ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley vs Scott Drew

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
I see these two names being tossed around a lot. I don't know if either will come here or not.

For those of you who are going to post, "He won't come here". You do not know that. Your opinion is not fact. You can't prove either will come or won't come. For the love of God please be intelligent and respond to the thread accordingly.

For those who want either of these coaches after Cal, tell me your best arguments why either one of these should be UK's next coach? ( Not interested in responses like neither )

My pick is Dan Hurley. He seems like he's found his coaching grove. He comes from a family tree of coaching and basketball. Last years Uconn team was super fun to watch. He could come here and respect our tradition. He had an actual big man, not some skinny tall dude. He had a crazy 3 point shooter that he made plays for off pick and roll. That's my short spiel.

And yes, both have a title each.

Why do you want Dan Hurley or Scott Drew? Love to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Hurley isn’t coming to Kentucky. Drew has no buyout. Based on that alone, suspect Drew gets the first call…:assuming a vacancy actually existed

Reactions: KYExtemper
The point of the thread is WHY you want them here. This is a post for the posters who want Scott Drew or Dan Hurley. Learn to read.

Well, I don't want Hurley here because he doesn't want to come here since he's a northeast guy, in the northeast, and who is already at the top at his current program.

I don't know who would come or wouldn't but I do know that a UK opening would be used to get some guys a fat raise at their current school.
That is if the first call doesn't take the job.

Uhh did you read the thread? No you didn't.
It doesn't matter what the thread is, let's speculate about the actual reality we live in. Hurley is at his perfect school. Power conference team at a borderline blue blood in a geographic area he knows very well and is perfect for. There's a chance anything in this world happens, but there's about a 0.001% chance Hurley leaves his current situation.

Let's be honest about the state of the two programs over the last two decades. It would be a lateral move at best for him in an environment with higher expectations and more pressure.

I don't mind the Scott Drew choice. The guy rebuilt Baylor from a murder and drug scandal into a national champion. Probably the best rebuild of a program in the last 25 years.

And yes, his title came in the COVID year but his team the year prior to that could've also made some noise before the tournament was shut down.

It doesn't matter what the thread is, let's speculate about the actual reality we live in. Hurley is at his perfect school. Power conference team at a borderline blue blood in a geographic area he knows very well and is perfect for. There's a chance anything in this world happens, but there's about a 0.001% chance Hurley leaves his current situation.

Let's be honest about the state of the two programs over the last two decades. It would be a lateral move at best for him in an environment with higher expectations and more pressure.
Hurley is the one who would get a raise and extension.

Reactions: Farsight
This is a weirdly hostile reply to your first response. Way to get your own thread off to an awful start.
It's really frustrating when people don't read and respond with no context to the point of the thread.

I don't mind the Scott Drew choice. The guy rebuild Baylor from a murder and drug scandal into a national champion. Probably the best rebuild of a program in the last 25 years.
Hell, it might’ve been the best rebuild ever. Baylor had no real prior hoops tradition at all …and no program had ever been more of a dumpster fire at the time a new coach took over.

Not sure he still has the energy and drive to do something like that again now that he’s rich and satisfied … but that was one freaking incredible rebuild.

I don't mind the Scott Drew choice. The guy rebuilt Baylor from a murder and drug scandal into a national champion. Probably the best rebuild of a program in the last 25 years.

And yes, his title came in the COVID year but his team the year prior to that could've also made some noise before the tournament was shut down.
I watched a video about that murder mess and how they tried to cover it up. Insane bro.

Reactions: chroix
I'm not going to spend any time or energy trying to determine who the next coach should be until I know for certain that Cal is out the door and the confirmed date that is happening/has happened. Depending on when that is, a lot can change in terms of who is available and who is the right fit.

It's really frustrating when people don't read and respond with no context to the point of the thread.
We’re not obligated to respond to your posts exactly as you desire.

That dude’s response …pointing out that Drew was a far more realistic option than Hurley … seemed like a perfectly acceptable way to address the topic to me. Not sure why it seemed to trigger a a hissy fit reaction from you.

We’re not obligated to respond to your posts exactly as you desire.

That dude’s response …pointing out that Drew was a far more realistic option than Hurley … seemed like a perfectly acceptable way to address the topic to me. Not sure why it seemed to trigger a a hissy fit reaction from you.
No one knows who will be here after Cal or not until it happens. What he said was pointless to the thread. The poster saying he is not coming here is 100% opinion and not fact. People say it as if it is fact. You don't know and you can't prove otherwise. What is the point of even saying that?

It's like your trying to find something so you ask a guy where can I find this thing and the dude responds with, "you can find this other thing in this place" not even answering the question you ask. You would be frustrated too. If you don't get that analogy I'm so sorry.

Reactions: Mike-D
I feel like Hurley could come to UK and change the program trajectory fairly quickly. The culture he's built at UConn would be perfect here. I mean, when's the last time you saw Cal this fired up in the huddle? He usually just says dumb shit like "tHeY CaNt KeEp ShOoTiNg LiKe tHiS" "GoOoOo" "RuNnNn"

I also liked this quote from him: "We don't recruit players based on promising the NBA. We recruit players based on teaching how to be a man and we're gonna show you how to win and succeed. With those things, the NBA will come and get you when it's time."

No one checks more boxes than Scott Drew.
He's a winner
He can recruit at a Kentucky level.
He's Indiana born and has been living in east Texas for years so there would be no culture clash with BBN.
He also has the media skills.

Hell, it might’ve been the best rebuild ever. Baylor had no real prior hoops tradition at all …and no program had ever been more of a dumpster fire at the time a new coach took over.

Not sure he still has the energy and drive to do something like that again now that he’s rich and satisfied … but that was one freaking incredible rebuild.
It is quite crazy to think that when he took over in 2003, Baylor had been to the NCAA Tournament 1 time since 1950...1 time in 53 years! Due to to the 2003 scandal, they had 7 scholarship players in 2005. It is, hands down, the best rebuild ever in college basketball.

I'm not sure there has ever been a coach who has been at a university for 20+ years, had the success he has had, and decided to move on to a new job. It would not surprise me at all if he was not interested.

I just hope we find out soon who would say yes or no. Dan Hurley has done a great job at UConn and Scott Drew has done a great job building that program also. Either one would be a good choice for UK. You never know until you ask if anyone is interested.

Unfortunately no way Cal leaves unless he is bought out, and that ain't happening. Mitch is not going to buyout the coach he gave a lifetime contract to - he'd be fired for that alone.

That said, in a perfect world we do buyout Cal and offer Hurley 9m a year, way more than he's making at UCONN. He'd likely agree to that. Money Talks

Last edited:
I see these two names being tossed around a lot. I don't know if either will come here or not.

For those of you who are going to post, "He won't come here". You do not know that. Your opinion is not fact. You can't prove either will come or won't come. For the love of God please be intelligent and respond to the thread accordingly.

For those who want either of these coaches after Cal, tell me your best arguments why either one of these should be UK's next coach? ( Not interested in responses like neither )

My pick is Dan Hurley. He seems like he's found his coaching grove. He comes from a family tree of coaching and basketball. Last years Uconn team was super fun to watch. He could come here and respect our tradition. He had an actual big man, not some skinny tall dude. He had a crazy 3 point shooter that he made plays for off pick and roll. That's my short spiel.

And yes, both have a title each.

Why do you want Dan Hurley or Scott Drew? Love to hear your thoughts.
Dan Hurley is not coming to Kentucky, that pipe dream is never happening

Reactions: ukcatz12
Drew & Barnhart are FCA guys it’s a 100% guaranteed he's are next Coach if Louisville doesn’t snag him first

No one checks more boxes than Scott Drew.
He's a winner
He can recruit at a Kentucky level.
He's Indiana born and has been living in east Texas for years so there would be no culture clash with BBN.
He also has the media skills.
The indiana born thing would be a culture clash with us. Had he not lived in east texas.

They would both come to UK.

Both are fine coaches. Hurley could probably stand the heat better than Drew.

Neither are an upgrade from Cal.

But we have to have someone whenever Cal retires. Either of those would be fine.

We can do better.

If neither were an option I would select that. If not I would take Hurley by a mile. I think we need younger and someone who hasn’t won a championship.

Reactions: Farsight
We truly never know who will or won’t come coach here.

Granted, I was young and message boards weren’t a thing, but I remember being stunned that Rick Pitino would leave the NY Knicks with Patrick Ewing entering his prime and come to UK while on probation.

I also remember being shocked that Billy Donovan would turn down UK. Even after winning back to back championship at FL, I still thought he’d want to come retire at UK. Who knew he wanted a crack at the NBA? You never know what challenge guys want next.

Reactions: susan2361
The indiana born thing would be a culture clash with us. Had he not lived in east texas.
The “cultural fit” talk has always seemed silly to me. That’s something that may matter to a few fans, but is meaningless in end. Hell, seems like the most successful SEC coaches in recent decades have been dudes who didn’t have a lick of “southern-ness” when hired (see Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, Les Miles, Bruce Pearl, etc.).

Just find me the right guy, I don’t care if he’s culturally Afghanistani.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Please explain in detail why Hurley isn't coming.

Our only sales pitch to Hurley is money and UConn is going to counter to make him happy.

Other than that, the Hurley name has deep roots in the northeast, where he is from. He's already at a basketball program and at a basketball program coming off a national championship. He has no roots to Kentucky basketball, and in fact, the best correlation is his brother playing for '92 Duke, a program and game all UK fans hate with a passion.

So, what's our pitch? Come to Kentucky and win national championships?

Is there a small chance? Sure. If his only interest is money and UConn can't make a comparable offer, but given the rest of the context, that's unlikely.

If neither were an option I would select that. If not I would take Hurley by a mile. I think we need younger and someone who hasn’t won a championship.

Real resumes:

Coach A: 5 tournament appearance, 1 Sweet 16, 1 E8, 1 NC

So, excluding the championship year, Coach A has 0 Sweet 16's and 0 E8's.

Coach B: 11 tournament appearances, 3 Sweet 16's, 3 E8's, 1 NC

So, excluding the championship year, Coach B has 2 Sweet 16's and 2 Elite 8's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT