ADVERTISEMENT

Per Fox.....UConn’s Dan Hurley offers honest admission about Kentucky coaching rumor: 'Be evasive'

OHIO COLONEL

All-American
Feb 11, 2009
"It never became a thing, ever, like whatsoever," he said Friday.

"Here at UConn, obviously you want your staff to be rewarded. You want the university to double down on the investments, so we can stay at the top of the mountain. So, your agent tells you with the media — basically, try not to say no without saying no. Be evasive as possible so you don't hurt his ability to get the things that he needs at UConn, to just be totally honest."

Reactions: TNTUK
The Connecticut state legislature had to approve Hurley's last raise because UConn operates in the red. They can't afford all these raises and NIL. So **** it. We bankrupt em. He gets a raise what do I care. We still hamper their financial ability to recruit going forward. Enjoy Danny boy!

I’m going with: UK knew he would say no. They offered whatever but put out leaks that it was $100m just to signal that the money is back in UK basketball. I’m sure the actual offer was less than that but still substantial enough to hopefully put a financial dent in UConn’s fiscal outlook. Price of being on top.

The other signal was all the discussion about the new NIL. UK’s about to reset the market I think because the brand of actual UK basketball is back and fans are hungry.

I’m optimistic right now. Now he just has to win.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Such an unlikable prick. Didn't want his ass anywhere near Lexington
I love Coach Cal. He won us a championship in 2012, a season. I will never forget. But I also remember all the talk on all the Kentucky boards before he came here. Everybody hated him. Everybody loved BCG before he came. Everybody hated Cal before he came, until all of a sudden he was here. Then people LOVED him.
I was against it at first, but now I am more than willing to give Pope a few years.

If I was setting the O/U for how many titles Hurley ends with, it’s 2.5. Meaning I think it’s 50/50 that he ever wins another one. It’s bonkers hard to win a title, let alone 3.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Interesting take by Seth Greenburg about potential conference realignment and where UCONN fits in to that. Not having a football team could make them uninteresting to Big10, SEC and ACC when the conferences all expand. Should he have gotten out while the getting was good? I'm happy with Pope as the hire, but I found Greenburg's take interesting.

Hurley is a jerk, there is no question about it. If we thought John Calipari was arrogant and prideful, Hurley makes him seem pretty tame by comparison. Oh, he's a great coach, there is no doubt. Back to back titles is a rare thing and he has earned some latitude for his attitude. But I don't know how well he would deal with UK and BBN. Of course, if he's winning, he could probably say just about anything. Cal got away with more when he was going to Final Fours and winning a title. But his schtick became tiresome when the wins weren't coming. I have a feeling that would be the case with Hurley. He's more honest and straight forward than Cal, but he can also be very blunt and even cruel, and a bit of a braggard. But hey, just win, right? Yes, to a point, that is definitely true. An arrogant jerk is fine to a point, so long as he wins, even if you feel almost a bit dirty for supporting it, like the way many felt for supporting Calipari when he was winning, even though he was not really building the UK brand as much as he was building his own brand and the future NBA player brands as well. I'm glad we're back to building Kentucky again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT