ADVERTISEMENT

Most powerful person in college basketball

The fact that Rick Pitino received multiple votes is a telling sign that Rick and Richard Pitino were interviewed.

Coach K at 43% and Cal at 20% for 1 and 2 just isn't accurate though. It might be the way the coaches interpreted the question (or the way it was phrased to elicit a particular response) but it isn't true. To think they're more powerful than conference presidents or NCAA administrators is silly.

I think it speaks more to how other coaches view things like recruiting, TV airtime, officiating, etc. I'd love to hear some candid thoughts on those.

Reactions: TopCatCal
Cal is #1 and everybody knows it, including the phony in Durham. It's why he changed his recruiting, it's why he has a pro day now, it's why he is worried, because Cal is at THE place.
The article is just trying to prop the phony up one last time to help his recruiting and to try hold Cal off for a little bit. Don't buy it for one second.

I don't see how Cal isn't number one for the simple fact that he has shaped college basketball over the last decade. He created the one and done culture that everyone uses now and has come to define NCAA basketball. He was the first to hold a pro day during the summer and who followed suit? K and Pitino. College basketball operates the way it does right now because of Cal.

I know we like to see everything as a slight and think this is something to "win," but if you think John Calipari is the most powerful man in college basketball I would ask you why you think he made Enes Kanter ineligible, won't take a chance on kids like Ayton, Bagley and Duval, gives us a terrible draw in the tournament most of the time and lets John Higgins call the biggest game of the season against a team that still hasn't been given the death penalty and had three banners taken down.

Cause if that guy is the most powerful, we'd be in a lot of trouble if it was someone else at the top.

I agree with them listing K #1 and Cal #2. Let's face it USA basketball took K to another level in recruiting. He is untouchable by the NCAA and like the story said if Calipari had things go on in his program that K has he would have been banned from coaching.

The fact that Rick Pitino received multiple votes is a telling sign that Rick and Richard Pitino were interviewed.

Coach K at 43% and Cal at 20% for 1 and 2 just isn't accurate though. It might be the way the coaches interpreted the question (or the way it was phrased to elicit a particular response) but it isn't true. To think they're more powerful than conference presidents or NCAA administrators is silly.

I think it speaks more to how other coaches view things like recruiting, TV airtime, officiating, etc. I'd love to hear some candid thoughts on those.
I bet if Coach K were exposed as having boinked on a restaurant table a person other than his wife and had a ho train coming in and out of the players dorms he would have been fired. The faculty would have demanded it.

Honestly, I think K and Pitino are 1 and 2 due to their ability to get their assistants hired for some pretty good head coaching gigs without any head coaching experience. I know Pitino in particular works the phones very hard for his assistants and former assistants, and ADs trust his advice for some reason.

I have to agree that it's K. No other coach can get recruits eligilble to play when they do not have enough credits to enter college. He is the only coach who will not have his program investigated when he has players who have obviously taken money from agents. He has had parents of recruits get overpaid jobs that they are not qualified for. If it had been Cal, at #2, there would have been expose's, investigations, scandal, and probably the death penalty for the program, and yet K skates it all. So, yes, he must be the most powerful.

I bet if Coach K were exposed as having boinked on a restaurant table a person other than his wife and had a ho train coming in and out of the players dorms he would have been fired. The faculty would have demanded it.

Honestly, I think K and Pitino are 1 and 2 due to their ability to get their assistants hired for some pretty good head coaching gigs without any head coaching experience. I know Pitino in particular works the phones very hard for his assistants and former assistants, and ADs trust his advice for some reason.

Never confuse the zero standards set by UofL with raw coaching power. Pitino is so powerful that he's about to get pimp smacked by the NCAA, and that banner is going down with him.

Enes Kanter would have played college ball had he went to Duke. You know it, I know it, Duke knows it. K plays by different rules. That's why we hate that university so much. K is the most powerful, and it's really not close.

Reactions: Bluesnky

Really. Dude wake up and smell the poop you've been drinking. WTF.

Reactions: JC CATS
Really. Dude wake up and smell the poop you've been drinking. WTF.
I think you underestimate the penchant for political correctness at most universities- particularly elite universities. Banging some poor harlot and discarding her, then calling in the FBI on her, would not go over well.

Nah. Most POWERFUL person is absolutely coach K. Who else can decide how the refs call the game, control a recruit's decision by enthralling his mother, and of course guarantee a kid's eligibility simply by signing him?
and guarantee a kid's prosperity for the rest of his life.

WWW tied for 6th is laughable.
I'd be interested to know how many Coaches polled were employed by Top 20 programs. Reality is much different than perception.

Cal is #1 and everybody knows it, including the phony in Durham. It's why he changed his recruiting, it's why he has a pro day now, it's why he is worried, because Cal is at THE place.
The article is just trying to prop the phony up one last time to help his recruiting and to try hold Cal off for a little bit. Don't buy it for one second.

Don't think K needs any more help in recruiting right now.

As much as I hate to admit it, he does have 1 more title during Cal's UK tenure and is the only coach who has a claim to outrecruiting Cal as well.

So, i think it's pretty obvious only 2 coaches could conceivably be on this list. And they are 1 and 2.

What exactly makes Rick Pitino powerful?

Y'all I hate Coach K, but he is number 1. Genuinely surprised he didn't get more votes than he did. I wouldn't trade Cal for anyone. He made my beloved Cats fun again.

5-1

Nah. Most POWERFUL person is absolutely coach K. Who else can decide how the refs call the game, control a recruit's decision by enthralling his mother, and of course guarantee a kid's eligibility simply by signing him?

Yep, he's definitely replaced the John Wooden effect back in the day.

Cal isn't even close to the second most powerful man in the sport. He's hated by most of the NCAA, and even a good bit in his own profession.

Otis dumbfounded.

cards4413 139 posts
11 hours ago
Reading on CBS Sports page where they name the most powerful person in College Basketball, Coach P. came in 6th and i can't believe Tommy J. didn't make the top 10, but Coach K was #1 and Suck Cal #2

IF powerful means impact it's Cal 100%! Coach K has been trying to model everything Cal has done the last 8 years: one & done, pro-days, similar slogans....etc. Cal has changed the landscape of college basketball & whatever he does next the rest will follow.

Reactions: Cawood86
Cal isn't even close to the second most powerful man in the sport. He's hated by most of the NCAA, and even a good bit in his own profession.
Maybe, but they ALL know they have to change how they do things or get left in the dust. That's why he's #1.

Reactions: morgousky
Well K has been there for what, 36 years straight or so? So yeah I hate to say it but he's more than earned that top spot. As for Coach Cal, I have gone on record as saying that he is bigger, perhaps very much so, than our governor. I mean, how many in KY can name our coach versus those who know who our governor is? And how many people tuned in for Midnight Madness as opposed to the gov's State of the Commonwealth address...indeed how many even know there is such a thing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT