POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Insurance is one of the reasons that costs have skyrocketed.
Absolutely correct. That was the point I was making. Although, admittedly they aren't directly comparable, look at veterinary care as an example of what arms length transactions can do. I had a yellow Lab that had her spleen removed due to cancer. The X-rays, blood work, surgery, medicine, and staying at the vet for a a couple of days, cost $1,200. That price is a direct result of an industry that evolved using arms length transactions which forced Vets to figure out how to provide a service at a cost that people can afford to pay. I bet that same surgery would cost close to $100,000 for a human. Although we rightly take much more precautions with human lives, it makes me wonder what surgeries like that could actually be done for if the industry hadn't evolved the way it did. Admittedly, the insurance system has probably funded drug research that wouldn't have happened otherwise, so there are benefits, but I wonder if it's sustainable in the long run.

Absolutely correct. That was the point I was making. Although, admittedly they aren't directly comparable, look at veterinary care as an example of what arms length transactions can do. I had a yellow Lab that had her spleen removed due to cancer. The X-rays, blood work, surgery, medicine, and staying at the vet for a a couple of days, cost $1,200. That price is a direct result of an industry that evolved using arms length transactions which forced Vets to figure out how to provide a service at a cost that people can afford to pay. I bet that same surgery would cost close to $100,000 for a human. Although we rightly take much more precautions with human lives, it makes me wonder what surgeries like that could actually be done for if the industry hadn't evolved the way it did. Admittedly, the insurance system has probably funded drug research that wouldn't have happened otherwise, so there are benefits, but I wonder if it's sustainable in the long run.

My wife went through cancer treatment late last year/early this year and it cost our carrier north of $350k. The EOBs were mind boggling.

Great points.

Off topic a bit, but similar. The rise of college tuition is a direct result of all of the "loans" that are available today. Kids would not be as likely to go to an out of state college that they can't afford if they didn't have to pay for it out of pocket.

Very rarely does a hiring manager care where you went to undergrad.

Is she ok?

Thanks for asking, yes.

She's cancer free, which is the major battle, but the chemo really effed up her immune system, and she is like perpetually worn out. She's slowly improving though.

She went through 5x weekly external radiation for 6 weeks, 6 sessions of chemo, and 5x internal radiation. She's tough as nails though. Kicked ass.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking, yes.

She's cancer free, which is the major battle, but the chemo really effed up her immune system, and she is like perpetually worn out. She's slowly improving though.

She went through 5x weekly external radiation, 6 sessions of chemo, and 5x internal radiation. She's tough as nails though. Kicked ass.
Yep, chemo is hardcore.
She will start feeling better, just takes time.

Thanks for asking, yes.

She went through 5x weekly external radiation for 6 weeks, 6 sessions of chemo, and 5x internal radiation. She's tough as nails though. Kicked ass.
I wish her and you all the best. Nasty disease that needs to be beaten.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
td7ri31utasz.jpg

Reactions: JohnKBA
That would be like me saying taking care of my family is half baked because there are other families in need. Dumb.

Exactly. Its a take on a Thomas Sewell quote: "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money."

Same concept applies here.

Reactions: duke4life831
I also have a relative in KY who graduated PharmD from Samford back in the 80s. Very valuable and worthy major.
You know, once upon a time, there weren't very many options for pharm school if you were fromn Ky. Purdue, St; Louis, UK... then you had to start turning over rocks at small schools. A lot of Kentucky Pharms went to either Samford or Mercer.

Not the same these days. You can't sling a dead cat w/o hitting a pharmacy school. Flooding the field.

Reactions: AustinTXCat

Yes. I also remember when you could have a conversation or even a Facebook post without someone always getting offended.

What’s funny is most of the people of these cultures (old enough to not be brainwashed into being offended by everything under the sun) could give two craps about someone dressing up in any of these costumes. It’s mainly more rich, guilty white people. Similar to Indian mascots in sports.

You know, once upon a time, there weren't very many options for pharm school if you were fromn Ky. Purdue, St; Louis, UK... then you had to start turning over rocks at small schools. A lot of Kentucky Pharms went to either Samford or Mercer.

Not the same these days. You can't sling a dead cat w/o hitting a pharmacy school. Flooding the field.
True. Even Texas has entered the fray with a couple new PharmD programs established over the past decade.

I know this much about salaries in backwoods communities where my cousin practices: $$ are there. 25 years ago, my cousin earned $1,500/week just 5 years after graduation. I believe he now earns around $10K per month, if not more.

True. Even Texas has entered the fray with a couple new PharmD programs established over the past decade.

I know this much about salaries in backwoods communities where my cousin practices: $$ are there. 25 years ago, my cousin earned $1,500/week just 5 years after graduation. I believe he now earns around $10K per month, if not more.
Yes, that's part of the reason we're hanging out in this particular area... money too good to leave... for now.

When she graduated 20 years ago, she got some crazy offers from Texas b/c they were still lacking pharmD programs after the requirement switched from BA to PharmD and they had a shortage of new pharmacists down there. Student loan repayment, yearly car allowances, signing bonuses, move money... for an entry-level pharmacist!

The craziest offer she got was to move to Montana and work on a reserve. It was a 5-year contract. CRAZY money and benefits. Recruiter then mentioned monthly $1000 trips to WalMart, 85 miles away, to stay stocked up in the winters... . She declined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT