ADVERTISEMENT

CBS: UK winning despite Cal holding back Shep and Dilly

The stats don't show that when Sheppard has started, we have lost a majority of those games. They also don't show that Dillingham gets a little loose with the ball and gets sloppy on defense which negates his playing time...
The stats don’t show either of these? You do know that what you just referred to are known as “stats”?

They do.

That's why I keep pointing out:

When Reed started vs UNC-Wilmington--we got off to a slow start and lost.
When Reed started vs UT--we got off to a slow start and lost.
When Reed started vs Gonzaga--slow start and lost.

The "If we'd just change the starters" argument hasn't proved true on multiple occasions. You guys keep talking hypotheticals. We have real world proof of what happens.
I’ve said this many times. It’s playing THOSE 5 starters together that’s the killer. You can’t take DJ out, put Reed in and change that horrible lineup. UGO clogs the lane, takes away drives. Edwards can’t create his own shot. The 5 together don’t mix. Starting lineup of Reed. DJ. Reeves Edwards and Z allows drives, assists, scoring and spacing to start games fast. Just putting Reed in for DJ accomplished nothing. There were still 5 that don’t mesh together.

Eveyone knows but Cal. Some will say he knows best, its part of his process, plan, but you know, nothing in 8+ years.
Bette Davis Yes GIF

Also in games we win by 2, lose by 1, both which has happened in a week I think it's safe to say it matters.

Why dig a hole? Because he is honoring promises nothing to do with UK. And he knows when the chips are down he can't have those 5 finishing games.

Who ever has started 5 they never would finish with? Seriously, ever? There was Gatti, the teflon don. Cal is the transparent don. Everyone sees it. Yet he calls everyone bennies. Deflect much?

It is a good well researched article. Any FOOL can see we don't play our best players enough. at least everyone who has watched the games. Also the best 3 players on our team are RARELY on the court together. Finally about the new Cal and Zombie army: talking point to say Dillingham would play more if he didn't foul so much h. Do you know who LEADS the team in personal fouls so far this season; Reed Sheppard with 119 18 more than Dillingham. That crapolla is replacing the earlier Cal talking point that's STILL being parroted on here. Dilly plays too wild sometimes. You know who he is tied with for turnovers on the team stats for the year: Reed Sheppard. This duo also are the only 2 players on team with 100 or more assists on the year. The article is spot on. Not playing an NBA lottery pick AND one of the exsplosive guards in America 35 minutes a game is CRIMMINAL.

Florida beat us because Dilly missed a free throw & Reed didn't follow instructions & let his man shoot a 3.

Let's not pretend every loss is due to minute divisions. Good grief that's shallow!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: LmdCat and catben
Florida beat us because Dilly missed a free throw & Reed didn't follow instructions & let his man shoot a 3.

Let's not pretend every loss is due to minute divisions. Good grief that's shallow!
The game may not have come to that point late in the game with a different minutes division.
No one is saying or pretending every loss is due to minutes division. I haven’t seen one post say the Cats would be undefeated, just wouldn’t have as many losses.

Is it biased to point the the reality that Sheppard, Dillingham, and Reeves are our three best players, and Cal has seldom played them together this season?

Help me understand.
He has rarely played them together? They play together all of the time. They would play together more if Dilly would stay out of foul trouble. Do you watch the games or just get on here and complain? Do you know what confirmation bias means?

Reactions: gojvc
He has rarely played them together? They play together all of the time. They would play together more if Dilly would stay out of foul trouble. Do you watch the games or just get on here and complain? Do you know what confirmation bias means?
"He plays them all the time."

That's subjective on your end. There's been games where those three played between 5 to 10 minutes together, and it cost us victories.

For example, they hardly played together at all against Gonzaga and it cost us an actual win.

Did you actually watch that game or just get on here to deflect for Calipari?

Maybe watch it again.

It's not really the starters or total minutes. It's more about the lineups that work together getting time on the court together and those that don't, not playing together.

I have to think the starters (DJ, Reeves, Edwards, Thiero, Ugo) would have horrible efficiency numbers and should be out there together, ever. Ugo clogs the paint. DJ and Thiero are not shooters. Edwards barely above them. AKA - NO OFFENSIVE FLOW.

Before MSU, this was our efficiency with Reed, Rob, and Reeves. They should be on the court together for 60-70% of the game. For SEC play it's only been 29%.

Forget the starters and total minutes, put out the most effect lineups. That is clearly these 3 and rotate the 4 and 5. But don't put Thiero and Ugo out there together.

I’ve said this many times. It’s playing THOSE 5 starters together that’s the killer. You can’t take DJ out, put Reed in and change that horrible lineup. UGO clogs the lane, takes away drives. Edwards can’t create his own shot. The 5 together don’t mix. Starting lineup of Reed. DJ. Reeves Edwards and Z allows drives, assists, scoring and spacing to start games fast. Just putting Reed in for DJ accomplished nothing. There were still 5 that don’t mesh together.
jc4NpuD.gif

LOL!

Reed played 35 minutes. He had 32 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists. Cal sure is holding him back. What would he have scored if Cal played him all 40 minutes? 50? 60?

This is ridiculous.
To be fair that is a 1 game sample where he played 7 minutes more than his season average. I think the more important thing is that neither start and we tend to fall behind at the start of each half. This team has proven, while getting better, our defense has a hard time stringing together enough stops to make a come back game after game. If we fall behind by 10-15 during those 2 stretches and it turns into a shootout for the rest of the game we can't always stop the other team enough to come back.

Reactions: crestcat
Sheppard is 2nd on the team in minutes and Dillingham would be playing more if he didn't foul so much...

Geez...you and some of your agendas that scream that you want to be validated...
Shep is 28 mpg
Dj is 27 mog
Dilly 23 mpg

Those are rhe facts

Opinions
1. It’s not huge but why not play your best player at guard at least 32 mpg…give him a rest in first and second half
2. Dilly should play more then 23 minutes….he has fouled out one game all year (and in Tennessee game we were intentionally fouling down the stretch is why he did that game)
I get dilly does sit some due to picking up fouls but to not have him in the upper 20s for minutes or low 30” is not rationale
3. Reeves is top minute at 32 a game…and that’s right for him. He’s our best scorer, nearly beat shooter and he’s really improved defensively
4. So now it boils down to DJ….hes by far the lesser shooter of any guard. He’s not much of a passer/playmaker compared to Shep ….and even Dilly has more assists in less minutes. So defensive play is all you could argue…and DJ isn’t terrible….bit he’s far from a lockdown guy

This is just Cal and his good ole boy bullcrap at its best. And given how many narrow defeats we’ve had….a four minute swing here and there for these two nba level players is likely to be the difference in a few losses

They do.

That's why I keep pointing out:

When Reed started vs UNC-Wilmington--we got off to a slow start and lost.
When Reed started vs UT--we got off to a slow start and lost.
When Reed started vs Gonzaga--slow start and lost.

The "If we'd just change the starters" argument hasn't proved true on multiple occasions. You guys keep talking hypotheticals. We have real world proof of what happens.

4 other people started those games too.

We lost games with Anthony Davis starting. Chiefs lose games with Pat Mahomes starting. Every loss of Lebron's career he started...and on and on...

Starters are going to lose games.

That argument goes the other way. Lost the KU game. He didn't start, still managed 13 pts in 16 minutes, maybe had he played more he'd had scored a a few more, assisted a few more...3 other guys played 25+ that game and didn't do shit. Aggies...got a lot of minutes but didn't start and again a couple of starters didn't do diddly...LSU, not his best game, but didn't start perhaps if he had he'd have gotten a couple assists and shots that would have made a difference in the 1 pt game.

I don't think Cal is holding him back, and I understand different match ups affect things. But, let's not try to act like loses are solely on him when other guys are playing.

Early season I get tinkering around. Conditioning, chemistry with certain lineups, general lack of experience...Cal is learning, everyone is learning. Cool. At this point he's proven he's one of the best in the game, one of the best available come draft night (very important to Cal), one of the best we've probably seen wear the jersey even if his time will be short here. There's no excuse to not start him, or even sit him at any point other than foul trouble and exhaustion.

Reactions: crestcat
To be fair that is a 1 game sample where he played 7 minutes more than his season average. I think the more important thing is that neither start and we tend to fall behind at the start of each half. This team has proven, while getting better, our defense has a hard time stringing together enough stops to make a come back game after game. If we fall behind by 10-15 during those 2 stretches and it turns into a shootout for the rest of the game we can't always stop the other team enough to come back.
Very good point. Our defense is not good enough for us to be playing from behind.

The stats don't show that when Sheppard has started, we have lost a majority of those games. They also don't show that Dillingham gets a little loose with the ball and gets sloppy on defense which negates his playing time...
LOLOLOL..... what a joke.... Production by those 2 are way better than Wagner.... not even close.... buddy you are a lost ball in high weeds...

• Haha
Reactions: CincyUKFan
Shep is 28 mpg
Dj is 27 mog
Dilly 23 mpg

Those are rhe facts

Opinions
1. It’s not huge but why not play your best player at guard at least 32 mpg…give him a rest in first and second half
2. Dilly should play more then 23 minutes….he has fouled out one game all year (and in Tennessee game we were intentionally fouling down the stretch is why he did that game)
I get dilly does sit some due to picking up fouls but to not have him in the upper 20s for minutes or low 30” is not rationale
3. Reeves is top minute at 32 a game…and that’s right for him. He’s our best scorer, nearly beat shooter and he’s really improved defensively
4. So now it boils down to DJ….hes by far the lesser shooter of any guard. He’s not much of a passer/playmaker compared to Shep ….and even Dilly has more assists in less minutes. So defensive play is all you could argue…and DJ isn’t terrible….bit he’s far from a lockdown guy

This is just Cal and his good ole boy bullcrap at its best. And given how many narrow defeats we’ve had….a four minute swing here and there for these two nba level players is likely to be the difference in a few losses
Thanks for laying it wide open and bare for all to see . If you try arguing this you are cal fan and care less about winning than carrying Cal's water .

Reactions: KFuqua
Just read this. The national media is catching on finally.
"Not starting his two best players and playing them for as many minutes as their young legs can hold for every meaningful game moving forward is just an unnecessary obstacle that might be what stands between a good Kentucky team and a great one."
But, but, but it doesnt matter who starts only who finishes..regardless if we have to dig ourselves out of a hole at the start of every half. The only coach in the history of college BB who doesnt start 2 possibly 3 lottery picks!! Just let that sink in Calpuffers

Reactions: crestcat and KFuqua
Ummm.

Do you think others can’t access box scores?
Against Mississippi State? Dillingham?

I’m pretty sure anyone can access a box score, and until this moment I also thought anyone could read one…maybe I’m wrong on both accounts….

I do often have a personality flaw where I overestimate others capability.

I will try to do better…

I’m pretty sure anyone can access a box score, and until this moment I also thought anyone could read one…maybe I’m wrong on both accounts….

I will try to do better…
That says January 7th, chief. You’re citing the first matchup. Newsflash, we just played them and won 91-89 on a Sheppard game winner. And Dillingham played 16 minutes.

Congrats. You’ve just had one of the greatest self own moments on RR.

@Dncmaxwell I can help you get in touch with a therapist regarding this personality flaw you have of vastly overestimating your own capacity to cite the correct box score 🤣

Last edited:

I will try to do better…

That says January 7th, chief. You’re citing the first matchup. Newsflash, we just played them and won 91-89 on a Sheppard game winner. And Dillingham played 16 minutes.

Congrats. You’ve just had one of the greatest self own moments on RR.

@Dncmaxwell I can help you get in touch with a therapist regarding this personality flaw you have of vastly overestimating your own capacity to cite the correct box score 🤣
You missed the point my friend…

Yes, I posted the minutes he got when HE WAS NOT IN FOUL TROUBLE….

If you watch the game, and you may see that he was in FOUL TROUBLE and that reduced his minutes.

Unfortunately they have a limit. They only get 5. When a good player gets too many early, it is a good idea to sit him for awhile to ensure you have them later in the game. It’s just how basketball works…

So yes, if Dilly can stay out of foul trouble and stay in control, he will play more minutes. That is demonstrated by the data.

Cherry-picking one game with no context to make a point that has already been decided is one approach…just not a very good one.

It isn’t that hard my friend…it really isn’t…

Either facts drive opinions or opinions drive facts. You choose yours I’ll choose mine.

And Thanks for the offer, but not sure I’d take your referral of a therapist.

Like asking the mortician for medical advice.
Or a duck how to fix a car.

Anyway you are right…Dilly never plays…Cal hates him and is holding him back…you are right…You are good enough, you are smart enough and doggone it, people like you!!

Hope this makes you feel better.

Go Big Blue.

You missed the point my friend…

Yes, I posted the minutes he got when HE WAS NOT IN FOUL TROUBLE….

If you watch the game, and you may see that he was in FOUL TROUBLE and that reduced his minutes.

Unfortunately they have a limit. They only get 5. When a good player gets too many early, it is a good idea to sit him for awhile to ensure you have them later in the game. It’s just how basketball works…

So yes, if Dilly can stay out of foul trouble and stay in control, he will play more minutes. That is demonstrated by the data.

Cherry-picking one game with no context to make a point that has already been decided is one approach…just not a very good one.

It isn’t that hard my friend…it really isn’t…

Either facts drive opinions or opinions drive facts. You choose yours I’ll choose mine.

And Thanks for the offer, but not sure I’d take your referral of a therapist.

Like asking the mortician for medical advice.
Or a duck how to fix a car.

Anyway you are right…Dilly never plays…Cal hates him and is holding him back…you are right…You are good enough, you are smart enough and doggone it, people like you!!

Hope this makes you feel better.

Go Big Blue.
You doubling down? No one in this thread, including you, made mention of the previous game against MSU. You listed the minutes that both DJ (28) and Reed (35) played in the LAST game (good job, you were correct on those minutes!). Then, when asked to share how many minutes Dillingham played in the same game, you said 27.

Just admit you screwed up. Doing otherwise just makes it worse.

I’m thinking the “Dnc” in your username stands for “dunce” 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: UKortho
Cal has held Reed & Dilly back so much that their both projected high lottery picks now. Cals gotta stop holding them back, lol.

And poor Reed was held back so much at Miss St that he scored 32 & hit a game winner.

#1 Reed will play the same minutes whether he starts or comes in in a few minutes.

#2 Dilly cannot play as many minutes as Reed because he'll foul out or start getting out of control. Cal has to restrain both his fouls & control. Cal has handled Dilly marvously.

To be sure, you’re accusing some people of attributing “every loss to minute divisions” (I agree, there are several factors at play in any particular loss), but simultaneously putting all of the blame for one loss on the play of Dillingham and Reed? Seems rational.

@Cowtown Cat and @RunninRichie , looks like we found another one for the list I've been forming.
I won’t argue about the starting vs not starting topic because I can be convinced both ways. But where is the lie in what that poster said? He said Reed is second on the team in mins and Dilly gets in foul trouble too much.

Also, what happens to the people on your list?

Is there a list for folks who get caught actively rooting against Kentucky like @RunninRichie did?

Finally about the new Cal and Zombie army: talking point to say Dillingham would play more if he didn't foul so much h. Do you know who LEADS the team in personal fouls so far this season; Reed Sheppard with 119 18 more than Dillingham.
I've seen you post this a couple times and it is completely incorrect. Please stop saying it like it's fact.

How many games has Reed started alongside Dillingham and Reeves?
Good point here. Bend the few things we can all agree on is that these 3 should be playing together a lot. Whether you start them together or not, they should be on the floor. It’s also true that we play our worst ball when Reed starts and/or DJ is out, thus adding more fuel to the argument. But this trio is still rad

I won’t argue about the starting vs not starting topic because I can be convinced both ways. But where is the lie in what that poster said? He said Reed is second on the team in mins and Dilly gets in foul trouble too much.

Also, what happens to the people on your list?

Is there a list for folks who get caught actively rooting against Kentucky like @RunninRichie did?
Already explained this. If it means Kentucky can rid itself of a program killing coach. I’m all for it. Would rather we lose to force the AD/booster. Than toil in mediocrity and stay there for years. While other programs catch up to us.

He’ll never top Loser Tubby Smith annointing his JV son starting point guard at UK. No wonder the media, who hates us, wanted us to keep him. We had become the laughing stock of blue bloods. Saul! Lmao.
How many tournament games did loser Tubby Smith win in his worst 4 year stretch? How many SEC titles? Here's a hint; it was more playing his son at PG than Cal did playing future NBA stars.

Already explained this. If it means Kentucky can rid itself of a program killing coach. I’m all for it. Would rather we lose to force the AD/booster. Than toil in mediocrity and stay there for years. While other programs catch up to us.
So we are a top 15 team trending up at the moment.........Go Hogs right? Or nah?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT