ADVERTISEMENT

Now that we have Cyril and Fland, how does UK close out the '24 class?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
My hope:

6'6" F Karter Knox
6'9" C Jayden Quaintance
6'6" F Billy Richmond

Bring back Ivisic, Sheppard, Thiero, Hart, and Burks.

Add two high-level grad transfers and we're golden.

G - Fland - Sheppard
G - Sheppard - Hart
F - Knox - Richmond
F - Thiero - Ivisic - Burks
C - Quaintance - Ivisic - Cyril

The expectation with Big Z is that he will be OAD. Hart, Burks, Thiero are just as likely to transfer as they are to return. We've seen how bench players handle it here the last few years. If Sheppard plays like people are expecting him to, he is certainly going to explore his draft potential next spring. I would say we will once again be trying to field a mostly new team come April.

Ivisic is gone. He's already pulled out of the draft twice. If he does it a third time he's in for good because backing out a third time means he can't enter the draft again.

Reactions: gharding07
My hope:

6'6" F Karter Knox
6'9" C Jayden Quaintance
6'6" F Billy Richmond

Bring back Ivisic, Sheppard, Thiero, Hart, and Burks.

Add two high-level grad transfers and we're golden.

G - Fland - Sheppard
G - Sheppard - Hart
F - Knox - Richmond
F - Thiero - Ivisic - Burks
C - Quaintance - Ivisic - Cyril
Sounds like a good class. I’d love to get 2 impact transfer as well to have some upper class help. I think your prediction is exactly what we should hope for.

I think Quaintance is going to play the 4. He can put the ball on the floor very well for a player his size.

I'd expect the 5 to be Onyenso/Cyril, unless Ivisic is back, however unlikely. That's a great two-man combo of strength (with Quaintance). It would rival that of Jones/Harrelson and Patterson/Cousins on that front.

I really like Fland and Soph Sheppard in the backcourt, just as good as freshmen Wagner, Dillingham, and Sheppard.

If Calipari can lock up Peterson or Knox, that is one heckuva backcourt. Throw in Richmond, who is edging into the 5-star/McD's AA conversation and it's a massive haul. Even Travis Perry could join.

Ivisic will not be back. Don’t do this to yourselves. Neither will Dilly.
PJ, Jones, Harrison twins, Oscar, Richards, EJ, Hagans, IQ, Poythress, Gabriel, WCS, Ulis, Lee, Dakari, Wiltjer, Miller, Lamb, etc. Dillingham and Ivisic lend themselves to being in a similar player comp position from a present draft position. Guys that would usually be ranked between 10 to 20. Dillingham might be hell-bent on leaving for the pros like Livingston was, but it won't be because of his overabundance of present talent that he leaves or because the NBA necessarily covets him right now.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
PJ, Jones, Harrison twins, Oscar, Richards, EJ, Hagans, IQ, Poythress, Gabriel, WCS, Ulis, Lee, Dakari, Wiltjer, Miller, Lamb, etc. Dillingham and Ivisic lend themselves to being in a similar player comp position from a present draft position. Guys that would usually be ranked between 10 to 20. Dillingham might be hell-bent on leaving for the pros like Livingston was, but it won't be because of his overabundance of present talent that he leaves or because the NBA necessarily covets him right now.
I don't believe either will be back. I get and agree with what you point out, however we are in a different day and player mindset than most of the players you mention. Livingston prime example of today's players(NBA at all costs)

We are off to a good start for next year, credit where credit is due. I'm not a Cal fan at all but he and this staff seem to be back on track bringing in top classes. Now it remains to be seen what he does with the talent here, job one, get them on the floor instead of sitting on the bench, job two, win games, job three, play better in the post season(both SECT and NCAAT)

We are off to a good start for next year, credit where credit is due. I'm not a Cal fan at all but he and this staff seem to be back on track bringing in top classes. Now it remains to be seen what he does with the talent here, job one, get them on the floor instead of sitting on the bench, job two, win games, job three, play better in the post season(both SECT and NCAAT)
My general view towards Cal has always been this: as long as he brings in truly elite players, I'm fine with him. The problem with Cal was that between 2018 and 2022, he didn't bring in that many truly transcendent freshmen. If he can set the deck back to what it was mostly from 2009-2017, I'm find with him sticking around for another 6 or 7 years.

After all, his best masterpieces have come when he has top 5 picks on his rosters.

Ivisic will not be back. Don’t do this to yourselves. Neither will Dilly.
I’d be floored if Ivisic comes back. Assuming that he’s eventually cleared to play. It’s not every day that you see a 7-2 guy who can knock down 3s, lead fast breaks & drop no look passes off the dribble. It’s entirely plausible that his game won’t translate here as well as it would seem to on film. Especially, with the possibility of Calipari anchoring him to the post.

But, even if he does underwhelm, his size, skillset, versatility & mobility will most likely get him drafted early, if not in the lottery. There’s just too much there for NBA teams to work with, IMO, for them to let him slip into the back end of the 1st round unless he’s undeniably terrible this season. But, if he adapts well to CBB & is used properly, he might end up being our best player, IMO. But, admittedly, I’m higher on him than most seem to be.

Would love to land him. He was a big fan of Terrance Clarke and called him his "blueprint."

We're in pretty good shape with a bunch of the '25 guys.
I’m in Boston and all the youth basketball players here revere TC as a god. He’s the most famous Boston player in a long time.

Definitely wouldn’t be shocked if Dybantsa wants to follow in his footsteps. A lot of kids around here kinda look at him like the next Terrence Clarke.

I don't believe either will be back. I get and agree with what you point out, however we are in a different day and player mindset than most of the players you mention. Livingston prime example of today's players(NBA at all costs)
I think it is more player specific. Most US guys like livingston are told they are 1 and done nba guys for 5/6 years before they ever get to college and that is hard to get out of a young guys head when others around him may be pushing him too. With social media more people are telling more kids this so I agree to an extent, but some kids still value the college experience and I could see a foreign kid like Ivisic, or a local legacy like reed choosing to come back even with a shot at the nba.

I'm permanently soured on the re-class recruit. My inclination is to hit the portal to fill in cracks if you're missing one or two pieces to your recruiting class.
We'll see how it goes this year but I like Cal's teams when he has talent. Don't care how old they are. Saw the "veteran" guys crap the bed who weren't highly recruited out of HS and don't care to see that ever again. Specifically at guard.

I'm taking Jayden Quaintance every day of the week if he wants to come to Kentucky. You can get a Caleb Wilson and or Darryn Peterson-you take them. They are big time talents. Everyone was frustrated Kentucky wouldn't get Cooper Flagg--he reclassified.

The '25 class is seen as one of the best classes in a long time and you want to maximize getting as many players as possible from that class too.

I gotta learn the 2023-2024 roster before I even think about next year

Haven’t really kept up since the end of last season, rarely have checked this board. Ready for games to start
You didnt watch us in Canada? I'm already too familiar lol. Getting more excited than I should honestly..again..

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You didnt watch us in Canada? I'm already too familiar lol. Getting more excited than I should honestly..again..
I watched a few minutes of 1 or 2 games and think I played on my phone the entire time tbh. I was in full baseball mode at that point

Dybantsa was in the 2026 class and just reclassified into the 2025 class. He is older than Quaintance and about the same as Flagg and Peterson, but moving up two grades would be quite the feat.
I don’t really keep up with it. I do know the kid is a stud and I want him regardless of class!

We are in a different era. Hell, Lamb and Jones were over 10 years ago, and they only came back because of the NBA lock-out, if you recall ... and I think WCS only returned due to that ankle injury that kept him out of the Final Four.

We are in a different era. Hell, Lamb and Jones were over 10 years ago, and they only came back because of the NBA lock-out, if you recall ... and I think WCS only returned due to that ankle injury that kept him out of the Final Four.
No disrespect to you but I'm not buying it. Duke just returned about three or four NBA prospects. Other programs routinely return fringe first rounders. Kentucky is a culture to its own. It's not a sign of the times as much as it's a sign of a cultural problem created by our head coach.

Ivisic is gone. He's already pulled out of the draft twice. If he does it a third time he's in for good because backing out a third time means he can't enter the draft again.
What is the purpose of a dumb rule like that.

Jeremiah Fears is ours if we want him. He told me this to my face. Not sure he's a reclass candidate, however.

We've also made serious overtures with Meleek Thomas, Koa Peat, and Caleb Wilson.
Did you happen to tell him what you thought of our coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT