ADVERTISEMENT

CBS: UK winning despite Cal holding back Shep and Dilly

Just read this. The national media is catching on finally.
"Not starting his two best players and playing them for as many minutes as their young legs can hold for every meaningful game moving forward is just an unnecessary obstacle that might be what stands between a good Kentucky team and a great one."

I get wanting to help get D.J. out of his so-so play. Wouldn't it take pressure off of him to not start? I have to think the starting role was promised and this isn't the first time or season we have seen this type of situation.

But…but…but…. They still get their minutes.
Cal loves his holes dug deep...makes for better rock fights...

3Gb8Ywx.gif

Rob made some silly fouls early. Rob made some bad/difficult passes and got pulled. Cal put him in when the game mattered.

Reactions: awf and FltDoc
It’s not just about Reed. It’s about maximizing the time for the best players and best rotation.

It’s absolutely unacceptable for KY to have 3 points 6-7 minutes into a game. Like against MSU. The first 5 mins of each half are just as important as the last. It’s a recipe for losing games you should t or losing in the tourney. Creates a completely unnecessary lower margin for error.

I like how the first five mins of each half don’t seem to matter.
They do.

That's why I keep pointing out:

When Reed started vs UNC-Wilmington--we got off to a slow start and lost.
When Reed started vs UT--we got off to a slow start and lost.
When Reed started vs Gonzaga--slow start and lost.

The "If we'd just change the starters" argument hasn't proved true on multiple occasions. You guys keep talking hypotheticals. We have real world proof of what happens.

All three are about the same with TO's - Shep & Dilly 1.9 each and Wagner 1.7

Big difference in FG% - particularly in 3PT FG - Shep practically double than Wagner and it shows.
Sure.

No difference in slow starts. You guys keep saying we wouldn't start so slow if we'd start who you want. But when Reed was the starter--the offense still came out slow.

It’s not just about Reed. It’s about maximizing the time for the best players and best rotation.

It’s absolutely unacceptable for KY to have 3 points 6-7 minutes into a game. Like against MSU. The first 5 mins of each half are just as important as the last. It’s a recipe for losing games you should t or losing in the tourney. Creates a completely unnecessary lower margin for error.
Exactly! It’s like DJ has a contract that guarantees he will start. He used to start and then Sheppard would come in for him around the 15 min mark. Now DJ is lucky to play 2-3 mins before he’s getting subbed out. It’s just looks like he’s being given a starting spot to pacify or satisfy someone. I’d be embarrassed at this point if I were him.

They do.

The "If we'd just change the starters" argument hasn't proved true on multiple occasions. You guys keep talking hypotheticals. We have real world proof of what happens.
If only there were other factors, common denominators if you will, in those same games . . .🤔

No, but the writer failed to mention that we still started out slow when Sheppard started or Dilly has to sit a lot because he fouls
And you fail to mention that was the beginning of the season as well. I betcha your log in credentials it wouldn’t be that way now.

They do.

Hunter Dickinson and K McCullar have started every game Kansas has lost. Does that mean they shouldn’t start? You start your best players, your best lineup and try to get a lead. Then you sub to get other players mins and give your starters a blow. And that is usually when the opponents go to their bench and bring in players who aren’t as good as their starters.
For some reason Cal wants to start a lineup with one guy who is a threat to score (Reeves) and four guys who struggle to make a shot. Must be real hard for opponents to game plan how to defend KY at the start of the games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT