ADVERTISEMENT

With Big Z on board, let's talk potential 2024-2025 frontcourt.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
It's not unreasonable to discuss the potential return of Big Z next season. I do think he'll contribute by March for the current team, but I really think his legacy at UK extends into a second year with our program.

Right now, our frontcourt next season is likely to consist of the following:

7'1" 230lb Zvonomir Ivisic - sophomore
7'0" 230lb Ugonna Onyenso - junior
6'10" 245lb Somto Cyril - freshman
6'9" 235lb Jayden Quaintance - freshman
6'8" 225lb Abou Thiero - junior

That's a sufficient frontline, and one that features a little bit of everything. Assuming Calipari adds Knox, we will have four guys who can play the small forward spot in Thiero, Knox, Richmond, and Burks. Ivisic and Onyenso as veteran frontcourt players would give us elite rim protection. Thiero and potentially Burks as small-ball fours would allow UK to create matchup advantages as the four. Quaintance is a potentially transcendent stretch four who has top 5 pick potential. Cyril would be able to develop his skill set as the frontline's 5th man in the rotation.

I like the looks of this frontline. All five guys are future NBA players. At least one of them is a future lottery pick (JQ) and Ivisic and Onyenso are both potential future top 40 picks.

If we land Jasper Johnson as the reclass (@bucsrule8872 's favorite guy), the backcourt could also be potentially lethal with a Sheppard return, Fland, Johnson, Richmond, Perry, and Knox.

I like the way things are developing for next year's squad. Obviously, our success next season will depend mightily on Sheppard coming back, but I don't think that's far fetched. I put it at a fairly decent probability, actually.

I think he's going to the NBA.
I think they all lean that way, obviously, but he's a late 2nd round pick right now. Does he have the potential to become a top 20 pick with more development and time? Absolutely. He's one of those rare guys who stands to exponentially gain draft stock by returning. Being that's he's two months late to the season, I think it's actual probable that he returns.

I dont see both ugonna and z here next season.
Most of us didn't see Wagner, Dillingham, Sheppard, and Reeves all here this year. That's a crowded backcourt, but Cal's made it work and the players have bought in.

Onyenso and Z would both play a ton of minutes next year. Maybe they're impatient and they'll leave, but if they do, it won't be because the NBA promises them a first round pick status.

I think Burks might transfer, if that is the case.

He’s not getting minutes in this situation.

We are looking at Ivisic and Onyenso splitting time at the 5. Cyril is going to need minutes at the 5 as well. The 5 spot will look strong.

Quaintance is a potential star and will play exclusively at the 4 spot, if Onyenso and Ivisic both return.

Thiero is the backup for Quaintance.

Knox or Richmond at the 3. Thiero also gets some minutes at the 3.

Sheppard, Fland, and Johnson at the 1 and 2 spots.

9-man rotation:

Sheppard
Fland
Johnson
Knox or Richmond
Thiero
Quaintance
Ivisic
Onyenso
Cyril

It's not unreasonable to discuss the potential return of Big Z next season. I do think he'll contribute by March for the current team, but I really think his legacy at UK extends into a second year with our program.

That's a sufficient frontline, and one that features a little bit of everything. Assuming Calipari adds Knox, we will have four guys who can play the small forward spot in Thiero, Knox, Richmond, and Burks. Ivisic and Onyenso as veteran frontcourt players would give us elite rim protection. Thiero and potentially Burks as small-ball fours would allow UK to create matchup advantages as the four. Quaintance is a potentially transcendent stretch four who has top 5 pick potential. Cyril would be able to develop his skill set as the frontline's 5th man in the rotation.

I like the looks of this frontline. All five guys are future NBA players. At least one of them is a future lottery pick (JQ) and Ivisic and Onyenso are both potential future top 40 picks.

If we land Jasper Johnson as the reclass (@bucsrule8872 's favorite guy), the backcourt could also be potentially lethal with a Sheppard return, Fland, Johnson, Richmond, Perry, and Knox.

I like the way things are developing for next year's squad. Obviously, our success next season will depend mightily on Sheppard coming back, but I don't think that's far fetched. I put it at a fairly decent probability, actually.
Z ain’t coming back bro

If you’re watching this debut and you think he’s here for a second year, you’re nuts.

If you’re watching this debut and you think he’s here for a second year, you’re nuts.
Dear God, help these fans to actually pay attention to the threads they comment in. I love my fellow fans, but their reading comprehension is frustrating at times. I do ask that you bless them, their families, and their ability to read a thread.

He'll be back.
I Dont Think So The Muppets GIF by ABC Network

There is 0% chance he returns unless this game was some abberation.

When a player in the 6-foot range makes his first 4 threes in a row? Ok, it's awesome, but no one is really taking a huge notice.

But when a 7'2" guy makes these threes? Every single NBA scouting department is salivating at this guy.

He's going top 5 next year, and based on what I'm seeing in the NBA mock drafts, with a lot of guys that don't "wow" me, I wouldn't be shocked if he goes #1 overall.

Passing, can shoot 3's, can block, play defense, he clearly has great basketball IQ, and he has NBA size and then some. He defines the phrase "he's gone!".

Dear God, help these fans to actually pay attention to the threads they comment in. I love my fellow fans, but their reading comprehension is frustrating at times. I do ask that you bless them, their families, and their ability to read a thread.
You should probably edit the first line of your post. I mean, we’re not reading past that because it’s delusional.

My post isn't to knock you at all SOS.. just giving my assessment, and more so that every single NBA team's scouting department just turned this game on.

What Big Z did in this first half.. it's a showing that you just don't see much in college. It's truly remarkable.

But here's why I'm not even worried about him going:

- He is going to open up European recruiting for us (if we choose to).
- He's now college basketball players top5 "must watch" type of guys, drawing lots of attention to us.
- He's going to be a prominent UK player in the NBA.
- And most importantly, he makes Kentucky a true top 5 team, likely a 1-seed, and a very tough team to take out in the tournament.

Of course I'm getting a LITTLE ahead of myself, this is assuming we have at least 80% of what we're seeing tonight.

But here's why I'm not even worried about him going:

- He is going to open up European recruiting for us (if we choose to).
- He's now college basketball players top5 "must watch" type of guys, drawing lots of attention to us.
- He's going to be a prominent UK player in the NBA.
- And most importantly, he makes Kentucky a true top 5 team, likely a 1-seed, and a very tough team to take out in the tournament.

Of course I'm getting a LITTLE ahead of myself, this is assuming we have at least 80% of what we're seeing tonight.
If Z is competent the rest of the year, we become almost impossible to defend. We're already #1 in scoring in the nation, and now we add a multi-tool weapon who can hit 23 foot three pointers.

This is insane. Get Thiero back and this is easily the deepest UK team since 1996.

If Z is competent the rest of the year, we become almost impossible to defend. We're already #1 in scoring in the nation, and now we add a multi-tool weapon who can hit 23 foot three pointers.

This is insane. Get Thiero back and this is easily the deepest UK team since 1996.
Sheppard
Dillingham
Thiero
Ivisic
Onyenso

Easily the best 2nd unit in college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT