ADVERTISEMENT

Would you take this coaching Staff for the next 5 years?

Would you take this for the next 5 years?

• Total voters

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
As many of you were starting to get excited about this team, CCC leaked that it's fool's gold as of now. I had a vivid dream last night and it was wild. CCC retired after this season. We made a final 4 and lost to Houston by 15.

Some how Mitch was pressured to make this hire...

Coaching Staff
Rick Pitino
Mark Pope
Jeff Shepard
Derek Anderson
Tyler Ulis

Our 2024-2025 Roster
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Adou Theiro
Aaron Bradshaw
Big Z
Justin Edwards
Boogie Fland
Billy Richmond
Travis Perry
Somto Cyril

Who De-Committed
Jayden Quaintance - Went to Baylor
Karter Knox - Went to Louisville

Who Left
DJ Wagner - Transferred to Memphis
Reeves - Graduated
Mitchell - Graduated
Onyenso - Transferred to NC State
Jordan Burks - Transferred to Florida

Starters
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Big Z

Would you take this for the next 5 years? It was a weird surreal dream. I know it won't happened so don't post about that.

Would take that coaching staff in a heartbeat.

Kentucky x 2 Pitino would not be St. John’s Pitino. He would feel like he was permanently six years old on Christmas. With a chance to right all the wrongs in his life. He would be obsessed with absolute perfection, with the basketball mind, the experience, and the resources to make it happen.

Incidentally, when I first read this poll without seeing it unpacked in the first post, I instantly voted no. I thought it was asking about Cal’s staff. Cal is so jaded and I’m so over his narcissism. Don’t want him here anymore even if we win the title this year.

Last edited:
As many of you were starting to get excited about this team, CCC leaked that it's fool's gold as of now. I had a vivid dream last night and it was wild. CCC retired after this season. We made a final 4 and lost to Houston by 15.

Coaching Staff
Rick Pitino
Mark Pope
Jeff Shepard
Derek Anderson
Tyler Ulis

Our 2024-2025 Roster
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Adou Theiro
Aaron Bradshaw
Big Z
Justin Edwards
Boogie Fland
Billy Richmond
Travis Perry
Somto Cyril

Who De-Committed

Who Left
Reeves - Graduated
Mitchell - Graduated

Starters
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Big Z

Would you take this for the next 5 years? It was a weird surreal dream. I know it won't happened so don't post about that.
I’d take that all day long for next years roster by itself without cal leading the charge. I do think pitinos best days are behind him but would get a little boost of energy with the hire plus overall we could not go wrong with that staff, especially pope sitting 2nd seat.

Reactions: Farsight
This won't happen but it was just an interesting dream. I think this would be the best way for Mark Pope to become the next coach is to be heralded under Pitino. Mark Pope isn't in my first 5 calls when CCC leaves though.

Why would you not take Shep and DIlly back? What if this is the only way for them to come back? Would be insane lol

Don’t see Dillingham back when projected in the top 5 or 10 picks. I could see Sheppard but hard to say if projected top 3 or 5 so seeing both come back is unlikely. Also don’t see 2 of the 3 bigs back. Transfers could happen, but could also see Wagner back because he will still get his time next year. I know it’s a major hypothetical all the way around, but just doesn’t seem all that likely…not as unlikely as having that coaching staff though. It’s an interesting thought all around though.

Coaching Staff
Rick Pitino
Mark Pope
Jeff Shepard
Derek Anderson
Tyler Ulis

Our 2024-2025 Roster
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Adou Theiro
Aaron Bradshaw
Big Z
Justin Edwards
Boogie Fland
Billy Richmond
Travis Perry
Somto Cyril

Who De-Committed

Who Left
Reeves - Graduated
Mitchell - Graduated

Starters
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Big Z

YES ABSOLUTELY.

No. But it doesn’t matter what I would like.

If we had that staff I would want us to win every game just as I do now.

You will never see a day that I want UK to lose because I don’t like the coach.

I think IF Pitino were to come back fans would expect an immediate return to 1996.

Now, there's nothing better that I'd love to see. But I don't know if the game would allow that today.

NIL. Transfer portal.

RP's reputation has taken a hit since leaving Camelot.

Wanting Rick back is a little like wanting your X back who cheated on you.

You remember all the good times, she was hot in a bikini....could cook....but ignore what she turned into after leaving you and WHY she left you.

Pitino is probably the best college basketball coach in the game, He just took his first year St. John’s team to 20 wins and within 5 points of UConn in the big east tournament. I wish he hadn’t left UK when he did, I’m pretty sure we would have had more titles. But he’s what 70 years old? A lot has happened since he left, the worst was taking the UL job imo. Great coach but made a lot of bad personal decisions. I seriously doubt he would ever be considered to coach UK again even though his name is in the rafters. I really don’t know what the answer is, but the current trend we are on is not good. In a few weeks after the NBA draft, I assume we will start all over again

Mark Pope is on the Naismith coach of the year watchlist. You think he’s going to go be an assistant the following season?

Coaching Staff
Rick Pitino
Mark Pope
Jeff Shepard
Derek Anderson
Tyler Ulis

Our 2024-2025 Roster
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Adou Theiro
Aaron Bradshaw
Big Z
Justin Edwards
Boogie Fland
Billy Richmond
Travis Perry
Somto Cyril

Who De-Committed

Who Left
Reeves - Graduated
Mitchell - Graduated

Starters
Reed Sheppard
Rob Dillingham
Justin Edwards
Adou Thiero
Big Z

That is a wild dream.

People here have screamed about Bill Self and Rick Pitino for years, making all manner of insinuations about morality and stuff. And yet some here would welcome Pitino back. It's distressing to have to point out that you can't do both. And it's almost as distressing to point out that it's now almost 30 years since Pitino left. The man isn't even vaguely the same guy.

Ditto the distress to point out that Pitino couldn't be hired here and that pining for both the unsavory and the impossible is weird masochism. What you do in the privacy of your own homes is your business, but then you'll just come here and moan over it.

People here have screamed about Bill Self and Rick Pitino for years, making all manner of insinuations about morality and stuff. And yet some here would welcome Pitino back. It's distressing to have to point out that you can't do both. And it's almost as distressing to point out that it's now almost 30 years since Pitino left. The man isn't even vaguely the same guy.

Ditto the distress to point out that Pitino couldn't be hired here and that pining for both the unsavory and the impossible is weird masochism. What you do in the privacy of your own homes is your business, but then you'll just come here and moan over it.
People who would want Pitino or Self have lost their minds and forgotten the most basic lessons of history. You don't need to hire a lying slimeball to win.

But does that have anything to do with Cal and his staff? No. They underachieve, and it is getting scarier. They have to be the most expensive college basketball staff in the country. Results? Good class ranking, then the team plays like someone forgot to scout the opponent. How do we lose at home to UNC Wilmington? How do we lose at home to some of the same teams we beat on the road? How does a coach who boasted about defense earlier in his career allow so many straight line drives to the rim now? How does a coach with 3 seven footers get outrebounded so often by smaller teams? How does a coach with one of the top classes in the country every year lose at least 10 games a year, and lose almost every close game? Inquiring minds sure want to know.

People who would want Pitino or Self have lost their minds and forgotten the most basic lessons of history. You don't need to hire a lying slimeball to win.

But does that have anything to do with Cal and his staff? No. They underachieve, and it is getting scarier. They have to be the most expensive college basketball staff in the country. Results? Good class ranking, then the team plays like someone forgot to scout the opponent. How do we lose at home to UNC Wilmington? How do we lose at home to some of the same teams we beat on the road? How does a coach who boasted about defense earlier in his career allow so many straight line drives to the rim now? How does a coach with 3 seven footers get outrebounded so often by smaller teams? How does a coach with one of the top classes in the country every year lose at least 10 games a year, and lose almost every close game? Inquiring minds sure want to know.
Players First will be wearing on fans who don't share the vision.

I think Calipari should re-think what Players First entails now in the face of NIL money. Lots of his policies revolved around the fact that programs and coaches made money while the players got virtually spit. Now, players are compensated. And some are compensated very well. Formerly all the backhanders came from a handful of wealthy leeches and hangers-on. Now, some of that is coming from more ordinary fans. Wins and losses mean more to them and their feelings should be factored in.

That's a pretty detailed dream. You saw all that in your dream, eh?
Yeah I have vivid dreams a lot. My first UK basketball one in a long a while. Last one was when Trump was at the championship game, we were playing against Duke and he fired all 3 refs at half time lmao.

Players First will be wearing on fans who don't share the vision.

I think Calipari should re-think what Players First entails now in the face of NIL money. Lots of his policies revolved around the fact that programs and coaches made money while the players got virtually spit. Now, players are compensated. And some are compensated very well. Formerly all the backhanders came from a handful of wealthy leeches and hangers-on. Now, some of that is coming from more ordinary fans. Wins and losses mean more to them and their feelings should be factored in.
These days, a college football or basketball player can earn more in a short college athletics career than a normal middle class American earns in 10-20 years.

College is supposed to educate students for an productive life. Student athletes play college sports for a free education. College was never meant to promote profiteering.

Colleges make money off athletics. What happens with the revenue? Some is reinvested in the school's sports programs, and some is used for capital expenses of running and improving the school. Every student indirectly benefits.

But athletes these days are not settling for every student benefitting, even though other students pay tuition, and even though students who don't pay tuition are paid for by revenue sharing from tuitions of students who do pay. This last point is critical. Each college has hundreds or thousands of students who don't pay tuition even though not on scholarship, because of the FAFSA system and other forms of need based tuition forgiveness. These funds come from other students' tuition or from federal programs funded by other people's tax money. This would be the best and fairest use for athletics revenue, rather than giving it to a small, privileged class of student athletes.

If a college student invents something or devises a formula for a new drug or chemical using the school's facilities and other wherewithall, it belongs to the school. Many schools have that same principle incorporated into their faculty contracts. If a student or faculty member wins a grant, that grant goes into the school's catalog. It is not property of the student or faculty member.

But, because there is so much revenue, it must be shared with athletes? This is a money grab by opportunistic clients with ambitious attorneys. It is succeeding because ambitious attorneys pick a receptive court in which to file. Attorneys on this board might not like this being discussed, but they know it is the truth. My father was a successful attorney and he wanted me to attend law school. I got through UK on a baseball scholarship and now I am a baseball coach in Houston. But I have never forgotten what my father taught me about the tort system. Attorneys make a living by identifying conflicts and getting paid for advocacy. Attorneys have made very good money representing clients whom they portray as victims. Student athletes included. But student athletes are not victims. By choice, they are recipients of free educations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT