ADVERTISEMENT

MJ reporting Doug Sirmons not doing any more UK games....

The reason he won't be scheduled is because of the situation from Saturday. No one, the SEC or UK wants that to happen again. It's pretty obvious he has an agenda against Cal, or at the least, him and Cal have major problems, so he won't work anymore UK games in the SEC. Once tourney play starts, all bets are off bc the NCAA schedules officials, not the individual conference. In a sense, he is kind of banned from doing UK games in the regular season.

You have a link stating as much? I've seen nothing stating that is true. I've not seen where he was on the schedule for us and then removed or anything stating that he was removed due to one game. I know you may want to believe this but I've not seen anything substantial stating that the schedule is anymore than a coincidence.

I remember when that happened. The ref called a technical on Murray for "cussing at him" but I can't remember who the referee was.
That was Brian Shey who was also the third referee in the USC game with Sirmons and Adams.

Reactions: TIE543
The reason he won't be scheduled is because of the situation from Saturday. No one, the SEC or UK wants that to happen again. It's pretty obvious he has an agenda against Cal, or at the least, him and Cal have major problems, so he won't work anymore UK games in the SEC. Once tourney play starts, all bets are off bc the NCAA schedules officials, not the individual conference. In a sense, he is kind of banned from doing UK games in the regular season.
Did this ruling come from the league office, or was it because he wasn't scheduled. Could you clarify that>

Did this ruling come from the league office, or was it because he wasn't scheduled. Could you clarify that>

Jones didn't say exactly but from what he said, it sounded like the SEC office isn't going to schedule him anymore. So you can assume from what Jones said, that if he was scheduled, he isn't anymore.

This is why I LOVE Cal!

IMHO, the very reason he was so irate to the point of ejection was to send a message to the NCAA that he didn't want this Referee to work any of our games in the Tournament and it worked.

Cal accomplished so many things by getting thrown out at SC:
-Got the team to rally around themselves
-Got the team to fight for a win for him and themselves
-Got Coach Payne some exposure and recognition for our big win
-Got rid of a horrible Ref that seems to have a beef against Cal and UK

Coach Cal works EVERY angle possible to benefit our program!!!
Hindsight is the best knowledge but I seriously doubt Cal even intended to get booted from the game and all of your angles (which are good results after the fact) were not even thoughts of his at that time it was going down.

No coach has a game plan of being ejected as a method to achieve some kind of goal. Every coach would rather be on the bench coaching espically when their team is playing in a big game and has been playing exceptionaly leading up to that game.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
That South Carolina ref crew was our worst nightmare and we still beat the snot out of them. I like that. I hope that stuck in their craw sideways.

Jones didn't say exactly but from what he said, it sounded like the SEC office isn't going to schedule him anymore. So you can assume from what Jones said, that if he was scheduled, he isn't anymore.

It is really unwise to ass u me anything!

There has never been a worse referee than Karl Hess period, end of story !!!!
Who was that old fart ref who is looking down at the player lying on the baseline with the ball in his hand and allowed play to continue? I think it was a UNC or Duke game. He has to be the worst ref I've ever seen.

It is really unwise to ass u me anything!

true, but in this situation I will assume the most logical. If he wasn't scheduled to do anymore UK games before the USC game, then why say it like he did. You would just say, he's not scheduled anymore so Doug Sirmons is a moot point

I don't like that simply because if he didn't have a vendetta before against Cal, he surely would now and if he refs a UK game in the tourny he could be equally as bad as we have seen recently.

I think it will be the other way around. All eyes are on him, now. If he pulls this crap again, his career may be threatened. It would be in his best interest to kiss Cal and Kentucky's ass, almost like how officials do "makeup" calls after a bad call the other way.

Come to think of it. I hope he refs all our games from here on out. Try and show your bias again and see what happens....

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Who was that old fart ref who is looking down at the player lying on the baseline with the ball in his hand and allowed play to continue? I think it was a UNC or Duke game. He has to be the worst ref I've ever seen.

Might be thinking of our guy Jim Burr

521824_4884194115079_838044078_n.jpg

The reason I ask is your comment "The reason he won't be scheduled is because of the situation from Saturday"

If he wasn't scheduled to call any more SEC games, it indicates to me that it might not be because of the incident Sat. Huge difference.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Who was the ref early in the season that made a questionable call and Cal said something to the effect that he's going to watch the film and if he's lieing he's through?
Not sure of his name but the guy went out to the grocery store one day and never was heard from again. His vehicle was found down by the tracks next to the Hudson River.

Reactions: awf
He won't be doing any LilBrothel NCAAT games either....

Or Memphis, or LSU, or UCLA, or Ohio State.

How this guy is considered one of the best by being able to do a S16 or E8 game is beyond me.

The referee ranks need some new blood.

Hindsight is the best knowledge but I seriously doubt Cal even intended to get booted from the game and all of your angles (which are good results after the fact) were not even thoughts of his at that time it was going down.

No coach has a game plan of being ejected as a method to achieve some kind of goal. Every coach would rather be on the bench coaching espically when their team is playing in a big game and has been playing exceptionaly leading up to that game.

You don't pay attention to Cal if you don't think he has a plan for EVERY move he makes.

That's what makes him the very best coach for UK Basketball.

The Big 12 tourney is big for UK in that he won't be at SEC tourney

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio
Source tells KSR that Doug Sirmons won't call anymore UK games this regular season. He is also "Big 12 primary" so he does Big 12 tourney

wow great news. Cal knows how to get his point across. The NCAA probably recieved tons of backlash over it and doesn't want anything else to happen. I'm not worried about the tournament. Semons would be on his best behavior. All eyes watching.

If you go back and watch the 2012 tournament, officiating was precise.

I wouldn't go that far. I remember they called one game really close (several guys finished the IU game in foul trouble on both sides) and I remember once we built that lead on Kansas they had to prectically commit a felony to get whistled.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Does anyone know if this came from the league office or did Sirmons take himself off the schedule

Not ignoring you. Asking the same questions myself. Frankly, I think the answer is "neither". The schedule was set and we weren't on Sirmons docket. I'm the first to admit though, I have no proof at all and I stand to be corrected. Just using common sense at this point.

I know that people want to believe that he screwed over KY so bad he got kicked off our schedule. Right now, I don't believe this for two reasons. First, I don't think enough time as elapsed for the conference to reach that sort of conclusion. Second, if they've concluded that he sucks so bad he can't call our games, I don't think the conference would accept him anywhere else either. We're just one basketball team and the same as any other as far as the conference is concerned. Trite as it may sound, if he sucks, he sucks.

This is very interesting, regardless. Really curious about any links or verifiable information folks might have.

Not ignoring you. Asking the same questions myself. Frankly, I think the answer is "neither". The schedule was set and we weren't on Sirmons docket. I'm the first to admit though, I have no proof at all and I stand to be corrected. Just using common sense at this point.

I know that people want to believe that he screwed over KY so bad he got kicked off our schedule. Right now, I don't believe this for two reasons. First, I don't think enough time as elapsed for the conference to reach that sort of conclusion. Second, if they've concluded that he sucks so bad he can't call our games, I don't think the conference would accept him anywhere else either. We're just one basketball team and the same as any other as far as the conference is concerned. Trite as it may sound, if he sucks, he sucks.

This is very interesting, regardless. Really curious about any links or verifiable information folks might have.
^^This guy. Smh

Buzz Peterson, former UNC player and UT coach, tweeted this the other day....
Buzz Peterson ‏@BuzzPeterson Feb 13Marvin, NC
What Doug Sirmons did today is absolutely embarrassing to college officiating. He has a short fuse and coaches for years have complained.

1,672 retweets1,401 likes

In fact I think his last 3 tweets have been about Sirmons, including this one....
Buzz Peterson ‏@BuzzPeterson Feb 13Marvin, NC
This is an expensive day for Doug Sirmons. Either private jets or a couple of body guards from here out.

Maybe I missed something...anybody know what this one's about? Did Sirmons get fined?

Re-read his twitter account, and all 3 tweets were on the day of the game. So that makes sense. Guess he was kind of fired up after watching that play where Cal got ejected. Obviously no love from Buzz about Sirmons either.

Briscoe, in celebration, slammed the ball on the floor and let it bounce away. That is a T. Yes, he could have been given a warning; but a T is not was not incorrect.
didn't really have a problem with that -but it wasn't called until after Briscoe went over the Murray and shoved him. That's where my issue was

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Briscoe, in celebration, slammed the ball on the floor and let it bounce away. That is a T. Yes, he could have been given a warning; but a T is not was not incorrect.
I agree that is a T. However, when you watch the replay initially nothing was called. Then a few moments later when Murray and Briscoe are celebrating Sirmons comes in from half court and calls a T. Well after the ball was slammed. My problem with it, should have been called immediately and was not his call to make IMO. Same things with the USC player, he stormed across the court to call that, with another official standing right beside Briscoe.

Thanks .... I did not catch that.

I agree that is a T. However, when you watch the replay initially nothing was called. Then a few moments later when Murray and Briscoe are celebrating Sirmons comes in from half court and calls a T. Well after the ball was slammed. My problem with it, should have been called immediately and was not his call to make IMO. Same things with the USC player, he stormed across the court to call that, with another official standing right beside Briscoe.

In other words you are saying they got the call right. The reason I ask I'm naturally a little bias for the refs as I used to do that. One poster told me it was supposed to be the lead officials call. He was referring to the WKU game where they had 6 players on the floor.

I didn't remember our manual saying that, of course the rules could have changed. I would think any situation where all officials could see the violation that it is anyone's call, especially if there was a tech foul involved.

I'm assuming the third official was brought in for that reason among others. I think the 3 officials are the reason for those delayed calls, waiting for someone else to call it. jmho

Reactions: kybassfan and awf
In other words you are saying they got the call right. The reason I ask I'm naturally a little bias for the refs as I used to do that. One poster told me it was supposed to be the lead officials call. He was referring to the WKU game where they had 6 players on the floor.

I didn't remember our manual saying that, of course the rules could have changed. I would think any situation where all officials could see the violation that it is anyone's call, especially if there was a tech foul involved.

I'm assuming the third official was brought in for that reason among others. I think the 3 officials are the reason for those delayed calls, waiting for someone else to call it. jmho
If your referring to my post about 6 people on the floor, I never said only the lead official can make the call..any could, but I would assume if your a lead official and no one calls it, ultimately it is your responsibility in a dead ball situation. There was no technical assessed by anyone. There is no positioning on the floor that needs to be held to count to 6. In short however, that isn't the sum of roger Ayers paycheck collecting performances.

You don't pay attention to Cal if you don't think he has a plan for EVERY move he makes.

That's what makes him the very best coach for UK Basketball.
Again, no coach plans to get ejected from the biggest conference game of the season espically when their teams is one of the hottest in the country.

Not trying to argue with you. Cals a great coach but that move was not planned. If you believe it go for it. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT