect to see a Dontae Allen sighting as well.
Hope your right about everything you said! I just don’t know that Cal has a leash for certain players. He likes to let em play through. He don’t like to take certain players “hearts” because they have families. Cals stubborn! I didn’t ever think when he first got to Kentucky that he could ever be so stubborn and let the game pass him by but that is sort of just the way I see it and I don’t even want to see it that way. I like your positivity and I, too could see us coming up with a big W, but I could also see us losing by 20. I hope you’re right though!

Reactions: dl51344
Hope your right about everything you said! I just don’t know that Cal has a leash for certain players. He likes to let em play through. He don’t like to take certain players “hearts” because they have families. Cals stubborn! I didn’t ever think when he first got to Kentucky that he could ever be so stubborn and let the game pass him by but that is sort of just the way I see it and I don’t even want to see it that way. I like your positivity and I, too could see us coming up with a big W, but I could also see us losing by 20. I hope you’re right though!
I think you're the first person to ever accuse me of having positivity but I'll take it

Which current players are you suggesting are getting too much leash?

guys, you can't put anything into what Cal says.

I doubt that conversation with Wheeler really happened, or at least as described.

He says things for the fans, he says things to recruits, he says things to players - we think of Cal as the old farmer eating an apple with a pocket knife like he is about to illuminate us with some home spun knowledge, but nothing he says should ever be taken at face value. There is *always* an ulterior motive.
We call this a liar where I come from......or at least a bull $hitter.

Wonder which one he is?

Which current players are you suggesting are getting too much leash?
I wasn’t suggesting any particular player at this point is getting too much or not enough time, but rather just saying in general that Cal doesn’t really seem to big on the whole trial and error thing. If certain guys comes down and continuously makes mistakes Cal looks at it as he is learning and to let him play through and I agree to a certain degree that you gotta let dudes play thru but at some point it’s ok to switch things up because the bench could be his best friend in certain situations. But I wasn’t suggesting anyone at this point has too much leash, but we about to find out in the next few days how much leash everyone has indeed if they struggle.

Please

keep posting facts

I’ve said this 1000 times. Amen!!!!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Well then, may be he does just roll the ball out....

Here's to hoping another Anthony Davis walks through the door and soon!
That type of player is going to Duke nowadays and it’s not going to stop. The people hoping for Duke’s downfall when K leaves shouldn’t hold their breath. Kansas is about to pass us in all time wins and Duke is the “it” school rn. And with the offense they run, I can see why (as much as it makes me want to puke saying that). The times are a changing that’s for sure

Regarding Cal's Statement:
Not calling TO at the end
“Ten seconds, nine seconds to go. Let’s talk about it and understand why I normally don’t call timeout. I normally don’t,” Calipari said. “If you call a timeout, OK, you’ve got a 30-second timeout. You bring your team over, you draw up a play."

This is part of the biggest issue - every coach in the country not named John Calipari has a couple of plays designed for last shot to win a game. Depending on which player you want to be the vocal point as you want to go with your clutch (no one on this team) player or your hot player for the game, you should be calling the play, NOT DRAWING UP A PLAY!! This once again goes back to Practice and a lack of preparation - what exactly are you doing during practice??? Nothing and that's the problem

“Ten seconds, nine seconds to go. Let’s talk about it and understand why I normally don’t call timeout. I normally don’t,” Calipari said. “If you call a timeout, OK, you’ve got a 30-second timeout. You bring your team over, you draw up a play. ‘Listen, listen! We’re going to do this! Alright, now to get it in, we’ve got to go on a zipper cut and in. Now, when we get it in, you only got 10 seconds, so we’re gonna do this.’ And then the horn goes. ‘Ah!’ And then somebody says to me, ‘What if they go zone?’ ‘Ah, go give it to Jimmy. Jimmy, just go.’ I mean, it’s not as easy as you think. The best thing you can do is let a guy go.”

“… I’m still learning about my team. Seeing that, I probably would have called a timeout. Probably would have done something, if they were man or zone, ‘Here’s what we’re doing.'”

-Asinine.

Call the damn time out. Get the ball to Oscar, or draw up a play to try and get TyTy a better look, or even have Sahvir kick it out Grady for a 3. Anything would have been better than that terrible shot over two bigger defenders for a layup from out of layup range.

Just because it's not easy doesn't mean we don't even effing try FFS. Good lord. There's talent on this team. Put them in a damn position to win the game and not chuck up that as your last hope to tie or win the game. I'd rather a missed shot come from a play than a missed shot from a bad angle.

I heard a guy on ESPN saying this today

Coach X has forgotten more about <insert sport> than I ever will know, and in no way would I think I or any number of people could do the job better, but there is one thing that he and I are equals at - and that is looking at the score at the end of the game,

and that's all I need to know that he isn't getting the job done.

“Dontaie is going to get his opportunity if guys don’t start making them,” Calipari said. “I’ve been on him about, when we do shooting drills, you cannot shoot the ball like you’re in a HORSE game. You have to be shot-ready. As you’re catching it, it’s leaving your hand to go off.”
I liked this a lot. It's a necessary directive for Dontaie or any other guard expecting to score from the 3-point line in Div. I basketball. But I think a very similar conversation needs to be had with Grady also. He has all the needed tools and skill development to be a really good shooter and scorer. But he won't shoot if there is even a hint the defender might close out on him; and he also won't drive even though he has the body and handle to do so, and finishes well. If Grady doesn't up the aggressiveness I don't think this team has any upside (unless Sharpe can provide the same - which I'm not at all confident about).

Listening to Coach Cal at times reminds me of one of those form letters where you just change the date, name, etc. All the wording is the same.
He says the same stuff each year; I love my team, I am still learning my team, these are great kids, this guy will get his chance when one of the 5*'s crap the bed, etc. Same old stuff year after year.
Just own up coach, your team screwed the pooch at ND. And that is on you.

Someone used to summarize during the show, must’ve got tired of listening.

Guard play
“I don’t want to take away from Notre Dame — we didn’t play good,” Calipari said. “Our guard play was not good at all. The movement of the ball, the spacing of our team.”

Wheeler
“The first thing is, if they play that way, you have to play a little different,” Calipari said of his conversation with Wheeler. “Maybe not do some of the things you were doing, just run our team. Just do that. The second thing is, this has to have happened to you before. Well, tell me what you did. How did you play? How did you go against it? Instead of me guessing, you tell me.”

“It wasn’t just him,” he said of Wheeler. “I thought TyTy started really solid, and maybe we didn’t go to him enough. That was an issue, we needed to. But he didn’t finish, and it was also defensively for both of them.”

We normally win these LOW scoring games
“We’re up two with a minute (and) 30 (seconds) to go,” Calipari said. “Should have won the game. We held them to 60, 62 before the last play. Do we lose games when we give up only 60 points? Normally we don’t. … As bad as it was, we still were in position to win. In my mind, we should have won — up two with a minute (and) 30 (seconds) to go. Do we have work to do? Yeah. Am I happy? Come on, you know me.”

“At the end of the day, our teams win these kinds of games,” he said. “I thought we were going to win, but we didn’t.”

Prepare for OSU
“Now we get after it for our next game with three days of football practice. Why? Because I’ve got to prepare them to play great. I told them today, I don’t know if that means win or loss, but I know how you’re going to have to play and what we have to do. We’ve got three days to get after it.”

“I said, ‘If you don’t want this, it’s too much, get the flu, whatever you want, hamstring, bad back, whatever. Step aside so we can do what we have to do.’ … It’s going to be physical.”

OSU
“They’re very physical. Their big guys are not 6-11, but they’re 6-7, long and strong,” Calipari said. “If you wait for them to get in your body, you’ve got no chance. They go high-low, set unbelievable screens, many of them on one possession. It’ll be a hard game for us.”

Talks about Tuesdays telethon for Western KY. Just including bb quotes in this post.

Oscar
“I’m really proud of him,” he said. “We’ve got to protect him, though. We’ve got to have great spacing. You have to because — are you going to let him get 50? You’re going to trap. We’ve got to do better, and that’s my mission right now.”

“Ten seconds, nine seconds to go. Let’s talk about it and understand why I normally don’t call timeout. I normally don’t,” Calipari said. “If you call a timeout, OK, you’ve got a 30-second timeout. You bring your team over, you draw up a play. ‘Listen, listen! We’re going to do this! Alright, now to get it in, we’ve got to go on a zipper cut and in. Now, when we get it in, you only got 10 seconds, so we’re gonna do this.’ And then the horn goes. ‘Ah!’ And then somebody says to me, ‘What if they go zone?’ ‘Ah, go give it to Jimmy. Jimmy, just go.’ I mean, it’s not as easy as you think. The best thing you can do is let a guy go.”

“… I’m still learning about my team. Seeing that, I probably would have called a timeout. Probably would have done something, if they were man or zone, ‘Here’s what we’re doing.'”

Thanks fans for showing out in South Bend

Dontaie Allen
“Dontaie is going to get his opportunity if guys don’t start making them,” Calipari said. “I’ve been on him about, when we do shooting drills, you cannot shoot the ball like you’re in a HORSE game. You have to be shot-ready. As you’re catching it, it’s leaving your hand to go off.”

Still thinks team has a chance
“We’ve got great kids, we do,” Calipari said. “I think we’ve got a team that before it’s all said and done, we’ll be fine. I hate losing. … Right now, we have to get back to who we are.”

Did you just apply for the job? Because you did a damn good job.

Reactions: gwjenning
I liked this a lot. It's a necessary directive for Dontaie or any other guard expecting to score from the 3-point line in Div. I basketball. But I think a very similar conversation needs to be had with Grady also. He has all the needed tools and skill development to be a really good shooter and scorer. But he won't shoot if there is even a hint the defender might close out on him; and he also won't drive even though he has the body and handle to do so, and finishes well. If Grady doesn't up the aggressiveness I don't think this team has any upside (unless Sharpe can provide the same - which I'm not at all confident about).
Which makes me wonder, How in the HELL did he score 2000 points at Davidson ? I realize he was playing against lesser competition but he HAD to be the focus of every team’s defense. How can it be that he is not ready to shoot when he gets the ball ? It’s mind boggling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT