ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley vs Scott Drew

Why just these two ? Lloyd would be more realistic and do a better job possibly he’s got ties to a lot of good international players. And he’d probably never leave Virginia but Bennett would do a terrific job. Know everyone’s gonna say but Virginia never scores enough but with the players he could get for Kentucky they’d score plenty

Why just these two ? Lloyd would be more realistic and do a better job possibly he’s got ties to a lot of good international players. And he’d probably never leave Virginia but Bennett would do a terrific job. Know everyone’s gonna say but Virginia never scores enough but with the players he could get for Kentucky they’d score plenty
Lloyd’s buyout is 15.5 million if hired now

Why Bennett? Most of our fans HATE HATE HATE his style of play. I could see this board in meltdown mode after watching UK average 60 points a game.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Will Wade? The man that wa slapped with so many Level 1 violations that even the cheating cesspool of LSU had to finally fire him? And then had to be SUSPENDED at his new program because the terms of his Lvl 1 violations hadnt fully resolved? That Will Wade? You want that cheating POS at the most monitored school in the country just about? Yeah, great choice……
Isn’t everyone saying that we need someone that truly understands NIL? He has more experience than anyone. Been doing it for years. Actually what he did was not much worse than Bill Self, Pearl or Pitino, he just didn’t have the name to stay out of trouble. I agree he has a shady past but Cal came here with the same reputation. I know it’s a long shot but I was reading about him and he is an analytical genius and prepares for opponent like no other. That must be nice, Cal doesn’t even scout opponent.

Just my opinion, but wanting Hurley seems like a desperate move from UK. I'm good with a change at the helm, but UConn is basically another blue blood these days... five titles since 1999 I believe? Hurley coming to UK feels like Kevin Durant joining the Golden State Warriors, with UK being Durant in this case. I know we are Kentucky, but it just feels like a "if we can't beat em, join em" type move. Like would we want Bill Self to be the coach at Kentucky? I hate Kansas, and I hate UConn... would rather not them become the coach here at UK. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't want Hurley at all. And he ain't coming anyway.
UNC did take Roy Williams, it isn’t completely out of the question.

Why Bennett? Most of our fans HATE HATE HATE his style of play. I could see this board in meltdown mode after watching UK average 60 points a game.
Yeah but I don’t think he would coach that way if he could get the kind of players he could bring here. UVA is not exactly a basketball school there’s a limit to the kind of talent he can get there and he still does awesome

Hurley is laughable because he is currently at the winningest program of the last 30 years in terms of championships. He is in a region he loves and knows, and he deals with far less headaches than a coach has to deal with at UK. Not to mention, he has already built his system there. Also, Uconn can easily afford to go head-to-head with UK in terms of salary if they want to keep him bad enough. And they likely do!

Scott Drew is just an awful hire.

In 21 years at Baylor:
0 Big 12 tournament championships (has only made the final 3 times)
2 x co-big 12 regular season champions
3 E8's
1 F4 and Championship.

Before you say, "but he had a murder happen before he took over" he had them in the E8 in 2009 and 2012 and didn't get them back to there until 2021. Obviously the murder problems were mostly cured by the 2009 season and beyond, but since 2012, he has been beyond the SW16 once, and he still has 0 big 12 tournament championships.

Also, people like to claim this is UK, so he would have it easier here. Not likely. TX is incredibly takent rich state and Baylor is a very wealthy university with a lot of big donors. Lot of oil money, too. He recruits well there and has no problem building his teams with the players he wants, in his system. Which is the exact same players and system he would utilize here. That system, coach and players have only been past the sw16 1 time in the last 11 seasons, and have never won a big 12 championship.

If you want conference championships and consistent NCAA tournament wins, Drew is a horrible choice.

Last edited:
Hurley is laughable because he is currently at the winningest program of the last 30 years in terms of championships. He is in a region he loves and knows, and he deals with far less headaches than a coach has to deal with at UK. Not to mention, he has already built his system there. Also, Uconn can easily afford to go head-to-head with UK in terms of salary if they want to keep him bad enough. And they likely do!

Scott Drew is just an awful hire.

In 21 years at Baylor:
0 Big 12 tournament championships (has only made the final 3 times)
2 x co-big 12 regular season champions
3 E8's
1 F4 and Championship.

Before you say, "but he had a murder happen before he took over" he had them in the E8 in 2009 and 2012 and didn't get them back to there until 2021. Obviously those problems were cured by the 2009 season and beyond, but since 2012, he has been beyonnd the SW16 once and still has 0 big 12 tournament championships.

Also, people like to claim this is UK, so he would have it easier here. Not likely. TX is incredibly takent rich state and Baylor is a very wealthy university with a lot of big donors. Lot of oil money, too. He recruits well there and has no problem building his teams with the players he wants, in his system. Which is the exact same players and system he would utilize here. That system, coach and players have only been past the sw16 1 time in the last 11 seasons, and have never won a big 12 championship.

If you want conference championships and consistent NCAA tournament wins, Drew is a horrible choice.
Yeah, I can’t get excited about Drew. But, unfortunately, if you believe Matt Jones, IF Cal left after this year, it’s a 98% chance Drew is the coach.

Yeah, I can’t get excited about Drew. But, unfortunately, if you believe Matt Jones, IF Cal left after this year, it’s a 98% chance Drew is the coach.
Ehh, not sure I really believe Matt to be honest. I'm not saying Mitch doesn't keep a good idea of who he would like to interview in the event of a coaching departure in any sport, but I doubt it's something he shares with others or narrows down to 1.

IIRC, the story is Barnhart wasn't even very involved with the Cal hire, which is one of the reasons they've allegedly never had a strong relationship. Not sure if true or not, but if so, would he be involved now?

Can’t get excited about drew ? He’d be far from the worst option. Would still much rather go for someone like oats or even musselman though

No one checks more boxes than Scott Drew.
He's a winner
He can recruit at a Kentucky level.
He's Indiana born and has been living in east Texas for years so there would be no culture clash with BBN.
He also has the media skills.
Yeah I don’t understand how he wouldn’t be good enough. He’d be my third call after Oats and Lloyd. I don’t look at Hurley as realistic so my top candidate would be Nate Oats. I think it’s crazy that anyone wouldn’t want Oats to be our next coach he should be the clear target

Just find me the right guy, I don’t care if he’s culturally Afghanistani.
I do.

C8vz9XGXoAEr5Gq.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: saxonburgcat
Isn’t everyone saying that we need someone that truly understands NIL? He has more experience than anyone. Been doing it for years. Actually what he did was not much worse than Bill Self, Pearl or Pitino, he just didn’t have the name to stay out of trouble. I agree he has a shady past but Cal came here with the same reputation. I know it’s a long shot but I was reading about him and he is an analytical genius and prepares for opponent like no other. That must be nice, Cal doesn’t even scout opponent.
It’s not even in the same ballpark. That’s like saying a pickpocket is as bad as a serial killer.

Wade had 5 or 6 Level 1 violations. on HIM. Not the program. HIM. That’s almost unheard of.

Shady is not the right word. More like morally corrupt maggot.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Put yourself in Hurley's shoes. If you're already at a program coming off of a national championship and will be in the running to win more, are in a place geographically you already love... Would you make the move?
To go to one of the dynasties of the sport, make more money, and potentially hit legendary status in the sport, yes I would.

Even if UConn matches the money, it's not the same as UK, UNC, Duke, etc... by name only. They're not in that category. May not be fair due to recent results, but the UCLA name carries more weight in college hoops than UConn still.

Even if he has the same results at UConn vs UK, his name and historical value go much higher at UK.

The salary may end up the same, but the endorsements at UK will be much higher.

So even taking my blue tinted glasses off, I make the move if I'm him.

• Haha
Reactions: der-g -punkt
To go to one of the dynasties of the sport, make more money, and potentially hit legendary status in the sport, yes I would.

Even if UConn matches the money, it's not the same as UK, UNC, Duke, etc... by name only. They're not in that category. May not be fair due to recent results, but the UCLA name carries more weight in college hoops than UConn still.

Even if he has the same results at UConn vs UK, his name and historical value go much higher at UK.

Lol, UCONN has more NC's than any team in the last 30+ years. Their brand is every bit that of UK or any other blueblood. They also have a huge fanbase and are very passionate about their basketball programm

Coming to UK would do nothing that staying at Uconn won't already do for him.

If you were to ask the names of the CBB bluebloods at trivia night, most people would likely name Uconn before UCLA or IU.

Reactions: ukcatz12

You know UConn has won FIVE times more national titles than UK in the last quarter century, right? .

To younger people, UConn looks a lot like a “dynasty program” themselves. Especially since they’ve seen UConn’s titles with their own eyes … which ain’t the case with our rings from long ago.

The factual record certainly tends to undermine your premise that he couldn’t accomplish there when he could here.

What conference is Uconn even going to be in when realignment comes for them? Nothing to offer in football to anyone. The school isn't in a good spot going forward.

UK is the blue blood program in the safest and most profitable spot in the realignment era at the moment. Guaranteed to have a prime spot and big checks in whatever form college athletics takes next.

Uconn will likely be left in the dust along with many other schools. Hurley would be smart to go to UK if offered.

Reactions: AGEE11
You know UConn has won FIVE times more national titles than UK in the last quarter century, right? .

To younger people, UConn looks a lot like a “dynasty program” themselves. Especially since they’ve seen UConn’s titles with their own eyes … which ain’t the case with our rings from long ago.

The factual record certainly tends to undermine your premise that he couldn’t accomplish there when he could here.
Yes they have. No doubting that, but they are nowhere near UK on a National level. No where near it.

Next time you travel, count college shirts (not including home town teams) and let me know who you see more of, UConn or UK, UNC, Duke, UCLA.

My brother is a UL fan (think someone dropped him when he was young) and we have done this for years. UK is a much bigger household name nationally than UConn.

UConn has won more titles than us recently, no doubting that. But the prestige that surrounds UK, they ain't got it..

And as @WildcatNC said, where will they be in 5 years when realignment hits?

Reactions: WildcatNC
It is going to take someone that wants to be one of the guys talked about 12 months a year, it is going to take someone that loves the spotlight (in a good way). It is going to take a very good x and o coach but someone that wants that extra crap of dealing with KENTUCKY 24-7-365.

There are not many and most that think they do (will fail), like Eddie Sutton and BCG. Joe Hall knew what he was in for and he was the only one at the time that bridge RUPP to the new era. Hall was by no means my favorite coach but he did well.

The first questions is who can be that guy that can come in and handle the pressure properly. Not Drew (just a feeling).

Hurley could - would he is another great question. Would say it would be 50/50 chance for either Hurley.

Donovan (yes he can take the pressure and not bat an eye)
Vogel (yes)
Beard (do not think so) would cut and run or do something to hurt the program to stay on top.
Wade (same as beard)
Smart (same as beard)
Lloyd (just do not know enough about him)
Bennet Maybe but he is not changing his style. Some say he would coach at UK differently. The history to that is not there.

Looking at Assistants (Antigua, Payne and tons of others that have failed say UK is not the place to try).
Oats - I will become a Creighton Fan if that happens. lol

The answer to this questions is so convoluted that no matter who it will be there will be some that like and some that hate the idea and both ready to defend their views passionately like we do now. lol

Wheels on the bus....

UNC did take Roy Williams, it isn’t completely out of the question.
Roy was born in NC, graduated from UNC, played JV ball there and was an assistant for 10 years under Dean Smith. He actually turned them down in 2000 when UNC ended up hiring Matt Doherty.

There is no one out there like that for UK. I wish there was.

Reactions: WildcatNC
Ehh, not sure I really believe Matt to be honest. I'm not saying Mitch doesn't keep a good idea of who he would like to interview in the event of a coaching departure in any sport, but I doubt it's something he shares with others or narrows down to 1.

IIRC, the story is Barnhart wasn't even very involved with the Cal hire, which is one of the reasons they've allegedly never had a strong relationship. Not sure if true or not, but if so, would he be involved now?
That story is totally incorrect and recited on here like it is fact. The last 2 hires that Barnhart has made, he has brought in respected former players to help him in the search. Pratt for basketball and Couch for football. Mitch has his shortcomings, but he has also done a really good job in the last 2 hires (Stoops and Cal) of realizing that he needed a trusted voice from those respected sports after the BCG and Joker hires. Now if he would just get a trusted voice for contracts!

Mitch originally had interest in Cal in 2007, but Lee Todd would not let him consider Cal. A paragraph from an article:

But relationships can be sticky things, and few programs know that better than Kentucky's. The school has been on probation in every decade for the last 60 years, and its football program began serving a three-year sentence in 2002, just after Todd took over as president. He vowed that under his watch it wouldn't happen again. In 2007, when athletic director Mitch Barnhart brought up Calipari, Todd was so put off by Memphis's reliance on, as he puts it, "bogus high schools"—transcript-padding prep schools that the NCAA has since cracked down on—that he barred any contact. "I was uncomfortable enough," says Todd, "that I wasn't ready to do that."

Then, Mitch again approached Lee Todd in 2009. Here is some info from an article (there are many articles with info like this):

"I had some concerns about some of the players who were playing on that [Memphis] team that had gone to some high schools that really weren't the caliber of high schools I thought they should be," Todd said. "And of course, the smoke that surrounded the Marcus Camby thing [at UMass] and so forth."

The Kentucky athletic director, Mitch Barnhart, worked on his boss. "He called me the night Calipari lost in the NCAA" Todd said, "and said, 'I know you've got some concerns about Cal, but he's going to be in a hotel for three hours in Chicago. We've got a plane lined up ... and nobody will know we're going. We're going to hire him.'"

Calipari told Todd there were two premier jobs in college sports -- head football coach at Notre Dame and head basketball coach at Kentucky -- and that he had no interest in waking up the echoes in South Bend.

"Ask me anything you want," Calipari said.

So Todd did. As a Kentucky president who had lived through the hell of NCAA football probation, Todd was worried that Calipari might burn him. "I had to get over a little hurdle," Todd said. "But once I had that conversation with him and once I looked in his eye, we were done. I was ready to hire him."

That story is totally incorrect and recited on here like it is fact. The last 2 hires that Barnhart has made, he has brought in respected former players to help him in the search. Pratt for basketball and Couch for football. Mitch has his shortcomings, but he has also done a really good job in the last 2 hires (Stoops and Cal) of realizing that he needed a trusted voice from those respected sports after the BCG and Joker hires. Now if he would just get a trusted voice for contracts!

Mitch originally had interest in Cal in 2007, but Lee Todd would not let him consider Cal. A paragraph from an article:

But relationships can be sticky things, and few programs know that better than Kentucky's. The school has been on probation in every decade for the last 60 years, and its football program began serving a three-year sentence in 2002, just after Todd took over as president. He vowed that under his watch it wouldn't happen again. In 2007, when athletic director Mitch Barnhart brought up Calipari, Todd was so put off by Memphis's reliance on, as he puts it, "bogus high schools"—transcript-padding prep schools that the NCAA has since cracked down on—that he barred any contact. "I was uncomfortable enough," says Todd, "that I wasn't ready to do that."

Then, Mitch again approached Lee Todd in 2009. Here is some info from an article (there are many articles with info like this):

"I had some concerns about some of the players who were playing on that [Memphis] team that had gone to some high schools that really weren't the caliber of high schools I thought they should be," Todd said. "And of course, the smoke that surrounded the Marcus Camby thing [at UMass] and so forth."

The Kentucky athletic director, Mitch Barnhart, worked on his boss. "He called me the night Calipari lost in the NCAA" Todd said, "and said, 'I know you've got some concerns about Cal, but he's going to be in a hotel for three hours in Chicago. We've got a plane lined up ... and nobody will know we're going. We're going to hire him.'"

Calipari told Todd there were two premier jobs in college sports -- head football coach at Notre Dame and head basketball coach at Kentucky -- and that he had no interest in waking up the echoes in South Bend.

"Ask me anything you want," Calipari said.

So Todd did. As a Kentucky president who had lived through the hell of NCAA football probation, Todd was worried that Calipari might burn him. "I had to get over a little hurdle," Todd said. "But once I had that conversation with him and once I looked in his eye, we were done. I was ready to hire him."
That makes more sense.

I still wouldn't want Drew, though!

He took over a UConn program that was on probation and has improved every year at the helm, culminating in a national championship. He’s got the #1 team in America right now.

Who cares what he did at RI or his first 2 years at UConn anyways, after all, no one seems to care what Cal did in the first half of his time at UK.

I’m honestly curious…who do you think should be the guy?
I did not say I wouldn't like Hurley as the coach. I simply said between the two, I would rather have Drew simply because he has been a proven winner for years, and this is Hurley second Elite team. I like Hurley, love his fire. But like I posted above, after he losses this team, what can he do ? As far as who I want ? There are a few guys, Arizona's coach, Drew, Oates, hell even Hurly. I just would like to see what he can do after he losses a stud team. We are about to find out. Check their recruiting class for next year, not good. Now if he losses his top 5 guys from this year (definitely possible), and wins big next year, hell yes sign him up. He shoots to the top of the class w/o a doubt. He is a hot name right now, and well deserved, but he has his work cut out for him next year.

Hell, it might’ve been the best rebuild ever. Baylor had no real prior hoops tradition at all …and no program had ever been more of a dumpster fire at the time a new coach took over.

Not sure he still has the energy and drive to do something like that again now that he’s rich and satisfied … but that was one freaking incredible rebuild.
That’s why I’d call Oats. I want the younger, hungrier guy who doesn’t have his title yet. He’d kill it here.

Reactions: JesusCal26
What conference is Uconn even going to be in when realignment comes for them?
Well, it seems to me that realignment has ALREADY come for them, considering that they went from the old Big East to the AAC and then to the new Big East all in only about about a seven year period (and have won national titles in ALL THREE of those conference stops along the way).

Nobody's bounced around as a result of conference realignment as much as the Huskies in recent years. But it doesn't seem to have hurt them, considering they've won titles in three different conferences (and with three different coaches) during that time period.

Regardless of what conference you stick UConn in, they still figure out how to get the job done in March.

Reactions: der-g -punkt
These are two names I see a lot mentioned on the forum. Both have a title and nearly equal status. Was just interested to see peoples arguments for either.

The point of the thread is WHY you want them here. This is a post for the posters who want Scott Drew or Dan Hurley. Learn to read.
Why are you such a hateful person in these threads? We don't know anything for certain. But we can make an educated guess at the probability. We don't know for a fact that Cooper Flagg won't decommit from Duke and decide to come to Kentucky. THAT'S JUST SOMEONE'S OPINION. But, it's educated. There's logic and reasoning behind it.

If I could pick any coach in college basketball right now, I would take Bill Self. I do not believe Bill Self wants to leave Kansas. YOU DON'T KNOW FOR A FACT HE WON'T LEAVE. IT'S JUST SOMEONE'S OPINION. But, it sure doesn't seem likely.

If I could have any coach besides Self, I would probably take Hurley. I do not believe Hurley will leave UCONN. THAT'S NOT FACT, THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION. Why do you think he leaves? He's at a blue blood. He has proven he can win at the highest level there. Kentucky doesn't give him any extra benefit. And if everything thinks we walk in with 8-10 million dollars and steal him away--do you really think UCONN isn't going to open up the wallet to keep him?

OP: Only discuss what I want you to discuss. I know none of you think Hurley will leave UCONN, but let's play pretend anyways and tell me why you want him here.

Reactions: UK90
That’s why I’d call Oats. I want the younger, hungrier guy who doesn’t have his title yet. He’d kill it here.
I think Oats is top 5 on the list for sure. If Chris Beard didn't have that fiasco at Texas, he would be the #1 call imo. I think Beard is on the list somewhere as well.

Why are you such a hateful person in these threads? We don't know anything for certain. But we can make an educated guess at the probability. We don't know for a fact that Cooper Flagg won't decommit from Duke and decide to come to Kentucky. THAT'S JUST SOMEONE'S OPINION. But, it's educated. There's logic and reasoning behind it.

If I could pick any coach in college basketball right now, I would take Bill Self. I do not believe Bill Self wants to leave Kansas. YOU DON'T KNOW FOR A FACT HE WON'T LEAVE. IT'S JUST SOMEONE'S OPINION. But, it sure doesn't seem likely.

If I could have any coach besides Self, I would probably take Hurley. I do not believe Hurley will leave UCONN. THAT'S NOT FACT, THAT'S JUST YOUR OPINION. Why do you think he leaves? He's at a blue blood. He has proven he can win at the highest level there. Kentucky doesn't give him any extra benefit. And if everything thinks we walk in with 8-10 million dollars and steal him away--do you really think UCONN isn't going to open up the wallet to keep him?
Even if the poster said he knew Drew would not come here. Its the principle. People say "he's not 100% coming here" and they don't know. It's foolish to say someone is or isn't coming here. The entire thread is about your opinion why one should be here over the other.

If it was an educated opinion and logic behind it there would be verbiage that provided context in which that was more worded in a form of an opinion then fact. There would be more thought behind it rather then, "Hurley or Drew is not coming here, etc".

I think you're mixing things up here and seeing this on the surface level.

I think Oats is top 5 on the list for sure. If Chris Beard didn't have that fiasco at Texas, he would be the #1 call imo. I think Beard is on the list somewhere as well.
Chris Beard is who it should be. Unless you're getting Jay Wright, Donovan or Brad Stevens.

He has had success at every place he has coached, and he does it very quickly as well. He is still pretty young and very hungry. I think he has the tough skin that he could handle this job.

He can recruit, and his teams play great defense and hustle their asses off.

I get he had legal issues, but they were dropped. In this country, innocent until proven guilty should mean something. Also, it's not like he would be coaching the women's team.

Reactions: gojvc and Farsight
Well, it seems to me that realignment has ALREADY come for them, considering that they went from the old Big East to the AAC and then to the new Big East all in only about about a seven year period (and have won national titles in ALL THREE of those conference stops along the way).

Nobody's bounced around as a result of conference realignment as much as the Huskies in recent years. But it doesn't seem to have hurt them, considering they've won titles in three different conferences (and with three different coaches) during that time period.

Regardless of what conference you stick UConn in, they still figure out how to get the job done in March.
Dude. Realignment don't give a sh*t about basketball.

There might be a 4 conference playoff to determine national championships soon. Basketball will probably follow suit as well eventually for those conferences.

It will likely matter going forward.

Even if the poster said he knew Drew would not come here. Its the principle. People say "he's not 100% coming here" and they don't know. It's foolish to say someone is or isn't coming here. The entire thread is about your opinion why one should be here over the other.

If it was an educated opinion and logic behind it there would be verbiage that provided context in which that was more worded in a form of an opinion then fact. There would be more thought behind it rather then, "Hurley or Drew is not coming here, etc".

I think you're mixing things up here and seeing this on the surface level.
No, I think you insult someone in half of your posts.

"Can you not read?!?!"

You come across as a jerk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT